PDA

View Full Version : No celebs, no problem article in Sun-Times

Hitmen77
10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Wow,
Whatever happened to the Uncle Jerry who was totally tone-deaf in terms of fan relations? I love his comments in this article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-nocelebs12.html

"When actor John Cusack reportedly inquired about getting tickets recently, Reinsdorf rejected him. He still remembers when Cusack became the world's biggest Cubs fan during the North Siders' 2003 playoff run. Cusack used to be a White Sox fan," Reinsdorf said, recalling Cusack coming to the Sox 2000 playoffs. "He showed his true colors. Now that we won, someone on his behalf called my office. I wouldn't give them to him."

jackbrohamer
10-12-2005, 12:11 PM
What a cheapskate Cusack is, he hits up Reinsdorf himself so he can get free tickets?

Uncle_Patrick
10-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Hopefully, Jim Belushi will still be able to score some tickets.

cheeses_h_rice
10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
I stood behind Dawn Clark Netsch last night.

:thumbsup:

Hondo
10-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Good. Celebs just take away from the broadcast anyway.

"Now look, its the cast of the OC!!!"

Gimme a Break

tstrike2000
10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
We don't need no stinking celebs. That's why we win...Under the Radar. :smile:

CaptainBallz
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I love it! That says SOOO much about this organization and why I love it and indentify with it. I cannot stand the celebrity worship in our society and it speaks volumes about JR's understanding of the fanbase to give Cusack the bird because he just wants to be seen.
All the way, Sox!

Rocky Soprano
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
This is awesome! Good going JR! :gulp:

1951Campbell
10-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Jerry, that is the most perfect response to such a request as I can imagine. Pat yourself on the back for that one.

Sox of White
10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
"We don't need celebrities here," Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said before Tuesday's game. "We have real fans."

Also well put by Jerry.

GoGoSoxReborn
10-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Seriously? Who is this guy?

JR couldn't have pulled more of a 180 in the past few years.

He dosen't let in turncoat celebrities, he wants to keep Frank around, he was willing to take on Griffey's contract, he actually wants to win?!?!?

Keep the surprises coming Jerry! As long as they are good surprises!

Hitmen77
10-12-2005, 01:06 PM
What a cheapskate Cusack is, he hits up Reinsdorf himself so he can get free tickets?

No kidding! Can't Cusack afford tickets from stubhub.com? Doesn't Joan have access to the US Cellular skybox?

Fenway
10-12-2005, 01:13 PM
doesn't Cusak's sister do the US Cell commercials?

cheeses_h_rice
10-12-2005, 01:22 PM
No kidding! Can't Cusack afford tickets from stubhub.com? Doesn't Joan have access to the US Cellular skybox?
It ain't about the $$$. It's about the prestige, being recognized, and being given better seats than 99% of the regular shlubs that pay this team's ****ing bills, that's what.

credefan24
10-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe JR was abducted by aliens and this is his synthetic double?! hmmmmm?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I heard Hemmert and Brehmer whining on the radio this morning on behalf of Cusack's plea for tickets. Figures...

Then I suddenly remembered why I ALWAYS listen to my CD collection and not stupid radio stations... and everything else this morning was just fine.

:cool:

http://www.wxrt.com/program/bio/images/terri_hemmert.jpg
"I have a face for radio!"

Dan Mega
10-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Mike Denton of Desperate Housewives was reportedly there last night but wanted to remain inconspicuous, saying that it would take the focus off the game and he was just there to cheer for his Sox.

If celebrities are going to attend, they should follow in his footsteps :D:

Railsplitter
10-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Isn't John Cusack a D-list celeb anyway?

SweetnesSox
10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
obviously, he's not on any list. even those scrubby white sox.

skottyj242
10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
obviously, he's not on any list. even those scrubby white sox.

Is there an officer in the house?

wdelaney72
10-12-2005, 02:09 PM
While I agree with JR's decision, I just hope he keeps it consistent.

Iwritecode
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM

He's at least a B-list.

He's probably most famous for that scene in Say Anything where he was holding the boombox over his head and playing Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes".

zach23
10-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Since John is a big cubs fan lets just send him some simulated tickets. He should be used to enjoying simulated games by now.
He can sit with Jim Belushi, Ronnie WooWoo, Bernie Mac, Vince Vaughn, Eric Ferguson, Billy Corgan, the DJs from WXRT, Bill Murray, Jeff Garlin, and Jeremy Piven amongst the rubble of the Wrigley bleachers where they all belong.

Fenway
10-12-2005, 02:20 PM
I told JR to keep my evil Cub loving brother out. I heard he wanted to invite Woo-Woo to sit with him

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/img/daily/620/joan_l.jpg

chitownhawkfan
10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Is there an officer in the house?

:tealpolice:

I think we are going to need backup...

By the way, what the hell are people doing throwing back home run balls at the cell! That is ridiculous.

AnkleSox
10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
doesn't Cusak's sister do the US Cell commercials?

Everytime I think of Joan Cusack I want to shoot myself in the face.

MsSoxVixen22
10-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Mike Denton of Desperate Housewives was reportedly there last night but wanted to remain inconspicuous, saying that it would take the focus off the game and he was just there to cheer for his Sox.

If celebrities are going to attend, they should follow in his footsteps :D:

Mike Denton?! Whoa......I thought he was a big flubbies fan? ***. Its all about being "seen". God forbid people see him at Sox Park and think he's a fan of a WINNING ball club

Fenway
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM

Everytime I saw the commercial where she was searching for a signal I was rooting for the car to run her over

what a voice :o:

thank goodness we don't have US Cell in this market ( bad enough she in NH and Maine tho )

DumpJerry
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM

She's a lifelong Sox fan. When she ran for Governor in '84, I was featured in one of her commercials which ran a lot on ESPN. The commercial was shot the day after the Strike started and I was "playing" a Sox fan at a game. The narrator talked about all these allegedly evil things the incumbent had done as Governor and then I jumped up and yelled "He's outa here!" as if I just watched Toriiiii try to score in extra innings off of us. It was fun. They had me wear a Sox hat and jersey and it only took two takes (the sound did not pick up correctly on the first take). I had to sit there with a look of serious concentration on my face, which comes naturally when I am watching the Sox. The commercial was shot at the baseball park at Northwestern University where the seats were a similar shade of blue as Comiskey's seats.

This thread has raised my esteem of JR a whole lot, BTW.

soxfanreggie
10-12-2005, 06:29 PM
I hear this clogging up the radiowaves and it makes me sick. He ended up being seen at the game anyway.

batmanZoSo
10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
JR blew it. Cusack could have held up a ghetto blaster like he did in that one movie in the 80s, but playing AC/DC for the opening festivities.

antitwins13
10-13-2005, 01:11 AM
We don't need no stinking celebs. That's why we win...Under the Radar. :smile:

Yeah I hate celebs, except for Da Mare.

CJLove23
10-13-2005, 03:42 AM
UGH!! I remember when John Cusack went on Jay Leno for Pete's Sake and went on and on and ON about how great the Cubs were, and how he is absolutely positive that they were going to the World Series in 2003. The next day his mug and some other actor (D.B. Sweeney I think) sitting next to him got to see them choke :D: Why the heck does he want to go to a Sox game now?? :angry: Guess he misses being on T.V. and thought there'd be a possibility of showing him

CaptainBallz
10-13-2005, 03:59 AM
http://i.timeinc.net/ew/img/daily/620/joan_l.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

My EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viva Medias B's
10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
The commercial was shot at the baseball park at Northwestern University where the seats were a similar shade of blue as Comiskey's seats.

Rocky Miller Park, NU's ballfield, has metal seats that are purple. They are nothing like Comiskey's seats.

bennyw41
10-13-2005, 08:52 AM
John Cusak and Michael Jordan sat in box 39, behind me at last nights game...It was horrible. Too many people were taking pictures, it was a 1-1 game in the bottom of the ninth, and their not even paying attention

tlebar318
10-13-2005, 09:35 AM
John Cusak and Michael Jordan sat in box 39, behind me at last nights game...It was horrible. Too many people were taking pictures, it was a 1-1 game in the bottom of the ninth, and their not even paying attention

Cusack and MJ? That's a rather odd couple...Well at least I know Michael is a Sox Fan!

Iwritecode
10-13-2005, 11:19 AM
High Fidelity was on Comedy Central last night and I immediately thought of this thread... :cool:

soxgirl617
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Mike Denton?! Whoa......I thought he was a big flubbies fan? ***. Its all about being "seen".

It's James Denton, not Mike. I believe he actually is a Sox fan....from days when he worked in Chicago. I think his throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley (or did he sing?) was career promotion. (Can't blame a guy for that, as long as he doesn't start showing up at Wrigley afterwards.) He was using the CUbbies fans, but he's a Sox fan.

CJLove23
10-13-2005, 12:49 PM

So the weasel got tickets anyways?? :?: Was he even rooting for the Sox, even while wearing his Angel's hat?

thechico
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Netsch is NOT a celeb. How many people here know who she is without checking?
http://news.siu.edu/photos/Netsch_sm.jpg
Netsch.... Illinois' answer to Janet Reno.

Still better than the bumpkin tho.

thechico
10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
She's a lifelong Sox fan. When she ran for Governor in '84, I was featured in one of her commercials which ran a lot on ESPN. The commercial was shot the day after the Strike started and I was "playing" a Sox fan at a game. The narrator talked about all these allegedly evil things the incumbent had done as Governor and then I jumped up and yelled "He's outa here!" as if I just watched Toriiiii try to score in extra innings off of us. It was fun. They had me wear a Sox hat and jersey and it only took two takes (the sound did not pick up correctly on the first take). I had to sit there with a look of serious concentration on my face, which comes naturally when I am watching the Sox. The commercial was shot at the baseball park at Northwestern University where the seats were a similar shade of blue as Comiskey's seats.

Yeah, like the biscuit and gravy eaters needed another reason to hate her.

rocky biddle
10-13-2005, 01:10 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/10/12/u3Myyqfy.jpg

I wonder how long he kept that hat on after the picture was taken. It doesn't even look like it fits.

DumpJerry
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Rocky Miller Park, NU's ballfield, has metal seats that are purple. They are nothing like Comiskey's seats.
On television, they apeared to be similar. Also, this was 1994, the seats might have been different then.

the gooch
10-13-2005, 02:50 PM
why would you want to look like her?

South Side
10-13-2005, 04:21 PM
It's James Denton, not Mike. I believe he actually is a Sox fan....from days when he worked in Chicago. I think his throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley (or did he sing?) was career promotion. (Can't blame a guy for that, as long as he doesn't start showing up at Wrigley afterwards.) He was using the CUbbies fans, but he's a Sox fan.

He's Mike on the show, however, James Denton is actually a Sox fan. I read an MLB article on him about what a big fan he is and he knew his stuff especially about the early 90's teams. It also mentioned how when he was on Oprah she let him do something with the Red Sox and he was dissapointed b/c he is a Real Sox fan.

SaltyPretzel
10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Gary Fencik was sitting behind me in the last row of section 128.

Dick Allen
10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Netsch is NOT a celeb. How many people here know who she is without checking?
http://news.siu.edu/photos/Netsch_sm.jpg
Netsch.... Illinois' answer to Janet Reno.

Still better than the bumpkin tho.Well, your running that picture just ruined my day (and maybe tomorrow and the next day).

slavko
10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Joan Cusack is looking too thin in the recent USCell ads. Get the girl some churros, quick.

CanBuehrleWait
10-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Since John is a big cubs fan lets just send him some simulated tickets. He should be used to enjoying simulated games by now.
He can sit with Jim Belushi, Ronnie WooWoo, Bernie Mac, Vince Vaughn, Eric Ferguson, Billy Corgan, the DJs from WXRT, Bill Murray, Jeff Garlin, and Jeremy Piven amongst the rubble of the Wrigley bleachers where they all belong.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

whtsx1959
10-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Michael Jordan most likely got those tickets for free (winning 6 championships while JR was owner) and I don't think MJ sold the tickets to John Cusak, which probably means he got in for free with JR's tickets.

Still, it's nice that JR said no to his face.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Seriously? Who is this guy?

JR couldn't have pulled more of a 180 in the past few years.

He dosen't let in turncoat celebrities, he wants to keep Frank around, he was willing to take on Griffey's contract, he actually wants to win?!?!?

Keep the surprises coming Jerry! As long as they are good surprises!

maybe some alien clone took over his body. or maybe he's a Cylon.

i just hope we can keep this team and pitching staff together for a while. good teams have a habit of dissolving here in chicago

CJLove23
10-14-2005, 12:12 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/10/12/u3Myyqfy.jpg

Well he's definitely better looking with a black and white cap as opposed to a red and blue :smile:

Chisox353014
10-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Well he's definitely better looking with a black and white cap as opposed to a red and blue :smile:

Isn't everyone?

HotelWhiteSox
10-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Cusack and MJ? That's a rather odd couple...Well at least I know Michael is a Sox Fan!

http://www.pejmanesque.com/archives/JordanCubs.jpg

MJeff was at the DS too

Now I understand, Moronotti wants to be a celebrity, he mimics them and that's why he's a :windsock:

CJLove23
10-14-2005, 06:14 AM
http://www.pejmanesque.com/archives/JordanCubs.jpg

:puking:

VenturaSoxFan23
10-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Sorry, but I'll never forgive MJ for stealing the spotlight from the 1993 ALCS. Never, ever, ever. "Retire" on your own time, friend, the Sox don't make the playoffs very often. :angry:

SaltyPretzel
10-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Isn't everyone?

Except for this guy:

:shammy

VenturaSoxFan23
10-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I dunno, Hawk would love to see "The Panther" back in black.

Look at the photo spread stretched across upper deck concourse and there's a picture of this guy. He's almost hidden behind his bat!:D:

mrs. hendu
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
I love it! That says SOOO much about this organization and why I love it and indentify with it. I cannot stand the celebrity worship in our society and it speaks volumes about JR's understanding of the fanbase to give Cusack the bird because he just wants to be seen.

Exactly!

BTW I hate calling celebrities "American royalty". ***??!! :angry: