PDA

View Full Version : Darin Erstad trade talk...

rdivaldi
12-11-2001, 11:36 AM
Bruce Levine reported this morning that KW was in long talks with the Angels last night regarding a possible trade for Darrin Erstad. Does anyone have any info regarding this story? Bruce is a pretty reliable guy, so I'm pretty excited about the prospects of getting Erstad in CF.

Thanks

czalgosz
12-11-2001, 11:53 AM
I don't know anything about that, but that would be pretty much a dream come true, which means of course it won't happen.

Erstad would be an ideal leadoff hitter, good speed, good discipline, occasional power that he doesn't let go to his head...

The Angels are maybe more cheap than the Sox are. What would bring Erstad to the Sox? Young players. I'm thinking maybe Kip and Lee and a minor leaguer.

rdivaldi
12-11-2001, 11:57 AM
Positive thinking cz, positive thinking :smile:

It would be a pretty tough one to pull off, I've heard that the Yankees are trying to get him as well. But we have a lot more trade bait than they do. It might just come down to how much KW is willing to give up.

I'm assuming that it will probably have to be 3 for 1.

bringbackrobin
12-11-2001, 12:02 PM
OBP SLG AVG
96 .333 .375 .284
97 .360 .466 .299
98 .353 .486 .296
99 .308 .374 .253
00 .409 .541 .355
01 .331 .360 .258

Darin Erstad would be great if he hits like he did in 2000. But if he hits like he did in 2001 or 1999, he would be a disaster. Even his 97 and 98 seasons were just borderline acceptable. I'd rather give Carlos Lee another chance.

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Bruce Levine reported this morning that KW was in long talks with the Angels last night regarding a possible trade for Darrin Erstad. Does anyone have any info regarding this story? Bruce is a pretty reliable guy, so I'm pretty excited about the prospects of getting Erstad in CF.

Thanks

I haven't heard anything about this, but you're right about Bruce, he's usually one of the more reliable reporters. Erstad would fill a few of the big holes we have...CF, leadoff hitter & a lefthanded bat. Did he say anything about who we'd be giving up? I'm sure Carlos Lee would be part of the deal.

Tragg
12-11-2001, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I don't know anything about that, but that would be pretty much a dream come true, which means of course it won't happen.

Erstad would be an ideal leadoff hitter, good speed, good discipline, occasional power that he doesn't let go to his head...

The Angels are maybe more cheap than the Sox are. What would bring Erstad to the Sox? Young players. I'm thinking maybe Kip and Lee and a minor leaguer.

I'd love to get Erstad, but that's overpaying - by a lot.
Of course, I think lee is a lot better than he played last year. The problem with trading him now, is that he is at the bottom of his trade value. I'm more inclined to deal konerko, at the top of his value, and move lee to first, which I think he could play well.

rdivaldi
12-11-2001, 12:08 PM
I think that if you look at Erstad as a whole, there's no way that you can pass on him. Good bat, good speed, great defense. It's a no brainer even if he did have a down year in 2001. The guy is still pretty young and would bring a ton to the team.

rdivaldi
12-11-2001, 12:10 PM
Bruce didn't say who might be the players included in the trade, but I would of course assume that Carlos was front and center in the discussions. He did make it sound however that KW was working this one pretty hard.

longshot7
12-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Erstad is a free agent after next season, keep in mind.

As well - yes, he was spectacular in 2000. But completely medioocre in 1999 and 2001. He does well during even years.

That being said, he has a great attitude, good clubhouse guy, and plays adequate defense.

All in all, I don't do the deal. Singleton has great defense and batted over .300 last year. Why get rid of Carlos when you don't have to?

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 12:19 PM
The talk today has the Yankmees butting in on the Erstad deal and have offered Orlando Hernandez and 2 young pitchers.

rdivaldi
12-11-2001, 12:28 PM
All in all, I don't do the deal. Singleton has great defense and batted over .300 last year. Why get rid of Carlos when you don't have to?

1)Please, don't hinge a trade on the abilities of Singleton. He's not even a consideration when you talk of getting a player with the abilities of Erstad. That batting over .300 also came with a pathetic OBP and OPS.

2)The reason we will eventually get rid of Carlos is that he will get caught in the numbers game. We have too many outfielders right now, and Carlos' defense will be his demise.

