PDA

View Full Version : Hangar's latest freak out...

Hangar18
10-12-2005, 09:52 AM
For the love of god, Jermaine Dye IS NOT a no. 3 hitter. Statheads will tell us that his #'s compare favorably to some of our other departed hitters, but the bottom line, we traded a #3 hitter for a Leadoff hitter, than never replaced the #3 hitter and instead put a decent #6 guy there. Dye is a #6 hitter ......... leave him there

DaveIsHere
10-12-2005, 09:53 AM
You werent complaining about this last week when we swept the Red Cubs

Sad
10-12-2005, 09:53 AM
problem is.... we haven't had a decent #3 hitter...

wdelaney72
10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Hangar, c'mon. AJ, Carl, and Rowand all proved to be even WORSE in the 3 hole. Big Frank is out, this team has no #3 hitter. Period. Yes, Dye is not doing well, but there's no one on this team who can do better.

Jurr
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah, dude. This is a strange point. They've been doing fine with him in the three hole. Pick another gripe. There are plenty available.

bigdommer
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
For the love of god, Jermaine Dye IS NOT a no. 3 hitter. Statheads will tell us that his #'s compare favorably to some of our other departed hitters, but the bottom line, we traded a #3 hitter for a Leadoff hitter, than never replaced the #3 hitter and instead put a decent #6 guy there. Dye is a #6 hitter ......... leave him there

We traded our number 5/6 (Lee) hitter for a leadoff hitter (Pods), and we signed another guy (Dye) to hit 5/6. Our 3 hitter (Big Hurt) who has hit in the 3 hole for decades got injured. There aren't many contigencies plans before the season to back-up future hall of famers who might get injured, but having Crazy Carl DH and mixing up the lineup is the best plan I can think of.

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 10:03 AM
The gripe should be that we need Dye to start hitting, no matter where he is. He's the closest thing we have to a 3 hitter... but HE HAS to start hitting.

Jerko
The lineup was fine, the execution and decision making was horrible. The D wasn't too great at the beginning either. We have time boys and girls, let's win tonight and put this west coast **** to bed once and for all in the process.

downstairs
Why not Paul for #3 hitter?

Isn't that what San Fran does with Barroids?

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Why not Paul for #3 hitter?

Isn't that what San Fran does with Barroids?

Because PK was 3-40 when we tried that last month.

Brian26
10-12-2005, 10:08 AM
We didn't lose the game last night because of Dye.

We lost the game because of the ridiculous number of outs we gave the Angels. For all intents and purposes, the Angels only had to beat us in a 6 inning game because we gave them about nine outs due to inept base running, terrible bunt attempts, and terrible execution. Dye's leadoff bunt attempt just didn't make sense to me. Pods and Rowand both failed to execute successful bunts. Crede missed a hit and run sign that caused AJ to be a sitting duck out at 2nd. Everyone seemed to make a mistake.

Let's get them tonight.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Our #3 hitter has a broken foot. Hangar must have missed the memo.

:cool:

downstairs
10-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Because PK was 3-40 when we tried that last month.

Hmmmm... well, maybe its silly then. It could have just been coincidence. I don't understand how a professional player can hit worse just because he's moved up/down one spot in the lineup.

BigKlu59
10-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Right on Hosehead !!!!! What in the name of Fred Mertz is Dye doing bunting in the first place... Dont even get me started on the fundamentals or lack thereof of last nights game. I hope the bonehead plays were exhausted last night. I couldnt deall with another night like last night.

bigklu:

Flight #24
10-12-2005, 10:34 AM

Translation: "A #3 hitter is anyone we traded that I can bitch about. Nevermind that there isn't any rational basis for making the claim that the guy we traded is significantly superior to Dye".

*****. The ONLY advantage Lee had over Dye was RBI, which is due to his having a lot more opportunities. BA with RISP - Lee:.273, Dye:.274. SLG with RISP - Lee:.503, Dye:.536.

Carlos Lee was a .265/.324/.487 hitter with 32HR.
Jermaine Dye was a .274/.333/.512 hitter with 31HR.

And FWIW, Lee's damage was almost exclusively in the first half. Post-ASB, he had a whopping 10HR and 38RBI, whereas Dye had 12/41. Yeah, that's what's been costing us.....

You don't like Dye as a #3 - fine. But don't try and say Carlos Lee is the guy we're missing as our #3. The only guy we're missing is limping around in a cast.

Randar68
10-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Yeah, I guess we should just bat 8 guys then and take the automatic out when the 3 spot in the order rolls around...

WHAT OPTION DO WE HAVE!?!?!?

