PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Field demoltion?

Fenway
10-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Steve Buckley in the Boston Herald this morning says the bleachers at Wrigley have been demolished?????? He quoted a lady chained to the park that says "Andy McPhail must die"

I would love to see pictures of this

BTW at Fenway crews have already demolished the .406 club behind home plate which nobody will miss. The new seats up there will be open air.

and it is still raining here :(:

itsnotrequired
10-11-2005, 11:41 AM
A good chunk of them are busted up for the renovation. Click below for some pics.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2005/10/6/14248/8098

Norberto7
10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
It's a start.

voodoochile
10-11-2005, 12:02 PM
She chained herself to the park? *****!!!

Don't you just love the causes that people will adopt these days...

Starvation? War? Poverty? Injustice? WHO CARES!!??!??!?!

They are tearing down the bleachers at Wrigley - intending to replace them with better seats in a more user friendly setting with more seats available?

GET MY CHAIN AND PADLOCK!!!

I think I know where they should start with the wrecking ball. That way we can assure she doesn't breed and continue to lower the overall IQ of the human race...:rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Was the protestor aware that the bleachers aren't part of the original ballpark construction?

:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM

They are tearing down the bleachers at Wrigley - intending to replace them with better seats in a more user friendly setting with more seats available?

I think I know where they should start with the wrecking ball. That way we can assure she doesn't breed and continue to lower the overall IQ of the human race...:rolleyes:

Just wait until they start the auction for every brick, board and nail that was demolished. That's when the fun will start. I wonder if anyone will end up with that brick from old Comiskey that some crafty Sox fans cemented in there?:cool:

Fenway
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM

she sounds perfect for Woo-Woo

BTW a friend of mine saw him at Starbucks at State and Pearson Sunday and he had a Sox cap on :?:

Hangar18
10-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Wait a second ........seems to me the Cubs may have pulled yet another fast one on the City. Doesnt the ordinance say the park must generally be kept intact? The Horrid Concrete slabs and chain link fence that surround the park certainly doesnt make it "quaint", "charming", or "historic" in my book.

The only bricks that were in the place were outside the bleachers and theyve torn them down? Excellent, now nothing will be "sacred" at that place. Its all window dressing now ........

voodoochile
10-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Wait a second ........seems to me the Cubs may have pulled yet another fast one on the City. Doesnt the ordinance say the park must generally be kept intact? The Horrid Concrete slabs and chain link fence that surround the park certainly doesnt make it "quaint", "charming", or "historic" in my book.

The only bricks that were in the place were outside the bleachers and theyve torn them down? Excellent, now nothing will be "sacred" at that place. Its all window dressing now ........

They took a cue from Daley's destruction of the runways at Meigs Field. Once it is torn down, nothing to be done. Pay the fine and move along...

hsnterprize
10-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm changing the subject just a little bit, but if you read parts of the homepage following the playoff schedule, you'll notice there's NO MENTION of the White Sox' sweep of the Red Sox (That's a shock!!!). There is a somewhat-camparison of the 2005 Sox to the 1984 Cubs, who finished the regular season with the best record in the National League and took a 2-0 NLCS lead over San Diego. We ALL know what happened next (I still remember a local San Diego radio station putting out the "Ghostbusters" parody song, "Cubsbusters", and playing it over the Jack Murphy Stadium loudspeakers. It'll be a classic as far as I'm concerned.

C-Dawg
10-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Just wait until they start the auction for every brick, board and nail that was demolished. That's when the fun will start. I wonder if anyone will end up with that brick from old Comiskey that some crafty Sox fans cemented in there?:cool:

Last week I was by there several times for work,and saw the workers tossing the LF bleachers into dumpsters. Are the dumpsters going to be sorted so the good stuff can be auctioned off? I don't know. But there didn't seem to be any care involved on the part of the workers. Also, Robinette Demolition had a crew breaking down the brick wall on the RF side.

The last time I was by there, they had a guy with a Bobcat bringing out great big hunks of sod, which they had evidently scraped up from the field using the Bobcat bucket. They piled up all the sod in a giant pile near the Harry Carey statue, and later loaded it into a dumpster. Some old guy was loading some of it into his van, and I grabbed a 2' x 2' hunk of it and took off too. Haven't yet decided what to do with it yet.

eriqjaffe
10-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Which of Wrigley's walls has a brick from old Comiskey in it again? I can never remember...

Stroker Ace
10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
A good chunk of them are busted up for the renovation. Click below for some pics.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2005/10/6/14248/8098There seems to be a lot of chunks of concrete on the ground. Are you sure the pics weren't just taken right after a game?:D:

eriqjaffe
10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
There seems to be a lot of chunks of concrete on the ground. Are you sure the pics weren't just taken right after a game?:D:Yes, because I don't see anybody peeing in any of those pictures.

Cat Thief
10-11-2005, 02:16 PM
and I grabbed a 2' x 2' hunk of it and took off too. Haven't yet decided what to do with it yet.

I'll take it for my yard. I have 2 dogs that could get some use out of it.

Joosh
10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Wait, are all of you telling me the truth? Parts of Wrigley field being torn down? It cant be. The Tribune has been telling me for years that Wrigley is the most holy spot in Chicago besides the Tribune building. Its just not possible. How could they tear up that field, that holy field where Baker sprinkled Holy Water on on it hoping Corey Patterson would hit .300? Where the bleacher bums spill their tasty beer on opposing players in the name of the Cubs, and throw garbage on to their holy field when an umpire makes a correct call. Is it really not a Cubs/Tribune world anymore? Give me the lovable loser, Ron Santo, and a group of Bandwagon fans any day, it's what makes Chicago great!