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The talk today has the Yankmees butting in on the Erstad deal and have offered Orlando Hernandez and 2 young pitchers.

Nice little lineup they're working on...
LF-Erstad
CF-Williams
RF-Alou
1B-Giambi
2B-Soriano
SS-Jeter
3B-Ventura
C-Posada

Thank God they don't have any pitching to go with it...DOH!

cheeses_h_rice
12-11-2001, 12:30 PM
Count me as one who would like to see Mr. Erstad playing in Chicago. This guy is a stud, mediocre 2001 or not.

Iguana775
12-11-2001, 12:35 PM
i would love to get him. i remember bring this up in the begining of the season last year and people just said that we could never get him. but if somehow we could, i would be happier that a pig in mud. :)

Iwritecode
12-11-2001, 12:56 PM
Bruce didn't say who might be the players included in the trade, but I would of course assume that Carlos was front and center in the discussions. He did make it sound however that KW was working this one pretty hard.

Do the Angels need a SS?

:hitless
What are you looking at me for?

Seriously, KW could fix a number of problems if he could get Erstad and get rid of Royce at the same time.

Foulke You
12-11-2001, 01:06 PM
Get rid of Royce AND get Erstad? If they could somehow package Julio Ramirez in this deal then it's time to write a Christmas card to KW.

How does Erstad's defense rate against Singleton? Does anyone have a stat comparison? I know Erstad is the better hitter but I can't remember if he has the same range and speed in center that Singleton has. I imagine that they are looking for Erstad to play center field for us which is why I asked. Count me in too though on being excited about this possible deal though. Erstad always killed us when we played the Angels.

rdivaldi
12-11-2001, 01:13 PM
Erstad is a bit better than Singleton in the field.

Chris had the edge in Range factor (Put outs + Assists) divided by innings

But Estad had the edge in Zone rating (The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.), and fielding percentage.

Erstad had only 1 error last year, that's pretty damned impressive.

Erstad has a huge edge in stolen bases as well.

Iwritecode
12-11-2001, 01:16 PM
Erstad is a bit better than Singleton in the field.

Chris had the edge in Range factor (Put outs + Assists) divided by innings

But Estad had the edge in Zone rating (The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.), and fielding percentage.

Erstad had only 1 error last year, that's pretty damned impressive.

Erstad has a huge edge in stolen bases as well.

Uh, yea. That's what I was going to post... :D:

So it sounds like Chris as a little bit better range but Erstad gets to more balls than Chris. I've seen Erstad make the hightlight reels many times. I like the stolen base factor too. Chris still hasn't learned to use his speed properly on the basepaths.

czalgosz
12-11-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

LF-Erstad
CF-Williams
RF-Alou
1B-Giambi
2B-Soriano
SS-Jeter
3B-Ventura
C-Posada

Ventura is done, stick a fork in him. The Yanks got robbed in that trade. Soriano is Slappy Caruso all over again, mark my words, he will crumble next season. Alou is a very good hitter, but he'll struggle in the AL, at least at first. Ten-run field definitely helped him. But you're right, this lineup even in a worst-case scenario would be better than last year's Yankee lineup. About the only hope we have is that Clemens finally starts showing his age.

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 01:48 PM
I think the Yankees trade for Ventura was a good one/robin can still throw the leather and they aren't going to need big numbers at the plate from him like the Mets and W. Sox did/They'll probably be happy w/ 70-75 ribbies from him/Plus he's not that old /I could see him putting together another
good year or two

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 01:59 PM
Plus, there's that right field homer porch factor, too.

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Ventura is done, stick a fork in him. The Yanks got robbed in that trade. Soriano is Slappy Caruso all over again, mark my words, he will crumble next season. Alou is a very good hitter, but he'll struggle in the AL, at least at first. Ten-run field definitely helped him. But you're right, this lineup even in a worst-case scenario would be better than last year's Yankee lineup. About the only hope we have is that Clemens finally starts showing his age.

I wouldn't go so far as to say stick a fork in Robin, but I'll agree that his 25 HR, 100 RBI years are probably gone. You have to remember the Yankees won't be hitting him in the heart of the order either. He'll be one of the more productive 7-8-9 hitters in the league!

Joel Perez
12-11-2001, 03:06 PM
Wasn't Darrin hit with minor injuries all year long in 99 and 01? I thought the guy was going through some nagging injuries, such as his wrist or hammy, but he played through it all.

