PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Slide?

TheArmyOfNeems
10-12-2005, 11:44 PM
My dad said that some angel made an illegal slide into iguchi yesterday which caused him to overthrow the ball. Nobody noticed this play. What exacataly happened? This is why i love baseball so much :cool:

SoxFan64
10-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Must be talking about the play where Guchi airmailed the ball over PK's head while trying to turn DP.

I don't see it as an "illegal slide". Runner came in hard. If the runner goes out of baseline to get at the defense is one thing. But going hard into a base that's just baseball. But that's just one person's opinion. And it may not be worth much.

JorgeFabregas
10-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Does the fact that the runner stumbled several feet past the bag have an relevance?

LuvSox
10-12-2005, 11:48 PM
I looked like he gave a little "extra" kick with his left leg after sliding, finishing off Iguchi. Illegal? I don't know.

pearso66
to me, he stood up after the play into iguchi as he was throwing. I was screaming that it was interference and the runner at first should have been out

Chips
Must be talking about the play where Guchi airmailed the ball over PK's head while trying to turn DP.

I don't see it as an "illegal slide". Runner came in hard. If the runner goes out of baseline to get at the defense is one thing. But going hard into a base that's just baseball. But that's just one person's opinion. And it may not be worth much.

I'm pretty sure that you are right, as a runner, you are supposed to slide in 2nd as hard as possible to break up the DP, the runner was just doing his job. In Japan they are more polite, Iguchi will get used to this soon, hopefully.

SoxFan64
10-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Does the fact that the runner stumbled several feet past the bag have an relevance?

Again I am no "expert" but from my days no it was not a problem.

mjmcend
10-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Is your Dad Jack McDowell? Because he mentioned that it was illegal or at least a close call in reference to the dropped third strike tonight. He was saying that if we turned that double play it was a 2-2 ball game, sometimes you get the questionable calls, sometimes they go against you. That's baseball.

mjmcend
10-12-2005, 11:51 PM
to me, he stood up after the play into iguchi as he was throwing. I was screaming that it was interference and the runner at first should have been out

yeah, McDowell mentioned that it was the standing or poping up after the slide that made it intererence or at least questionable.

slobes
10-12-2005, 11:59 PM
yeah, McDowell mentioned that it was the standing or poping up after the slide that made it intererence or at least questionable.

To me it seemed like he was popping up and sorta hit Iguchi's arm a little.

SoxFan64
10-13-2005, 12:03 AM
IMO the reason the ball flew on Guch was because he threw the ball flat footed. He threw the ball flat footed because he could not set his feet. He could not set his feet because the runner was on top of him. Was it illegal. I don't think so. If it was an illegal play it would be on par with the other umpire higlights going on right now.

Clean play. It was a hard play but clean.

bluestar
10-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I have watched the play several times (I had the game recorded). I definitely believe Cabrera interfered with Iguchi. If you watch it again, Cabrera goes into the slide, but this was not a case of a player making a hard slide to take out the second baseman. When Cabrera realizes he cannot take out Iguchi with a slide, he actually comes out of the slide, manages to get back to his feet, and crashes into Iguchi. Iguchi managed to release the ball before Cabrera hit him, but Cabrera was right on him at the time.

It was definitely a borderline call, and I'm not crying about it, but I thought it could have been called interference.

Hokiesox
10-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I think just about all of their slides could have a case made against them. It's obviously in their game plan. They're sliding late into the bag and popping up early. I would call one or two interference, as an ump, to see if they quit making it look dirty.

Still not as bad as takeout slides were 10-20 years ago when runners would all but tackle the guy.