Iguana775
10-12-2005, 10:52 AM

So who then?

Iguana775
10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I guess we should just bat 8 guys then and take the automatic out when the 3 spot in the order rolls around...

WHAT OPTION DO WE HAVE!?!?!?

I think we have a perfect #3, but he's batting #2 right now.

Too bad Frank hurt his ankle again. Though, the Sox did win 102 games w/o a true #3 and I think we can win 8 more.

ChicagoHoosier
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I think Dye fits the #3 mold, but isn't executing.

Let's face it. Ozzie has given everyone on the team a chance, and it seems like everyone would prefer their more "natural" hitting spot. AJ, Rowand, Paulie, Dye, and Carl all seem to do better when NOT in the 3 hole.

I agree Hangar, but only if we had a better option right now. Since we don't, I'd prefer Dye there to Carl or AJ.

I LOVE having Rowand and AJ at 6 and 7.

Randar68
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I think we have a perfect #3, but he's batting #2 right now.

Too bad Frank hurt his ankle again. Though, the Sox did win 102 games w/o a true #3 and I think we can win 8 more.

I don't know if he's "perfect" in that role, but he'd be a decent option there... moreso than Dye, but then we have no #2 hitter...

Don't go F'ing it all up now, stick with what got you here. If anything, put Carl back in the #3 spot, but he's not a #3 hitter either, so pick your poison...

Hangar18
10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
The gripe should be that we need Dye to start hitting, no matter where he is. He's the closest thing we have to a 3 hitter... but HE HAS to start hitting.

Very good points being brought up ........ hes in the #3 hole, because we dont have a #3 .......... doggone it ........Dye makes decent contact, the game might be still tied .

Hangar18
10-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree Hangar, but only if we had a better option right now. Since we don't, I'd prefer Dye there to Carl or AJ.

I LOVE having Rowand and AJ at 6 and 7.

Good Point ......... But heres what scares me. The SOX are about to PUSH Konerko out the door. THen we'll be Missing a #3 and #4 hitter. :angry:

Flight #24
10-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Good Point ......... But heres what scares me. The SOX are about to PUSH Konerko out the door. THen we'll be Missing a #3 and #4 hitter. :angry:

Phil Rogers - zat you? Please point to one shred of evidence or statement from anyone asociated with either the Sox or Konerko that would tell you that.

Yes, I'd bet at the beginning fo the season they were thinking that there would be a better use of resources than to spend $10-12 on Konerko. But after his season, the buzz around the team, and the revenue boost, many of those concerns will be minimized. At this point, I'd bet the only way they let him go is if they go get a guy they consider to be more of an impact hitter, in which case none of us should be complaining.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Good Point ......... But heres what scares me. The SOX are about to PUSH Konerko out the door. THen we'll be Missing a #3 and #4 hitter.

Williams tried to move Konerko last winter but nobody would bite, so he went to Plan B and instead traded Lee to Milwaukee for Podsednik, Vizcaino and enough payroll savings to get Iguchi and an upgraded starting rotation. Konerko is the hitter we kept -- not pushed out!
:o:

You know why Carlos Lee isn't playing for the 2005 Sox? Same reason Scot Schoenweis and Jason Grilli aren't in the starting rotation for the 2005 Sox. This is a GOOD THING, Hangar, not a bad one. Get a clue.

Please stop whining already, Hangar. You've been playing the same tired note for 10 months now. How much longer before you'll start bitching about that back-stabbing jerk Magglio Ordonez, too?

Cuck the Fubs
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Paulie isn't going anywhere............

Dye is not an a typical 3 hitter, but right now he's the best option, no question.
I am sure Kenny will address this # 3 hole issue once Frank's future comes more into focus.

Dye had zero to do with losing that game last night, bad baserunning/bunting did them in last night.

And my .02 is that I like this team much better without Lee & Maggs!

TheOldRoman
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
We traded our number 5/6 (Lee) hitter for a leadoff hitter (Pods), and we signed another guy (Dye) to hit 5/6. Our 3 hitter (Big Hurt) who has hit in the 3 hole for decades got injured. There aren't many contigencies plans before the season to back-up future hall of famers who might get injured, but having Crazy Carl DH and mixing up the lineup is the best plan I can think of.
All, true, but Hangar has no use for facts. In his mind, Carlos was a .330,45,130 hitter who was firmly entrenched in the 3 hole, and was ever so clutch. I had a battle with Hangar about this a couple of weeks ago. He pulls this crap when he is afraid the Sox are going to lose. By saying "Jermaine sucks, we didn't replace Magglio or Lee" he believes he will look intelligent to us in the event the Sox get eliminated on the count of poor offensive output. Last time he used such phrases as "KW made his bed, now he has to lie in it". When you point out that Dye had almost an identical year to Carlos Lee, Hangar becomes befuddled.

