PDA

View Full Version : BP on Herb Schneider / White Sox injuries, ESPN names Bossard Top 10 cheater

SouthSide_HitMen
10-12-2005, 03:11 PM
BP has a daily injury report - one of the few things worthwhile. I found it interesting Herb Schneider, who IMO is one of the best trainers in the game - is "not certified" in the eyes of MLB. Does anyone know details about what someone would have to do to be a certified trainer?

Schneider and Bossard (and others) are the hidden gems in the organization (nice to see the White Sox faithful give a big roar for Roger - How many fans around baseball even know their groundkeeper's name?) though Roger isn't so "hidden" as he was named one of the ten biggest cheaters in baseball by the always pathetic ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/cheaters/ballplayers.html

Anyway I agree with BP's injury take and how outside of Frank and Scott's groin we are in pretty good shape (though they failed to mention Dustin's back nor the fact Ozzie did a pretty good job resting guys throughout the season which played a role in our current status). You can only expect so much from BP.

__________________________________________________ _________
BP Injury Take on the

Chicago White Sox

I looked through the Chicago Tribune to see if Ozzie Guillen (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/guilloz01.shtml) had won the Powerball, had a nice run at Sportsman's Park, or had been in Vegas during his off days. Since I see no evidence that Guillen is running on pure luck or a deal with the devil, I'll assume that he knows what he's doing. One thing that's making Ozzie look smart is having all his players out on the field in a healthy, productive state.

The only concern that the Sox have is Scott Podsednik (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/podsesc01.shtml), still dealing with a groin that will not fully heal while he's playing. The rest will help, only to the extent that 70% is less comfortable than 75%. He won't be the pesky running threat that he is when his instincts and intact groin allow him to make the quick first step he needs to steal. He appears to be fine in the field, though he wasn't tested significantly. Aaron Rowand (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/rowanaa01.shtml)'s free range fielding protects both Podsednik and the slowed Jermaine Dye (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/dyeje01.shtml) from the need to move much. There have been some interesting internal discussions about the wind patterns at US Cellular here at BP, something the White Sox staff pointedly refused comment on.

The pitching staff has no significant concerns, though they do seem limited in some ways. Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper appear fixated on the 120 pitch mark, not letting their starters go much beyond that at any point in the season. The patterns shown by all four of their starters over the last month indicate that the pitchers are tiring earlier, beginning to be hit harder around the 80 mark, making efficiency even more important for their success and to keep the bullpen from becoming overexposed. Earl Weaver used to say that when a pitcher was tired, the hitters would tell you. That holds true here. Herm Schneider and his staff have kept this team relatively healthy all season long and, outside of the Frank Thomas (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/thomafr04.shtml) situation, there have been no significant injuries. As with the Angels in 2002 and the Marlins in 2003, the lack of significant injuries is a major part of why things have gone right for the White Sox. Schneider is the dean of baseball athletic trainers, the only non-certified trainer left. (He's allowed to continue under a grandfather clause. This fact should not in any way connote that Schneider is not qualified.) It's his work that has been a major factor in making success possible for this team.

doublem23
10-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Roger Bossard is #7 and not one vote for Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, or Rafeal Palmiero?

:rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

soxfanreggie
10-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Not seeing Corky Sosa on there especially when they have other corkers on the list is dumb.

SweetnesSox
10-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Roger Bossard is #7 and not one vote for Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, or Rafeal Palmiero?

Ridiculous. Sammy is the cheating king. Steroids, corked bat, and he still strikes out 100 times a season.
He should win the "worst player, most talked about" award.

JUribe1989
10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
George Brett? **** you ESPN Page 2.

getonbckthr
10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
i love how roger preaches his craft.

Chisox003
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Stealing signs is cheating now?

I always considered it a great part of the game ..... :?:

Iwritecode
10-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Stealing signs is cheating now?

I always considered it a great part of the game ..... :?:

Sitting in the dugout and picking up on them from the thirdbase coach or manager is one thing.

Sitting behind the centerfield fence and using binoculars to pick up the catchers signs is completely different.

I also don't understand how setting up home-field advantage is cheating. If that were the case then the carpet in the Twinkiedome should be on the list too...

HotelWhiteSox
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Home field advantage is clarified as cheating? Where are the Twins fan operators?

Numerous mentions of cork but no Sosa. Where are Palmeiro, Giambi, Sheffield, Bonds (whether or not they knew they were taking steroids, they all admitted it or were caught)

A horrible list

buehrle4cy05
10-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Rick Honeycutt (pitcher, Mariners, Rangers, Dodgers, A's, Yankees, Cardinals, 1977-97)
When pitching for the Mariners against the Royals on Sept. 30, 1980, Honeycutt taped a thumbtack to his finger to cut the ball. Willie Wilson, after hitting a double, spotted the tack from second base. When the umps came out to have a look, they not only found the tack, but also a gash in Honeycutt's forehead -- he had rubbed his face absentmindedly, almost poking his eye out in the process.

I never heard that one before...it's funny now because he actually didn't poke his eye out.:redneck

mdep524
10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
As with the Angels in 2002 and the Marlins in 2003, the lack of significant injuries is a major part of why things have gone right for the White Sox. :rolleyes:

When will anyone outside of the White Sox Army consider losing Hall of Famer Frank Thomas a significant injury?

TheOtherGreat23
10-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Guys (and gals), the juicers couldn't have been on the list, since it was written in 2002. The news about the '51 Giants came to light in 2001, or "a year ago" as written in the article. Plus, Page 2's format has changed in the last couple of years, but the old articles still look the same.

mjmcend
10-12-2005, 11:01 PM

When will anyone outside of the White Sox Army consider losing Hall of Famer Frank Thomas a significant injury?

I hate BP too, but read the bold sentace right before the one you quoted.

fuzzy_patters
10-12-2005, 11:40 PM
How can ESPN leave Mike Scott off the list when they included all those other spit-ballers. Sure, Scott never got caught, but neither did some of those other guys. Scott was widely rumored to be cheating, and he miraculously became ineffective around the same time that umpires became suspicious.