PDA

View Full Version : Tribe trades Alomar

MarqSox
12-11-2001, 10:40 AM
BOSTON -- All-Star second baseman Roberto Alomar was traded from the Cleveland Indians to the New York Mets on Tuesday as part of an eight-player deal.

New York sent Cleveland outfielder Matt Lawton, outfield prospect Alex Escobar, pitcher Jerrod Riggan and two players to be named -- one is believed to be minor-league pitcher Billy Traber, the Mets' No. 1 pick in the 2000 draft -- for Alomar, pitcher Mike Bacsik and outfielder-first baseman Danny Peoples.

The first big deal of the winter meetings was completed by Mets general manager Steve Phillips and new Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro between midnight and 12:30 a.m.

"I think I'll need a flak jacket when I get off the plane, probably," Shapiro said, recognizing the deal will not be popular back in Cleveland. "Anytime you trade away a Hall of Fame-caliber talent, it's something you don't do lightly."

It was the second major move in four days for the Mets, who dealt third baseman Robin Ventura to the Yankees last Friday for outfielder David Justice. It means New York most likely will move Edgardo Alfonzo from second base to third next season.

After winning the NL pennant in 2000, the Mets failed to make the playoffs this year, finishing with the fewest runs and lowest batting average in the major leagues and the second-fewest homers in the NL.

"To get Alomar, we had to give up talent like this," Phillips said. "It was hard to give that up. In this situation, we thought it was something worth the price."

The 33-year-old Alomar, who played three seasons in Cleveland, is a 12-time All-Star who hit a team-high .336 this year with 20 homers, 100 RBI and 30 steals.

The deal created payroll flexibility for the Indians. Cleveland owner Larry Dolan told Shapiro to trim $15 million off last season's $91 million payroll.

Alomar, a 10-time Gold Glove who has also played for San Diego, Toronto and Baltimore, gets $8 million next season and his contract contains an $8 million team option for 2003. The Indians also had been exploring a deal for shortstop Omar Vizquel.

Lawton, 30, was acquired by the Mets from Minnesota for pitcher Rick Reed last July and hit .246 for New York with three homers, 13 RBI and 10 steals. He batted .297 for the Twins with 10 homers, 51 RBI and 19 steals.

"He gives us a multitude of ways to score runs," Shapiro said.

Escobar, 23, was among the most prized prospects in the Mets' farm system but struggled when he was called up to the majors this year, hitting .200 with three homers and eight RBI in 50 at-bats.

Riggan, a 27-year-old right-hander, was 3-3 with a 3.40 ERA in 35 relief appearances for New York.

Bacsik, 24, was the Indians' minor league pitcher of the year in 2001. He went 13-6 with a 3.03 ERA in minor league games and appeared in three games for Cleveland.

Peoples, 26, had 17 homers and 48 RBI for Triple-A Buffalo.

One other player in the deal was not immediately identified.

Alomar's departure leaves a hole at second base for the Indians. John McDonald or Jolbert Cabrera could be used there or the club may have another deal in mind.

Mathew
12-11-2001, 06:59 PM
:?:

If Alomar is worth 8million per, why is Boone worth more than 10?

Daver
12-11-2001, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Because the Mariners are stupid enough to offer it to him.

But then again what the hell do I know?

ExSoxFan
12-11-2001, 08:35 PM
Might the Indians wind up signing Chuckles Knoblauch, or is he too expensive for their "new direction"?

Looks like that "new direction" may be downward...

:wh1tesox00

Dadawg_77
12-11-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Leverage. Boone is a FA while Alomar isn't. Thats why Boone can get 10 mill with Alomar will only get 8 mill.

Honestly the Tribe looks to be trying to regroup with young guns. While Escobar struggled last year, I think he has what it takes to make it up in the league.

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ExSoxFan
Might the Indians wind up signing Chuckles Knoblauch, or is he too expensive for their "new direction"?

The tribe will learn some day real soon that the direction they are going never works. Jr has been cutting payroll for 20 years, and the best he has done is a divisional championship.

:reinsy
The kids can play!

kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ExSoxFan

I would love to preach the Tribe's demise but I'm not so sure about that. After years of casting off guys like Brian Giles and Richie Sexon the Indians finally decided to start bringing in young talent. They may end up a non-factor because of it next year but not for too long if they bring in talent and keep what they have.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I would love to preach the Tribe's demise but I'm not so sure about that. After years of casting off guys like Brian Giles and Richie Sexon the Indians finally decided to start bringing in young talent. They may end up a non-factor because of it next year but not for too long if they bring in talent and keep what they have.

As long as they add to that tallent when they are develpoing as a team. If all these rumors are true and the Sox get Giles and a starter, I'll have to layoff Jr and KW. I was worried they were just going to let the kids play. A few additions is just what the sox need. Who knows what the tribe will do with their team in a few year? They have a new GM and ownner from the 90's ara. I hope they always cut payroll.

Mathew
12-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Leverage. Boone is a FA while Alomar isn't. Thats why Boone can get 10 mill with Alomar will only get 8 mill.

Honestly the Tribe looks to be trying to regroup with young guns. While Escobar struggled last year, I think he has what it takes to make it up in the league.

I know why he'll get it, I just can't believe he can with a straight face. How do you determine market value really? I think I'd be even cheaper than Jerry Berry Muffin.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

As long as they add to that tallent when they are develpoing as a team. If all these rumors are true and the Sox get Giles and a starter, I'll have to layoff Jr and KW. Settle down, RPS. This isn't a Flubs board. Let's see what happens. :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Settle down, RPS. This isn't a Flubs board. Let's see what happens. :smile:

Yeah. I guess I can't get too excited. This is white Sox baseball we are talking about.

Paulwny
12-12-2001, 10:47 AM
If anyone's interested in a nice Alomar story.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-hirsch122507185dec12.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseball%2Dhe adlines

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

why??? Because the guys they got are YOUNG? Not one of those chumps they got in that deal has proven a thing.......including lawton.