PDA

View Full Version : CNN Headline News

Cellview22
10-12-2005, 01:56 PM
On CNN Headline News, their sports (at 10 and 40 past the hour) started off with highlights of Game 1 of the ALCS and quickly went into "Now even if the White Sox were to win the World Series, they'd still be number 2 in their own city. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jerry Reinsdorf tested this theory himself and it is true. He decided to go undercover as a security officer and no one noticed him in his own city".

Wow, I'm completely blown away. Why do we have to get disrespected in every single media outlet in this country?! I just checked the Tribune's site and didn't see anything on this, expect the headlines "CUB'S PLAYER SAVES 2 WOMEN'S LIVES".

I couldn't come up with this as a joke even if I tried!

Iwritecode
10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
On CNN Headline News, their sports (at 10 and 40 past the hour) started off with highlights of Game 1 of the ALCS and quickly went into "Now even if the White Sox were to win the World Series, they'd still be number 2 in their own city. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jerry Reinsdorf tested this theory himself and it is true. He decided to go undercover as a security officer and no one noticed him in his own city".

Wow, I'm completely blown away. Why do we have to get disrespected in every single media outlet in this country?! I just checked the Tribune's site and didn't see anything on this, expect the headlines "CUB'S PLAYER SAVES 2 WOMEN'S LIVES".

I couldn't come up with this as a joke even if I tried!

You didn't look hard enough. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051011soxbrite,1,7872687.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

It actually shouldn't be suprising because a lot of the people at the game are corporate suits that have no clue who the players are much less the owner.

Seriously, who really pays much attention to the secuirty guards anyway?

Cellview22
10-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the link..

The million dollar question: Why in the world would Reinsdorf do this? Does he care that much about whether people notice him now.. or was he egged on by some Tribune reporter..hmmm? :dunno:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the link..

The million dollar question: Why in the world would Reinsdorf do this? Does he care that much about whether people notice him now.. or was he egged on by some Tribune reporter..hmmm? :dunno:

An extra $6.50 an hour. :tongue:

maurice
10-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Now even if the White Sox were to win the World Series, they'd still be number 2 in their own city. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jerry Reinsdorf tested this theory himself and it is true. He decided to go undercover as a security officer and no one noticed him in his own city.

***? There are so many problems with this "report" that it's hard to decide where to begin:
- Obviously, nobody should cite the Trib as an authority on anything Sox-related.
- Why is a fan required to know what one of the many owners looks like, especially when he's wearing a disguise?
- If cub fans can't accurately identify front-office officials, does that prove that the cubs aren't really popular?
- I've "noticed" JR many times but left him alone; how could he tell whether I noticed him?
- It's extremely unlikely that JR did something to "test" CNN's "theory."
- The "test" has nothing to do with the "theory," since the only way to test it would be to win the WS.
Here's hoping that JR conducts a more reliable test.
:gulp:

hawkjt
10-12-2005, 03:38 PM
I am sure that everybody in wrigley would immediatley recognize Stanton Cook in a baseball cap and blue jeans.LOL.

HotelWhiteSox
10-12-2005, 03:46 PM
What does this prove? If they're trying to compare it popularity of the Flubs, it's stupid, since 97% of Flub fans wouldn't recognize their own GM (even if was in the park, with a shirt that said GM in big letters. Someone may go up to him and ask him why he didn't get a W on his shirt though)

I remember I once saw Uncle Jerry eating at the McCormick Place Hyatt, but I left him be. What is there to say to him? If I saw him today, I'd say congrats, but at that time, there was nothing to really say to him. There have been issues in which many would be mad at him, but I'm not going to go up to him and say "Wow, you're Jerry Reinsdorf" like some square or ask for an autograph of a business man, so I walked by, thought it was cool to see him, and then went on with my daily business (I wonder if it had anything to do with him being with some big mafia type guy who was eating with him)

Also, does this mean that Bulls are unpopular in their own city, even though they consistently have top tier NBA attendance? Last time I checked, same owner

MUsoxfan
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
An extra $6.50 an hour. :tongue:

:rolling:

KarkoFan1
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
***? There are so many problems with this "report" that it's hard to decide where to begin:
- Obviously, nobody should cite the Trib as an authority on anything Sox-related.
- Why is a fan required to know what one of the many owners looks like, especially when he's wearing a disguise?
- If cub fans can't accurately identify front-office officials, does that prove that the cubs aren't really popular?
- I've "noticed" JR many times but left him alone; how could he tell whether I noticed him?
- It's extremely unlikely that JR did something to "test" CNN's "theory."
- The "test" has nothing to do with the "theory," since the only way to test it would be to win the WS.
Here's hoping that JR conducts a more reliable test.
:gulp:

I agree. I don't think the story brought up the fact that The Bulls were one of the most popular sports franchises in the country during the 90's. If the same thing happened at that time I don't think you could say no one in the city liked the Bulls. During their reign, I am guessing most Bulls fans weren't looking for JR in disguise when they were at the UC. So give me a break. This proves absolutely nothing.

DumpJerry
10-12-2005, 04:46 PM
This is ludicrous. How is this a measure of a team's popularity? If I took everone who was at a random Cubs' game last summer and did a line up which contained either Andy McPhail or Jim Hendry, I'd bet only 1-2% of them would pick out the front office guy. And this would be without disguises!

If Ozzie or Rusty Dusty walked down a crowded street downtown or in Lincoln Park without disguises, they would be instantly recognized by a lot of people.

Iwritecode
10-12-2005, 04:54 PM
This is ludicrous. How is this a measure of a team's popularity? If I took everone who was at a random Cubs' game last summer and did a line up which contained either Andy McPhail or Jim Hendry, I'd bet only 1-2% of them would pick out the front office guy. And this would be without disguises!

You could line up half the cubs roster and only 1-2% of them would get any of the names right...

Tekijawa
10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
a little over 2 years ago while living in Lincoln Park I had a few out of town friends call me completely drunk and said that they we coming into town, staying at my apartment for the night and going to try and hook up with some Trixies... I had a Half hour to prepare my ANTI-WINGMAN Uniform... It had the complete opposite effect that I thought it would. We went to McGee's and I wore:

A Brian Urlacher Jersey:

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/84/73/ff/25457663.JPG (http://www4.shopping.com/xPF-Reebok_Chicago_Bears_Brian_Urlacher_Reebok_Replica _Jersey)

A Pod-Racer helmet (Sweet pick up at target many years ago):

http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/214800/214881/products/8334646.jpg (http://www.shop.com/op/~Pod_Racer_Helmet_Boxed_Star_Wars-prod-8334646-12072102)

And a Catchers Mitt:
http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/006/43284/00643284000-190.jpg (javascript:void(null))

I had three Girls come up to me and Ask if I was Seriously Brian Urlacher. So does that mean that this isn't a bears town?

And the answer to the question that was asked by at least 20 people, "What's the Baseball Glove for?"

"Foul Balls"

We were the life of the Bar that night!

Frankfan4life
10-13-2005, 12:41 AM
What does this prove? If they're trying to compare it popularity of the Flubs, it's stupid, since 97% of Flub fans wouldn't recognize their own GM (even if was in the park, with a shirt that said GM in big letters. Someone may go up to him and ask him why he didn't get a W on his shirt though)

I remember I once saw Uncle Jerry eating at the McCormick Place Hyatt, but I left him be. What is there to say to him? If I saw him today, I'd say congrats, but at that time, there was nothing to really say to him. There have been issues in which many would be mad at him, but I'm not going to go up to him and say "Wow, you're Jerry Reinsdorf" like some square or ask for an autograph of a business man, so I walked by, thought it was cool to see him, and then went on with my daily business (I wonder if it had anything to do with him being with some big mafia type guy who was eating with him)

Also, does this mean that Bulls are unpopular in their own city, even though they consistently have top tier NBA attendance? Last time I checked, same ownerThat's a very good point. Jerry has been on national television probably more than any other team owner in the 1990's and is a "nationally" known personality.

Is CNN trying to say that no one in Chicago, including Sox fans, ever watched the Bulls championship games or remember Jerry in all SIX postseason celebrations? That should be the story!