PDA

View Full Version : Best atmosphere ever?

antitwins13
10-13-2005, 12:38 AM
I was in right field for game two of the ALCS and it was the best atmosphere I've ever seen at the Cell which blew away the previous one where Valentin hit a walk off to beat the Cubs, but I'm young, have any other Sox fans been to a game with a better atmosphere than game 2 of the ALCS?

GoGoSoxReborn
10-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Not better but equal... game 1 and 2 of the ALDS against Boston were pretty incredible!

Also during those games there was a little more to cheer for on the offensive side of the ball, so during the game the crowd was a little more into it.

Nellie_Fox
10-13-2005, 12:47 AM
I do wish people would drop the "ever" qualifier on everything. Baseball has been around longer than any of us have been alive. We can't judge "ever." I suspect that the atmosphere was probably pretty good at the 1906 World Series.

chisoxfanatic
10-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Not better but equal... game 1 and 2 of the ALDS against Boston were pretty incredible!

I was at both of those games, as well as tonight's game. I'd say the crowd was louder tonight for Crede than it was for Iguchi when he hit that three-run bomb to complete the five-run inning in Game 2 of the ALDS.

LuvSox
10-13-2005, 12:57 AM
I do wish people would drop the "ever" qualifier on everything. Baseball has been around longer than any of us have been alive. We can't judge "ever." I suspect that the atmosphere was probably pretty good at the 1906 World Series.

I agree.

What was it like when there was no outfield wall, just a rope separating the players from the spectators?

Loud and obnoxious, I imagine.

Etownsox13
10-13-2005, 12:59 AM
I was in right field for game two of the ALCS and it was the best atmosphere I've ever seen at the Cell which blew away the previous one where Valentin hit a walk off to beat the Cubs, but I'm young, have any other Sox fans been to a game with a better atmosphere than game 2 of the ALCS?

Yeah I was at the Valentin game too and at game 1...I don't know pregame before game 1 was great. It seemed like a madhouse when they won tonight watching on t.v. Game 6 when they win the pennant is going to be madness

skobabe8
10-13-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah I was at the Valentin game too and at game 1...I don't know pregame before game 1 was great. It seemed like a madhouse when they won tonight watching on t.v. Game 6 when they win the pennant is going to be madness

I like the way you think...

SouthSide_HitMen
10-13-2005, 01:05 AM
I've been to every home game during the playoffs and this was by far the best. People stuck around and didn't want to leave. Everyone was going nuts.

I agree with Nellie about the "ever" tag. I doubt the 1906 World Series had a better atmosphere only because they didn't draw much (in their much smaller parks) in those days. I know there were awesome games / atmosphere at the old park - during 1977 & 1983. The final weekend was awesome at the park. I am sure fans around during the 1950s have some great stories to tell as well.

I would say at the new park this was the best which I have been to - at least since the Carlos Lee walkoff against the Cubs the day David Wells puked on the mound and didn't last the first inning. The Crede walkoff game against the Toons was awesome as well but many left the park by that point.

PS - Check out my favorite White Sox (as listed all season).

Favorite Current Sox Player:
Mark Buehrle, Joe Crede, AJ Pierzynski :cool:

whitesoxwin
10-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Better than Game 1, but still not as electric as the ALDS....except for the bottom of the 9th inning with all the suspense and of course...

And that's a White Sox Winner!!!!

Unregistered
10-13-2005, 01:09 AM
I don't know. Compare 41,000 screaming, clapping, banging, chanting fans with around 19,000 probably less rowdy, possibly just clapping fans 100 years ago - I think this atmosphere would easily have that beat, at least volume-wise.

Nellie_Fox
10-13-2005, 01:11 AM
I don't know. Compare 41,000 screaming, clapping, banging, chanting fans with around 19,000 probably less rowdy, possibly just clapping fans 100 years ago - I think this atmosphere would easily have that beat, at least volume-wise.My point is that everybody keeps talking about the best ever, or the worst ever on all kinds of things.

I'm here to tell you that I was at old Comiskey before they put in the luxury boxes and the place still held over 55,000, and it was sold out. It got very, very loud in there.

I'm just saying ask if it's the best you've ever seen, not "the best ever" because we can't judge "ever".

By the way, on what do you base your assumption that fans in the early part of the last century just politely clapped and were less rowdy? It is documented that the fans used to throw bottles out of the stands at the players and umpires.

Unregistered
10-13-2005, 01:15 AM
My point is that everybody keeps talking about the best ever, or the worst ever on all kinds of things.

