PDA

View Full Version : They're missing -- but not necessarily missed

Fenway
10-12-2005, 11:49 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/12/theyre_missing____but_not_necessarily_missed?mode= PF

Ed Gorin, president of Fox Sports, acknowledged, ''I think around the country the Red Sox-Yankee rivalry has become the greatest rivalry in sports, if not of all time. There's no question a lot of people would have liked to have seen a rematch. That's just not the way it works out in sports."

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, trying not to cry, said, ''It would have been hard to believe, even a month ago, that neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees would be playing for the American League pennant, but that's what makes the sport so great. The fact that so many clubs are competitive is good for baseball."

Lou Piniella, hired by Fox for some TV knowledge, said, ''The Red Sox-Yankee rivalry is so great and so intense and both teams have such a great fan following. Now we're missing that. But the Angels and White Sox are darned good baseball teams and this is going to be a good playoff. The two underdog teams got in."

Naturally, the owners of the White Sox and Angels think it's a good thing for baseball when the Yankees and Red Sox lose exclusive rights to the ALCS.

''There is a part of the country west of the Hudson River," said Chicago owner Jerry Reinsdorf. ''I would think having fresh faces in the postseason is a good thing."

Los Angeles's Arte Moreno added, ''Obviously this is good. We're here. It's always good for one to get to see new teams."

doublem23
10-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Bud Selig crying because the Yankees and Red Sox suck?

:rolleyes:

Fenway
10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
''There is a part of the country west of the Hudson River," said Chicago owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

There is ? :rolleyes:

1951Campbell
10-12-2005, 12:12 PM
There is ? :rolleyes:

It's filled with either Indians or dragons, depending on which New Yorker/New Englander you ask. Actual knowledge is sketchy at best. :D:

Ol' No. 2
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/12/theyre_missing____but_not_necessarily_missed?mode= PFPlease. I just finished lunch.

eriqjaffe
10-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Dear Mr. Gorin,

Up yours.

mccoydp
10-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Underdogs? The Sox had the second best record in all of baseball, and the Angels tied with the Yankmees and the Blow Sawx for the third best record. So, if my math is correct, by record alone, the Angels were as good as both the Yankmees and Sawx. Underdogs my ass.

Nyls Nyman
10-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Mr. Gorin is just having a coronary because he realized he may have paid a ton of money to have the White Sox sweep the Astros in the World Series and draw virtually no ratings outside of the Central time zone.

Chips
10-12-2005, 10:55 PM
This would make me sick, but I don't give a **** about it. My team is team. The Spanks and the Red Cubs couldn't beat the better teams. The two best teams in the AL are playing each other in the ALCS. **** Bawston and **** New York.

Johnny Mostil
10-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Lou Piniella, hired by Fox for some TV knowledge, said, ''The Red Sox-Yankee rivalry is so great and so intense and both teams have such a great fan following. Now we're missing that. But the Angels and White Sox are darned good baseball teams and this is going to be a good playoff. The two underdog teams got in."

"Underdog teams"? What's Piniella talking about? The top two seeds advanced.