PDA

View Full Version : Who's worse? ESPN or Fox

Beauty35thStreet
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Although Bermann drove me nuts in game 3 that made him lose all his credibility that he had slowly gained back with games 1 and 2, Fox is just so blatant.

After this game, you would've thought that Joe Buck was on the field himself.

No respect!

I hope this only fires up Oz and his players more and more.

6th_starter
10-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Dont know whats worse - ESPNs announcers showing you the k-zone with the ball clearly outside and they say "just caught the corner" or Fox's crying about "the call". I would have loved to hear Farmer and Rooney. Anyone hear their call?

HotelWhiteSox
10-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm going to go with ESPN as worse, Berman was referring to the Red Sox as 'we'.

I would explode if this same situation happened to me, I thought FOX lingered on it too much and not enough focus on missed opportunities by the Angels and the job Crede did with a 0-2 count, but we got a break there, and in this big a game, I'd expect it to get analyzed like that

Chips
10-12-2005, 10:30 PM
ESPN, by far is worse. But who cares?

:winner

Beauty35thStreet
10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Farmer and Rooney were nonchalant, but I could tell they were loving it. "Now I've seen everything"-Farmer Rooney laughed "I never saw that"

Dont know whats worse - ESPNs announcers showing you the k-zone with the ball clearly outside and they say "just caught the corner" or Fox's crying about "the call". I would have loved to hear Farmer and Rooney. Anyone hear their call?

LuvSox
10-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Fox is worse. No, wait, ESPN is worse. Ah hell, they both blow.

johnny_mostil
10-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm going to go with ESPN as worse, Berman was referring to the Red Sox as 'we'.

I would explode if this same situation happened to me, I thought FOX lingered on it too much and not enough focus on missed opportunities by the Angels and the job Crede did with a 0-2 count, but we got a break there, and in this big a game, I'd expect it to get analyzed like that

Fortunately, the players don't give a flying nun about what ESPN or Fox have to say. The most egregious was Joe Buck saying Kelvim Escobar was "pitching effectively" one batter after giving up a screaming double and a hang-wiffem-into-a-barely-double-play.

mantis1212
10-12-2005, 10:39 PM
ESPN is far worse- no doubt

itsnotrequired
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I can't believe this is even a question. ESPN, hands down. Even Scooter isn't enough for Fox to get the honors.

illinibk
10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
before tonight, I would have said ESPN. But McCarver was unbearable tonight.

soxjim
10-12-2005, 10:44 PM
I have been watching it on TV and listening to Farmer and Rooney since game 2 of the ALDS.

soxstarter
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
In Post game #2 review...it has to be Fox. Someone really ought to count how many times they replayed that play by A.J. I am sure it would rival the amount of times the cubune has had anything good to say about the Sox.

"Fox in Sox and Sox in Fox" Dr. Suess was a little off on that call:cool:

iamkoza
10-12-2005, 10:53 PM
In Post game #2 review...it has to be Fox. Someone really ought to count how many times they replayed that play by A.J. I am sure it would rival the amount of times the cubune has had anything good to say about the Sox.

"Fox in Sox and Sox in Fox" Dr. Suess was a little off on that call:cool:

thanks to the angel players/managers standing out on the field for 15 minutes, fox had nothing to do but show it over and over and over again....

SoxFan64
10-12-2005, 10:56 PM
EastcoastSPN

JackParkman
10-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Scooter tips the scales in favor of Fox being worse. But I have no problem with them replaying the play over and over. It's a huge call in a hige game that will be talked about for a long time. That said, I don't know where McCarver and Buck get off saying Paul "clearly" caught it. In the world of the NFL, there would not be anything close to "indisputable visual evidence" to overturn that call.

mike squires
10-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Buck is too monotone for me. Even on a home run call, he doesn't show much emotion. I don't mind McCarver or Pinella. I thin they do their jobs well and add some insight and humor to the game.

Did anyone notice they showed the controversial play AGAIN, BEFORE the Crede double? Osuna hadn't scored yet and Buck used the controversial call as the "winning call".

