PDA

View Full Version : Josh Paul: author

saltwater farmer
10-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Best itdbit from the booth tonight was that Josh Paul is working on a book about pitch selection. McCarver said he's been interviewing current and retired catchers for it. I'm looking forward to reading that book; could be very innersting. Let's give him a few weeks in October to work on it!

SoxFan78
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I wonder if there will be a chapter about tagging a hitter after a low third strike??

RKMeibalane
10-13-2005, 09:19 AM
I wonder if there will be a chapter about tagging a hitter after a low third strike??

:jerry

"I hope there will be chapter on versitility."

PaleHoseGeorge
10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
It could be worse. Josh could be writing a book on how to run the bases. Or how to set up for the pitch out. Or how to umpire your own game on dropped third strikes. Or maybe even a chapter on how to play pop flies in left field at the HumpDome.

He's an expert on everything.

:versatile
"Jerry Manuel said it best. I'm versatile."

CubKilla
10-13-2005, 09:23 AM

It should be the first chapter under the subheading: "Erring on the Side of Caution..... what most cathers do and what all catchers SHOULD do."

EastCoastSoxFan
10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
I was extremely disappointed in the way Josh Paul handled the post-game interviews. Not only did he not take his share of the blame for what happened on the play, but he refused to even acknowledge that it was a borderline call. There was a 2 minute+ excerpt of his interview on the L.A. Times web site, and, when asked about tossing the ball back to the mound, said (and I'm not quoting out of context), "...I take no responsibility for that..."
Maybe it was just heat-of-the-moment post-game frustration, but I would have hoped that he would have been more of a standup guy than that...

RKMeibalane
10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
I was extremely disappointed in the way Josh Paul handled the post-game interviews. Not only did he not take his share of the blame for what happened on the play, but he refused to even acknowledge that it was a borderline call. There was a 2 minute+ excerpt of his interview on the L.A. Times web site, and, when asked about tossing the ball back to the mound, said (and I'm not quoting out of context), "...I take no responsibility for that..."
Maybe it was just heat-of-the-moment post-game frustration, but I would have hoped that he would have been more of a standup guy than that...

I agree, but I think there's larger issue involved. Josh Paul is a third-string catcher. Most teams don't carry three catches unless there's some sort of emergency. Paul has to realize that if he screws up too many times, he's probably going to be gone. I'm just glad he's not the Sox probablem anymore. He did more to help the Sox last night then he did when he was playing for them.

34 Inch Stick
10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
He should title the book, How to Make a Playoff Roster Without Really Trying.

SOXPHILE
10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
:santo
"I wonder if he'll want to interview me ? I could help him if there's a chapter on shameless self promotion, and selling a phony image of yourself as a good guy. Gosh, I wish someone would pay attention to me this fall and winter."

JohnBasedowYoda
10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Up next "the quotable Konerko"

CLR01
10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
It could be worse. Josh could be writing a book on how to run the bases. Or how to set up for the pitch out. Or how to umpire your own game on dropped third strikes. Or maybe even a chapter on how to play pop flies in left field at the HumpDome.

He's an expert on everything.

:versatile
"Jerry Manuel said it best. I'm versatile."

Give it time, he will get to those subjects. He will have plenty of time on the bench to work on them.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
WGN-TV actually sent a reporter to Josh's parent's house in Buffalo Grove to get his old man's point of view.

Big surprise. He stuck up for his kid. Paraphrasing, "If my li'l Joshy says he caught the ball, I believe him. Those umpires blew it!"

:roflmao:

I tell you what, it was actually an insightful bit of journalism. You wonder how Josh Paul can stand in front of the cameras and play Holy Innocent about his boneheaded play? He's just a chip off the old block.

:cool:

MUsoxfan
10-13-2005, 09:43 PM
WGN-TV actually sent a reporter to Josh's parent's house in Buffalo Grove to get his old man's point of view.

Channel 7 did that as well. They seemed to make a big deal out of how both his parents are Angels fans now. Who else would they be cheering for?:?:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Channel 7 did that as well. They seemed to make a big deal out of how both his parents are Angels fans now. Who else would they be cheering for?:?:

It sounds like Ol' Man Paul has a pretty good publicist on retainer. He reminds me exactly of Mike Huff's old man who used to call into the Score back in the early 90's defending his kid and giving everyone updates on Mighty Mike's brilliant MLB career.

:tongue:

When you have as little talent as a Josh Paul or a Mike Huff, it's almost a requirement to have a delusional father pushing them along.

:cool:

BarbG
10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
When you have as little talent as a Josh Paul or a Mike Huff, it's almost a requirement to have a delusional father pushing them along.
I was thinking the exact same thing, what a chip off the "no-way-possible-I-could-have-ever-been-mistaken" block.

I was ROLLING though, when Daddy said it's impossible for him to have made a mistake because he got a 28 on his ACTs! WHAT??

Maybe if he made a 30 he actually throws out Ozuna at 2nd base. Of course, nobody asked Daddy about that.

(My daughter got a 34, maybe she can catch in the Majors?!?)

Catcher's ACT scores being considered a factor for decision of close play. Now I HAVE heard everything!

nasox
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
This reminds me. Didn't somebody on the Fox broadcast say that Josh Paul is a future manager? Maybe it was ESPN, I can't remember