HotelWhiteSox
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Or maybe lack of execution would be a better choice of words :(:

SOXintheBURGH
6 games to win 4.

TaylorStSox
Lack of execution and the ball not bouncing our way. There were alot of balls hit hard that didn't find any grass. That's baseball.

seanpmurphy
Its only 1 game....its not like they dont realize their mistakes.

thewalkoffshot
Ugh is right, that game was horrible. Time to start a new 8 game winning streak.

RKMeibalane
6 games to win 4.

They can do it.

Dan Mega
Bad bunting and baserunning mistakes tonight. Credit to Byrd for pitching a good game. Lets get back and take game 2.

pczarapa
Can't win games with 2 runs, or getting thrown out on steal attempts.

soltrain21
10-11-2005, 11:09 PM
I was against Rowand bunting that entire time. I knew he wouldn't get a good one down. He should be swinging away in that situation. Man.

SoXPriDe33
don't show it before the pitcher goes into the stretch. :angry:

eurotrash35
better wake the bats up tomorrow night, I don't think 2 runs is going to win us many games this series

downstairs
Thank you! For once and for all:

We're not a small ball team.
We're not a base stealing team.
We're not a bunting team.

We're a starting pitching and "just enough home runs" team.

Terrible job by Ozzie. I wish we had smart enough players or coaches to over rule him at times.

John Barrett
tough loss... we didn't execute plain and simple. back at them tomorrow...no worries

dcb33
How many outs did we give away? Too many to remember...
Glad to see that tonight was South Side charity night.

RKMeibalane
I'm interested to hear what Ozzie says about the bunting.

greenpeach
The Angels "out-Soxed" the good guys. Our execution in the field & at the plate was sub-par. I really believe that as a team we were pressing out there. Better win tomorrow night or else.......

mrs. hendu
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

:angry: :angry: :angry: *** happened tonight? Freakin' Halos were supposed to be tired/jetlagged/hungover, NOT US!!!!!!!

DickAllen72
The only bunt that was ill advised was Dye's leadoff attempt.

Podsednik and Rowand did not execute their bunt attempts and so the Sox lost.

pczarapa
10-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Or maybe lack of execution would be a better choice of words :(:

Exactly, pretty sad display tonight. They stole this one.

PAPChiSox729
Ouch. Just a horrible offensive day. Jose looked great once again. He deserved a W.

Shammy Hater
couldn't turn a DP to save our lives tonight.

fielding gaffs hurt. aj and crede get passes because of extenuating circumstances, but that sucked.

too impatient at the plate.

nothing to freak out about but the better team won.

Hokiesox
Hopefully they execute better tomorrow. Washburn isn't going to be easy. This one is wasted, but winning game 1 is no predictor of an outcome of the series. Must win tomorrow.

shoota II
10-11-2005, 11:11 PM
What hurts about this loss is that we had the biggest advantage we'll have this series, and lost.

Same old offense. Suit up #35.

Did Crede miss a hit and run sign in the 7th when A.J. was caught stealing? A.J. was brooding in the dugout longer than normal after being thrown out. He eventually threw down his helmet.

RowanDye
This game was eerily remniscient of the regular season games..... :?:

Let's Go Buehrle-mon!

SoxFanSince67
What wad J. Dye, as the leadoff in an inning, doing bunting. Poor execution all way around!

TaylorStSox

Exactly. We were in a position to succeed, but failed. That's baseball.

CaptainBallz
No Execution. Nobody wins THOSE games. Period.

Good Work Jose.

Get Em Tomorrow!

mrs. hendu
nothing to freak out about but the better team won.
Rub it in. :mad:

downstairs
tough loss... we didn't execute plain and simple. back at them tomorrow...no worries

You can't execute when you give up outs. Having your leadoff hitter (who has, what, 4 steals in the past 80 games?) stealing is giving up outs. Bunting is 99% of the time giving up outs.

Freakin' let them hit! If we can't string together a few singles and doubles and hit a homer in the 9th, we're going to lose anyway.

Eric Bartman, today's top dope
Sox lose http://livephish.org/forum/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif

It's the LITTLE things that separate teams at the pro level.

The Angels did those little things, we didn't--the bunt and Contreras not going to home to stop the third run.
They deserved to win.
Game 2 is a MUST win. I only seeing the Sox winning 1 game in Analheim, so we can't go down 0-2.

Even if the Sox come back to Chi down 3-2, I can live with that.

If we lose tomorrow, I just don't know.

Sox now 0-6 at home in ALCS play since 83. :angry:

SoxEd
Poor execution by most players not named 'Jose' was what did for us tonight - botched steals, inability to lay down bunts, and a questionable throwing decision to not get the runner coming home.

It was the Sox who looked like the tired team tonight, not the Halos.

Hopefully, they used up the last of their adrenaline to get the win tonight, and we come back tomorrow hungry and focussed.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
HomeFish is probably beside himself with glee.

LongLiveFisk
I kept hoping Jose not throwing home on that one play for the Angels' 3rd run wouldn't come back to haunt us...:angry:

Hopefully a much better effort tomorrow.. Go SOX!!!

FloridaSox
Thank you! For once and for all:

We're not a small ball team.
We're not a base stealing team.
We're not a bunting team.

We're a starting pitching and "just enough home runs" team.

Terrible job by Ozzie. I wish we had smart enough players or coaches to over rule him at times.

...add that we are very good defensive team.

4 outs were given up tonight. You do not win games close games with just 23 outs.

Kogs35

:angry: :angry: :angry: *** happened tonight? Freakin' Halos were supposed to be tired/jetlagged/hungover, NOT US!!!!!!!

run on adrenilane and u have energy to win. some "experts" actually thought the angels would play in game1 and will not in game2 cause they will be dead tired. the sox where relying on the hr too much. plain and simple go get em tomorow boys

greenpeach
Hopefully they execute better tomorrow. Washburn isn't going to be easy. This one is wasted, but winning game 1 is no predictor of an outcome of the series. Must win tomorrow.

If memory serves me right, didn't the Yanks win Game 1 in Anaheim ???

oeo
This game was terrible all around, the defense, the bunts, the mental errors...absolutey TERRIBLE game. The Angels came ready to play and it looks like the rest got to these guys a little too much. They should have won this game, they had all the chances in the world...absolutely terrible effort.

A.T. Money
White Sox pissed Game 1 away.

1. Contreras trying for a double play in the 3rd instead of going home with it. That's the ballgame right there.
2. Podsednik stealing on the first pitch and got nailed by 20 feet.
3. Jermaine Dye leading off the 6th with a bunt? What the **** was that?
4. AJ stealing in the 7th???
5. Podsednik failing to lay down the bunt in the 8th...and of course Dye rips a single after that.
6. Rowand ****ing bunting with Figgins right up his ass at 3rd. Way to let him take the bat out of your hands.

The Sox gift wrapped this one. Terrible ****ing loss and this might be the one that costs them the series. This was the worst fundamentally played game the Sox have had all year.

TaylorStSox
You can't execute when you give up outs. Having your leadoff hitter (who has, what, 4 steals in the past 80 games?) stealing is giving up outs. Bunting is 99% of the time giving up outs.

Freakin' let them hit! If we can't string together a few singles and doubles and hit a homer in the 9th, we're going to lose anyway.

The FOBB's emerge.

iamkoza
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Poor execution.... and a bunch of lucky hits early doomed the sox.... it's a damn shame

minastirith67
I'm disappointed, but not terribly worried, because this is a best-of-seven series. I have a feeling that the rest of the series might have a lot of games just like this one: a few runs on a few hits with dominating pitching.

Game 2 is going to look pretty big, but even if we lose that we're not down and out.

I wish Uribe's head was in the game too. :(:

RKMeibalane
The FOBB's emerge.

Yes, they do. I'm expecting jeremyb1 any minute now.

TimoPerez
10-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Amazing job by Jose Contreras. The Angels hit one ball hard off of him all night and he was unlucky enough to have some soft ones get through for hits. That is the game though. Stuff happens. Get them tomorrow, guys.

We believe.

TaylorStSox
10-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes, they do. I'm expecting jeremyb1 any minute now.

Like we haven't been bunting all year. This is our M.O. Nothing was exposed tonight. The players didn't get it done. It's that simple. Tomorrow's a new day.

whitesoxfan1986
This game made me want to puke. I am sick of Ozzie's " we have to bunt to get the guys over" this was a utter piece of crap. awful, awful managing by Ozzie.
I am sick of this BS!!!!!

whitesoxfan
If memory serves me right, didn't the Yanks win Game 1 in Anaheim ???

yes they did, so why the teal?

i still somehow feel confident. We gave them outs, played pathetic and yet we still only lost by one. If Buehrle is on early tomorrow, we should even up the series.

JB98
I was against Rowand bunting that entire time. I knew he wouldn't get a good one down. He should be swinging away in that situation. Man.

I agree. He's a poor bunter. Why ask a guy to do something he can't do? He's failed in that situation time and time again during his time with the White Sox.

Now, when Podsednik was at the plate, the bunt was the proper play. I was very disappointed in Scott's execution, and that proved very costly. Dye's base hit right after that scores the tying run if Podsednik gets the bunt down.

iamkoza
10-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Amazing job by Jose Contreras. The Angels hit one ball hard off of him all night and he was unlucky enough to have some soft ones get through for hits. That is the game though. Stuff happens. Get them tomorrow, guys.

We believe.

I thought for sure the Vlad's shot in the 8th was gone, and i thought crede's homerun would have went farther...

Hendu
The Sox were totally outplayed in every area. Shaky D, bad execution, bad baserunning.

JD bunting to lead off the 6th in a 1-run game? ***?

Tomorrow is a must-win game so they'd better shake off that rust and give the crowd a reason to be into the game from the beginning.

doublem23
Tough loss, but the real test for the Halos is going to be how long their pitching can hold out. Byrd did a good job, but I don't think they can get those kinds of outings every night. Sox looked a bit rusty, but they played well, and had a few balls found grass instead of being lasers right at people, we could be celebrating a big win. Baseball is a cruel game sometimes.

Go get 'em tomorrow. :cool:

tstrike2000
Ok, we got our poor game out of the way. Let's execute and come back and win the next two.

mike squires
Sorry for those of you that drank one too many drinks...you're hangover will not be a good one.

FarWestChicago
This game made me want to puke. I am sick of Ozzie's " we have to bunt to get the guys over" this was a utter piece of crap. awful, awful managing by Ozzie.
I am sick of this BS!!!!!Then please go away. Thank you.

SoXPriDe33
Oh no the sky is falling here goes the Sox season!!! They lost this one game so their season is done!!

Go get 'em Tomorrow Sox. Execute better!

3rdgensoxfan
10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Poor execution. But maybe the jet lag will set in tomorrow. . . isn't that what the players were saying? Go out and win game two, simple as that.

iamkoza
you people are nuts, poor defensive decisions and poor execution offensively cost the team the game..... it's like listening to mike north in this thread

ChicagoHoosier
Looks like I'm reiterating a few posts, but agree NOT that the better team won, but that tonight we were outplayed by the Angels. I still think we're the better team and Jose should be commended (again) on his performance.

- we were 0-2 stealing and 0-2 in sacrifices - not sure i'd have sacrificed in either situation, but I'd rather hit and run and not give up the out
- they stole on our pitchout (we were caught on theirs) and Figgins was successful in his sac bunt which put the pressure on us that whole inning to score both runs
- Contreras not going home was big, but we still need to score at least 3 runs in a game to win in the playoffs
- We had leadoff guy aboard in the 8th and 9th inning and failed to capitalize. Not only that, we had so many chances to score that extra run.
- Many other plays I screamed at the TV on did not cost us a run. Just another point to being outplayed, but we somehow minmized the damage thru all that.

All in all, I'm disappointed, but if we only lose by one run after getting outplayed and making many mistakes and can learn from it, then hopefully this makes us a better team this series.

Let's get 'em tomorrow!!!

mccoydp
Bad baseball by the Sox tonight. But....

Tomorrow's another day, and another game. Go win game two with "Burly-man" on the rubber!

It was disheartening to see a pretty good performance by Contreras go by the wayside tonight.

oeo

:?:

It's not Ozzie's fault that they can't lay down a bunt...you bunt in those situations, they didn't get it done. How are you putting the blame on Ozzie?

Frank the Tank

I know what a Jerk Ozzie is. What business does a MLB Manager have expecting professional baseball players to execute bunts.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Then please go away. Thank you.

Ban him! Ban him! :cool:

JB98
Tough loss, but the real test for the Halos is going to be how long their pitching can hold out. Byrd did a good job, but I don't think they can get those kinds of outings every night. Sox looked a bit rusty, but they played well, and had a few balls found grass instead of being lasers right at people, we could be celebrating a big win. Baseball is a cruel game sometimes.

Go get 'em tomorrow. :cool:

I think we'll be OK, but I wouldn't say we played well. Contreras did a great job. He gave his teammates an opportunity. We had opportunities, but we did not execute in key situations.

PAPChiSox729
Tomorrow is a must-win game so they'd better shake off that rust and give the crowd a reason to be into the game from the beginning.

I wouldn't call it a 'must win'. We really should win that one, but coming back from a 2-0 deficit in a LCS is difficult, but not impossible. We could still overcome that 2 game deficit with the pitching we have. That being said, Buehrle needs to be on his game tommorrow.

ElDuque26
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
crede needed more than a hr to clear up the horrific outing that he had... terrible decision in the third with the double clutch costs us a run...maybe messed up a hit&run(or A.J. was mindboggling) and then strikes out miserably two other times...maybe ozuna tomorrow...someone with a brain

RKMeibalane
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't call it a 'must win'. We really should win that one, but coming back from a 2-0 deficit in a LCS is difficult, but not impossible. We could still overcome that 2 game deficit with the pitching we have. That being said, Buehrle needs to be on his game tommorrow.

I think he will be. I'm not concerned about Sox pitching, except for perhaps Garland, who hasn't pitched in almost two weeks.

SABRSox
10-11-2005, 11:20 PM
No worries. The Sox were out-played tonight, and Paul Byrd turned in one of the starts of his career. I agree that if the Sox executed better, the outcome may have been different, but they didn't, and that happens.

The only pitcher on the Halos that looks lights out right now is Shields. Even K-Rod looked like he was pressing. I think the key tomorrow is to get to Washburn early and make the Angels go into that bullpen and tire it out. I'm not sure the Angels have the pitching to go all 7 games of this series.

Not worried at all...

gbergman
sox better win tomorrow if not this series is over saturday plain and simple.

TaylorStSox
One thing that really bothered me were the approaches by Uribe and Konerko in the late innings. Both of them saw a ton of good pitches to hit, especially PK vs. Shields. He got 2 fastballs down the middle and a hanging slider. He pulled of 2 of them. Those are the breaks.

downstairs
:?:

It's not Ozzie's fault that they can't lay down a bunt...you bunt in those situations, they didn't get it done. How are you putting the blame on Ozzie?

Honestly... because we weren't hitting at all after scoring our 2 runs. Bunting only works if you can string together hits and maybe a sac fly.

And Pods can't steal. He just can't. Maybe next year, but not as we speak.

Running AJ was smarter than running Pods.

oeo
I think we'll be OK, but I wouldn't say we played well. Contreras did a great job. He gave his teammates an opportunity. We had opportunities, but we did not execute in key situations.

They didn't play well, but they did have some rockets off the bat...too bad they were right at their outfield.

The reason we lost was obviously that the media is now siding with us...oh and we had another damn 8 game winning streak...those get us every time.

PAPChiSox729

I disagree.
:smile:

sullythered
10-11-2005, 11:21 PM
We weren't gonna win 'em all. Let's go get 'em tomorrow.

infohawk
Hey, that's alright. It wasn't a bad game. Contreras pitched his butt off, the team played good defense and Cotts looked good out of the 'pen. It was a very even game, the Angels just managed to execute one more time in a critical situation then we did. That's playoff baseball.

We knew we weren't going to go undefeated through the playoffs. Byrd is certainly no Cy Young, but he's the kind of soft-tosser that can give us fits and, quite frankly, he pitched very well.

I will say that we should all beware the trap of thinking that somehow we are entitled to win this series because the Angels are tired and without their ideal rotation set-up. It may be an advantage, but they are a very, very good team that can beat you in a variety of ways. I'm certainly hoping we win, but I fear that if we don't, many posts will be written about how the stars were aligned in our favor and the series was practically given to us and the team, or insert your favorite player to bash or Ozzie "blew" it.

Even if the Angels are tired and without Colon, I would have rather played the Yankees for match-up reasons. That said, I hope we win this series and advance to the World Series!!!

JUribe1989
AL Central and ALDS winners, they have proved enough to me already. I'm really proud of what they have done. That being said, Contreras pitches amazing ONCE AGAIN! You have to go back to July to find his last bad start. He has been so consistent. It's just great to see that. Nice HR by Crede. We will go out and get them tomorrow. Because tomorrow night It's Buehrle Time! Byrd pitched great, and we actually got very lucky the wind pushed Vlad's HR back.

We can go out and get them tomorrow. Buehrle vs. Washburn....GREAT MATCHUP! That's gonna be a fun game to watch.

First playoff loss, calm down people.

mrs. hendu
I wouldn't call it a 'must win'. We really should win that one, but coming back from a 2-0 deficit in a LCS is difficult, but not impossible. We could still overcome that 2 game deficit with the pitching we have.

There'd be too much pressure on the team. We'd better win the game tomorrow for confidence purposes and some breathing room. Definitely a must-win game tomorrow.

HotelWhiteSox
How can you blame Ozzie for this. I am waiting for the postgame comments, but I'd bet there were some missed signs on the AJ/Crede situation, and I doubt Ozzie told Jermaine Dye, your #3 hitter, to lead off the 6th with a bunt. Not to mention some iffy defense, one of the worst at bats I've ever seen by Pods, and a real bad one by Rowand. This is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of Ozzie.

Also, no problem with the bunt from here. You'd expect Pods to not **** up a bunt attempt like that (by the way, if he gets it down, Dye's hit ties it), and a stupid approach by Rowand. This team has bunted throughout the past, but they executed, the way the game was going, the hitter would've probably hit into a DP if not trying to bunt and you'd be all over Ozzie for not bunting

Props to Contreras, doesn't deserve a L

1 game, it's a best of 7, let's just hope they can forget about this

RKMeibalane
I disagree.
:smile:

I do, also. After what Boston did last season, there's no doubt in my mind that the real Sox could do the same this year.

oeo
10-11-2005, 11:22 PM

And your reasoning behind this is what?? Doesn't seem so plain and simple to me...tough loss, but I don't think tomorrow decides the series.

TaylorStSox
10-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Honestly... because we weren't hitting at all after scoring our 2 runs. Bunting only works if you can string together hits and maybe a sac fly.

And Pods can't steal. He just can't. Maybe next year, but not as we speak.

Running AJ was smarter than running Pods.

Wow. I know it's the playoffs, but lay off the sauce. Nobody wants to hear melodramatic whining.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2005, 11:23 PM
How can you blame Ozzie for this. I am waiting for the postgame comments, but I'd bet there were some missed signs on the AJ/Crede situation, and I doubt Ozzie told Jermaine Dye, your #3 hitter, to lead off the 6th with a bunt. Not to mention some iffy defense, one of the worst at bats I've ever seen by Pods, and a real bad one by Rowand. This is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of Ozzie.

Also, no problem with the bunt from here. You'd expect Pods to not **** up a bunt attempt like that (by the way, if he gets it down, Dye's hit ties it), and a stupid approach by Rowand. This team has bunted throughout the past, but they executed, the way the game was going, the hitter would've probably hit into a DP if not trying to bunt and you'd be all over Ozzie for not bunting

Props to Contreras, doesn't deserve a L

I agree. This isn't Ozzie's fault. I think he called for the bunt too often, but it's up to the players to execute. The Sox led all of baseball in sacrifice bunts, so they had been doing it properly until tonight. Why it was a problem this evening isn't clear, but it's something that the players need to work on.

FarWestChicago
Wow. I know it's the playoffs, but lay off the sauce. Nobody wants to hear melodramatic whining.Yeah, downstairs really needs to get a grip. Gawd. :rolleyes:

FedEx227
tough loss but hopefully we can come back tomorrow...Mark get his head out of his ass and maybe we can get some execution.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Wow. I know it's the playoffs, but lay off the sauce. Nobody wants to hear melodramatic whining.

I think downstairs has nothing left upstairs.

