PDA

View Full Version : Kenny? Kenny? You there, Kenny?


Fisk72
12-11-2001, 01:38 AM
First of all, this is my first post, so I apologize if this has already been said and I'm repeating some other people's comments. It's been kinda bothering me that there have been quite a few trades going on so far this offseason and the Sox haven't been involved in any at all. I usually try to check out ESPN's rumors to see what is the latest. I know I shouldn't rely on that alone, but I still think it's evident that the sox aren't going to do anything major. I know we have the young talent, but it's also true that you need some seasoned veterans to help lead the club. Think back to 2000 when we had Eldred helping our younger pitchers. It's kinda sick to see that Parque as the most experienced out of our rotation. Granted, the David Wells experiment backfired, but I thought I heard Buerhle talk about how Wells helped coach him even though he was hurt - and look where Buerhle is now. Thomas is the only guy on the club from the '93 team and I'm not so sure he really brings the leadership our club desperately needs. I've heard some rumors about Texas' Kenny Rogers coming here for Singleton, but I'm just wondering if that's enough. So how long do we have to wait? I'm guessing 2002 is going to be a long season.

FarWestChicago
12-11-2001, 01:40 AM
Welcome to WSI, Fisk72. And there is nothing wrong with your post. All good questions. :smile:

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Welcome to WSI, Fisk72. And there is nothing wrong with your post. All good questions. :smile:

Nice sig too! :D:

FarWestChicago
12-11-2001, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


Nice sig too! :D: Yes it is. :smile:

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 01:56 AM
A veteran starting pitcher would be nice to head into 2002 with, but at what price? The Mets were asking for Carlos Lee just for Appier! If we do end up dealing for a vet starter it should be someone who can at least contribute and maybe help our young arms develop as well. If we're only looking at Kenny Rogers/Kevin Appier types, then I say forget about it. Don't bother bringing in a washed up noodle arm just for the sake of signing a veteran. Might as well let our "kids" get the innings in.

CLR01
12-11-2001, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


Nice sig too! :D:


LOL that is good. Welcome to WSI Fisk72. I expect you will follow the strict policy about not being allowed to bad mouth singleton. :)

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by CLR01



LOL that is good. Welcome to WSI Fisk72. I expect you will follow the strict policy about not being allowed to bad mouth singleton. :)

C'mon CLR, you know that you're the only one that follows that policy! :D:

CLR01
12-11-2001, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


C'mon CLR, you know that you're the only one that follows that policy! :D:


Yeah, i know, but i am hoping i can intimidate him into following it to. :smile:

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by CLR01



Yeah, i know, but i am hoping i can intimidate him into following it to. :smile:


Sorry, I hope I didn't chase away a recruit!
:flameswing

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by CLR01



LOL that is good. Welcome to WSI Fisk72. I expect you will follow the strict policy about not being allowed to bad mouth singleton. :)

What about after they trade him? :)

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 03:42 AM
I wouldn't mind Appier on the staff, as long as we get a t last a prosect with him f or Lee. Rogers is a joke! What can he do? I picked him in a fantacy league last year because I needed 1 more pitcher and he was the only thing half way decent left. Man he sucks! I should have just picked Kip Wells over him.

Some how I finished second in that leage with Rogers in my rotation , but I made no money because that's illegal. :smile:

Welcome Fisk72. That is a good sig. lol

Soxboyrob
12-11-2001, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The Mets were asking for Carlos Lee just for Appier! If we do end up dealing for a vet starter it should be someone who can at least contribute and maybe help our young arms develop as well. If we're only looking at Kenny Rogers/Kevin Appier types, then I say forget about it. Don't bother bringing in a washed up noodle arm just for the sake of signing a veteran. Might as well let our "kids" get the innings in.

Appier for Lee seems pretty fair to me. Appier has been excellent for the last couple of seasons. He's under contract for a fair price, he eats innings at a rate of about 200 per season, and by the time Lee learns how to play defense and starts to hit as well as we've hoped he would, he becomes arbitration eligible and then a free agent. Frankly, I don't like the idea of spending lots of money on Carlos Lee. I'll take the wiley veteran pitcher, Appier, any day of the week.

CLR01
12-11-2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


What about after they trade him? :)


Singleton is not going to get traded. That is strike one. I knew that VBpad would come in habdy some day.

Fisk72
12-11-2001, 10:32 AM
While it looked like KW was at the winter meetings just for the free food, there's been a little bit of talk about going after CF Darren Erstad as well as some veteran pitching. Of our favorite GM he had to mention that it would have to be the right situation and CHEAP if any moves were made. So if this Erstad thing goes through, I'm wondering how this might affect our roster. I'd think either Lee or Singleton would be gone then because we would just have too many outfielders. While I'm pretty neutral on the Singleton bashing, I do think Erstad would give us more offensive power. He had a down year last season but I'd like to think that he'll be back on his game come springtime. Just some of my thoughts.

Tragg
12-11-2001, 11:05 AM
I'd like to re sign Boomer for about 4 million a year (or less). That's royce clayton money.
Boomer is a winner, works well with the young pitchers, always an excellent pitcher when healthy.

WinningUgly!
12-11-2001, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob


Appier for Lee seems pretty fair to me. Appier has been excellent for the last couple of seasons. He's under contract for a fair price, he eats innings at a rate of about 200 per season, and by the time Lee learns how to play defense and starts to hit as well as we've hoped he would, he becomes arbitration eligible and then a free agent. Frankly, I don't like the idea of spending lots of money on Carlos Lee. I'll take the wiley veteran pitcher, Appier, any day of the week.

I'd take Appier over Kenny Rogers, but I sure as hell would not give up Carlos Lee for him. Maybe I've seen the Sox bring in too many pitchers with big names & bad numbers over the past few years. Dave Stieb, Doug Drabek, Tim Belcher, David Wells, among others.

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Boomer had dinner with Stenbrenner yesterday. He just keeps close to those people.

KempersRS
12-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


I'd take Appier over Kenny Rogers, but I sure as hell would not give up Carlos Lee for him. Maybe I've seen the Sox bring in too many pitchers with big names & bad numbers over the past few years. Dave Stieb, Doug Drabek, Tim Belcher, David Wells, among others.

I'm not even a big Carlos Lee fan and I would never deal Lee for Appier. The ape is old and on the brink of being washed up. Lee is just entering his prime. BTW, this topic title reminds me of the Seinfeld where the Kenny's chicken place goes out of business and Kramer sits at the window saying "Kenny...Kenny...Kenny".

Ok, just me on this one? :smile:

AsInWreck
12-11-2001, 12:37 PM
I think we all know KW is just the type of idiot to pull a trade like this

Soxboyrob
12-11-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS


I'm not even a big Carlos Lee fan and I would never deal Lee for Appier. The ape is old and on the brink of being washed up.

The Ape just turned 34 and is going very strong. What's to say he'll not have another 3-5 good years or at least a couple more good years? My point was that what are the chances that the Sox will have Lee for more than a couple more years? He'll be a free agent after about another 3 years. Appier can help us right now more than Lee can. I think Lee might be a stud somewhere on down the line if he ever gets his head screwed on right and repairs the hole in his glove. If I thought that the Sox might have Lee long term and he might actually improve, I might think differently. I'm to where I'm just more interested in seeing us go all the way right now instead of always thinking about how good we'll be in a couple of years when some of our hopefuls pan out. I'm tired of talking about our young talent. It's time to talk about how good our team is NOW. Not how good we're going to be.

Daver
12-11-2001, 04:28 PM
There are 22 million reasons why the Sox don't want to trade for Appier.



But then again what the hell do I know?

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CLR01



Singleton is not going to get traded. That is strike one. I knew that VBpad would come in habdy some day.

What the hell is a VBpad?

I think Singleton wants to be traded. He sees where this organizaion is going with the OF, and he don't seem to be part of the picture. He also did give some hints of wanting to be traded over the summer when he wasn't playing much.