Fenway
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
http://bc.images.trb.com/media/graphic/2005-10/19858432.jpg

The left field bleachers are now gone as you can see by looking into the construction site on Waveland.
(Bob Vorwald, WGN-TV)

Cuck the Fubs
10-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Why stop at the bleachers?

FINISH THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:

Fenway
10-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Why stop at the bleachers?

FINISH THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:

http://www.brentbutler.com/images/blog/1128602521.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised ESPN isn't doing Sportscenter from in front of that pile of rubble. They are in Chicago this week covering the baseball playoffs, aren't they?

Okay, maybe I'm only half-surprised.

:cool:

Rocky Soprano
10-12-2005, 01:19 PM
If I was driving one of those cranes I would accidentally knock down a couple support beams.

Tekijawa
10-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I hope they did a few Simulation Teardowns and some long toss before this! Wouldn't want to have to pay out any workmans comp for any injuries!

Joosh
10-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I hope they did a few Simulation Teardowns and some long toss before this! Wouldn't want to have to pay out any workmans comp for any injuries!

:rolling: :rolling: Perfect!

Norberto7
10-13-2005, 12:34 PM

If you were a Cubs fan, your username would be "Suck the Fox". :o:

miker
10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Was the protestor aware that the bleachers aren't part of the original ballpark construction?
Are Cub fans aware of anything in baseball history?

whitesoxwin
10-13-2005, 02:48 PM
I am surprised friggin' Santo isn't the fool chaining himself to a beam.
This would be the start of "This Old Flub II" and move on with a few "darns",
"sheesh" and the wonderful: "Oh No!!", as he waddles around threatening the workers---about to get his a$$ kicked until Ronnie Woo Woo comes to his defense---and most of the workers have to go home because they are laughing too much!!
I can hear it now "Chicago's Very Own": Following the news at 9.."This Old Flub II"...a real tear jerker.
I wonder if the Cubune is planning to fix the rest of the "Friendly Urinal".
The nets really bring out the charm of the dump, but the place is historic!!

StrTrkker
10-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Man...

Wouldnt it be something if they tore down the wrong building like that one commercial I been seeing on the air for Progressive Insurance.

Fenway
10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Where Woo-Woo going to live now? I though he slept under the bleachers :smile:

Ya know I would consider trading puckhead for Woo-Woo even up

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2004/10/30/1099149724_7081.jpg

nasox
10-13-2005, 05:51 PM

:woo-woo

"Don't you talk about my momma like that!"

Orta 4-6-3
10-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Are Cub fans aware of anything in baseball history?

Such as the park the Cubs play in wasn't even built for the Cubs?

LongLiveFisk
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
If I was driving one of those cranes I would accidentally knock down a couple support beams.

Well, if you see the word "OOPS" in large print on the front of the Trib, you'll know why! :redneck

soxjim
10-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Keep up the good work. Don't stop now.

Fenway
10-14-2005, 02:53 PM
meanwhile at what some call Wrigley east

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_287140757.html

A concrete baseball finally shattered the glass that separated the 406 Club from the rest of Fenway’s fans. EMC employee Dave Hickson broke the glass and started demolition on what was a rather controversial part of Fenway Park.

“We’ve been hearing almost non-stop since we got here that the glass should go… That there was a different type of atmosphere here,” said Red Sox President Larry Lucchino. “The people who bought these preferred open air, the electricity, the energy of Fenway Park.”

The work has been underway for just about a week now, but already the 406 Club and the Hall of Fame Club has been gutted.

When the work is finished next sprin, Fenway Park will have 1,100 high-end seats in what would be called the EMC Club. The game will be the same, but the experience for the fans will be much more open.

Fenway
10-15-2005, 01:25 PM
more from Wrigley East

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2005/10/15/opening_day_for_renovations?mode=PF

By Sasha Talcott, Globe Staff | October 15, 2005
They smashed the glass with a cement baseball. And, just to be sure, they smashed it again.

The Red Sox yesterday brought an official end to the much-maligned .406 Club at Fenway Park, as the team started work on the most extensive renovations to the ballpark in six decades. The destruction wiped out a glassed-in luxury seating area reviled by some hitters -- Hall of Fame third baseman Wade Boggs said it altered wind patterns in the park -- while fans who bought the seats complained that its piped-in sound and glass curtain made a trip to the park feel like watching the game on television.

In its place come Opening Day 2006, the Sox plan to complete construction of a new open-air area called the EMC (http://studio.financialcontent.com/Engine?Account=bostonglobe&PageName=QUOTE&Ticker=EMC) Club, with $275 heated seats, plus waiter service, private dining rooms, a conference center, and a concierge dedicated to helping club members procure tickets to Fenway and other ballparks.

The Red Sox also will build a ''pavilion level" to replace existing roof box seats and a Home Plate Pavilion Club above the EMC Club. All told, the Red Sox will add about 1,100 seats by April, bringing Fenway's capacity to 38,800. The Sox signed EMC as a corporate sponsor earlier this year.

MUsoxfan
10-15-2005, 01:36 PM
All told, the Red Sox will add about 1,100 seats by April, bringing Fenway's capacity to 38,800. The Sox signed EMC as a corporate sponsor earlier this year.

At what point does Wrigley East topple over because of over-capacity? It's just not that big of a place to be seating that many people

Fenway
10-15-2005, 02:34 PM
At what point does Wrigley East topple over because of over-capacity? It's just not that big of a place to be seating that many people

or sink

Fenway on filled in land :?:

Fenway
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM

they beginning to find that out

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_Fenway-collapse3.jpg

oh and tix prices going up again

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2005/10/2006_schedule_p.html

White Sox don't come here until LABOR DAY :angry:

Joosh
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
they beginning to find that out

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_Fenway-collapse3.jpg

:D: I've been waiting to see a picture like that!