JB98
crede needed more than a hr to clear up the horrific outing that he had... terrible decision in the third with the double clutch costs us a run...maybe messed up a hit&run(or A.J. was mindboggling) and then strikes out miserably two other times...maybe ozuna tomorrow...someone with a brain

I'm sticking with Crede. Joe made a mistake on that grounder. No question about that. It cost us a run, but he got it back with his bat.

You don't know for certain yet who messed up that play where Pierzynski was thrown out. I doubt Ozzie called for a straight steal. We'll see what remarks are made in the postgame.

I'll be furious if Ozuna starts tomorrow. That's just crazy. The Sox fired Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel for a reason. This starting nine has gotten us this far. Guillen should leave it in their hands, and I'm sure he will.

Jjav829
Anyone who expected a sweep is nuts. The Angels are a damn good team. The whole idea that they would be so tired that they would come in here and get beaten down was over discussed. They played a very good game and we played a crap game. That's all there is to it. Contreras pitched a pretty good game, but Byrd was better. I don't mind the bunting calls. I thought each was the right move.

Must win tomorrow. Let's hope Buehrle leads us to victory.

Ekwall
These are the two best teams in the AL. Today the Angels were better. This series is going to be a dogfight.

A little off topic, but could the Angels pitchers throw to/look off runner on first a little more often? Good Lord, **** like this is the reason the NFL is so popular.

chisoxmike
Ugh.

-Well, look... if it wern't for the botched plays in the infield thay MAY have won the game.

-SOMEONE missed a sign when Crede was up and Pierzynski was at first.

-STOP BUNTING!!!!

Anyway, losing this game isn't the end of the series. Come back and get them tomorrow.

slobes
10-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Pretty good outing by Jose, a shame it was wasted by terrible .
These are the kind of games that the Sox usually win.

downstairs

What's melodramatic?

Pods hasn't been a base stealing threat since his injury. He's been a fine hitter all year, and still is. I like him. But don't send him. The numbers don't lie.

(The AJ thing was a joke...)

The game was poorly managed. My feeling through the game was that we weren't hitting, but if given every single opportunity (i.e. not giving away outs)... we may just squeak out a home run or a few doubles.

TaylorStSox
I find it hard to believe that Ozzie called for a hit and run with Crede at the plate against Shields. Then again, Ozzie does some strange things.

CYGarland20
This game was ripe for the taking and we let it get away. Very disappointing effort on the Offensive and defensive end tonite. Hopefully these guys come out ready to roll tomorrow night, we cannot afford to go down 0-2 heading into Anaheim :o:

antitwins13
Why JD? WHY!?!?

ja1022
10-11-2005, 11:26 PM
If anybody really thought they were going to roll off 11 straight in the post season they were nuts. They lost a game. Get over it. Win the next one.

SABRSox
A little off topic, but could the Angels pitchers throw to/look off runner on first a little more often. Good Lord, **** like this is the reason the NFL is so popular.

Scioscia calls that from the dugout. Blame him...

hsnterprize
It's been said before, but considering all the hype about the Angels being tired after travelling from New York to Anaheim to Chicago, they played just better than the Sox enough to win.

Giving away an intention to bunt to a 3rd baseman with great speed is just not smart. You can give some blame to COntreras for not throwing home on that botched double-play ball, but I don't blame him for this loss. He pitched good enough to win, and the Sox simply didn't execute.

Gotta tip your hat to the Angels for this win. Buehrle HAS TO find his pitches quickly tomorrow night, and the offense has to act like the team that won 99 games during the regular season. Anaheim's a good home team, and being down 0-2 against them isn't something none of us would like to see happen.

P.S. Speaking of "hype", it wouldn't suprise me if the Angels acted like THEY were the underdogs, and said they get no respect considering they were virtually ignored during the last parts of the regular season. They swen up their division early, and it wasn't until they were in the pressure cooker against the Yanks that people started to pay attention to them. And I wonder how many of the the "experts" who were so quick to write the White Sox off are all of a sudden on the South Side bandwagon? There's nothing more motivating for a team than to know no one expects them to do well. It's how the Sox have been all year, and now it could, and I emphasize, COULD be a backdrop for Anaheim's post-season run.

Starting tommorow...another 8-game winning streak!!!!!

chisoxmike

I never bought into any of that ****. These are professional baseball players. The tired/jetlagged crap was stupid.

Jjav829
You don't know for certain yet who messed up that play where Pierzynski was thrown out. I doubt Ozzie called for a straight steal. We'll see what remarks are made in the postgame.

Ozzie already cleared that up. Crede didn't miss anything. Pierzynski either ran on his own or thought a sign was given that wasn't given.

infohawk
Poor execution.... and a bunch of lucky hits early doomed the sox.... it's a damn shame
Exactly. We could be the team getting those hits tommorrow.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Pretty good outing by Jose, a shame it was wasted by terrible .
These are the kind of games that the Sox usually win.

Usually win, but not always. They were bound to lose at least one game before this was over, and now they have. Most people expect this series to go six games. I think it will. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

mike squires
I'll be taking some sleeping pills tonight. Damn, I thought we might get the job done. I don't recall a single time moving the runner along, swiping a base or executing a bunt. You know Ozzie is hunched over in a stall as we type.

jdm2662
Ehh, I had a feeling they'd lose tonight. The factors of the Angels being tired, hottest pitcher in baseball, and riding an eight game losing streak and well rested. It seemed to pretty much guarentee a win tonight. Got to love how baseball works. Oh well. Props to Jose. another fine outing. Too bad two runs crossed the plate when the ball didn't leave the infield. Go get them tommorrow boys.

illinibk
Pods hasn't been a base stealing threat since his injury. He's been a fine hitter all year, and still is. I like him. But don't send him. The numbers don't lie.
I have no problem with him sending Pods there. Pods steals that base if there wasn't a pitchout. If there was any faul of Ozzie, it was guessing wrong on when the Angels would throw the pitch out.

TimoPerez
10-11-2005, 11:28 PM
I thought for sure the Vlad's shot in the 8th was gone, and i thought crede's homerun would have went farther...

My mistake. Contreras gave up two hard hit balls. I, too, thought that Vlad's fly ball was out. In fact, I put my head into my hands, turned around and walked five feet, walked back right in front of the television screen, looked up, saw Podsednik cruising like it was out, and became even more sad. Then the camera moved over to Aaron with his glove in the air. I was quite relieved at that point.

So two balls were hit hard and the rest were not. Once again, great job Jose Contreras.

Go get them tomorrow.

JB98
Ozzie already cleared that up. Crede didn't miss anything. Pierzynski either ran on his own or thought a sign was given that wasn't given.

Thanks for the info. That makes the poster who called for Crede to benched in favor of Ozuna look even more foolish.

chisoxmike

Well, that is one reason why we won 99 games. You better get used to it. Ozzie is signed through 2009.

DenverSock
10-11-2005, 11:29 PM
We played scared ball tonight!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

TaylorStSox
I have no problem with him sending Pods there. Pods steals that base if there wasn't a pitchout. If there was any faul of Ozzie, it was guessing wrong on when the Angels would throw the pitch out.

Pods was going on his own. It was just good timing by the Angels. I'm going to give credit where it's due.

Jjav829
There'd be too much pressure on the team. We'd better win the game tomorrow for confidence purposes and some breathing room. Definitely a must-win game tomorrow.

Agree. Tomorrow is definitely a must win. If we lose tomorrow we head out to the West Coast and face their best pitcher down 0-2. That's a horrible situation to be in. As I've said in the past, I feel game 2 is always the most important game in a series.

WagMan
If anybody really thought they were going to roll off 11 straight in the post season they were nuts. They lost a game. Get over it. Win the next one.

Amen!

Ventura Fan 23
In the 1991 finals the bulls lost the first game, and then went on to win the next 4. I'm not worried.

FarWestChicago
We played scared ball tonight!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:No, you are scared, the Sox aren't.

ChiSox62-
10-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Its better to lose the first game of the series than the last!

Look, we didnt get killed...we beat ourselves.

Go Sox!

infohawk
Like we haven't been bunting all year. This is our M.O. Nothing was exposed tonight. The players didn't get it done. It's that simple. Tomorrow's a new day.

Scott Shields seems like a tough guy to bunt against. Podsednik is actually one of the players I feel pretty confident about in a bunt situation. Even so, he couldn't hit one even close to being fair against Shields.

RKMeibalane
We played scared ball tonight!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Oh, for the love of gawd! Get a grip!

I'm beginning to understand why 'West hates the Dark Clouds and depressoids so much. They really take the fun out of being here.

mrs. hendu
I never bought into any of the ****. These are professional baseball players. The tired/jetlagged crap was stupid.

You're right... The media have to talk about something and make a story out of nothing.

DenverSock

Of course you're right, but right now all the dark clouds are over me!:whiner:

ndu3t4
I'm not gonna criticize Ozzie for the bunts, because had he had them swinging and they hit into a DP we would all be saying "why didn't he have them bunt!?"

Scotty proved tonight why he is this team's wildcard, his job is to get the bunt down and steal the base, he failed miserably at both those tasks tonight and both could have put the tying rum into scoring position.

I wish Pauly would have gotten the big hit, but I don't think it should have ever come to that. Two runs off ****'in Paul Bird? That's inexscusable.

Now that all of that's off my chest, there's a reason that these series are best of seven, so that the best team in the league is not determined by one game. We've got the pitching and our bullpen is in good shape. Let's go get 'em tomorrow.

DC Sox Fan
10-11-2005, 11:31 PM
It was weird- I had a bad feeling before all the games last series, but was fairly confident going into this one. That will teach me to have faith.

Can't add anything that hasn't already been said- catch a break here or there and it's a different game. I have a feeling this is going to be a dogfight of a series, and I'm looking forward to watching it all unfold.

I couldn't agree more with how obnoxious the now-pattented LAAAAAAA "lazy-man's pick-off move" is.

JB98

Isn't Scott on his own in determining when to run? I don't think he even takes signs from Ozzie. He just goes when he thinks he can get a jump.

I have no problem with Pods going there either, and it certainly isn't Ozzie's fault that he was thrown out, if indeed Scott is on his own.

TaylorStSox
I'm proud of everyone tonight. The only 2 irrational outbursts we've had were from Downstairs and a n00b. Good job Sox fans. :redneck

CYGarland20
I never bought into any of that ****. These are professional baseball players. The tired/jetlagged crap was stupid. Either way, we should have won this ball game. We blew it.

