PDA

View Full Version : Stand pat or make changes?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2001, 09:39 AM
Add your comments below.

dougs78
12-11-2001, 09:54 AM
There are definitely changes that need to be made with this team. We have far too much depth at some positions and question marks at others. I honestly feel the moves may not be needed to win the division, but they are needed to make this team the best they can possibly be.

Obviously these changes will not come in the form of FA's, but I still maintain that a few well orchestrated trades could go along way towards getting this team farther than the 2000 version. At the same time, from what I've read so far, there don't seem to be many deals out there that are really going to fit our needs. Hopefully some come about that will allow us to move an OF and a SS for some pitching or young talent up the middle. (I won't get into which players we should trade since this has been discussed ad infinitum). however, I'd still rather us stand pat than to make moves just for the sake of moves.

Kilroy
12-11-2001, 10:19 AM
I think that there are some needs that should be addressed.

1. Solid veteran starter to anchor the staff.
2. Catcher that can hit.
3. Who's gonna play 3rd? I prefer the Royce gone/Crede 3b idea.
4. CF that adds some O to go with solid D.

Other than those things, I don't think there's much else to go after.

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 10:26 AM
I'd just like to have this team pick a direction & go with it. If we are serious about winning now, why are we not making any serious plays for FAs or trades? If we are going with youth, why is Joe Crede gonna be watching Jose Valentin play 3rd? The whole organization revolves around Frank Thomas. If we are going into 2002 with a pitching staff full of youngsters, then we are admitting that we are still a few years away. What is the point in having Big Frank around waiting for this team to "be ready"? By the time Garland/Wells/Rauch/Borchard/etc. are truly ready to be big time players at the major league level, Frank Thomas' window will have long since closed. I have always been against the trading of Frank, but I think that maybe now...."it's time".

czalgosz
12-11-2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I think that there are some needs that should be addressed.

1. Solid veteran starter to anchor the staff.
2. Catcher that can hit.
3. Who's gonna play 3rd? I prefer the Royce gone/Crede 3b idea.
4. CF that adds some O to go with solid D.

Other than those things, I don't think there's much else to go after.

I'll comment on each one here - I'm not singling anyone out, but these four comments pretty much sum up what we've all been complaining about here.

1. Veteran pitchers are either (a) incredibly expensive or (b) a risky investment at best. Sure, you can get a quality year out of the next Cal Eldred, but you can also get saddled with the next Jaime Navarro. Of course, the answer is right under our nose, but apparently the Sox are going to refuse to compete with other teams for David Wells, and of course he'll win comeback player of the year award next year... *sigh*...

2. There aren't any quality defensive catchers that can hit out there, now that Irod is probably going to be converted into a 1B pretty soon. Catching is a weak position all over the majors right now, just like 3B was in the '80s. It looks like we're stuck with Mark Johnson / Alomar / Paul until Miguel Olivo is ready, if he's ever ready.

3. Clayton will not be traded. There's noone out there who wants him. Valentin could possibly be traded, but that would be a tremendously unpopular move, so it will be Clayton at short, Valentin at third, and Crede either once again at AAA or rotting on the bench. It sucks, but I never liked the deal that brought Clayton to the Sox in the first place.

4. Johnny Damon is available, but the Sox won't get him. Other than that, CF's who can hit and play defense are prized commodities, and it will take a lot more than Carlos Lee to pry one of those away from their team. And anyway, Joe Borchard is waiting in the wings.

The Sox do need a leadoff hitter - Durham does not have the discipline, and Valentin was not very good in the position when they tried him there. If I was to pick a major shortcoming this team has, I'd say it's speed and baserunning. This team is slow, and does not run well. If the Sox were to pick up one player, I'd say it would be a leadoff hitter, but whom? I don't know.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2001, 12:56 PM
Hey, how come nobody has voted for giving Reinsdorf a pass? Didn't he tell the season ticketholders "we've learned from our mistakes in 2001?"

"Hey guys, I'm not feeling the love."
:reinsy

(For the record, I have NOT voted in this poll).