BTW, Dye sucks because he had ONE lousy hit last night (which would have tied the game if Scotty got the bunt down). One hit per game is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE out of the three whole. Dye should have gotten at least 3 hits last night. Carlos Lee would have.

cheeses_h_rice
10-12-2005, 11:32 AM
The solution to our problems is so obvious, people: get back to the vests!!!

Hangar18
10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
All, true, but Hangar has no use for facts. In his mind, Carlos was a .330,45,130 hitter who was firmly entrenched in the 3 hole, and was ever so clutch. I had a battle with Hangar about this a couple of weeks ago. He pulls this crap when he is afraid the Sox are going to lose. By saying "Jermaine sucks, we didn't replace Magglio or Lee" he believes he will look intelligent to us in the event the Sox get eliminated on the count of poor offensive output. Last time he used such phrases as "KW made his bed, now he has to lie in it". When you point out that Dye had almost an identical year to Carlos Lee, Hangar becomes befuddled.

BTW, Dye sucks because he had ONE lousy hit last night (which would have tied the game if Scotty got the bunt down). One hit per game is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE out of the three whole. Dye should have gotten at least 3 hits last night. Carlos Lee would have.

Yes, we did have that argument. And I said Trading your #3 for a Leadoff hitter without replacing that #3 hitter is foolishness. You love the fact that Jermaine has "almost the same numbers" as Magglio (who we also didnt replace numbers wise). Losing Frank Thomas compounds the foolishness.
Too bad you werent a GM, Id be dialing you up right now to trade DYE to you for all your prospects ........

Randar68
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Yes, we did have that argument. And I said Trading your #3 for a Leadoff hitter without replacing that #3 hitter is foolishness. You love the fact that Jermaine has "almost the same numbers" as Magglio (who we also didnt replace numbers wise). Losing Frank Thomas compounds the foolishness.
Too bad you werent a GM, Id be dialing you up right now to trade DYE to you for all your prospects ........

What are you so riled-up over? This team without Pods in the first half does NOTHING, regardless of who our #3 hitter was.

Your revisionist history is oddly hillarious to peruse...

Randar68
10-12-2005, 11:44 AM
The solution to our problems is so obvious, people: get back to the vests!!!

BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 11:46 AM

The Sox DO have a #3, a fact you keep trying to ignore. His name is Frank Thomas, the greatest #3 hitter in the history of the franchise.

You may know the Sox tried to swing a deal to get Ken Griffey, Jr., a fairly suitable replacement for injured Frank. It didn't happen but not for lack of trying. As I recall people like you were still more worried about getting another starting pitcher because Jose Contreras didn't look reliable enough. Hawk Harrelson even went on the air to declare, "Where's he gonna play?"

This thread just keeps getting dumber and dumber...

Flight #24
10-12-2005, 11:49 AM

How in heck is Carlos Lee a #3 hitter? Is it his career high 32HR? His career high .305 BA? Or is it the fact that he was traded that automatically makes him MVP-caliber?

And which of Maggs #s did we not replace? His 8HR/46RBI this year or his 9HR/37RBI last year? Man....if only we had those.....:rolleyes:

Heck - I don't miss Maggs COMBINED #s of the past 2 years....

pssondacubs
10-12-2005, 11:55 AM
The reason for the loss in my humble opionion is Ozzie was outmanaged. They knew when we were stealing, in fact everyone knew Pods was going on that pitch. They bunted when needed. The Sox tried to bunt, even when not needed. I don't know if Ozzie will learn anything from this, but he got it handed to him last night when it came to decision making. I feel bad for Contreras. He pitched a great game...

daveeym
10-12-2005, 12:17 PM
The reason for the loss in my humble opionion is Ozzie was outmanaged. They knew when we were stealing, in fact everyone knew Pods was going on that pitch. They bunted when needed. The Sox tried to bunt, even when not needed. I don't know if Ozzie will learn anything from this, but he got it handed to him last night when it came to decision making. I feel bad for Contreras. He pitched a great game...Give me a break, if the players execute we win that game. They executed for 3 games last week and didn't execute yesterday. That's why they lost.

CLR01
10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Very good points being brought up ........ hes in the #3 hole, because we dont have a #3 .......... doggone it ........Dye makes decent contact, the game might be still tied .

If Crede throws to first or Contreras throws home the game is tied. Singling out Dye is pointless.

