PDA

View Full Version : Sickening Fox ALCS Game 1 Intro - WE'RE NOT CURSED!!!

Madvora
10-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Last night's intro of the ALCS was just loaded with Shoeless Joe curse talk. It made me sick.
Fox is looking for anything, besides the baseball, to focus on in this series.

Fenway
10-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Last night's intro of the ALCS was just loaded with Shoeless Joe curse talk. It made me sick.
Fox is looking for anything, besides the baseball, to focus on in this series.

if you get into the Series it will get worse

A Boston columnist wrote

If the White Sox make it to the World Series, prepare for a bombardment of stories about the 1919 Black Sox. Chicago's American League franchise has made it to only one World Series since the fix of 1919, and the sports world is nothing like it was in 1959 when Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox took on the Dodgers. Eliot Asinof's excellent ''Eight Men Out" will have new shelf life and John Sayles's classic film of the same name will be hard to find in video stores.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/11/with_no_red_sox_the_mind_wanders/

Hitmen77
10-12-2005, 11:44 AM
It wasn't all bad - they had some good clips from the '59 team.

Just sit back and enjoy the Sox playoff run and the positive attention we're finally getting. :cool:

stl_sox_fan
10-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Did anyone notice that the Sox players were the only ones that spoke in the intro? Did they film this thing on Saturday and just post production the winner of the other ALDS in Tuesday? Or maybe I'm thinking too hard on this one.

Madvora
10-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Did anyone notice that the Sox players were the only ones that spoke in the intro? Did they film this thing on Saturday and just post production the winner of the other ALDS in Tuesday? Or maybe I'm thinking too hard on this one.
I noticed that. Just pictures of the Angels guys, while PK, AJ and someone else spoke... who was it... Ozzie?

Anyway, freezing on the picture of Shoeless Joe right before going to commercial break almost made me jump out the window.

IA_soxfan
10-12-2005, 12:03 PM
This all just goes to show the sports media's complete lack of historical knowledge when it comes to baseball. Yes, Shoeless Joe knew about the fix, but he was definitely not the ringleader. I don't see why all of the focus deserves to be on him.

CaptainBallz
10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...that's gonna be their story. We can't forget that the national media hasn't had to sell the Sox at all before this, so they need an angle now. Granted, it's a lame angle. But it's the angle that sold millions on Boston last year and made losers lovable the year before. They're not gonna stray from that recipe.

Do we really give a ****?

Sarah
10-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I was actually throwing things at the screen during the introduction (I keep a supply of stuffed animals for just this purpose - throwing at the TV, I mean).

There is no curse!

WhiteSox16K
10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
This all just goes to show the sports media's complete lack of historical knowledge when it comes to baseball. Yes, Shoeless Joe knew about the fix, but he was definitely not the ringleader. I don't see why all of the focus deserves to be on him.

Yes, stupid media needs a catchy name and idea to sell their product. Fox is building the Sox up like it has something to do with a curse (which we all know is not true) and that we (as fans) believe in this bull. IMO, for Fox, the "Curse of Sholess Joe" sounds like a curse of the past few years (that we could not stop hearing of) and they need to sell the seires. It's bull, but whatever, I am done paying attention to it anyway.

IA_soxfan
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes, stupid media needs a catchy name and idea to sell their product. Fox is building the Sox up like it has something to do with a curse (which we all know is not true) and that we (as fans) believe in this bull. IMO, for Fox, the "Curse of Sholess Joe" sounds like a curse of the past few years (that we could not stop hearing of) and they need to sell the seires. It's bull, but whatever, I am done paying attention to it anyway.

Very true, but I can't say that I didn't see this coming. Obviously last years curse-a-thon, as well as that of the Cubs in 2003, was a ratings boon for the media. Its not suprising at all that they're trying to carry it over to this year. My big question is what curse will they invent if the Halos make it to the WS? The curse of the owner who looks like the owner of Wally World from the movie Vacation?

CaptainBallz
10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
My big question is what curse will they invent if the Halos make it to the WS? The curse of the owner who looks like the owner of Wally World from the movie Vacation?

