PDA

View Full Version : Tim McCarver's announcing

buehrle4cy05
10-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Has anyone noticed that McCarver seems to get worse and worse as time goes on? When Dye pops the bunt out yesterday, he says, "there's no reason as to why Jermaine Dye should have done that." Maybe try getting on base? And then McCarver sometimes says stuff that is so blatantly obvious, it doesn't even need to be said. I half expect him to say, "Well, Joe and Lou, if the White Sox score more runs, they will win."

I let down my guard for one game. I didn't listen to Berman and those ESPN announcers during the ALDS. And I won't listen to the Fox announcers again.

Fenway
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
All of baseball loves Tim :angry:

http://callofthegreenmonster.typepad.com/call_of_the_green_monster/2004/11/tim_mccarver_st.html

Weeks after the Boston Red Sox secured their first World Series victory in 86 years, Fox color commentator Tim McCarver remains in the broadcast booth in St. Louis still sharing witty anecdotes, offering pointers and tips, and providing detailed perspectives on the long-since completed series. McCarver's ongoing broadcast is not available anywhere for viewing.

“I can say with certainty that Tim is aware that the game and the series are actually over,” said one Fox official. “However, he adamantly feels that there are still angles and nuances that the average fan cannot see and he believes he needs to point out and cover these issues completely before ending the broadcast. He seems rather delighted that he can do this with no interruptions from Joe Buck.”

here is an actually trancript from a game this year

Joe Buck: Now, obviously, you're talking about one of the best (Jeter) leaders in the game today, somebody who is just a winner, and somebody who - when he came up in his rookie year in '96 - just had that look about him like he'd been here before. Jeter has been one of the most consistent players in the game over the past nine years.

Tim McCarver: At the risk of going ga-ga too much, I mean, this guy is thoroughly hip. He is about as hip, to use that young expression, as there is any player in the game. He's tough, he's rugged, he is a winner, he's a guy who makes the big plays, and he has four World Series titles to his credit.

JB: Clearly the two of us are thoroughly in love with Derek Jeter.

TM: Ah, c'mon! I knew, see, when I say 'at the risk of going ga-ga' I knew that you would point out that I was going ga-ga.

JB: Well I was over there too, I was in Ga-Ga Land, too. (With a broadcaster tone dripping with sarcasm.) He's a winner, he's a born leader, this is a live Yankeeography...

TM: (Laughs uncomfortably)

JB: ...24 home runs, this handsome, debonair, swashbuckling...

TM: Quit it!

JB: ...last guy to wear number 2 for the Yankees hit back in 1999. HE is Derek Jeter and HE is out. One away here in the third inning.

TM: Cut it out. (More forced laughter.)

JB: Somehow Glendon Rusch got him to ground out. And here's Womack. Ga-ga land is shut down for Tony Womack. The rides are closed.

So Joe Buck makes some atonement for bearing the demon phrase "slamma-lamma-ding-dong" into the world. And I have no idea what Tim McCarver thinks "hip" means.

tstrike2000
10-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Has anyone noticed that McCarver seems to get worse and worse as time goes on? When Dye pops the bunt out yesterday, he says, "there's no reason as to why Jermaine Dye should have done that." Maybe try getting on base? And then McCarver sometimes says stuff that is so blatantly obvious, it doesn't even need to be said. I half expect him to say, "Well, Joe and Lou, if the White Sox score more runs, they will win."

McCarver's always been that way. There's been times where he can be tolerable, but he has gotten worse over the years with his opinions especially. He called out Deon Sanders one year over him playing two sports on the air and Deon dumped booze over his head during a victory celebration. I like Lou Pinella, but he's not a broadcaster. Joe Buck at least does a decent job with the play by play. They're an improvement over the ESPN crew, but that's not saying much.

TheMoonIsDead
10-12-2005, 02:26 PM
I totally agree, but in my opinion Tim McCarver, as bad as he his, can sometimes seem like the epitome of good broadcasting sitting next to Joe Buck. I think he missed the day they taught broadcasting at broadcasting school. He might as well just open his mouth and insert foot. As great an announcer his father was for the Cardinals, I must admit that it doesn't run in the family. Not only do we have to deal with him on saturdays for baseball, but also on sundays for football. I can proabbly think of thousands of dumb things he said, not to mention his clear bias towards certain teams, but 2 things that clearly stick out in my mind, is last years NFC championship game in Philadelphia, he must've said "Yo Adrian" before every commercial break while the score was being displayed. Very Clever. Also during game 4 of last years ALCS, he did the Web-MD report for Boston Red Sox fans having broken hearts. Wow, he sort of missed the boat on that one.

Despite this, I must say the all-time worst announcer in baseball in Michael Kay who does Yankee games on the YES network. Who is claerly always pulling for the yankees, and on occassion has gotten into arguments with fellow announcer Paul O'neil on outfielding and hitting with two strikes.

Someone please save us from these abominations...

(Also, please excuse my piss poor grammar, I am in a terrible rush)

mike squires
10-12-2005, 02:49 PM
I know I"m in the minority here, but I realy don't mind McCarvers announcing. Buck is the one I don't care for. He shows very little emotion for either side. Good for not playing favorites but have some emotion in your voice.

hawkjt
10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
I do not mind Tim either. And I was thinking the exact same thing when JD bunted. I know it was a team thing to try but he really is not a great bunter and he is hitting 3rd. If it works I guess it is great but he just has struggled to bunt all year and the odds are against him.

PatK
10-12-2005, 03:38 PM
I thought they were all bad. Buck does not go well with McCarver.

I'd almost rather have Thom and Psycho Steve.

HotelWhiteSox
10-12-2005, 03:57 PM
He hit the nail on the head in the Dye example you brought up

harwar
10-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Years ago when McCarver was teamed up with Jim Palmer and Al Michaels on ABC they did a great job.They were all a lot younger then though.
Also,Joe Buck was saying that during last years ALCS some red sox fans chased he and Tim McCarver back into their hotel claiming that they weren't giving the red sox enough air time.Pretty funny stuff.

SoxFan64
10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Joe Buck at least does a decent job with the play by play. They're an improvement over the ESPN crew, but that's not saying much.

Maybe Joe Buck could team with Leon of Bud fame. :redneck

IowaSox1971
10-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I didn't have a problem at all with the way Buck, McCarver and Piniella called Game 1. Then again, after listening to Berman in the previous game, anything would have sounded better.

Viva Medias B's
10-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I will never forget when Tim McCarver was doing the 1993 World Series. I think it was Game 3, and McCarver is talking about John Olerud playing first base. McCarver says "If John Olerud throws with his left hand, he catches with his right hand."

I don't mind Joe Buck at all. He certainly has the same with that Jack Buck did.