PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tidbit re: Thomas

Agent 007
07-27-2001, 04:16 PM
From mlb.com:

[About Frank Thomas's injury and next year]--

"When he does return, Thomas would like to have Jose Canseco in the lineup behind him. "

Wonder if this will have any impact on KW's decisions for next year...

Daver
07-27-2001, 04:17 PM
So Frank runs the team now?

Agent 007
07-27-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
So Frank runs the team now?

I don't know, DavER, i was just wondering.

("Wonder if this will have any impact ...")

Anybody care to speculate or contribute something meaningful?

NUCatsFan
07-27-2001, 04:26 PM
And just where would Mr. Canseco play?

OF? That means, someone else doesn't play. Maggs? (not likely) Lee? (a possibility, but still not likely) Put Canseco in CF? (ha!)

OK, then. 1B? That would mean, no Konerko.

DH? See problem with 1B.

So, either we trade away someone (Lee or Konerko) so Canseco can get in the lineup, or we lose Conseco.

DuckSnort
07-27-2001, 04:26 PM
I like the idea of Frank and Jose in the same linup... that would be killer... but I don't know if it's possible.. you know? who goes, what else... but having Frank, Konerko, Lee, Maggs, and Canseco in one linup, is killer...! or should be.

Agent 007
07-27-2001, 04:30 PM
It would be very crowded in the field with so many big bats in the lineup. And now that Rowand is making a bid to play CF next season, the situation is even more cloudy.

Maybe a few position players could be packaged together to pry some starting pitching away from someone else. Royce and Leifer perhaps?

Just speculating...

Chisox353014
07-27-2001, 04:37 PM
And just where would Mr. Canseco play?

OF? That means, someone else doesn't play. Maggs? (not likely) Lee? (a possibility, but still not likely) Put Canseco in CF? (ha!)

OK, then. 1B? That would mean, no Konerko.

And you haven't even mentioned Liefer or Rowand yet. I think Canseco is definitely a short-term rental.

Daver
07-27-2001, 04:43 PM
I hope the rental is very short term,like maybe over by July 31st?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 06:57 PM
"When he does return, Thomas would like to have Jose Canseco in the lineup behind him. "

Okay, can we all agree Frank Thomas would make a lousy GM? It was his idea to get Albert Belle, too.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 06:59 PM
Okay, can we all agree Frank Thomas would make a lousy GM? It was his idea to get Albert Belle, too.

:veeck
Would I make a good GM?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 07:04 PM
Would I make a good GM?

"No way. We're building a first-rate organization here!"
:reinsy

"Tell me about it.":JB

"We are what is left of the White Flag trade!"
:keith :walk :thegreat :vining

"If you start costing me too much money, you'll be gone, too!"
:KW

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 07:13 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf told us:
"No way. We're building a first-rate organization here!"

:veeck
Oh I guess I wasn't doing the job eh Jerry?

Tragg
07-27-2001, 08:09 PM
Who's the guy with the glasses?

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 08:11 PM
Who's the guy with the glasses?

That is former White Sox owner Bill Veeck.

Tragg
07-27-2001, 08:20 PM
The best g.m. we had was Larry Himes. He's the guy who really built our early 90s team, drafting the pitchers and getting GREAT RETURN for baines and bannister at the deadline. Jerry fired him, I believe. Now, I don't know if he could have built us further, but he did build the foundation of that team.

Mathew
07-27-2001, 08:42 PM
I'd walk Thomas to pitch to Canseco!

Nellie_Fox
07-28-2001, 02:37 AM
No, Veeck wasn't getting it done. The lack of money that he and the Allyns brought to the game contributed to the deterioration of old Comiskey. All they did was slap paint on the place rather than address the deterioration. Reinsdorf has brought us one more post season than Veeck, and the core of the 59 Sox were in place before Veeck took control. In fact, Veeck traded away some very good young prospects (Romano, Cash, Battey) to try to repeat in 60, hurting the team for years to come.

Veeck was always a Cubs fan. Sorry, I just don't get on the Veeck bandwagon.

FarWestChicago
07-28-2001, 02:59 AM
Veeck was always a Cubs fan. Sorry, I just don't get on the Veeck bandwagon.

Nellie, this is one of the few times where I am actually too young to make a judgement. Guys around my age miss Veeck because of the fun and Dick Allen. But, he never really did deliver anything. Reinsy just isn't any fun. :)

Nellie_Fox
07-28-2001, 03:11 AM
Veeck wasn't around in the Dick Allen years. When he regained control was when they went to the pajama uniforms (big floppy collars.) Veeck bought the club back in late 75 (after the season) long after Dick Allen was gone.

All in all, with the ownership of Veeck, the Allyns, and Veeck again, things were not good. It was a circus in the Veeck years, but no real money was put in the team because Veeck didn't have any.

harwar
07-28-2001, 09:24 AM
Who knows how Big Frank is going to be next year.I heard that hes' behind schedule in his rehab.Hes' a huge guy thats never been seriously hurt before.He may be useless next year and since hes' not getting any younger thats doesn't bode well for the Sox.I'm not getting my hopes up again for next year just to be devastated again.I'm going back into normal WhiteSox mode(don't expect anything good to happen).I guess 35 years of frustration are catching up to me.