WagMan
10-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Watchin Baseball Tonight on ESPN, the whole focus is on the play in the 9th. But, why aren't they replaying the call on Crede in the 7th on the double play? Fox only showed it once during the game and it's definitely a close play. All these experts are so quick to jump on the controversial call in the 9th... what about the call in the 7th???

iamkoza
10-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Watchin Baseball Tonight on ESPN, the whole focus is on the play in the 9th. But, why aren't they replaying the call on Crede in the 7th on the double play? Fox only showed it once during the game and it's definitely a close play. All these experts are so quick to jump on the controversial call in the 9th... what about the call in the 7th???

looked like his hand was a split second late to the bag.... but it would have been nice to see more than one replay.... and if mark didnt work so fast, they probably would have shown more of it :)

antitwins13
10-13-2005, 12:06 AM
The East Seaboard Programming Network is worse.

Here's how Hawk would have done game the winning call:

That ball hit deep by Crede, stretch, stay fair, get up, Anderson looks up and it's off the wall come on Pablo, YESSSSS! Joe Creeeeedeeee!
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/broadcaster_cws_harrelson.jpg

tebman
10-13-2005, 12:37 AM
ESPN is definitely worse, but mostly because they're clumsy and hammy. Fox is too-cool-for-school, with their endless graphic stunts and self-satisfied yakking every moment of the game. Jeez! Shut up already and watch the game.

AJ's dropped-third-strike play just gave the Fox babblers more material. Of course it annoys them that the White Sox have come this far -- Fox is nothing but a bunch of carnival barkers and instead of the dramatic freak show of the Yankees or the Red Sox (which is easier to hype), they get the White Sox in the second round. It's harder to sell false drama if your protagonists are people who have to work for a living, and that's what they got with the White Sox Army.

Fox is all about attitude. You'd think they'd appreciate a guy like Pierzynski. :cool:

ElevenUp
10-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Joe Buck went to my Alma Mater, Indiana University. My former roommate had classes with him and has described him as a world-class pompous jagbag.

MrRoboto83
10-13-2005, 03:41 AM
I really don't mind listening to Sweet Lou, I like how he states what he would do on certain manager calls.

Fox is much better than ESPN. Although, i think ESPN got better camera shots of the ballparks, they had to have many more cameras than Fox.
Espn had cameras in the upper deck.

SOXfnNlansing
10-13-2005, 05:16 AM
they both suck

SSN721
10-13-2005, 06:24 AM
Still think ESPN is worse then Fox. I actually have no problem with Buck, find him to be pretty decent myself.

soxruleEP
10-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Buck is pretty non-descript, a typical network guy.

McCarver is insufferable--I didn't enjoy his refusal to admit he was behind the plate when three consecutive homers were hit off the Cards in '67.

I like Lou--except he is sometimes stating the obvious--he does provide a unique perspective. A good example was in game two when he said that Scoisa will often switch to the hit and run when a player can't get the first bunt down.

It didn't work out that way but it was something that another manager would know or think about during a game.

whtsx1959
10-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Last night there was a sign that said "Thanks to FOX, Berman is back, back, back in Boston."

I think it's a draw.

CHEESESOXER
10-13-2005, 10:55 AM

For mcblabber, that's a compliment.
I can't stannnnnd him.
I wish Deeon would soak him again.

RKMeibalane
10-13-2005, 10:56 AM

Because he was out, and he did something stupid in the process.

RKMeibalane
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Joe Buck went to my Alma Mater, Indiana University. My former roommate had classes with him and has described him as a world-class pompous jagbag.

I didn't realize he went to IU. That's interesting.

CHEESESOXER
10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
What showing the play over & over does is show how into the game and alert AJ is.

He outsmarted them with good baseball sense.
Keep showing it. It's a compliment to AJ.

Chicken Dinner
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Scooter tips the scales in favor of Fox being worse. But I have no problem with them replaying the play over and over. It's a huge call in a hige game that will be talked about for a long time. That said, I don't know where McCarver and Buck get off saying Paul "clearly" caught it. In the world of the NFL, there would not be anything close to "indisputable visual evidence" to overturn that call.

