PDA

View Full Version : Don't we have enough outfielders?

Viva Magglio
12-11-2001, 07:34 AM
Why is KW trying to upgrade center field? Uh, is "Crash" still on the roster?

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 08:28 AM
I think Singlton wants to be traded and they have plans for Crash in LF. What kind of Cf are we going to get for the money they want to spend? Not an upgrade of Singleton.

dougs78
12-11-2001, 09:43 AM
I agree, I don't really see a purpose in trading CLee for a CF, espeically Payton. I'd rather keep Chris as the CF and trade Lee for pitching. The article I assume you are referring to on ESPN mentions that having Payton and Rowand in Center and Left would be a great defensive OF, but I hardly think its a huge upgrade from Singleton and Rowand.

And I pray that we don't just trade Lee to get a "veteran." If I have to choose between a 24 year old with potential and a 35 year old, both having similar stats last year, I'll take the 24 year old. That being said, Helling does intrigue me, because I actually believe he had a pretty good second half. I'd take him, but wouldn't want to give too much. The others, (rogers, oliver and appier) are just about worthless in my opinion.

Tragg
12-11-2001, 11:11 AM
Singleton is a major offensive liability - moreso than either alomar and clayton (both wretched hitters in their own rights) because of the position he plays. He is a free swinger with ZERO power; he doesn't walk. His defense is solid, not great. Clayton hits about like 1/2 of the major league shortstops - terribly; singleton, however, is about the worst hitter in the majors for a center fielder.
We need guys to get on base. Singleton cannot. Andd clayton and alomar to the list,a nd we have 30% of the lineup that can't get on base. That is why we had one of the lowest, if not the lowest, team OBP in the league last year.
We can't go into 2002 without addressing that huge need.

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Singleton is a major offensive liability - moreso than either alomar and clayton (both wretched hitters in their own rights) because of the position he plays.

I agree with what your saying here but I think Singleton would make a good 4th of/he has good defense,has some speed, good bunter and good slap
hitter. He does need some more pop and/or ability to take
a walk to be effective starter, though.

Tragg
12-11-2001, 11:59 AM
Yes - singleton is satisfactory as a fourth outfielder. Rowand would be better, imo.

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 12:23 PM
I think the Sox are going to have either Rowand or
Singleton as starter in '02, though. Preferably Rowand.