Iwritecode
10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
The reason for the loss in my humble opionion is Ozzie was outmanaged. They knew when we were stealing, in fact everyone knew Pods was going on that pitch. They bunted when needed. The Sox tried to bunt, even when not needed. I don't know if Ozzie will learn anything from this, but he got it handed to him last night when it came to decision making. I feel bad for Contreras. He pitched a great game...

Ozzie made the right calls, it's just up to the players to execute. They didn't and they lost the game because of it.

Pods and Rowand not laying down the bunts, nobody getting clutch hits, AJ double-clutching on the pitchout, Contreras not throwing to home in the 3rd, not being able to execute a couple of double plays, etc...

fusillirob1983
10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Give me a break, if the players execute we win that game. They executed for 3 games last week and didn't execute yesterday. That's why they lost.

Perfect analysis. I said the same thing to someone right when the game ended yesterday.

Both these teams are built to have good starting pitching and to execute and make the plays they should.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Ozzie made the right calls, it's just up to the players to execute. They didn't and they lost the game because of it.

Pods and Rowand not laying down the bunts, nobody getting clutch hits, AJ double-clutching on the pitchout, Contreras not throwing to home in the 3rd, not being able to execute a couple of double plays, etc...

Stop making excuses for Ozzie. It was that lame jacket he was wearing that caused all these problems. If Ozzie isn't wearing the jacket, everything works out fine.

:wink:

Frater Perdurabo
10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Translation: "A #3 hitter is anyone we traded that I can bitch about. Nevermind that there isn't any rational basis for making the claim that the guy we traded is significantly superior to Dye".

*****. The ONLY advantage Lee had over Dye was RBI, which is due to his having a lot more opportunities. BA with RISP - Lee:.273, Dye:.274. SLG with RISP - Lee:.503, Dye:.536.

Carlos Lee was a .265/.324/.487 hitter with 32HR.
Jermaine Dye was a .274/.333/.512 hitter with 31HR.

And FWIW, Lee's damage was almost exclusively in the first half. Post-ASB, he had a whopping 10HR and 38RBI, whereas Dye had 12/41. Yeah, that's what's been costing us.....

You don't like Dye as a #3 - fine. But don't try and say Carlos Lee is the guy we're missing as our #3. The only guy we're missing is limping around in a cast.

We also should realize that Lee put up his slightly inferior numbers (when compared to Dye) while playing against inferior NL opponents! Furthermore, Dye played in fewer games (145, with 529 ABs) than Lee (162, with 618 ABs). Dye also had a better OBP (.333 to .324) and SLG (.512 to .487) than Lee, while playing better defense with a much better atm at a more important defensive position! Finally, Dye may not be hitting very well so far in the playoffs, but Carlos Lee is reserving tee times this month while Dye is still playing!

Dye is not the problem with the Sox, although I too was puzzled why he decided to bunt (although in his defense he probably was trying to catch the Angels off guard).

There's plenty of "blame" to spread around anytime our team loses by one run. There were plenty of missed opportunities and mental gaffes to go around. Hopefully they've gotten all of it out of their system and will be ready to execute tonight.

TheOldRoman
10-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Wow. Just, wow.
First of all, I said Jermaine has almost the same numbers as Carlos Lee, not Ordonez. Both Lee and Dye have much better numbers than Ordonez. You wont accept the fact that Carlos Lee never was a three hitter and never will be. We didn't trade our #3 hitter, we lost him to an injury. We replaced Lee's numbers with Dye. Dye was a more than adequate replacement, seing as he had a higher BA, and was the same in homers. He has less RBI, but as Frater said, he played in 20 less games and batted lower in the order. Wait, I forgot, Lee was clutch!
We didn't "replace" Magglio's numbers, but we swapped them for those of one of the best leadoff men in baseball. We went over this before. Even you agreed that we needed a leadoff man. Since we couldn't find one who plays 2nd, SS, or 3B, we found one who plays LF/CF. We DID replace Magglio, but Scotty has helped this team in different ways.
As for the last part of your psychotic rant, when did I say Dye was the best player ever? Did I even say he was the best hitter today? No. I said that he is a good ballplayer, and he had as good a year as the one you keep on deifying. I didn't say Dye was Manny Ramirez, or even close, and I certainly never implied that I would trade "all my prospects" for him. Dye put up the most homers of any RF in the AL, but you still ignore him because of this secret crush you have on Lee and Magglio. Would you trade all of your prospects for Neal Cotts? Of course not, but that doesn't make him a bad player.
:kukoo:

hsnterprize
10-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Hangar, c'mon. AJ, Carl, and Rowand all proved to be even WORSE in the 3 hole. Big Frank is out, this team has no #3 hitter. Period. Yes, Dye is not doing well, but there's no one on this team who can do better.Hate to jump on your case, Hangar...but you wouldn't be complaining about Dye in the 3-spot if the Sox had won last night. Nonetheless, you DEFINITELY wouldn't be complaining about it if he was able to successfully lay down a bunt last night, either.