I hate "scooter" but at the same time, how many times is everyone going to complain about the annoucers? It's starting to sound like Cub fans are on this board.

tdh11
10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I vote FOX just for the fact that Berman doesnt do every game. Joe and John are decent.

Fox tries to make baseball like a melodrama. And I always hate their token player/manager in the booth they all have sucked(Pinella, Boone, Lieter all of them)

batmanZoSo
10-13-2005, 11:48 AM

As bad as Berman was, I just can't stand the sound of Buck and McCarver emanating from my TV. I don't know what it is. But I'm gonna say I prefer ESPN's coverage (see: I prefer drinking turpentine to drinking 10w30).

Good point on the stupid "K Zone." I, personally, have never seen an umpire blow a ball or a strike since the inception of it. Just tell it like it is or get rid of it. We know you're making the umpires look good half the time.

ShoelessJoeS
10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I think they equally suck. Although FOX does seem like they try too hard in turning everything into a soap opera. The key is to turn your television on mute and put the radio on AM 1000 to listen to the timeless commentary of Ronney and Farmer. We might as well listen to this duo while we can, right? It's the least we can do as Sox fans. I don't know about anyone else, but Rooney's call of "That's a White Sox winner" is right up there with any "Hawkism," and I sure am going to miss that.

Hangar18
10-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Both are HORRIBLE. Both networks are still reeling from the lack of Yankees vs Red Sox, and you can tell theyre both CAUGHT-PANTS-DOWN and dont know how to cover this series. HAS anyone noticed there are still NO SOX PRE GAME COMMERCIALS hiliting this series?? Ive noticed now that FOX has simply pulled ALL of their baseball commercials ........why? They were all NY and Boston in them!!!!!!!

A_ROW33
10-13-2005, 02:31 PM

"a two ball one strike count is a lot different from a one strike two ball count" Tim McCarver

Law11
10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I think they equally suck. Although FOX does seem like they try too hard in turning everything into a soap opera. The key is to turn your television on mute and put the radio on AM 1000 to listen to the timeless commentary of Ronney and Farmer. We might as well listen to this duo while we can, right? It's the least we can do as Sox fans. I don't know about anyone else, but Rooney's call of "That's a White Sox winner" is right up there with any "Hawkism," and I sure am going to miss that.

The delay kills that idea for me. I have it on HD and theres already a 5 second delay from regular TV, like 7 seconds from the radio team.

chitownhawkfan
10-13-2005, 04:14 PM
As bad as Fox can be with Scooter, it isn't even close. ESPN with Berman was attrocious. Referring to the Red Cubs as "we" the Ohhhhhhhhhh Nooooooo! when it went through Tony Grafanino's legs. Gimme a break, ESPN Blows!

:chunks:

northshoresoxfan
10-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry I know Berrman is annoying, but Tim McCarver knows absolutely nothing about baseball. His color commentary is always wrong. I end up wanting to throw things at the TV when he speaks. He's the worst period.

Jurr
10-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Sorry I know Berrman is annoying, but Tim McCarver knows absolutely nothing about baseball. His color commentary is always wrong. I end up wanting to throw things at the TV when he speaks. He's the worst period.
Now, now. The guy played many years of baseball, and he knows his stuff. You sometimes have to remember that the guy is talking to the casual baseball fan, or maybe even the new fan. That's why he sometimes states the obvious.

I don't listen to Fox broadcasters, same as avoiding the ESPN announcers. I have a 20 second delay from the TV to the internet radio, but I go with it anyway. It's best that way for me.

Banix12
10-14-2005, 01:37 AM
I think ESPN is largely worse in their calling of the game. A lot of east coast homerism and very sloppy analysis on the part of ESPN, with the exception of the always interesting Steve Stone. I prefer the Fox game crews, even though I can't stand McCarver and I like the B-Crew of Thom Brennaman and Steve Lyons far better than the A-Crew on Fox.

However when it comes to visual presentation of the game, hands down Fox is far worse than ESPN. Fox gets way too gimmicky, dumb sound effects, scooter, etc. On ESPN the game feels like the main focus while on Fox it seems like the game is secondary to all the graphics on the screen.