I'm here to tell you that I was at old Comiskey before they put in the luxury boxes and the place still held over 55,000, and it was sold out. It got very, very loud in there.

I'm just saying ask if it's the best you've ever seen, not "the best ever" because we can't judge "ever".
I can imagine how loud a sold-out Old Comiskey must've been. I was even at the last game there, but I can't honestly say I remember how loud it was. '83 alone must've been something...

CHISOXFAN13
10-13-2005, 01:17 AM
My point is that everybody keeps talking about the best ever, or the worst ever on all kinds of things.

By the way, on what do you base your assumption that fans in the early part of the last century just politely clapped and were less rowdy? It is documented that the fans used to throw bottles out of the stands at the players and umpires.

The original poster's statement was it was the best atmosphere he's ever seen. IMO, there's nothing wrong with posting that and he seems to be taking a beating for it.

He's not saying it was the best atmosphere ever in the history of this franhchise.

The title is misleading and probably should be edited, but the context of his post was his opinion on loudest ever.

Unregistered
10-13-2005, 01:18 AM
By the way, on what do you base your assumption that fans in the early part of the last century just politely clapped and were less rowdy? It is documented that the fans used to throw bottles out of the stands at the players and umpires.I'm not saying they were less rowdy - just possibly less noisy.

Twice the attendance, plus the giant sound system, the crowd chants, hell - even those stupid thunderstix - all the modern madness that gets a crowd screaming at the top of their lungs in unison makes me think that 1906 would appear tame in comparison.

BainesHOF
10-13-2005, 01:27 AM
As far as this year goes, I think it's going to be hard to top Game 1 vs. Boston until we win the World Series. There was an incredible release of raw emotion coming out of so many people in the crowd. It was our first playoff win at home since the first game of the 1959 World Series. The frustration and disappointments had been building up for decades afterward and it was as if a bottle that was shaken for years was finally uncorked.

Three of the four playoff games so far have been extra special kind of victories for different reasons. Tonight's obviously was the best finish. Lots of people stayed at their seats and cheered for 15 minutes after the game ended. It was incredible and unforgettable.

I was a bit surprised by the atmosphere and mood of the crowd outside the park after tonight's game. Everyone was certainly happy and buzzing and celebrating, but I thought the crowd after Games 1 and 2 against Boston were louder and wilder outside afterward. I think everyone was cheering so loudly and then so wildly for so long inside the park after Crede's hit that by the time everyone departed we felt a bit drained. The crowd was still on a great high, but it was a bit spent.

Here's to hoping they'll be a lot more to celebrate this season.

Gavin
10-13-2005, 01:30 AM

Jesus Christ. The kid was just asking a question that would have invited nostalgic responses. I don't see the point in "correcting" him and playing semantics.

Domeshot17
10-13-2005, 01:37 AM
This atmosphere falls into my top 3 "ever"

I was at the Valentin homer game, and that was un real.

BUT, The CROWD knew what this game meant. So I truly believe because of the importance, the Valentin home run falls near 4 or 5, for the reason Cubs Sox draw plenty of people who say tadahito iguchi properly, but love to root against the cubs and get rowdy

(3) Game 2 ALDS- The Crowd was unreal after tadahitos Home Run. It was won of few games I have ever been too that could give you chills hearing it

(2) Cleveland, in what then was a must win, crucial game, Joe Crede hits a 10th inning walk off, and 24,000 people sound like 42,000 in insanity, when you get that small of a crowd, that loud, its unreal

(1) IMO, I wasnt at game 1, so this is my top 3, But tonight, almost every stayed and went nuts for 10-15 minutes after the game. Game 2 2-3 minutes, Credes maybe 4, This game, the Crowd Chanted Crede for atleast 5 minutes after the game, along with screams and other lets go white sox chants. I have never experienced anything like it

whitesoxwin
10-13-2005, 01:39 AM

Good Point....

chisoxfan83
10-13-2005, 01:52 AM
don't forget during that 10-15 min go go white sox played then they started thunderstruck again! I love that song:bandance: I am happy enough to be able to go and experience that. Just think for those that were there we witnessed in person something our fathers, grandfathers, etc. never witnessed an ALCS victory at home...I love being part of history! Go sox take 2 or 3 in Anaheim!!!!

Brian26
10-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Have any other Sox fans been to a game with a better atmosphere than game 2 of the ALCS?

Game 2 of the ALDS.

