PDA

View Full Version : Mike Scioscia

ElDuque26
10-12-2005, 11:38 PM
The way that he handled himself during the post-game interview was true class...he could have bashed the umps but he is leaving that to the media and will focus on his home team...most coaches and players, in all sports could learn from that impressive display.

Chips
10-12-2005, 11:39 PM
It wouldn't be too wise for to bash the umps considering there are still at least 3 games to play.

Soxfan35
10-12-2005, 11:40 PM
I agree, he's a great a manager and has some class. I don't know about some of those reporters though, didn't seem too bright.

huskie26
I was just getting online to post the same thing. I was expecting to see one pissed off dude and he more or less said "we didn't play well enough to win."

elrod
Good point. I don't like Scoscia very much, but he was pure class. Man, those umps are gonna get BOOOOOOED in Anaheim.

LuvSox
10-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I agree, he's a great a manager and has some class. I don't know about some of those reporters though, didn't seem too bright.

If it goes the Angels way, Ozzie says the same thing. Guarantee it. Big class.

And, welcome aboard!

mike squires
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
He also stated he would think instant replay should not be instituted on plays around the bases. I like Sciossia. He definately looked dejected and could have been emotional but handled it well...

Harry Chappas
10-12-2005, 11:47 PM
I've just become a huge Mike Sciossia fan. It seemed the media was completely fixated on the controversy to point that they were completely glossing over the job Buerhle did. Sciossia tried to re-direct the attention back to the players and not the umps.

faneidde
10-13-2005, 12:16 AM
100% class is all I can say. It's a shame the Sox are going to have to knock such a good manager and class individual out of the playoffs. Best of luck to you every year but this one Mike.

kaufsox
10-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I've just become a huge Mike Sciossia fan. It seemed the media was completely fixated on the controversy to point that they were completely glossing over the job Buerhle did. Sciossia tried to re-direct the attention back to the players and not the umps.

not only were the media ignoring the rest of the game, but Sciossia himself pointed out, repeatedly how well Buerhle pitched. I've liked Sciossia since he was a player and think he is a great manager and class act. It must kill the Dodgers to see him have such success in the OC.

Jjav829
10-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Like I said in the postgame thread, he was classy in handling the situation. However, I think it also has a lot to do with holding his team responsible. Scioscia wants to make sure that his team doesn't start feeling sorry for themselves or feeling that they got screwed. He's doing what a good manager should do. Rather than taking a stance of "We got screwed, woe is us," Scioscia is making sure his team is blaming themselves and not the umpires. I think it is probably safe to say that when the first pitch of game 3 is thrown at around 7:20 p.m. on Friday night, neither team's play will be effected by what happened tonight. I don't think either manager will allow their team to worry about this. I would assume Ozzie is probably criticizing the team for some of the bad play tonight just like Scioscia.

dickallen15
10-13-2005, 12:44 AM
He is a great manager. This series is 2 games old and already unbelievable. Each team could make a case as to why they should be up 2-0.

BarbG
10-13-2005, 01:00 AM
Maybe he handled himself with class AFTER the game.

He certainly argued on the field long enough.

I have absolutely no respect for that man - lost it forever after the Donnelly incident and the total lack of any class or respect he showed to Frank Robinson.

Frankfan4life
10-13-2005, 01:02 AM
It seemed the media was completely fixated on the controversy to point that they were completely glossing over the job Buerhle did.Excellent point. Even though the Sox made some very stupid baserunning blunders, at least they had more baserunners. Buehrle dominated the Angels. The Sox could not have won without his pitching performance. That is the most important story of this game.

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Good point. I don't like Scoscia very much, but he was pure class. Man, those umps are gonna get BOOOOOOED in Anaheim.

I'm betting AJ will hear it as well.

Man, this is shaping up to be an awesome series.

AZChiSoxFan
10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
The way that he handled himself during the post-game interview was true class...he could have bashed the umps but he is leaving that to the media and will focus on his home team...most coaches and players, in all sports could learn from that impressive display.

Totally agree, the guy is all class.

For what it's worth, I noted the contrast in how he handled this situation vs. how Dusty handled the Bartman deal two years ago.

ma-gaga
10-13-2005, 10:51 AM
yeah... I don't LIKE him, but he's a good manager.

He stands behind his guys and goes to the wall for them.

BigKlu59
10-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I think this stems from Sciossia being a catcher himself and knowing Paul only did 2/3rd of his job behind the plate after A.J. went fishing. He's also the one responsible for replacing Molina with Paul knowing full well Josh may get into a controversial play in the first place ie.. Wild pitch, Passed ball, Throwing one into Center field etc....not being up to game speed (magine that). He also knows Burlymon had them by the throat all night cept for the dinger. Mediots really aught to take a class in Baseball 101. The game truly isnt over until the fat lady sings....

BigKlu59

The_Floridian
10-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Scoscia did the right thing at the press conference. He also did the right thing on the field, arguing and sticking up for his players. Can you imagine how demoralizing it would have been for the Angels if he didn't go out and argue the call?

Great manager, great baseball man.

If someone would explain the Donnelly/Frank Robinson incident mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd appreciate it. I never heard about this. What happened?

SOXintheBURGH
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
I thought Scioscia was a goner after he spilled all that nuclear waste all over himself too. :redface:

batmanZoSo
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I thought Scioscia was a goner after he spilled all that nuclear waste all over himself too. :redface:

http://www.tomkoinc.com/simpsons/graphics/Mike_Scioscia_A.gif
Will..I..be..able..to..play..softball..tomorrow?

Oh, heavens no, by tomorrow you'll barely be able to breathe.

Ohhh..mannn...

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.tomkoinc.com/simpsons/graphics/Mike_Scioscia_A.gif
Will..I..be..able..to..play..softball..tomorrow?

Oh, heavens no, by tomorrow you'll barely be able to breathe.

Ohhh..mannn...

Can't... lift... arm... or... speak... at... normal... rate...

:D:

EastCoastSoxFan
10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I think this stems from Sciossia being a catcher himself and knowing Paul only did 2/3rd of his job behind the plate after A.J. went fishing. He's also the one responsible for replacing Molina with Paul knowing full well Josh may get into a controversial play in the first place ie.. Wild pitch, Passed ball, Throwing one into Center field etc....not being up to game speed (magine that). He also knows Burlymon had them by the throat all night cept for the dinger. Mediots really aught to take a class in Baseball 101. The game truly isnt over until the fat lady sings....BigKlu59
The only dubious thing about Mike Sciosia's post-game remarks was his assertion that a clenched right fist automatically constitutes an "out" call and therefore that the home plate umpire "altered" his call.
As a former catcher he should (and I'm sure does) know that on ball / strike / out calls at home plate there has to be a verbal element to any call so that the catcher, who is physically unable to see what the umpire is doing, knows what is going on. And so far no one has disputed the fact that there was no verbal "out" call by the home plate umpire on that play.
In any case, as other posters have mentioned, he did very well to minimize the focus on that play and re-focus on the upcoming games...

ChiSoxRowand
10-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Does anybody know what position Eddings will be at on Friday? If he makes a questionable call it will be crazy.

Jjav829
10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Does anybody know what position Eddings will be at on Friday? If he makes a questionable call it will be crazy.

Well the normal rotation would put Eddings in right field. That would leave him right by the fans and he'd get an earful all night. I wonder if they would stick Eddings at second for at least one night so that he isn't so close to the fans.

buehrle4cy05
10-13-2005, 07:35 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Scioscia after that whole argument with Frank Robinson. He's gotta do more than this to earn my respect back.