View Full Version : BP preview

ma-gaga
10-12-2005, 10:07 AM
For the record:

Playoff Prospectus
Chicago White Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

by Jay Jaffe

["Let me explain. No, it will take to long. Let me sum up"]

Prediction With a pair or strong pitching staffs and subpar offenses, this is likely to be a low-scoring, fast-paced series--at least as compared to the Boston-New York battles of the past two years. Both teams have pitching depth and managers who know how to used it. But the Angels have a couple of serious health questions that may have an early impact, while the White Sox are so much more rested that it will likely prove decisive. The Halos need to hope they can steal a game in Chicago as they catch their collective breath from a whirlwind first round, and that whatever gamble they make on a Game Two starter pays off. Still, with the rest, home field advantage, and the fewer question marks, one has to favor the White Sox. Chicago in six.

ma-gaga
10-12-2005, 10:10 AM
And everyones favorite blowhard's article:

Prospectus Today
Heavenly Relief

by Joe Sheehan

[article cut down to summary only]

I'm going to stick with my original thought, Angels in seven, conceding that the White Sox have a lot of advantages going into the first game. If Colon is out for the series--at 5:45 a.m. PDT, I have no sense of whether he'll pitch, and Will Carroll reports (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4533) that we'll know more later today--that's almost certainly stubbornness getting in the way of rationality. This is probably a coin-flip series that will be determined by who has the best week with runners on base, on both sides of the ball.

Ol' No. 2
10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
This is probably a coin-flip series that will be determined by who has the best week with runners on base, on both sides of the ball.Great analysis. Can't you pretty much say the same about ANY game played? And these guys get paid for this?:?:

ma-gaga
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Great analysis. Can't you pretty much say the same about ANY game played? And these guys get paid for this?:?:

Not really. The Red Sox displayed some of the most atrocious defense ever played in a world series game last year.

And they won going away.

The rest of the article is snipped, but it's the standard "I wrote it at 11pm because I didn't know if the Yankees or Angels were going to make the playoffs" type story.

It is what it is.