PDA

View Full Version : First Pitch

bennyw41
10-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I know Frank threw out for Game 1, but I was late for Game 2, and was wondering if anyone knew about tonight as far as who is throwing out the first pitch.

pdimas
10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
While listening to Mac Jurko and Harry yesterday I thought I heard something about Bernie Mac throwing out the first pitch. Not too sure though. Mr. Velasquez who threw out the pitch at the second game last week was kind of cool to see. He is a really good family friend.

BeviBall!
10-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Rumor has it that Springsteen is siniging the anthem and GBA tonight as well.

DaleJRFan
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Rumor has it that Springsteen is siniging the anthem and GBA tonight as well.

:chunks

Sorry, but Springsteen drives me up the wall with that "Brooklyn tough guy" bull****.

sox1970
10-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Billy Pierce will throw the first pitch. Personally, I think they should have waited for the next series.

Unregistered
10-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Sorry, but Springsteen drives me up the wall with that "Brooklyn tough guy" bull****.Springsteen's Jersey, not Brooklyn.

sox1970
10-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Billy Pierce will throw the first pitch. Personally, I think they should have waited for the next series.

Alice Peacock is singing the anthem.

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Sorry, but Springsteen drives me up the wall with that "Brooklyn tough guy" bull****.

Actually, that's NJ shore accent. Having been around NJ folks and Brooklynites for the past twenty years it is easy to spot the difference. Heck, does Bruce sound like Jerry Reinsdorf (a native Brooklynite)? A: nope.

The difference between a NJ shore accent and a Brooklyn one is akin to confusing a south side Chicago accent with a Cheeshead accent. IOW not even close.

But more importantly, why are we having someone from NJ sing in Chicago? I like Bruce. But isn't there someone from Chicago who can sing AND is a Sox fan.:?:

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 03:29 PM
While listening to Mac Jurko and Harry yesterday I thought I heard something about Bernie Mac throwing out the first pitch. Not too sure though. Mr. Velasquez who threw out the pitch at the second game last week was kind of cool to see. He is a really good family friend.

Who is Mr. Velasquez?

Chicken Dinner
10-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Alice Peacock is singing the anthem.

She'll do well.

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 03:30 PM

I like your optimism. :cool:

Chez
10-11-2005, 03:35 PM
How about the Oak Ridge Boys?

Viva Medias B's
10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Who is Mr. Velasquez?

It is Art Velazquez of Azteca Foods? Also, what ever happened to Phyllis Arnold? I don't think she has appeared at the ballpark this season, at least of the games I've been to.

pdimas
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
It's Art's dad. Art senior. He was on the mound with his grandson Eddie (who I played hockey with at St. Rita) and Eddie's son who technically was the one who threw out the pitch.

zach23
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
If it is Bernie Mac he should be booed without mercy. This is the guy who jumped on the cub bandwagon back in 2003 and who also bad mouthed the Sox on "Best Damn Sports Show" during the preseason. He does not deserve the honor of throwing out the first pitch. Let either a former player, or someone like the mayor throw out the first pitch

WhiteSox16K
10-11-2005, 03:43 PM
From a White Sox Press Release (10/11/2005 2:50 PM ET):
"CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox will host the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim tonight in Game 1 of the American League Championship Series. Before the game's 7:00 p.m. start, recording artist Alice Peacock will perform the national anthem. White Sox legend Bill Pierce, who played with the Sox in the 1959 World Series, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch."

link
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051011&content_id=1246259&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

BeviBall!
10-11-2005, 03:49 PM
But more importantly, why are we having someone from NJ sing in Chicago? I like Bruce. But isn't there someone from Chicago who can sing AND is a Sox fan.:?:

He might be singing tomorrow... he has a concert on Thursday at the UC.

CanBuehrleWait
10-11-2005, 03:53 PM
If it is Bernie Mac he should be booed without mercy. This is the guy who jumped on the cub bandwagon back in 2003 and who also bad mouthed the Sox on "Best Damn Sports Show" during the preseason. He does not deserve the honor of throwing out the first pitch. Let either a former player, or someone like the mayor throw out the first pitch

He was also moderatly condescending to the Cubs and mentioned on more then a few occasions that he was a white Sox fan. Native southsider went to CVS High School with my folks back in the day.

SweetnesSox
10-11-2005, 03:53 PM
I should throw out the first pitch. Give the club a chance to showcase my talent. plus I can hold a note too. is there a sign-up sheet for this stuff?

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 04:18 PM
I should throw out the first pitch. Give the club a chance to showcase my talent. plus I can hold a note too. is there a sign-up sheet for this stuff?

Trying to be our answer to the Flubs Carman Fanzone (sp)? Sing, play an instrument and play an average thirdbase? :D:

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM

Didn't LaMar Johnson sign and then hit a homer or two for us? My memory is going .... I used to remember dumb things like this. :?:

SweetnesSox
10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Trying to be our answer to the Flubs Carman Fanzone (sp)? Sing, play an instrument and play an average thirdbase? :D: I can also rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time! I'm more entertaining than that ALCS game one...

mike squires
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
How about the Oak Ridge Boys?

I'll never forget their rendition at the last game at old Comiskey. IT was a good one.