Dye's fine batting 3rd. It's too late to tinker with the lineup, and there wasn't a problem with this when the SOx were winning 8 games in a row. So relax...the Sox will be fine.

jabrch
10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
More of this non-sense again...it's as if some people can't wait to see the Sox do poorly so they can sit around and bitch about it.

If we should happen to lose to LA, or lose in the WS, I will try my best to avoid the moron-threads where people start talking about how much they knew we sucked.

This team won 99 games. We swept the Red Sox. For the love of mercy, we had a poor game offensively yesterday, played TERRIBLE defense, and only lost 3-2. If I didn't know any better, I'd think some people had watched a baseball season in their life.

HotelWhiteSox
10-12-2005, 06:40 PM
My lineup (i know everyone is depending on it):

Pods
Everett
Iguchi
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

AJ and Dye can be switched around if need be, don't want to move Uribe and Crede, as they do their thing at the bottom.

*gets ready to duck*
:duck:

JB98
10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
My lineup (i know everyone is depending on it):

Pods
Everett
Iguchi
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

AJ and Dye can be switched around if need be, don't want to move Uribe and Crede, as they do their thing at the bottom.

*gets ready to duck*
:duck:

The lineup is likely going to stay the same. It isn't worth arguing about.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 07:05 PM
The lineup is likely going to stay the same. It isn't worth arguing about.

What, you mean Hangar's 10-month long pissy rant over this matter still hasn't been convincing enough to rearrange everything on a 99-win team?

I'm shocked, sir, SHOCKED!

JB98
10-12-2005, 07:10 PM
What, you mean Hangar's 10-month long pissy rant over this matter still hasn't been convincing enough to rearrange everything on a 99-win team?

I'm shocked, sir, SHOCKED!

Hangar blames Dye for everything. He gave up on Jermaine the second week of April. If the Sox don't win it all, I'm sure we'll be treated to yet another "Dye sucks" thread from Hangar.

kittle42
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Did Jermaine Dye shoot Hangar's dog?

Hangar18
10-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Did Jermaine Dye shoot Hangar's dog?

Cant hit to save his life. His single helped for sure ...........were winning inspite of his (and everetts) non hitting.

FarWestChicago
10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Cant hit to save his life. His single helped for sure ...........were winning inspite of his (and everetts) non hitting.:walnuts

Yeah, if JD was tearing the cover off the ball like me we would be up 2 games to none at this point!

JB98
10-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Cant hit to save his life. His single helped for sure ...........were winning inspite of his (and everetts) non hitting.

Ummmm.....There aren't many guys on our team who have been hitting the first two games of this series. Crede is hitting, and that's about it.

When the team as a whole struggles offensively, you always single out Dye. I don't understand that.
:?:

Ol' No. 2
10-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Cant hit to save his life. His single helped for sure ...........were winning inspite of his (and everetts) non hitting.Dye is 2 for 8. Only Podsednik, Uribe and Crede are hitting better. Which of these guys do you want hitting #3?:?:

FarWestChicago
10-13-2005, 06:05 PM
When the team as a whole struggles offensively, you always single out Dye. I don't understand that.
:?:Explaining Hangar (http://www.ocfoundation.org/). :cool:

ode to veeck
10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Which of these guys do you want hitting #3?:?:

I wanna see hurt play, even its with a cast on his ankle

TheOldRoman
10-13-2005, 06:32 PM
:?:
If Dye can't get a hit to save his life, your beloved Carlos Lee would certainly be dead several times over, seeing as Dye had a higher batting average despite having less protection in the lineup (Dye batted 6, Lee batted 4 or 5).
You need to seek professional help. You are becoming to Dye what Shoota was to Crede.

thepaulbowski
10-13-2005, 06:45 PM
The Sox win 99 games & the Central Division. The Sox sweep the Wrong Sox in the ALDS. The Sox are tied 1-1 in ALCS. And you are complaining about things you perceive to have been done or not done in the last offseason. Wow, just wow.

RKMeibalane
10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Our #3 hitter has a broken foot. Hangar must have missed the memo.

That's because he was adjusting his tin-foil hat.

chisoxfanatic
10-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Explaining Hangar (http://www.ocfoundation.org/). :cool:

:roflmao:

Oh, my!!!! Thanks for the laugh, West!!!