ElevenUp
10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Not a good game by anyone. Ozzie was outmanaged by Soscia, and everyone looked tight out there tonite. Hopefully Buerlhe acn shut them down tomorrow and everyone will loosen up. Given the Angels starting pitching situation, if we win tomorrow, we should be okay for the series.

shoota II
10-11-2005, 11:32 PM

Good point. A great defense does more than just avoid making errors. A great defense doesn't give away outs and bases. Crede didn't make an easy out at first, I think because he didn't realize that a fast runner was batting. That's inexcusable. Though his double clutch before throwing to first might have been the difference between an out and a free base on the run scoring play.

I strongly disagree about starting Ozuna over Crede. That just can't be done. Crede is hitting .250 in the playoffs and will hit another home run before this series is over. Also, Ozuna is very valuable coming off the bench to pinch run late in a game.

Tadahito should have turned the double play when he was hit hard at second. If not turn the double play, then he can't Knoblach the ball over Konerko's head. Though I can't figure out why the runner didn't advance to second base. Didn't the ball reach the stands?

Both of these plays weren't recorded as errors, so the Sox defense saves face in the statbook, but a truly great defense doesn't make these mistakes.

FedEx227
10-11-2005, 11:33 PM
In the 1991 finals the bulls lost the first game, and then went on to win the next 4. I'm not worried.

Well it sure helped to have arguably the greatest player in NBA history...

we have...Paul Konerko.

PAPChiSox729
Not a good game by anyone. Ozzie was outmanaged by Soscia, and everyone looked tight out there tonite. Hopefully Buerlhe acn shut them down tomorrow and everyone will loosen up. Given the Angels starting pitching situation, if we win tomorrow, we should be okay for the series.

Jose and Cotts did pretty well.

RKMeibalane
No, you are scared, the Sox aren't.

DenverSock is accusing everyone else of being a Dark Cloud.

Jjav829

Go Sox!

Good teams make you beat yourself. The Angels are a good team. You have to give them credit for making good pitches and keeping us from executing. They were just the better team tonight. Now we just have to turn around and be the better team tomorrow.

RKMeibalane

we have...Paul Konerko.

:rolling:

greenpeach
10-11-2005, 11:34 PM
yes they did, so why the teal?

i still somehow feel confident. We gave them outs, played pathetic and yet we still only lost by one. If Buehrle is on early tomorrow, we should even up the series.

I was poking fun at the posters who are so distressed about this loss. Game one doesn't mean much. Game two means everything. I think the Sox win big tomorrow night.

CaptainBallz

Go Sox!

SEPATOWN!

oh sorry--I never thought I'd be this relaxed after a loss tonight, but what you just said is why.

PAPChiSox729

we have...Paul Konerko.

And your point is?

Jjav829
10-11-2005, 11:35 PM

we have...Paul Konerko.

So you're saying we need Michael Jordan to win this series? :redneck

kitekrazy
Agree. Tomorrow is definitely a must win. If we lose tomorrow we head out to the West Coast and face their best pitcher down 0-2. That's a horrible situation to be in. As I've said in the past, I feel game 2 is always the most important game in a series.

When they go to the West Coast I'm pretty sure the game times won't be at 9 p.m. our time. SO I guess that helps.

ChiSox62-
Good teams make you beat yourself. The Angels are a good team. You have to give them credit for making good pitches and keeping us from executing. They were just the better team tonight. Now we just have to turn around and be the better team tomorrow.

That is very true...but the difference is after the sox beat boston 14-2, you could tell that a statement was made. Boston knew it, we knew it. The angels did not make a statement with this game...they won the game..but we could have won. However, a statement will be made tomorrow night with a sox win!

itsnotrequired
10-11-2005, 11:36 PM
What can you say? Angels executed, Sox did not. Angels stole a couple bases and laid down a succesful bunt. Sox get caught stealing twice and fail on two bunt attempts. Had teh Sox had a bit more success, it would be a whole different ballgame. Sox were "out-Soxed" tonight. Go get them tomorrow.

It is frustrating to lose in this manner. Angels nearly had a "B" squad out there with all the travel and a pitcher on three days rest. Sox should have taken care of business and didn't. Reminds me of the opening game in that final Cleveland series...

hsnterprize
The media have to talk about something and make a story out of nothing.

Did you notice during the pre-game on Fox all the of hype about the supposed "Curse of Shoeless Joe"? It seemed like every time either Jeannie Zelasko or Kevin Kennedy said anything about the Sox' WS drought, one of them, or some pre-made piece made some mention about a curse. My goodness...I almost threw a show at my TV, I was so disgusted.

If Fox wants to talk about things like some of Bill Veeck's silly promotions, the shorts and butterfly collars of the 70's, the "rain room", "Disco Demolition Night", or stuff like that, then fine. But for the voice-over guy to ask, "Will Shoeless Joe finally get his chance for redemption?"...please!!!!! Stop with all the "curse" crap and get on with the game!!!!!!!

RKMeibalane
So you're saying we need Michael Jordan to win this series? :redneck

:KW

"He was a grinder when he played at Birmingham."

duke of dorwood
The game was good experience-its a 7 game series. All will be fine. We just gotta hit that starting pitching hard.

Kogs35
10-11-2005, 11:37 PM

exactly. the angels r on a high right now, they beat the yankees came back and took care of game1. now tomorow after they sleep in a bed not a airplane that they will be tired and look lost .the sox where off for 3 days, luckly its only game1. now they have to take care of business tomorow night.

samram

Yeah, this isn't the Red Sox. These guys do stuff out there that create problems for the opposition no matter who is up at the plate. Plus, their pitchers are capable of getting people out.

For some reason, I feel the Sox will be back tomorrow and hitting well. I'm not sure what to expect from Buehrle, but I think they'll score some runs.

shoota II
I find it hard to believe that Ozzie called for a hit and run with Crede at the plate against Shields. Then again, Ozzie does some strange things.

You think it's more likely that Ozzie called for a straight steal from a man who has 3 attempts on the whole season?

CYGarland20
10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
The game was good experience-its a 7 game series. All will be fine. We just gotta hit that starting pitching hard.Don't forget, we have to face Lackey and Santana in Anaheim.

TaylorStSox
10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
You think it's more likely that Ozzie called for a straight steal from a man who has 3 attempts on the whole season?

No, I think AJ went on his own.

JB98
10-11-2005, 11:39 PM

we have...Paul Konerko.

And what's wrong with Paul Konerko? We also have Mark Buerhle.

There's no reason to have anything but confidence going into tomorrow night's game. We didn't play very well this evening, but we still had chances to win. That encourages me for tomorrow. If our guys tighten up the execution, this series is going to Anaheim 1-1.

samram
I'll also add that the Sox wouldn't be the first team to lose game 1 and then win the ALCS. The Red Sox lost the first three last year and these here Angels lost game 1 in 2002, IIRC.

mrs. hendu
Did you notice during the pre-game on Fox all the of hype about the supposed "Curse of Shoeless Joe"? It seemed like every time either Jeannie Zelasko or Kevin Kennedy said anything about the Sox' WS drought, one of them, or some pre-made piece made some mention about a curse. My goodness...I almost threw a show at my TV, I was so disgusted.

If Fox wants to talk about things like some of Bill Veeck's silly promotions, the shorts and butterfly collars of the 70's, the "rain room", "Disco Demolition Night", or stuff like that, then fine. But for the voice-over guy to ask, "Will Shoeless Joe finally get his chance for redemption?"...please!!!!! Stop with all the "curse" crap and get on with the game!!!!!!!

Agree, it's pathetic. Cubune had the Shoeless Joe story on the cover today, Yahoo had a story about "the Sox trying to reverse the curse". I'm so sick of that crap, were' not the Flubs or Flub Sox!!! :angry:

ChiSox62-
10-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Washburn vs. the sox in '05: 0-1 17.2 IP, 22 h, 8 BB, 12 ER, 8 KLet's Crush Him!!!

Randar68
Can't win games with 2 runs, or getting thrown out on steal attempts.

When your leadoff hitter and <.750 OPS CF'er can't put down effective bunts when asked to do so, you're going to fail to score runs...

How many opportunities to score were handed on a platter to the Sox tonight? 3 or 4? Plus a pitcher on 3 days rest who they barely made throw any pitches... you saw what happenned when he got tired... instead they let him out of the early innings hardly throwing ANY pitches!!! On top of that add 2 crap defensive play with Crede's double-pump and Iguchi air-mailing a ball he could have rolled to Konerko and still gotten Vlad (or Contreras could have nailed him at home)...

UGH!

They player like this was August. Contreras was the only only guy who showed up to play tonight.

greenpeach
In all seriousness, I'd be more concerned if this was a best three-out-of-five series. In a best four-out-of-seven, I think injuries & fatigue will catch up with the Angels provided that we don't beat ourselves. I think we looked a little tight out there tonight & the Angels looked pretty loose.

infohawk
10-11-2005, 11:41 PM
The Sox were totally outplayed in every area. Shaky D, bad execution, bad baserunning.

JD bunting to lead off the 6th in a 1-run game? ***?

I agree with you about the bunting and the baserunning, but I didn't notice any bad defense--certainly nothing that came back to bite us. I'm not considering Jose's decision to try for a double play on the ball hit back to the mound as bad defense. He executed his throw, but in retrospect he should have thrown home since they didn't turn the double play. Too me that was a bang-bang decision that didn't work out as opposed to a fielding problem. I could understand somebody arguing that it was a mental error, however. I'm giving Jose the benefit of the doubt that he believed at the time that he could get the DP. Iguchi's throw over Konerko's head didn't amount to any runs and was the result of aggressive baserunning by the Angels in sliding into Tadahito. The Sox didn't turn a couple of double plays, but that was because the runners beat the throw to first and not because of a misplayed ball. I will say that A.J. left something to be desired with his attempts to throw out runners, but he only throws guys out at a 25% clip anyway.

The real problem was the lack of execution in a couple of situations on offense. The Angels executed the hit and run in the third (I think) and that was the difference in the game.

saltwater farmer
you're not gonna get through the postseason undefeated. We lost a winnable game after a long break. Strap it down and get after 'em tomorrow night.

SOX PRIDE. SHOW IT. LIVE IT.

PAPChiSox729
Agree, it's pathetic. Cubune had the Shoeless Joe story on the cover today, Yahoo had a story about "the Sox trying to reverse the curse". I'm so sick of that crap, were' not the Flubs or Flub Sox!!! :angry:

Well how else is the media supposed to make this series interesting to the casual fan? I don't necessarily like the whole 'curse' angle they are taking with the Sox, but I really can't say I am surprised that they are playing it up that way.

Iguana775
10-11-2005, 11:42 PM

yes, if Pods get the bunt down and uribe scores from 2nd on Dye's base hit. game tied.

CYGarland20
10-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I agree with you about the bunting and the baserunning, but I didn't notice any bad defense--certainly nothing that came back to bite us. I'm not considering Jose's decision to try for a double play on the ball hit back to the mound as bad defense. He executed his throw, but in retrospect he should have thrown home since they didn't turn the double play. Too me that was a bang-bang decision that didn't work out as opposed to a fielding problem. I could understand somebody arguing that it was a mental error, however. I'm giving Jose the benefit of the doubt that he believed at the time that he could get the DP. Iguchi's throw over Konerko's head didn't amount to any runs and was the result of aggressive baserunning by the Angels in sliding into Tadahito. The Sox didn't turn a couple of double plays, but that was because the runners beat the throw to first and not because of a misplayed ball. I will say that A.J. left something to be desired with his attempts to throw out runners, but he only throws guys out at a 25% clip anyway.

The real problem was the lack of execution in a couple of situations on offense. The Angels executed the hit and run in the third (I think) and that was the difference in the game. Crede's indecision to throw home hurt.

mrs. hendu
10-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Well how else is the media supposed to make this series interesting to the casual fan? I don't necessarily like the whole 'curse' angle they are taking with the Sox, but I really can't say I am surprised that they are playing it up that way.

Oh, I'm not surprised either, I just don't like it. Like I said, they need stories so they'll write them.

wassagstdu
10-11-2005, 11:44 PM
These are the two best teams in the AL. Today the Angels were better. This series is going to be a dogfight.
It was a baseball game. The Sox (Uribe, Iguchi, ...) made some great plays but didn't get it done when they had to. The Angels did. The Sox tried to play the way they got here, but couldn't pull it off tonight. They have, more often than not, and they will in this series too. Six more 3-2 games would not surprise me.

Uribe had a GREAT defensive game.

MERPER
Okay, so we lost game one... no biggy... bounce back and get them tomorrow.... buehrle has been very good against them this year and we usually hit washburn pretty well....

get a win tomorrow, then we go on the road where we seem to play better...

Here's an interesting stat: the last 3 teams to win game 1 of the ALCS has gone on to....

LOSE THE SERIES!!! so much for home field advantage

billyvsox
Ok, we have 27 out to use in a ballgame and we GIVE 3 away on wasted bunts and 2 away on the bases stealing (or a missed hit and run). So with 22 outs left it makes too hard to make up. With a couple of exeptions we hit the ball hard off Byrd all night. Why are we giving up outs.

Sometimes I think Ozzie believes all the 'hype' about small ball and tried to out small-ball the Angels to prove we are better, when we should have just lit up Byrd for 5 or 6 runs.

The only thing we really execute well is the hit and run (not bunting or stealing if Pods is hurt). Yet the only hit and run I think was missed by Crede. Rowand in the 9th would have been a perfect hit and run situation because you knew K-rod was going to throw strikes and he hits to right field anyway. If your going to bunt then you HAVE to bring in Timo or Willie to do it and not "hope" that Aaron will get it down.

It's fine to let games get away during a long season, but this is devastating to give one away in the playoffs. Reminds me of game 1 in 2000 against Seattle and game 2 in 1993 against Toronto, not to mention game 4 against Baltimore in 1983.

This now allows the Halos to throw out any pitcher tommorrow with no pressure on them, and allow them to play it fast and loose. Plus we all know how the Sox fare when the pressure is on at Home.

I fear we may get swept away now.

Chips
Thats why we play seven games, they haven't played ball in a while, the Angels were coming off a big win. We still have Buehrle pitching tomorrow and then Garland, Garcia, and Contreras(?) pitching in LA. I wouldn't be all that worried. If we come out making bad throws and hitting like ****, I'd be worried, but MB can shut them down tomorrow. Lets even this up.

greenpeach
yes, if Pods get the bunt down and uribe scores from 2nd on Dye's base hit. game tied.

I was more upset with Pod's gaffe then Aaron's. Your leadoff hitter MUST be able to bunt.

PAPChiSox729
10-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Crede's indecision to throw home hurt.

Jose just fell victim to falling behind when he gave up that bomb to Anderson. He was sitting on that pitch and did not miss it.

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
You know, I had a feeling about this game. Not that I thought they'd lose, but I did feel like with SO many things going against them, it was quite possible that they came out with a great game, plus the Sox after the layoff could (and did) come out flat both defensively and offensively.

IMO, that's what happened. Byrd was good early, but the guys were taking it easy on him, not working the count early, which would IMO have been the thing to do given he was on short rest and was up in the 'pen yesterday. Defensively, the Crede play, the missed DP (or throw home) - not huge mistakes, but plays this team has been making. Yes, there were missed opportunities later in the game, but giving a good team like the Angels a glint of sunshine in a really bad situation can provide them a real boost - and that's what happened.

As noted - this doesn't mean a ton in the grand scheme, but it makes tomorrow an extremely important game. Luckily, you'd hope the adrenaline wears off, the Sox are sharper, and they get the W. Plus, I'll be in attendance, and I'm 1-0 in the postseason - gotta keep my streak alive!

greenpeach
10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Jose just fell victim to falling behind when he gave up that bomb to Anderson. He was sitting on that pitch and did not miss it.

He guessed fastball & belted it out of the park. In the ninth, Crede guessed fastball & got another breaking pitch. He whiffed to end the game. Guys, that's just baseball.

WhiteSox16K
10-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I would've liked to see the guys get off to a better start, but no one ever goes 11-0 in the playoffs. When you give up 5 outs (AJ's steal, Pods' steal, Dye/Rowand/Pods bunts) and have a total of 0 runs resulting from these outs, your in trouble. This was just a poorly executed game by the Sox. Wish they could get this one back, but hey, there's always tommorow. ESPN News also just showed a stat that the last 3 teams to win game 1 of the ALCS (Yankees, Red Sox, and Twins) all lost it in the end. This is BY FAR not the end of hope, nor the end of anything I can think of. Buehrle tommorow - I like our chances.

kitekrazy
10-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I figured it was the Sox turn to lose. You have to go back to last month when they lost a game. You have to go back to Aug. the last time Contreras lost. They can't win forever.

There was poor execution on offense and defense...Oh My....sounds just like a Bears game.

CHISOXFAN13
10-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Don't forget, we have to face Lackey and Santana in Anaheim.

Well hell, why even bother playing then.

The Sox played bad baseball tonight, yet had chances to win the game several times.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm not shaking in my boots after watching this game.

The Sox weren't going to run the table. It sucks they lost tonight, but it's hardly the end of the world.

PAPChiSox729
He guessed fastball & belted it out of the park. In the ninth, Crede guessed fastball & got another breaking pitch. He whiffed to end the game. Guys, that's just baseball.

Yeah, but being in a 2-0 count with Jose is a lot different than being in a 2-2 count with K-Rod.

FarWestChicago
I fear we may get swept away now.Then take your worthless stathead, FOBB ass and get the hell out of here. Please, do us all that favor. :rolleyes:

johnny_mostil
What hurts about this loss is that we had the biggest advantage we'll have this series, and lost.

Same old offense. Suit up #35.

Did Crede miss a hit and run sign in the 7th when A.J. was caught stealing? A.J. was brooding in the dugout longer than normal after being thrown out. He eventually threw down his helmet.

WHAT advantage? Byrd OWNS the White Sox (check his career record). He's now 4-0 in our ballpark in 4 starts. The advantage starts now.

DenverSock
10-11-2005, 11:50 PM
I fear we may get swept away now.

That's a bit much don't you think? After all this team hasn't lost four straight too many times this year. Also, we play very well on the road.

Jjav829
Reason #1 why we will win tomorrow: I'm wearing my Sox Pride shirt. We're 1-0 in Wednesday home playoff games when I wear that shirt.

Of course if we lose I'm burning the shirt and sticking my head in the oven. We better win! :o: :smile:

Hendu

The real problem was the lack of execution in a couple of situations on offense. The Angels executed the hit and run in the third (I think) and that was the difference in the game.

Regarding the shaky D, I was referring more to Crede's indecision that ended up costing us a run. Crede has to know that Cabrera is a fast runner and there's no time for hesitation. If he throws to first to get the out, the grounder to Jose doesn't matter because there would have been 2 outs. Inning over and it's only 2-0.

Flight #24
You know what - this means yet another win streak stopped at 8.....time to start another one boys, 8 more will be just fine!

nasox
I don't blame AJ.
I don't blame Paulie (although, ***, another pop-up? I think we don't resign him)
I don't blame Podsednik
I don't blame Ozzie (although he was clearly outmanaged)
I don't blame Crede, or Rowand, or Uribe
I blame the friggin whole offensive unit of the White Sox who could not, for the sake of god, get to a starter pitching on three days rest, whose velocity was decreasing as the game went on, and had to wait until a great bullpen came in to get something going.

They played well, but we handed them the game.:angry::angry:

BUT, oh well, we'll get em tomorrow. Tough loss, but it is only one loss.

Bum
10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
And 2 of the last 3 teams that lost game #1 of the ALCS on their home field went on to lose the series. And one of the 3 was us in '93.

There's no silver lining when you lose a game where your best pitcher gives you a strong outing. Gotta win tomorrow and make it a best of 5.

Soxfest
10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I agree let get them next game.

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Just got back from the Cell, and I don't have much to say, except the Angels won because they executed, and the Sox sucked donkey gonads. Maybe Ozzie can work on bunting with the entire ****ing team tomorrow.

Also, White Sox fans: stop drinking so ****ing much. You're starting to act like *******s.

PAPChiSox729
10-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Okay, so we lost game one... no biggy... bounce back and get them tomorrow.... buehrle has been very good against them this year and we usually hit washburn pretty well....

get a win tomorrow, then we go on the road where we seem to play better...

Here's an interesting stat: the last 3 teams to win game 1 of the ALCS has gone on to....

LOSE THE SERIES!!! so much for home field advantage

For the most part, past playoff history really doesn't mean much. And besides, anyone who is jumping off ship is a fool. This thing is far from over.

Soxfest
10-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Bunts have been a bugaboo all yr for some in lineup.

mrs. hendu
10-11-2005, 11:54 PM
You know what - this means yet another win streak stopped at 8.....time to start another one boys, 8 more will be just fine!

Finally something that made me smile for a sec tonight. :gulp:

CJLove23
10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
YES! Love the optimistic enthusiastic threads!!! If we know one thing about our Sox, they aren't going down without a fight!

PeteWard
10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Iguchi air-mailing a ball he could have rolled to Konerko and still gotten Vlad (or Contreras could have nailed him at home)...

I disagree completely .

I would guess that 9 out 10 second basemen would have done the same with a runner taking them out as happened to Iguchi. That he was even to able to get a throw off was pretty commendable.

CYGarland20
10-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Regarding the shaky D, I was referring more to Crede's indecision that ended up costing us a run. Crede has to know that Cabrera is a fast runner and there's no time for hesitation. If he throws to first to get the out, the grounder to Jose doesn't matter because there would have been 2 outs. Inning over and it's only 2-0. Exactly. Jose and Crede both made poor decisions there, especially Crede, and it wound up costing us the game. Though at that point I figured we would have scored more than 2 runs off Byrd :(:

johnny_mostil
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
The Sox gift wrapped this one. Terrible ****ing loss and this might be the one that costs them the series. This was the worst fundamentally played game the Sox have had all year.

Oh, come on. They lost 3-2 mostly because the Angels hit a seeing-eye single, a hit-and-run, a bunt, and two Baltimore chops in one inning. Frustrating, yes, but you can't play a game fundamentally that badly and lose 3-2. I am as down as anybody, but sheesh, it isn't like allowing 35-yard TD passes to Trent Dilfer. The Angels got the breaks and needed every one of them to win. I would be more worried if we got killed 7-1.

infohawk
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Crede's indecision to throw home hurt.
Yeah, I guess I'll give you that. That's one of those really tough plays where you have two options in front of you and that one, brief moment of indecisiveness costs the play. I guess I'm being somewhat of an apologist tonight. I can't recall who was running to first, but if the hitter had been slow he would have been out. To credit these Angels, they are a very fast team. It's impressive. We play a similar kind of game, but they are a little better at it because they have more overall team speed than us. I guess we might make up for that with some more power, but those guys are quick!!!

JB98
10-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Well hell, why even bother playing then.

The Sox played bad baseball tonight, yet had chances to win the game several times.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm not shaking in my boots after watching this game.

The Sox weren't going to run the table. It sucks they lost tonight, but it's hardly the end of the world.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not shaking in my boots. In fact, my co-workers just complimented me for my unusually calm reaction to the loss tonight.
:cool:

infohawk
10-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm with you CHISOXFAN13!

TheOldRoman
10-11-2005, 11:59 PM
On top of that add 2 crap defensive play with Crede's double-pump and Iguchi air-mailing a ball he could have rolled to Konerko and still gotten Vlad (or Contreras could have nailed him at home)...
Iguchi's throw was a tough play because of Cabrera sliding in. He caused the errant throw. Besides that, I dont remember who the batter was, but I dont think the throw would have gotten him anways. The ball was just hit too slow, and Contreras should have thrown home.

DenverSock
10-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Get them tomorrow. It wasn't a blow out. We barely lost. I heard a rumor, you have to win four times to advance. It could be true.

CYGarland20
If it makes you feel any better, I'm not shaking in my boots. In fact, my co-workers just complimented me for my unusually calm reaction to the loss tonight.
:cool:I'm not shaking in my boots yet either. But tonite's game was SO there for us to take. It's just so frustrating we couldn't pull it out

infohawk
Regarding the shaky D, I was referring more to Crede's indecision that ended up costing us a run. Crede has to know that Cabrera is a fast runner and there's no time for hesitation. If he throws to first to get the out, the grounder to Jose doesn't matter because there would have been 2 outs. Inning over and it's only 2-0.
I had forgotten about that one. On that I will agree. Too bad that hit-and-run worked out for the Angels. That was really the difference in the game in that it placed a lot of pressure on the Sox and set up those two runs.

kitekrazy
10-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I don't blame AJ.
I don't blame Paulie (although, ***, another pop-up? I think we don't resign him)
I don't blame Podsednik
I don't blame Ozzie (although he was clearly outmanaged)
I don't blame Crede, or Rowand, or Uribe
I blame the friggin whole offensive unit of the White Sox who could not, for the sake of god, get to a starter pitching on three days rest, whose velocity was decreasing as the game went on, and had to wait until a great bullpen came in to get something going.

They played well, but we handed them the game.:angry::angry:

BUT, oh well, we'll get em tomorrow. Tough loss, but it is only one loss.

Sure, let's not sign Konerko for hitting a pop up an 10/11/2005. Write it down Kenny.
How was Ozzie outmanaged? His players didn't execute.

seanpmurphy
Don't worry guys, the way Fox was calling the game we were beaten by the gods of baseball themselves. It's like everyone on that team is a hero of some sort. *****.

Domeshot17
you know, it really appeared most of the players figured the same thing most of this board did, angels win a tight game at midnight our time, no colon, late game, EASSSSYYYY WINNNNN. Well Boys, When we dont make the plays, and we play laxed, this is what happens. We blow a GREAT effort from our starting pitcher. The only hitter that looked to give any heart this game was AJ. Podsednik gettin thrown out, horrid bunting, then watching strike 3. You know Paulie hit a few hard, popped up a big at bat, but I really dont hold him accountable. You cant give your clean up hitter 1 chance to drive in runs on a night the wind was howling in as the game went on. Dye was pathetic, wow.

I told my g/f this game made me sick, and I still feel that way. If we got beat, I can live with it, not happy, but live with it. But we gave up 2 runs that shouldnt have scored ( Crede, and Tadahito pooping his pants on the wild throw). Atleast Crede Redeemed himself a little with his home run.

But Pods, wow, we pay you to do 2 things better than anyone, steal bases and bunt. And if you cant do either, get someone in their that can. This is the ALCS, AND WE DO NOT HAVE TIME TO LAY DOWN AND EXPECT TO WIN, BOSTON DID THAT, AND NOW THEY ARE WATCHING IT AT A SPORTS BAR, UNLESS YOU WANT THE SAME FOR THE WORLD SERIES, GET THE ACTS TOGETHER FOR GAME 2, BECAUSE ANAHEIM IS NOT GOING TO ROLL OVER FOR US.

hsnterprize
10-12-2005, 12:04 AM
YES! Love the optimistic enthusiastic threads!!! If we know one thing about our Sox, they aren't going down without a fight!

:threadrules:
That's right...this team knows how to fight back after a tough loss. Besides...another 8 game winning streak would be very nice right now anyway.

JB98
I'm not shaking in my boots yet either. But tonite's game was SO there for us to take. It's just so frustrating we couldn't pull it out

What people need to understand is, we never had the lead. It really wasn't our game to win. We were climbing uphill all night, and we just couldn't get over the top. I tend to take losses harder when we let a lead get away. Obviously, that wasn't the case tonight.

MRKARNO

This is a good characterization. Honestly, I was not impressed with Byrd, but the fact is that he let the White Sox hitters get themselves out. They clearly went in to the game with no clue about how to approach Byrd. You really can't look at much else this game. You're not going to win very often if you can only get 2 runs off a pitcher on 3 days rest and a weary bullpen. Contreras did his job and even though the defense fell asleep in that third, himself included, that really should not have been an issue. It was pathetic hitting the entire game that did the White Sox in.

That being said, a game one loss in a 7 game series, even at home, is far from the end of the world. Game two is a must-win tomorrow though. Buehrle at home vs a recovering Jarrod Washburn? The White Sox cannot lose with Contreras and Buehrle at home and expect to win this series. Let's hope the offense finds their groove tomorrow because that's going to be the key.

CHISOXFAN13
10-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Iguchi's throw was a tough play because of Cabrera sliding in. He caused the errant throw. Besides that, I dont remember who the batter was, but I dont think the throw would have gotten him anways. The ball was just hit too slow, and Contreras should have thrown home.

I don't think Cabrera made contact with Iguchi until after he released the throw. He could have made a more accurate throw, IMO.

FielderJones
10-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Jeez!

Somehow I knew that the propellerheads and FOBBs and the Dark Clouds would all make appearances in this thread. Really pathetic to see that.

This game hinged on some execution problems and some lucky hits that went the Angels' way. That's it. When it was all said and done the Sox lost by 1. BFD.

The Pods bunt was the right call. Obviously he showed some rust and didn't get the job done. Oh well. Tomorrow's another day.

The JD bunt and the AJ steal were just weird. Played with my head probably more than the Angels. If either of them work then the player is a genius.

Aaron can successfully bunt, but his execution has been spotty. I do hate how he tips the bunt. There's always plenty of time to slide the hand to the barrel of the bat during the pitcher's motion. I wish he'd work on that.

This team has won with bunting and stealing and will continue to do so. Pods was barely out on a pitch-out. He's probably going to have to take Molina deeper into the count than trying to steal on the first pitch, but I think his speed is enough to get the job done.

I think after all the excitement the Angels are going to be completely flat in game 2. Look for a 7-1 Sox victory.

kitekrazy
10-12-2005, 12:08 AM
I wonder if Pods gives away when he is going to steal?

PeteWard
My God, when did the imates take over the WSI aylum with all this talk of sweeps and Ozzie being outmanaged?

So there were some screw-ups, especially bunting. It happens. Could they have won this game? Sure. But I am confident in MB and think the hitters will smack Washburn around. They just needed to get their timing back. Then it's 1-1 going to LA. No problem.

The only thing to get upset about maybe was Uribe's nutty casual lapse on the basepaths, which did not cost us.

Tomorrow Sox win 7-3.

seanpmurphy
I think after all the excitement the Angels are going to be completely flat in game 2. Look for a 7-1 Sox victory.

Anything less and I'm egging your house!!! :D::tongue:

ChiSox14305635
10-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Were the Sox playing the Little Sisters of the Poor tonight?

This is the exact reason why I've tried to avoid ESPN and the rest of the media giving their "input". That garbage about the Angels being "tired" and this game should be a gimme for the Sox. That team didn't almost 95 games because they're a charming bunch. There was some fundamental miscues that helped the Halos win, but last time I checked, this is a best of 7 series, not best of 1. Watching the postgame coverage and reading some of these posts is like watching a chicken with its head cut off.

Go get 'em tomorrow, and bring home a White Sox winner!

seanpmurphy
10-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Dammit guys. That one kid was right. We should have made that Shingo-D.Lee trade way back in the day when we had the chance!!!

Just trying to lighten up the mood around here.:smile:

CYGarland20
10-12-2005, 12:13 AM
What people need to understand is, we never had the lead. It really wasn't our game to win. We were climbing uphill all night, and we just couldn't get over the top. I tend to take losses harder when we let a lead get away. Obviously, that wasn't the case tonight.IMO, We should have won tonite and we didn't... I will let this game go for now, and hope we can pull out the W tomorrow. :cool:

Shammy Hater
10-12-2005, 12:15 AM
i sense a bounce back tommorow. we'll twist a few and come up with some key hits, **** we didn't get tonight.

SoxSpeed22
10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
If this helps, the last 3 teams to lose game 1 of the ALCS went on to win the series.
2004- Boston
2003- New York
2002- Anaheim

EDIT: Also, the last time LA/Anaheim/California won a game one, they lost the series (1986).

Viva Medias B's
10-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh, well. We were bound to lose a playoff game sometime. Let's just get 'em tomorrow. No need to worry.

DenverSock
10-12-2005, 12:20 AM
2003- New York
They didn't, however, win the World Series.

PeteWard
10-12-2005, 12:20 AM
If this helps, the last 3 teams to lose game 1 of the ALCS went on to win the series.
2004- Boston
2003- New York
2002- Anaheim

Yes and I hope it helps those who are talking sweep.

seanpmurphy
10-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22
2003- New York

They didn't, however, win the World Series.

The Marlins did, who were in the hole 3-1. :wink: in their LCS

brewcrew/chisox
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry but there is no way Ozzie should be bunting Rowand. You are at home and you are playing for the win not the tie. Why keep giving the Angels outs? The Sox are the home team; they are the agressers here; not the Angels. This was one of the more poorly managed games this year IMO. OH, and can someone explain to me what happened with AJ and that damn steal. Was there a missed sign there? Ok, before I go off I'll just say what I thought were key plays of the game

ALJ getting caught stealing\
Dye bunting ( :?: )
Rowand trying to bunt in the 8th...no way.

Earl Weaver would <overused puke tag>

Nice job by both JC's by the way

halfpricemonday
10-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Oh, well. We were bound to lose a playoff game sometime. Let's just get 'em tomorrow. No need to worry.

Well, I must admit I'm a bit worried about the prospect of going down 0-2 on the way to Anaheim, but I keep on telling myself we're going to execute much better tomorrow with Buehrle on the mound. It seems like the defense is much more reliable with a fast-worker like Buehrle, plus we always seem to give Mark a good amount of run support. Hopefully we get the Buehrle that pitched the late innings of Game 2 of the ALDS and not the shaky Mark that started the game off.

Let's go to Anaheim 1-1 and take 2 out of 3 there. We wanted to clinch at Sox Park anyway.

TDog
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the long postgame thread, which I haven't read, just getting home from work and having missed the game, but the Sox were on an 8-game winning streak. They always lose the ninth game, I guess, because they have no killer instinct. But they have had a few eight game winning streaks.

One more eight game winning streak is all I ask for.

Edit:

(Sorry, hsnterprize, I should have read your post more carefully.)

shoota II
They just needed to get their timing back. Then it's 1-1 going to LA. No problem.

I disagree. I can still see the big picture of one loss in a 7-game series, but I'm not okay losing a game in the series in which we had the best chance at a win. We had our best pitcher going tonight against one of Anaheim's worse pitchers who was on short rest. Our team was well rested and had home field advantage. Anaheim played the night before, had to travel over two time zones and weren't able to prepare much for the Sox.

That said, I realize that the Sox have the ability to win the next 4 games and end this series in Anaheim.

I also disagree with your statement of a 1-1 series tie being "no problem." The Sox face Anaheim's best pitcher in game 3, Lackey, and counter that with a guy who last pitched October 1. Because of the pitching matchup and the home field advantage, I think the Angels have the better odds of winning that game.

If the Sox lose game 3, they'll have to win 3 of the next 4. That's tough and that's why I greatly wanted to win tonight.

DumpJerry
10-12-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm not worried. We were due to lose one. It was unrealistic to expect them to sweep all the way throught the whole post season, after all, we're playing the best MLB has to offer.

I think tonght was the result of slight rust from the layoff and the Angels playing on the momentum of the last few days. We played flawless ball against Boston and we'll do it tomorrow against the Angels. Tomorrow, we'll get our edge back and get 'em!
Now, if we start another 8 game winning streak, it's Grant Park time!

brewcrew/chisox
10-12-2005, 12:34 AM
I had forgotten about that one. On that I will agree. Too bad that hit-and-run worked out for the Angels. That was really the difference in the game in that it placed a lot of pressure on the Sox and set up those two runs.

Yeah, I forgot about that one too. The other crappy play was both pitch outs. They pitch out against Pods=out, we Pitch out=stolen base.

oeo
10-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I wonder if Pods gives away when he is going to steal?

That's interesting...and it could be a possibility, the pitch outs are coming at the right time, it seems all the time. What do the rest of you think about it?

elrod
10-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Pods doesn't get the bunt down, and Dye's hit doesn't get the run in. Contreras doesn't throw home and the 3rd run scored. Should have been 3-2 us. Mental errors and poor execution killed us.

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 12:36 AM
I kept hoping Jose not throwing home on that one play for the Angels' 3rd run wouldn't come back to haunt us...:angry:

That's on Crede for not seeing the play in front of him. He gets the out at first, the botched DP never comes into question.

Dye's bunt says it all for tonight.

And whoever complained about the crowd... we did our part. It was loud and all we needed was one big hit and it would have erupted. Of course, don't count on PK to get it late. Another lazy pop up. :angry:

FarWestChicago
10-12-2005, 12:36 AM
I can still see the big picture of one loss in a 7-game series...Actually, it's quite obvious you can't. :rolleyes:

oeo
10-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Pods doesn't get the bunt down, and Dye's hit doesn't get the run in. Contreras doesn't throw home and the 3rd run scored. Should have been 3-2 us. Mental errors and poor execution killed us.

If Pods does get the bunt down...do we know it's going to be a sacrifice, or will end up with the same result as Aaron's in the ninth? Figgins was charging that ball hard, and I really don't think there was a possibility to get the bunt down.

getonbckthr
10-12-2005, 12:38 AM
we have to win tommorow and 2 of 3 in anaheim, i dont like our chances coming home down 3-2

brewcrew/chisox
10-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Dye's bunt says it all for tonight

And whoever complained about the crowd... we did our part. It was loud and all we needed was one big hit and it would have erupted. Of course, don't count on PK to get it late. Another lazy pop up. :angry:

My sentiments exactly. I was at the game too. We were all just waiting for something....I still am

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 12:41 AM
My sentiments exactly. I was at the game too. We were all just waiting for something....I still am

We'll get our chance tomorrow. I'm not worried... we were bound to be rusty and these bunts won't get a chance to kill us again. They're still on a high from beating NYY and it's not like a late game followed by a 3 hour plane ride phases these guys... they do it all season.

shoota II
10-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Actually, it's quite obvious you can't. :rolleyes:

Hear me out. If the Sox had gone up 2-0 in this series as I wanted, they could afford to play with the casino's money in a game where they were outmatched (game 3). And if you play with nothing to lose, you might just win. You know, like Anaheim did tonight. :wink:

My point is, I think tonight's loss when we were the favorites makes us have to win a game when we're the underdogs (game 3: Lackey v Garland).

Shoeless Joe
10-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Today's loss = Lot's of $$$ wasted for me at the game.

This loss is quite simple to explain: No execution at critical times and you will lose. Contreras pitched a great game though, although that Vlad-almost-HR-flyball nearly gave me a heart attack. Both these teams are so evenly matched it's kind of eerie. Let's hope we can get the win tomorrow for sure and steal a game or two on the road.

Go Sox.

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 12:43 AM

Sez the almighty with a whopping 16 posts to his credit! :rolleyes:

BRDSR
10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
That's on Crede for not seeing the play in front of him. He gets the out at first, the botched DP never comes into question.

Crede's play wasn't good, but Contreras' was worse. Crede's play at the plate would have been really close, and I'm not at all sure it would have gone the Sox' way. Contreras' play at the plate was not going to be anywhere near close. Angels runner was out by a mile. And the double play he tried to turn would have been a miracle even if Iguchi hadn't gotten run over. Of course, both players made positive impacts in the game at later times, so I won't get too angry with either.

The Sox weren't going to win the series 4-0, probably not even 4-1. This is just one of the two losses that they were going to suffer. Too bad its the first game, but no big deal. In regards to whether its a must win tomorrow...yes. Must win tomorrow. I'll be there, and the White Sox are 2-0 alltime in playoff games that I'm at, so I'm feeling pretty confident. Go Sox!

daveeym
10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Alright since I was at the game there's some things I'd like to comment on and some answeres I'd like to get.

1. What's the deal with the yellow sleeves on Ozzie's and Sciosia's jackets? I'm guessing they mentioned it during the broadcast.

2. What was the crowd noise like in the lower level? This was my first game in an upper deck corner seat and it was much quieter up there. The crowd was very into it so I assume it was more to do with seat location. Made me wish I had lower level seats.

3. :angry: Kinda pissed me off that about 1/2 the crowd booed Marte during the introductions.

4. Great job by Contreras and he got an awesome ovation in the 9th.

5. Again possibly due to location the game seemed rather boring. Was it the same on tv? The Sox looked very flat and I was very afraid of that with the 3 day layoff. They were not sharp at all tonight. I think they'll come out like gangbusters tomorrow.

Everyone please add their thoughts and insight.

popilius
10-12-2005, 12:48 AM
From the stands, it looked like the Sox were very tight tonight, I think that's true from what I've been hearing. Let's hope the Sox can stay relaxed for tomorrow's game, because that's when they play their best. I like our chances in a 7-game series.

GO SOX!!!

spiffie
10-12-2005, 12:48 AM
After being at the park for that nightmare, I have only two things to say, otherwise I'll rant for hours:

1. Thank goodness for last year's ALCS. Now, no one can ever point to any one loss except for an actual elimination as the loss that ends a series. Even if we lose games 2 and 3, we can still say there's nothing to worry about, since the Red Sox won 4 straight the year before. Helps keep the head level like that.

2. Whomever the **** it was that threw back Anderson's HR ball should have been thrown out by security, given the phone book treatment, and dropped back off to be hit with a wrecking ball in the demolition of their beloved Urinal. Dumb ****er.

johnny bench
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
What was Tim Raines doing on the overthrow at first base? It looked to me like he had to jump out of the way of the throw and was facing away from Uribe looking at the ball when he should have been telling Uribe what to do. As a result Uribe had to make the decision to stay at first base on his own.

Comment from anyone who watched the game on TV? Was staying at first the right decision? Was Raines out of position?

FarWestChicago
From the stands, it looked like the Sox were very tight tonight, I think that's true from what I've been hearing.I hope you're not referring the the crap you've read in this thread. :o:

Skippy
I knew this would be a good series. Every game may very well be tightly contested with one or two mistakes costing a game.

Hopefully tommorrow goes the White Sox's way.

JB98
10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Hear me out. If the Sox had gone up 2-0 in this series as I wanted, they could afford to play with the casino's money in a game where they were outmatched (game 3). And if you play with nothing to lose, you might just win. You know, like Anaheim did tonight. :wink:

My point is, I think tonight's loss when we were the favorites makes us have to win a game when we're the underdogs (game 3: Lackey v Garland).

We're the underdogs in Game 3? Since when the hell did John Lackey become Cy Young? And when did Jon Garland become Humpty Dumpty? That matchup doesn't concern me.

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Crede's play wasn't good, but Contreras' was worse. Crede's play at the plate would have been really close, and I'm not at all sure it would have gone the Sox' way. Contreras' play at the plate was not going to be anywhere near close. Angels runner was out by a mile. And the double play he tried to turn would have been a miracle even if Iguchi hadn't gotten run over.

You gotta think AJ was yelling at him to go to second as the catcher usually calls the play in that situation. They should have turned it. Otherwise you have runners on 1st and 2nd with Anderson up.

BeviBall!
10-12-2005, 12:51 AM
2. Whomever the **** it was that threw back Anderson's HR ball should have been thrown out by security, given the phone book treatment, and dropped back off to be hit with a wrecking ball in the demolition of their beloved Urinal. Dumb ****er.

This has been happening for the past few years... it sucks.

popilius
10-12-2005, 12:52 AM
3. :angry: Kinda pissed me off that about 1/2 the crowd booed Marte during the introductions.

I agree with you. . . I wasn't 'pissed,' I'm just confused. I mean, like it or not, Marte is part of this team right now.

If Marte comes in the game during a tight situation, and the crowd starts booing, it could really hurt his performance. I'd hate to see the booing of our own crowd blow a game or even blow the series!

We need whoever's in to perform at their best, and when people boo, they just don't. That's why I'm confused. . . do Sox fans want Marte to fail? :?: It's already been talked about on this board, but I just bring it up because of Marte's reception before the game tonight.

DenverSock
10-12-2005, 12:54 AM
1. Thank goodness for last year's ALCS. Now, no one can ever point to any one loss except for an actual elimination as the loss that ends a series. Even if we lose games 2 and 3, we can still say there's nothing to worry about, since the Red Sox won 4 straight the year before. Helps keep the head level like that.

Yeah like that's going to happen again. Sorry, but I think last year's ALCS was a once in alifetime event. On the other hand I'm not looking for any sweeps either, never was.

popilius
10-12-2005, 12:56 AM
I hope you're not referring the the crap you've read in this thread. :o:

No, what I meant is that since I was at the game, it was hard to tell from the stands, and I haven't yet looked at TV footage.

Anyway, let's get'm tomorrow night. :gulp:

PeteWard
10-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Alright since I was at the game there's some things I'd like to comment on and some answeres I'd like to get.

1. What's the deal with the yellow sleeves on Ozzie's and Sciosia's jackets? I'm guessing they mentioned it during the broadcast. MLB Marketing

2. What was the crowd noise like in the lower level? This was my first game in an upper deck corner seat and it was much quieter up there. The crowd was very into it so I assume it was more to do with seat location. Made me wish I had lower level seats. Seemed a bit dead on TV but it's hard to tell from TV

3. :angry: Kinda pissed me off that about 1/2 the crowd booed Marte during the introductions. I would not have booed, but I cringed when I saw him.

4. Great job by Contreras and he got an awesome ovation in the 9th. Yes and he deserved a W. (I thought Vlad's track out was way gone).

5. Again possibly due to location the game seemed rather boring. Was it the same on tv? The Sox looked very flat and I was very afraid of that with the 3 day layoff. They were not sharp at all tonight. I think they'll come out like gangbusters tomorrow. It was a very dull game. They will hit Washburn, I think

Everyone please add their thoughts and insight. ...

johnny bench
10-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Plus a pitcher on 3 days rest who they barely made throw any pitches... you saw what happenned when he got tired... instead they let him out of the early innings hardly throwing ANY pitches!!!

Amen.

This guy was there to be had and our hitters left him off the hook. His pitch count was nothing because we we swinging at the first flippin pitch. Work the count. Foul pitches off. Basic stuff that we seemingly forgot because of the layoff. Don't forget tomorrow.

oeo
10-12-2005, 01:05 AM
1. What's the deal with the yellow sleeves on Ozzie's and Sciosia's jackets? I'm guessing they mentioned it during the broadcast.

Sciosia wasn't wearing one...there were a few guys on the Angels wearing them though. They're like letterman's jackets...it's more of a creme/tan color than yellow. I thought it looked real dumb on the Sox one, but it was pretty cool on the Angels' version.

BNLSox
10-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Tonight hurt because a lack of execution and a few rolls of the dice really killed the team. I wanted to crush them while they were down, but truth is they still have a major uphill battle with a very depleated starting rotation. We still have the same task, win 4 games. Hopefully so none of us go jumping off our balconies the next two are victories and we go into the final four games of this series needing a split.

I like all of our matchups and I think we just need to relax and feel like we've got nothing to lose again. The media put a mountain of pressure on this team with all of the world series talk after sweeping away Boston. The team needs to shut out the rest of the world and just go out and have fun. This team's success depends on the boys just going out and being themselves.

Ozzie, please don't press so much. Let a few things happen here and there. Don't ask people to do things they aren't comfortable with.

Infield, decide where you're going with the ball in certain situations. This has been hurting us all post season. We need to know if we are going to conceed runs or take it to the plate. If that means calling the infield into the mound before an at-bat, take the time and do it.

Batters. Be patient guys. You're great hitters and I feel that sometimes you're just simply trying too hard. The Angels are tired and we will not be facing great starting pitching. Is it as easy as the Red Sox... no... But we aren't here for smooth sailing. Just be patient, take pitches, think, think, think, AND HAVE FUN.

Lets all have fun... We may not be here for another 12 years or more.

Win or Lose, lets go down with the ship cheering all the way!

Foulke You
10-12-2005, 01:14 AM
This was a tough loss because I thought for the first time in a while, we beat ourselves. Too many failed bunts, bad defensive decisions, and caught stealings. Tomorrow is a new day. I said it at the beginning of the series and I'll say it now, with the type of baseball both of these teams play, get ready for a Game 7 tilt at Comiskey to decide the AL Pennant. I think this one is going the distance.

As predicted, the cold October air in Chicago has made our ballpark play large again. If that was last week when it was 80 degrees, the ball that Vlad hit would have been a homer, and Crede's would've been in the 15th row. Dye might've also had a homer to right field earlier in the game which ended up crapping out at the track.

Foulke You
10-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Amen.

This guy was there to be had and our hitters left him off the hook. His pitch count was nothing because we we swinging at the first flippin pitch. Work the count. Foul pitches off. Basic stuff that we seemingly forgot because of the layoff. Don't forget tomorrow.
I thought the Sox looked like they were pressing and very nervous in the first few innings. They settled down later but the damage was done early. Remember, this is the first time in the ALCS for a lot of these guys. They'll have more poise tomorrow. I feel good about our chances.

shoota II
10-12-2005, 01:20 AM
We're the underdogs in Game 3? Since when the hell did John Lackey become Cy Young? And when did Jon Garland become Humpty Dumpty? That matchup doesn't concern me.

I never called John Lackey "Cy Young," and I never called Jon Garland "Humpty Dumpty."

On paper, Lackey and Garland are both pretty equal pitchers: Lackey (14-5, 3.44, 209 IP; Garland (18-10, 3.50, 221 IP). Both give up about a hit an inning, but Lackey strikes out and walks more.

Why I believe such a close pitching matchup makes the Sox underdogs is because:

* Lackey has postseason and World Series experience
* Garland will be making his postseason debut
* Lackey is on a regular rotation and will be pitching on normal rest
* Garland hasn't pitched since October 1 and will be pitching on 12 days' rest
* The Angels have home field advantage

I'm not saying this is a guaranteed Angels victory, but this appears to me to be their best chance of victory this series. It would have been nice to play it with a 2-0 series lead.

Domeshot17
10-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Another thing I noticed today that I didnt mention in my rant of realizing where we are, we failed to adjust completely, on all the bunts, Figgins was almost at the mound, erstad holding MAKE THE ADJUSTMENT AND PUT IT DOWN THE FIRST BASE LINE, you know the thing you take for granted in BP, before you get to take your home run cuts and let ozzie bat, when you have to put 2 down 3b and 2 down first, YAHHHH that, try that next time, thats the difference between a 3-2 loss and a tie game boys

And, For anyone who thinks Contreras should have went home and cut off the run, Anderson in the AB before hit a home run, the ball was a tailor made 1-4-3 DP, and Tada got scared and blew it. If you got a chance to end the inning almost for sure, or stop a run but pitch to the blazing hot clean up hitter with 2 on, shouldnt be a choice. I love Tadahito, but that was all him, not Contreras, if he makes the throw, Vlads out by 2 steps, he adjusted to the ball horribly, was flat footed, and got scared of being taken out at second. Thats Tadas fault for not executing, not Jose's for making " the wrong play"