PDA

View Full Version : SUPERLATIVE THREAD STARTERS ARE BACK! Must Game Tonight

Gearbox
10-12-2005, 01:40 PM
If the White Sox lose tonight our heroes are up **** Creek without a paddle.:(:

anewman35
10-12-2005, 01:41 PM

A win would be huge, but you know full well that there's always a chance. You DID see last year's ALCS, right?

ClaudelSleptHere
10-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I am one of those who believe that the only must win game is the one that avoids elimination

ja1022

Actually, the ALCS is best of seven.

Fenway

after last year anything can happen in the ALCS

ask New York

Randar68
10-12-2005, 01:45 PM
after last year anything can happen in the ALCS

ask New York

That doesn't mean that a loss tonight wouldn't be crippling... Face 2 mediocre pitchers and come out of it with 2 losses heading back to Anaheim to face Lackey and Santana???

Anything can happen, but that would not be a very encouraging scenario. Would have to go on the road and win 2/3 just to get it back home for game 6...

JB98
10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
That doesn't mean that a loss tonight wouldn't be crippling... Face 2 mediocre pitchers and come out of it with 2 losses heading back to Anaheim to face Lackey and Santana???

Anything can happen, but that would not be a very encouraging scenario. Would have to go on the road and win 2/3 just to get it back home for game 6...

I agree. If we lose tonight, we'll be in a situation where we'd have to win four of the next five. That's hard to do against a quality team like the Angels. Yeah, the Red Sox rallied from 3-0 down last year and anything is possible, blah, blah, blah. The reality is we are at a serious disadvantage if we don't win tonight.

I do think the Sox will respond and come away with the 'W.' I'm digging in for a seven-game series. Contrary to popular belief, this series is going to be extremely tough to win. I sensed a feeling of overconfidence among the fans going into yesterday's game. We got put in our places quickly, and I hope everyone realizes now that this is going to be a dogfight until the end.

Iwritecode
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
What is the Sox record in "must-win" games this year anyway? They must have played at least 50 of them in August and September...

:rolleyes:

Madvora
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, if we're ever going to get this West coast monkey off our back (no pun intended, seriously) it has to start now.

Fenway
10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I got the sense last night that the White Sox had a feeling all they had to do was show up and they would win Game 1.

They wound up being the team asleep on the field, that 3rd run NEVER should have scored. I fully expect them to come up big tonight.

Sad
10-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, if we're ever going to get this West coast monkey off our back (no pun intended, seriously) it has to start now.

yep... we already lost home field but we can get it back...
or, just win the next four games & it won't matter :D:

Corlose 15
10-12-2005, 02:10 PM
A win would be huge, but you know full well that there's always a chance. You DID see last year's ALCS, right?

I hate this kind of logic. That was the first time that had happened in the history of professional sports. Just because the Red Sox did it last year doesn't make it any more likely that it'll happen this year. Tonights game is huge.

goodsy72
10-12-2005, 02:12 PM

Someone forgot his medication

:prozac It's a seven game series. Please step away from the ledge.

spiffie
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
There is no such thing as a must-win game unless you are down to lose and you're out. Sure, I would rather they win tonight, but hey, if you end up down 2-0, you still have the better team, only sometimes the breaks don't go your way. Then you have to go out and win 4 out of 5, something this team has done more than a couple of times this year. Even if we end up down 3-0, it's not like this team doesn't have a few 4 game sweeps on its resume this season.

The Racehorse
10-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Too me, every game is a "must win" game; spring-training, regular-season, playoff-games... they're all "must win" games as far as I'm concerned.

I realize it's just a game... however, I still want to win them all.

enurb
10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
We won the first two games in 93 on the road at Toronto and ended up losing the series. I agree with the poster that said "step away from the ledge".

Johnny Mostil
10-12-2005, 02:26 PM
I hate this kind of logic. That was the first time that had happened in the history of professional sports. Just because the Red Sox did it last year doesn't make it any more likely that it'll happen this year. Tonights game is huge.

True enough, but there was also the '93 ALCS. Sox lose first two at home, then win next two on road. Unfortunately, they also lost Games 5 (road) and 6 (home) :whiner: .

Johnny Mostil
10-12-2005, 02:27 PM
We won the first two games in 93 on the road at Toronto and ended up losing the series. I agree with the poster that said "step away from the ledge".

Beat me to it, I see . . .

Flight #24
10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
yep... we already lost home field but we can get it back...
or, just win the next four games & it won't matter :D:

I think back to 1991, when a local franchise finally broke through behind a 2d year coach. That year, they beat a much more storied franchise as well as a team that had ousted them a few years running, and ended up facing arguably the most popular team in the sport, led by an all-time great, hall of famer.

They then lost a close first game of the championship series at home, but went on to win the next 4 and take the title.

(And 5 of the next 7.)

Git 'er done White Sox.

hawkjt
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
This west coast jinx thing is really not relevant to this series as the sox split 2-2 out in LA this year. We could have won all those games. It is not Oakland.

I will take a split in the next four games just to get it back to soxpark with Burls and Garland on the mound in game 6 and 7.

Sad
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
I think back to 1991, when a local franchise finally broke through behind a 2d year coach. That year, they beat a much more storied franchise as well as a team that had ousted them a few years running, and ended up facing arguably the most popular team in the sport, led by an all-time great, hall of famer.

They then lost a close first game of the championship series at home, but went on to win the next 4 and take the title.

(And 5 of the next 7.)

Git 'er done White Sox.

was that the Wolve's? :redneck

anewman35
10-12-2005, 03:13 PM

I know that. I never said tonight's game wasn't huge. I said that if they lose tonight, it's not over. There's a difference.

tdh11
10-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm a natural pessamist. I didn't talk to my best friend who is a Red Sox fan all last week cuz I didn't want to get into it.

But, I am very optimistic about our chances. Sick Washburn and Overated Jon "Gomer Pile" Lakey next. We will win tonight

GO SOX!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 03:32 PM
What is the Sox record in "must-win" games this year anyway? They must have played at least 50 of them in August and September...

I'm pretty sure the Sox played over 50 "MUST WIN" games the last 2 weeks of September alone. That's what I kept reading at WSI.

:o:

HotelWhiteSox
10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Must win games = elimination games.

rm0824
10-12-2005, 03:37 PM
The only reason I feel that it's a must win is that it's better to be 1-1 than down 2-0. Especially with the troubles we've had in the West Coast over the years. If ever theres a time for Mark to step up, it's tonight.

Ol' No. 2
10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
The only reason I feel that it's a must win is that it's better to be 1-1 than down 2-0.You may have a future as an ESPN analyst.:wink:

Chisox003
10-12-2005, 04:28 PM
The only reason I feel that it's a must win is that it's better to be 1-1 than down 2-0.
BRILLIANT!

ja1022
10-12-2005, 04:34 PM
You may have a future as an ESPN analyst.:wink:

Or perhaps even a little play by play or color work. I believe it was McCarver who shared this pearl of wisdom with his audience, "... baserunners are reluctant to make an out..." Nice work Tim.

FielderJones
10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
You may have a future as an ESPN analyst.:wink:

Or a Fox analyst. I think Tim McCarver is looking for a youthful protege. :tongue:

Cat Thief
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM

:thumbsup:

Palehose13
10-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I am one of those who believe that the only must win game is the one that avoids elimination

Bingo!