Damn, how he would look good in a Sox uni!

danman31
12-11-2001, 04:44 PM
Caballo would likely be in an Erstad deal because there were minor rumors of a Ana-Sox deal involving Ramon Ortiz and Caballo. If that rumor was actually talked about by the GMs, it's likely that the Angels like what they see in Caballo and would like to get him. I think we would need to give more than Carlos to get Erstad though.

Joel Perez
12-11-2001, 04:47 PM
Hmmmmm.....

To Chicago:

P Ramon Ortiz
OF Darrin Erstad

To Anaheim:

OF Carlos Lee
P Danny Wright
P Kyle Kane

Thoughts?

danman31
12-11-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
Hmmmmm.....

To Chicago:

P Ramon Ortiz
OF Darrin Erstad

To Anaheim:

OF Carlos Lee
P Danny Wright
P Kyle Kane

Thoughts?
No way Anaheim does that. We would have to send a guy like Rauch or Honel in place of Wright and Kane.

OfficerKarkovice
12-11-2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by danman31

No way Anaheim does that. We would have to send a guy like Rauch or Honel in place of Wright and Kane.

I dont agree...Erstad is in the last year of his contract. I think that might be close to getting it done.

danman31
12-11-2001, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I dont agree...Erstad is in the last year of his contract. I think that might be close to getting it done.

That changes things, but I would think they would want more for Erstad either way. Whether they get it or not is a whole different thing.

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 05:16 PM
I don't like the idea of giving up wright, either,
imho this guy is going to be something else.

danman31
12-11-2001, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
I don't like the idea of giving up wright, either,
imho this guy is going to be something else.
LOL! Now I don't want to pull a BMR and call you ignorant, but I want to know what makes you think this.

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

I'd love to get Erstad, but that's overpaying - by a lot.
Of course, I think lee is a lot better than he played last year. The problem with trading him now, is that he is at the bottom of his trade value. I'm more inclined to deal konerko, at the top of his value, and move lee to first, which I think he could play well.

No way dude! Lee at first over Konerko? Unless we got something real good, It wouldn't be worth it. Konerko turns a 3-6-3 dp as good as anyone in baseball and has hit better every year in the majors. Konerko could be a 40hr guy and he's a much better hitter then Lee.

Joel Perez
12-11-2001, 05:27 PM
Darrin played 1B early in his career. How about this for a scenario?

To Chicago:

OF Darrin Erstad
P Ramon Ortiz

To Anaheim:

1B Paul Konerko
P Matt Ginter
and--"player to be named later"...

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

LF-Erstad
CF-Williams
RF-Alou
1B-Giambi
2B-Soriano
SS-Jeter
3B-Ventura
C-Posada

That is so disusting.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
Darrin played 1B early in his career. How about this for a scenario?

To Chicago:

OF Darrin Erstad
P Ramon Ortiz

To Anaheim:

1B Paul Konerko
P Matt Ginter
and--"player to be named later"...

How about Lee, Singleton, and Ginter for Estrad and a player to be named? Yoo good to be true? The best deal we could do is throw Clayton in there.

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by danman31

LOL! Now I don't want to pull a BMR and call you ignorant, but I want to know what makes you think this.

Simple observation/his outings were obviously unsuccessful in '01 but that is normal for a rookie called up in the middle of the season/ he had success at all levels(minors) and has good stuff/6'5"/95 mph heater/slider/curve change the only thing he lacks is command and that will come with time-

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 07:33 PM
From ESPN:
TEAMS
Yankees
Giants

Dec. 11: Moises Alou's name is out there as are Cliff Floyd and Rondell White, but the name that has now surfaced as the Yankees look to fill their vacancy in left field and also the leadoff spot in their batting order is Erstad. The New York Times reports the Yankees are considering trading Orlando Hernández and minor-league pitchers Alex Graman and Brandon Claussen to the Angels for Erstad, who after leading the majors with 240 hits while batting .355 in 2000 slumped to a .258 average in 2001. The Yankees, however, are reportedly reluctant to deal the left-handed Claussen, who is is considered to be the best pitching prospect in their organization. The Giants are also desperate to get a center fielder and may pursue Erstad if they fail to re-sign Barry Bonds