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 01:54 PM
The key to building a winner is building around the middle, the Sox have done just the opposite, building around frank,maggs, clee, konerko, and durham/granted durham is in the middle, but the rest are corner players/if the sox are going to make major changes I think they should be geared towards acquiring player up the middle to build around

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 02:07 PM
Yep, stand pat-with a team that is not as deep or effective as the one that was swept out of the playoffs in 2000. This time of year just makes me mad-watching others improve and get the best players available.

my5thbench
12-11-2001, 03:48 PM
despite my minmal ability at this........I must suggest that the
royster leaves, he's a cancer, we fans cn't stand him, the coaches
think he's a lazy jerk & I'm not so sure that the team doesn't
dislike him as well....that put's Jose back at short & hopefully
Crede will be ready

we need a stud starter...Boomer Wells wants to return, sign
him, he's a tuff sob who wants the ball give it to him & let him
lead the young staff for a couple of years.

our Sox got better with the Mets Injuns trade, the division is
there for the taking

let's grab it

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 04:20 PM
:KW

No Changes

:jauron

I agree with that

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by my5thbench
royster leaves, he's a cancer

Problem is nobody wants Royce.

Daver
12-11-2001, 04:34 PM
Where is the option"you're kidding right"

:)

Mathew
12-12-2001, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by my5thbench
royster leaves, he's a cancer, we fans cn't stand him, the coaches
think he's a lazy jerk & I'm not so sure that the team doesn't
dislike him as well....that put's Jose back at short & hopefully
Crede will be ready

we need a stud starter...Boomer Wells wants to return, sign
him, he's a tuff sob who wants the ball give it to him & let him
lead the young staff for a couple of years.

our Sox got better with the Mets Injuns trade, the division is
there for the taking

let's grab it

I hate Royce too, but I don't think boomer could lead anything for a few years other than weight.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Mathew

I hate Royce too, but I don't think boomer could lead anything for a few years other than weight.

Whats with the weight cracks? Disgruntled Toronto fan? He's listed 6'4" 235. Hey that fat ass Thomas is listed 6'5" 275 guess Wells couldn't beat him in a pie eating contest. Canseco- 6'4" 240, perry was 6"2 235 if Wells is fat, perry belongs on Opera.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Whats with the weight cracks? Disgruntled Toronto fan? He's listed 6'4" 235. Hey that fat ass Thomas is listed 6'5" 275 guess Wells couldn't beat him in a pie eating contest. Canseco- 6'4" 240, perry was 6"2 235 if Wells is fat, perry belongs on Opera. Wells was 275 minimum last year. I don't care what he was listed at. I know this weight range well. :smile:

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Wells was 275 minimum last year. I don't care what he was listed at. I know this weight range well. :smile:

We can speculate his weight all we want but since nobody ran out to the mound with a scale while he was pitching, we must go with the listed weight.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:24 AM

We can speculate his weight all we want but since nobody ran out to the mound with a scale while he was pitching, we must go with the listed weight. You must. I am his size. I know what the hell I weigh when I'm hanging gut like him. About 275. Unfortunately, I'm a bit bigger. :smile:

Mathew
12-12-2001, 01:31 AM
Toronto is the reason I'm a Sox fan, but did you see the S.I. article a few years ago. Even Wells would not deny being fat and I have never heard anyone say honestly that he is 235. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 175. I have a body fat of 11%.

Mathew
12-12-2001, 02:17 AM

We can speculate his weight all we want but since nobody ran out to the mound with a scale while he was pitching, we must go with the listed weight.

If I listed my I.Q. at 212 would you take my word for it?

harwar
12-12-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
If we are going with youth, why is Joe Crede gonna be watching Jose Valentin play 3rd? The whole organization revolves around Frank Thomas.

What is the point in having Big Frank around waiting for this team to "be ready"? By the time Garland/Wells/Rauch/Borchard/etc. are truly ready to be big time players at the major league level, Frank Thomas' window will have long since closed. I have always been against the trading of Frank, but I think that maybe now...."it's time".

I think Valentin may end up being our DH.I fear the Frank Thomas window closed last year and not only will no one want him,he will be a big prob for the Sox to deal with.I just don't think hes' coming back anytime soon to the form we once knew.I think he'll struggle all year and cause GREAT HARM to the team.I'm usually wrong,i hope i am this time.GO SOX !!!