The 2nd game of the Indians series when Crede hit the walk-off bomb off Riske.

twsoxfan5
10-13-2005, 09:28 AM

I believe this poster was saying that it was the best playoff atmosphere that he has ever seen. Since it was his opinion I think that it is just fine that he uses ever. The last home game in the ALDS and yesterdays game were the best games I have ever been to and I think I can say that b/c I was not at the 1906 World Series.

ChicagoHoosier
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
To me, who went to ALDS game 1 and 2 and ALCS game 2, they all had different electricity. Game 1 of the ALDS was excitement and anticipation, and then the scoring after scoring just made it euphoric. Game 2 was more nervous, tense, but that five run inning had everyone going nuts.

Game 2 last night was LOUD. I was in the UD for both Game 2s and I think last night was louder. But, before the game, I think there was a nervousness (i know I felt it) and it kept people more subdued. It was once the game got going that the stadium got louder. 9th inning was amazing.

Game 1 of the ALDS was an experience I'll never forget.

Procol Harum
10-13-2005, 09:46 AM

Ah, history, history....our lives make but for a short perspective on reality. Thank you, Nelson.

Brian26
10-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Honestly, it's all relative. Most people who had the opportunity to go to last night's game are going to claim it was the greatest crowd ever because they want to say they were a part of it and experienced it. Whatever. A win is a win.

pdimas
10-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Anyone stick around to sing "Sweet Home Chicago"? That was fun :D:

kevingrt
10-13-2005, 10:21 AM
In my 18 years of being a White Sox fan, and yes I'm 18 years old, I have never heard Comiskey or US Cellular that loud. It seemed like every fan was into the game. Everytime we got to two outs I know the whole section around me in the upper deck 1st base line was on their feet. Absolutely amazing! The place was rocking!

And when Joe hit that ball I never have heard that place louder and more jumpy. Farmer puts it perfect when right after Rooney says "a White Sox winner", Farmer goes, "the fans are going nuts!". Absolutely amazing time.

And some other poster mentioned it. How many fans stuck around for like 10 minutes after the game.

What a GAME

Settembrini
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM

I'm pretty sure that, 99 times out of 100, kids these days use "ever" as in "best ever," hyperbolically.

The Dude
10-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Game 1 & 2 were hands down the best two games I have ever seen. Last night, Game 2 ALCS, wasnt even close. The people struggled to get up for big pitches, didnt cheer very loudly, and were weak as hell going down the ramps. Games 1 & 2 ALDS, you couldnt even hear yourself down the ramps because everyone was pumped and chanting, ta-da-hi-to, or Lets Go White Sox! I didnt know what to blame yesterday on...because the crowd was very laid back and quiet. Maybe it was a first game for a lot of the rich people who got tickets. I have no idea, but hope if there is a game 6 that the ALDS crowds return!

ChiSoxGirl
10-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Game 2 last night was LOUD. I was in the UD for both Game 2s and I think last night was louder. But, before the game, I think there was a nervousness (i know I felt it) and it kept people more subdued. It was once the game got going that the stadium got louder. 9th inning was amazing.

Well said! I was at Game 2 of the ALDS last week- The Iguchi Game- and I thought that was the loudest I'd ever heard that ballpark... until last night. I was fortunate enough to be down in 106 yesterday and every single time Buehrle had two strikes on a guy, everybody around me and the surrounding sections stood up. And for that matter, each time the Sox were in a situation offensively where the possibility of something positive was occurring, we were up.

DieTrying79 & I stayed in the ballpark until the middle of Ozzie's press conference and the feeling around me was euphoric. I high-fived and hugged so many people I'd never met in my life last night- it was insane! I sung along (loudly) to each song they played after the game (resulting in a strained voice) and just took everything in. I loved just looking in the stands at the amount of people who simply weren't budging to leave, but rather stayed to rock out and celebrate! I get goosebumps just thinking about it! I loved everything about last night and it's definitely a game I will never, ever forget being a part of. :bandance:

GoSox2K3
10-13-2005, 10:44 AM

I took the question to mean the best we've personally ever seen. My, my, people seem a little testy on this site this morning.... :smile:

And my answer is YES - it was the best atmosphere at a game that I have ever been to.:)

The Critic
10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree.

What was it like when there was no outfield wall, just a rope separating the players from the spectators?

Loud and obnoxious, I imagine.

You know Grampappy Cleatus Ligue LOVED it back then...
"ahhhh, those were the days....just duck under the rope and the coach was ALL YOURS....."

