PDA

View Full Version : OK Sox fans, admit it... any tears?

mdep524
10-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Come clean guys and gals, who cried during the pre-game last night?

Game one of the ALCS, the whole city's riding high. I was lucky enough to go to the game. Barring some unforeseen miracle, it will be the only playoff game I get to attend in person this year, and it was the first I've ever been to in my life. With my brother and my dad standing to my right, the emotion, the excitement and the happiness of the moment was overwhelming. Family, the White Sox, playoffs and Chicago autumn. Among many others, there were three moments I'll never forget.

First, about 7:00 when Jose Contreras walked from the dugout to left field to begin warming up. The ovation he received was deafening. Each section of the stands he passed roared with support as he slowly made his way across the outfield into left field and eventually the bullpen. I was sitting in right field near the foul pole, but you could still feel the excitement.

Then, a few minutes later, the 2005 video montage recapped all the highs we've already been so lucky to experience in '05: from Opening Day at the Cell, to Big Frank's return to AJ's walk off, to Crede's walk off, to the clincher in Cleveland to the ALDS clincher in Boston and a lot of moments in between. I felt a tear or two in my eye as I watched, and the tear lingered as the Sox roster was introduced along the third base line.

I knew "Thunderstruck" was going to get me. There was no doubt about it- I was thinking about it all day. So after the standard pre-game video montage I closed my eyes as I heard the song start to fade in, I knew the waterworks would start flowing. As Gene Honda chimed in to introduce the "AL Central Champion Chicago White Sox," I could barely look up as I felt my eyes swell up. As the players ran on the field, I was relieved I didn't completely bawl right there in rightfield. You can't put any kind of monetary figure or scientific formula on the richness of that atmosphere, that emotion and those moments. It can't even be properly convey in words. It's just magic. It's a moment I can only vaguely compare to being in the old Chicago Stadium with Michael Jordan in the early '90s, knowing you were about to witness history.

Yeah, the outcome of the game sucked. The Sox were flat. They didn't execute. They made horrible decisions. And they lost the game. I was bitterly disappointed, I couldn't even come here to post last night. But I'll never forget those 15 minutes before the game. This team has done so much and meant so much to me, it was a heck of a moment.

The rest of the games I'll be watching. From home, or from Shoeless Joe's, or from work. Those of you who get to go to the Cell, cherish it!!!

Rocky Soprano
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I will be there tonight and can't wait. More than likely it will be the only playoff game I attend and I fully expect to tear up a bit.

It's great that you had a good time and I'm sure it was an experience you will cherish forever.

GO SOX!

Sxy Mofo
10-12-2005, 11:44 AM
As a transplanted Sox fan I can't get to any of those games... thanks for the vivid description of the stuff we can't see on tv.

Madvora
10-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Definite tears during Game 1 of the ALDS. I'll be there tonight again.
The whole pregame atmosphere just brings on a huge rush of emotion, especially with the 2005 video.
It sounds ridiculous because it's just a game, but you are hit with so much emotion and intensity before the game it overwhelms you.

rookieroy
10-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Your description is perfect...it was all that!!!! Nice job. I will be bringing my 10 year old son tonight and your right! It will be an experience that I never had a chance to do with my dad. My son wouldn't understand that yet, but, someday he will. Let's get 'em Sox!!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MeteorsSox4367
10-12-2005, 12:07 PM
I was teary-eyed watching the intro at the Cell during the regular season and now that it's the playoffs, mercy. I was there for Game 1 of the ALDS and couldn't make eye contact with the co-workers I was with because I was getting emotional. I even get misty watching the damn Hawks' intro at the UC.

I guess it's the whole concept of the Sox being in the playoffs and being a lifelong Sox geek that gets to me. Plus, I'm lucky enough to have my Dad still around and he passed his interest in baseball as a whole and the Sox in particular on to me. Even though the Sox lost last night, it was still cool to watch the game on TV with him and hear him say, "C'mon. Who the hell taught these guys to bunt? Let's go!"

I'll be there tonight; I'm ready.

Let's Go Sox! This is still our year!

Record with me in attendance in 2005: 6-5

cheeses_h_rice
10-12-2005, 12:21 PM
During the pre-game montage of Sox highlights throughout the year, I happened to look up at the scoreboard, and my eyes immediately were drawn to the little piece of white cloth flapping in the breeze just to the left, which read "1917."

Yeah, that got to me.

Hangar18
10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Come clean guys and gals, who cried during the pre-game last night?

Game one of the ALCS, the whole city's riding high. I was lucky enough to go to the game. Barring some unforeseen miracle, it will be the only playoff game I get to attend in person this year, and it was the first I've ever been to in my life. With my brother and my dad standing to my right, the emotion, the excitement and the happiness of the moment was overwhelming. Family, the White Sox, playoffs and Chicago autumn. Among many others, there were three moments I'll never forget.

First, about 7:00 when Jose Contreras walked from the dugout to left field to begin warming up. The ovation he received was deafening. Each section of the stands he passed roared with support as he slowly made his way across the outfield into left field and eventually the bullpen. I was sitting in right field near the foul pole, but you could still feel the excitement.

Then, a few minutes later, the 2005 video montage recapped all the highs we've already been so lucky to experience in '05: from Opening Day at the Cell, to Big Frank's return to AJ's walk off, to Crede's walk off, to the clincher in Cleveland to the ALDS clincher in Boston and a lot of moments in between. I felt a tear or two in my eye as I watched, and the tear lingered as the Sox roster was introduced along the third base line.

I knew "Thunderstruck" was going to get me. There was no doubt about it- I was thinking about it all day. So after the standard pre-game video montage I closed my eyes as I heard the song start to fade in, I knew the waterworks would start flowing. As Gene Honda chimed in to introduce the "AL Central Champion Chicago White Sox," I could barely look up as I felt my eyes swell up. As the players ran on the field, I was relieved I didn't completely bawl right there in rightfield. You can't put any kind of monetary figure or scientific formula on the richness of that atmosphere, that emotion and those moments. It can't even be properly convey in words. It's just magic. It's a moment I can only vaguely compare to being in the old Chicago Stadium with Michael Jordan in the early '90s, knowing you were about to witness history.

Yeah, the outcome of the game sucked. The Sox were flat. They didn't execute. They made horrible decisions. And they lost the game. I was bitterly disappointed, I couldn't even come here to post last night. But I'll never forget those 15 minutes before the game. This team has done so much and meant so much to me, it was a heck of a moment.

The rest of the games I'll be watching. From home, or from Shoeless Joe's, or from work. Those of you who get to go to the Cell, cherish it!!!

Yeah, and here I thought I was the only one. Thanks for being first mdep.
the Standing O before the game even started, the Video Montage with the excellent music, the buzz in the air, and then The Star Spangled Banner .......it was llike a Hawks game ..........the woman Alison Peacock singing, and the stadium eerie silent ......then you could hear Cheers throughout the stadium ....... THen of course to our standard pregame intro .......... the Video History of the team .......all set to the theme Music from Pirates of Carribbean .......... and after it was all Finished .........a Deafening Roar ........everyone ALREADY standing ....... and gene honda
saying .........ALLRITE SOX FANS .........
Very Moving .................for sure

Chicken Dinner
10-12-2005, 12:47 PM
There's no crying in baseball!:whiner:

Cat Thief
10-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I had a tear in the Game 1 of the ALDS. None since.

Mission October is underway.

ChicagoHoosier
10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Game 1 of ALDS, felt the same way. Not a tear, but close to a tear. I only have a 11 year history of being a Sox fan since I transplanted from Indy and grew up a Reds fan, but I still knew the 83 team and have learned and read more about the history of the Sox, so to see footage in the video clip in a playoff game was very moving.

That, the season recap clip, the whole experience, made me shudder.

I'm glad this is what this thread was about. I was afraid it was about something else.

ChiSoxGirl
10-12-2005, 01:03 PM
I had tears in my eyes last week when I was at Game 2 of the ALDS. After listening to this great trio sing The National Anthem (I forget their name- it was three young guys who have sung there before), watching that awesome month-by-month montage of highlights, coupled with the usual montage we see before "Thunderstruck..." yeah, I had tears.

There's something so emotional about post-season baseball and I never thought I'd welcome crying as much as I have over the past week. We'll see if I cry at tonight's game!

chisoxfanatic
10-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I was at both Game 1 and Game 2 of the ALDS and will be there once again tonight. I'll get there early enough so I don't miss the montage like I did both games in the ALDS.

I've cried during the Thunderstruck portion during the regular season...I can only imagine that I will cry today when watching it all unfold as well.

I'm a very emotional woman...Here's hoping for a SOXessfull game tonight!

Go sox!

TheArmyOfNeems
10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Last nights game can be summarized with this (http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/mp3s/lesson_parts/blues/BluesByTheBar/blues_by_the_bar3.mp3) tune

itsnotrequired
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
During the pre-game montage of Sox highlights throughout the year, I happened to look up at the scoreboard, and my eyes immediately were drawn to the little piece of white cloth flapping in the breeze just to the left, which read "1917."

Yeah, that got to me.

It was because of the curse, right?

MsSoxVixen22
10-12-2005, 02:39 PM
I was teary eyed when the Sox swept Boston

tdh11
10-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't cry but I did pace for about an hour after the game. Didn't feel to proud at the start up thanks to FOX's stupid opening.

WE ARE NOT CURSED!!!

mike squires
10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
I had a few after the game...

mike squires
10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I felt really strange yesterday. I was incredibly calm. Although I was looking forward to the game I was not as excited for some reason leading up to the game. I felt weird and dissapointed in myself. Here is our first trip to the ALCS with world series in the distance and I didn't care. I went out and got a 12 pack and picked up a pizza. When I pulled into pizza hut I heard them cut into the National Anthem and when I heard the crowd start cheering I got all giddy and started laughing out loud.

I was hoping my brother was going to come watch the games with us from Florida but he decided not to. Maybe I was a little dissapointed in that.

I know for a fact I would have teard up if I had been at the game. I got goosebumps and teared up the first game of the Indian series. That video clip does it to me everytime...

gogosox35
10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I really really really really wish I could be at these games. Guess thats the price I paid for going to school in Kansas. But I'm a guy and I can admit that during the regular season watching the video montage at the stadium gets me teary eyed sometimes. It did in 2000 when the entire crowd cheered throughout. I think its one of the most special parts about sox games.

Why, why, why don't they make each video public after the season? I'd sure pay 5 bucks for 2 minutes of that clip. And i'd watch it over, and over, and over, and over again.