:roflmao:

nlentz88
10-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes during the intro when Fox kept showing clips of a black cat running across the screen. Isn't the most famous black cat story in baseball about the collapse of the 69 Cubs? Why use a black cat to introduce the White Sox in the ALCS? The crap that followed about Shoeless Joe was inane. Stupid Fox.

Fenway
10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure what to make of these "White Sox" songs
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/sports_songs_and_beyond.shtml
THOSE CUBBIE FANS CLAIM THAT THEIR CURSE IS WORSE
BUT THE WHITE SOX HAVE A REAL LIVE CURSE
IT'S THE CURSE OF INJUSTICE OF NINETEEN TWENTY
AGAINST BUCK WEAVER WHO DIDN'T TAKE A PENNY

PLAYING IN THE SERIES OF NINETEEN NINETEEN
SOME WHITE SOX PLAYERS DID NOT PLAY CLEAN
BUCK PLAYED WITHOUT ERROR BATTED THREE TWENTY FOUR
IN THIS WORLD SERIES ONLY SHOELESS JOE DID MORE

GUILT BY ASSOCIATION WAS THE LANDIS DECREE
OTHERS DID THE SAME OR WORSE THEY GOT OFF FREE
IN TIME BUCK WOULD'VE MADE IT TO THE HALL OF FAME
INSTEAD HE'S STUCK IN THE BASEBALL HALL OF SHAME

CHORUS

WILL THE WHITE SOX EVER WIN?
NOT 'TIL BASEBALL LETS BUCK BACK IN!
THE CURSE OF THE WHITE SOX CAN BE WIPED OUT
LET BUCK BACK IN ALLTHE FANS SHOUT!!

BUCK PLAYED THIRD CLOSE AND HE PLAYED LIKE A FIEND
HIS JUG EARED FACE SMILED LIKE A JACK ON HALLOWEEN
BUCK WANTED TO PLAY BALL MORE THAN EAT
HE'D RATHER HAVE DIED THAN SUFFER DEFEAT

YES, BUCK WEAVER PLAYED THIRD BASE WITHOUT FLAW
COBB SAID HE WAS THE GREATEST HE EVER SAW
BUCK'S GHOST STILL ROAMS THE OLD BALLFIELD
WAITING FOR THIS INJUSTICE TO BE REPEALED

REPEAT CHORUS

REPEAT THIRD LINE ONCE

REPEAT FOURTH LINE ELEVEN TIMES AND FADE

SON, YOU WANT TO KNOW THE BEST PLAYER I EVER SAW?
ONE WHO COULD HIT, FIELD, AND THROW WITHOUT FLAW
THIS MAN WHO HAD A GLOVE WHERE TRIPLES WENT TO DIE
THREW FURTHER AND HIT PURER THAN BABE OR TY

IN THE MOVIE FIELD OF DREAMS HE HAD A GHOSTLY FORM
I SAW HIM PLAY FOR REAL IN HIS WHITE SOX UNIFORM
SHOELESS JOE PLAYED FOR WAYCROSS IN 'TWENTY FIVE
WHEN HE STEPPED ON THE FIELD THE CROWD CAME ALIVE

AT THE END OF THE INNING IF HE CAUGHT THE BALL
HE'D RUN DEEP AND TOUCH THE CENTERFIELD WALL
JOE SHOT THE BALL BACK LIKE A JET IN THE SKY
WAY OVER THE BACKSTOP IT CONTINUED TO FLY

CHORUS

SAY IT AIN'T SO BASEBALL SAY IT AIN'T SO
DON'T DENY THE HALL OF FAME TO SHOELESS JOE
JOE SERVED HIS TIME, NEVER PLAYED PRO BALL
BASEBALL HIT A GRAND SLAM PUT JOE IN THE HALL

JOE PLEADED WITH COMMISKY DON'T MAKE ME PLAY
THEN IT WOULDN'T MATTER WHAT THE GAMBLERS SAY
THE OLD ROMAN SAID NO IT WASN'T GOING TO BE
SHOELESS JOE WAS PLAYING THE REST IS HISTORY

HE THREW OUT FIVE MEN AT HOME AND GAVE THE REDS FITS
HITTING THREE SEVENTY FIVE WITH A RECORD TWELVE HITS
SHOELESS JOE WASN'T GUILTY ON THE FIELD OF PLAY
WHY ISN'T SHOELESS JOE IN THE HALL OF FAME TODAY?

REPEAT CHORUS AND FADE

Madvora
10-12-2005, 01:07 PM
REPEAT CHORUS AND FADE

Repeat - no

Fade - yes

MarySwiss
10-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes during the intro when Fox kept showing clips of a black cat running across the screen. Isn't the most famous black cat story in baseball about the collapse of the 69 Cubs? Why use a black cat to introduce the White Sox in the ALCS? The crap that followed about Shoeless Joe was inane. Stupid Fox.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing about that cat. I think the story was that a black cat ran in front of Santo as he was walking to the plate or something, but what does that have to do with the Sox? Maybe tonight they'll show somebody walking under a ladder. Would make as much sense.

Fenway
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
damn cat gets around

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/features/redsox/photoessay/p354.jpg

saltwater farmer
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
There's an excellent book by Daniel A. Nathan, 'Saying It's So: a Cultural History of the Black Sox Scandal' (Univ. of Illinois Press), which examines the longevity -- and inaccuracies which have also been handed down -- of the the scandal of 1919 in American popular culture. It's an academic book, but for those who have read the various books/novels and seen the films about the Black Sox, it is well worth your time. Nathan examines almost all of the references to Joe Jackson & Co since 1920, with an emphasis on objective analysis. I read it this summer and it certainly helped prepare me for this current onslaught of crap about 1919.

Besides, didn't we all know going in to this that Fox Sports sucks?

MeteorsSox4367
10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Did we expect Fox to do some research on the Sox when they can lazily fall back onto this cursed crap? Hey, they can't even pronounce Podsednik's and Uribe's names correctly and they also misspelled "Karcovice".

Madvora
10-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Did we expect Fox to do some research on the Sox when they can lazily fall back onto this cursed crap? Hey, they can't even pronounce Podsednik's and Uribe's names correctly and they also misspelled "Karcovice".
John Miller on ESPN does it the worst ... "OOO-REE-BAY"

I miss Hawk.

CHEESESOXER
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
The best use oif their pregame crap os to allow us time to get dinner ready to sit & watch the GAME.

I also wnder whether maccravencarver has a looptape up his butt.
It never srops.

At least Ponella added some bbl knowledge.

enurb
10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
The coverage was abysmal.

How many times did we have to hear about the Angels and fatigue from their travel? They're professionals in prime condition, yet we're concerned about them being tired for a playoff game. Talk about a non-story.

Also, Scioscia and K-Rod should have been called to task for all those stupid "step-offs" by K-Rod and Shields late in the game. Talk about a rummy play -- little leaguers don't even do it. If it happens again tonight, I want our hitters calling time out and stepping out of the box repeatedly. For every one step-off, there should be two time outs before the next pitch.

I'd switch to the radio but the time delay means you hear the action about 5 seconds before you see the action.

I'm forced to watch the game in silence.

tdh11
10-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I swear I heard once that AJ speaks fluent spanish so Joe Buck's comment that AJ was just out there shaking his head caught me off gaurd

Also Pinella thinks the Rangers are in the Central

Fox thinks the curse angle will work again, they must have hired WWE writers. How bout a team that appeals to the non-Ben Afflecks/John Cusacks of the world

Madvora
10-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Also Pinella thinks the Rangers are in the Central
I heard that too.

IloveARow
10-12-2005, 08:14 PM
All I have to say is that just because every other team has a "curse" excuse for why they lose doesn't mean we have to have one. I laughed my a$$ off when I saw that intro... particularly because if you asked any white sox fan about this so-called "curse" they would at you like you're crazy!