:redneck

It got pretty darn loud during that 5-run rally on September 19th against Cleveland, too. I haven't been to the playoff games, but they sounded crazy loud during the Boston series too. That AJ walkoff game vs. L.A. ( the REAL L.A., not the Orange County variety :D: ) sounded pretty crazy on the radio as well.
This year has given us MANY reasons to cheer and "go nuts" as Farmer says.....and the best is yet to come, baseball gods willing.....

kninchicago
10-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I have no idea, but hope if there is a game 6 that the ALDS crowds return!

I was there for ALDS game 1 and I'll be at ALCS game 6! ALDS game 1 was out of control crazy. I was in Section 104 and people were just so hyped the entire game. I hope it's like that for Game 6 since that'll be the night they win the ALCS.

spiffie
10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Game 1 & 2 were hands down the best two games I have ever seen. Last night, Game 2 ALCS, wasnt even close. The people struggled to get up for big pitches, didnt cheer very loudly, and were weak as hell going down the ramps. Games 1 & 2 ALDS, you couldnt even hear yourself down the ramps because everyone was pumped and chanting, ta-da-hi-to, or Lets Go White Sox! I didnt know what to blame yesterday on...because the crowd was very laid back and quiet. Maybe it was a first game for a lot of the rich people who got tickets. I have no idea, but hope if there is a game 6 that the ALDS crowds return!
I think the ramps were a bit quieter due to the fact people weren't leaving. And the crowd got loud when there were reasons get loud. Was game 1 of the ALDS more sustained volume? Of course it was, we were scoring nearly every inning. Game 2 ALDS the place was a morgue until Iguchi's homerun. Last night was an ugly tight game, and the offense was dead. The crowd was loud for MB when he was pitching, and everytime we had a chance to do something the crowd got up. And the 20,000 or so people there 10-15 minutes after the game ended sure seemed pretty fired up. But to try and compare crowd reaction during a 1-1 game where we go 7 2/3 innings without a run to the way the crowd acts during a 5 HR game is just apples and oranges.

batmanZoSo
10-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Last night, the crowd seemed electric compared to Game 1 but that's because we scored right away and made plays right out of the gate. Buehrle had some nice strikeouts and we even scored a run in the first inning. So, in regards to yesterday's crowd thread, this proves that crowd electricity = team performance. Naturally, the intensity level is elevated by virtue of these being playoff games, but you still gotta give 'em something to get loud about.

Procol Harum
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
You know Grampappy Cleatus Ligue LOVED it back then...
"ahhhh, those were the days....just duck under the rope and the coach was ALL YOURS....."

:redneck

Aiiiiiieeeee! Post o' the day....

mweflen
10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
ALDS was better. Too many wealthy corporate schlubs at the ALCS yakking on cell phones and sitting on their hands (I was at Game 1 of both series).

Stoky44
10-13-2005, 02:13 PM
For me the loudest and craziest time I have seen in my 22 1/2 years....
September 27, 1993

Bo Jackson's 3-run shot.
Burks catching the final out in right.
Karko and McCaskill embracing just in front of the plate.

The place went nuts. Thousands of people were waving white sox (something I think we should bring back, way better than "rally towels"). I can remember people throwing full toilet paper rolls from the upper deck. And the guy next to me took is uneaten nacho cheese and threw it. There were people throwing cups of pop and beer. Craziness.

CaptainBallz
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Big ups to all the ALCS Game 2 Sec 109 crew!! It was so awesome being around so many smart, knowledgeable, and intense fans--- I think it took the cake from ALDS Game 2---for the only reason being that the crowd was pretty knocked out until that amazing fifth inning.

Yesterday it was from first pitch to the end...So many chants, everybody standing for basically the entire game, the rounds of hugs from all the complete strangers after Crede came through...simply amazing.

BEST....GAME....EVER!!!!

gosox83
10-14-2005, 12:23 AM
I have been to TONS of White Sox games since my first in 1983 and after tonight I have an All Time Best one. THIS ONE ROCKED!!! The crowd was AWESOME! I loved staying after the game and just going HAYWIRE.

Just hugging random Sox fans.

UTTER MAYHEM AND I LOVED IT!!

I CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE WHEN WE CLINCH THE CHAMPIONSHIP AT HOME AGAINST THE CARDS!!!!!!:D:

DSpivack
10-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that, 99 times out of 100, kids these days use "ever" as in "best ever," hyperbolically.

I think "kids these days" is as much hyperbole as is "the best ever."
:tongue:

nasox
10-14-2005, 11:30 AM
I think "kids these days" is as much hyperbole as is "the best ever."
:tongue:

SHOT DOWN! ZING! :D: