PDA

View Full Version : Alomar out of our hair?

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 08:45 AM
All-Star second baseman Roberto Alomar was traded from the Cleveland Indians to the New York Mets on Tuesday as part of an eight-player deal.

New York sent Cleveland outfielder Matt Lawton, outfield prospect Alex Escobar, pitcher Jerrod Riggan and two players to be named in exchange for Alomar and two players to be named, a baseball official familiar with the trade said on the condition he not be identified.

The trade, the first big deal of the winter meetings, was first reported by Newsday on its Web site Tuesday morning.
Copyright 2001, The Associated Press

Viva Magglio
12-11-2001, 09:05 AM
We play the Mets in interleague play in 2002.

More importantly for us, how do these Mets impact Cleveland?

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 09:12 AM
Lawton always got us pretty good. Thought we were rid of him .

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2001, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Lawton always got us pretty good. Thought we were rid of him .

That was my first thought, too. So now JR and KW can start sweating a bit more about simply backing their way into the AL Central championship.

:KW
"Winning championships costs money."

:reinsy
"And we haven't got any."

:fans
"For eighty-four straight years?"

:ohno
"We're doomed."

dougs78
12-11-2001, 10:35 AM
This is another good omen for the Sox. Lawton was indeed good against the Sox, but I would be willing to bet that Alomar was better. Anyway, now cleveland has lost Gonzalez and Alomar along with Lofton and Cordova. Considering they've replaced them with Lawton, Anderson and Jolbert Cabrera, I'd say they've taken a significant step backwards.

I actually think the trade could turn out pretty smartly for the Tribe if Escobar ever taps that potential they keep talking about and Lawton continues to improve. But anytime you trade a sure-fire HOF'er at age 32, you are asking for trouble in my opinion. But as far as next year is concerned I think this certainly weakens them as a team.

cheeses_h_rice
12-11-2001, 10:43 AM
While I do worry about Lawton and Escobar, the Indians' trading away of Alomar is a good omen that they are perhaps beginning the dismantling of the crew that's given the Sox such fits the last 7 years. I for one will be quite happy to see the Vizquel/Alomar DP combination gone. Now if only Jim Thome could be traded to, say, the Padres, and Colon to, say, the Angels, all would be good.

:gulp:

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 12:13 PM
This trade seems a bit lopsided to me. I've always like Lawton since he played for the minor
league team in my hometown, but Alomar fills
a tougher position to find high quality players
and is one of the best of my time. Is his contract up after this year. If he was that easy to be had the sox might have been able to offer a
better trade if you ask me.

Not that anyone did.