View Full Version : Jim Tracy to manage the Pirates in 2006

itsnotrequired
10-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Just confirmed.

EDIT: Here's a link.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/12873806.htm

PaulDrake
10-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I feel very sorry for him. You think Chicago is a Cubs town? Pittsburgh is that much more a Steelers town. If the Penguins and Lemieux rebound nicely Tracy has an even bigger uphill climb. You think Reinsdorf is a lousy cheap owner? He is positively wonderful compared to Kevin McClatchy and his gang. Baseball is in serious trouble in the once and former Steel City. Too bad. They play in such a great ballpark.

dropkick371
10-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Aye, but the thing is that the Steelers don't really take over the Bucs' media coverage until camp starts. I'd say the Pittsburgh media does a mediocre job of covering the Pirates until then, though they tend to lay off when they're in the middle of a pretty bad losing stretch (read: after the All Star Game). The Penguins' comeback is going to be based primarily around the aquisition of Sidney Crosby, and if Tracy manages to get something done with Pittsburgh's young team (now that they're finally not bringing Mesa back), next year could be a vast improvement over this one.

Though you are right about McClatchy.

The_Floridian
10-12-2005, 07:20 PM
This is a really smart move on the part of the Pirates. I always thought Tracy was underrated as a manager, and he completely got the rug pulled out from under him in LA (trading Lo Duca, letting Beltre walk, etc.) Shame. The Dodgers were really headed in the right direction. Now I don't think they'll contend for a while.

But Tracy on the Pirates, this could be interesting. It's his kind of club. Lots of young talent to develop. We'll see if the ownership gives him any kind of help. There are a couple of clubs out there that have a real opportunity to break out their funks in the next couple of years (Pirates, Brewers, Rockies). If the Pirates are serious about this, they made the right first move.

gogosox675
10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
I agree. If the Pirates are serious about moving forward, this is definitely a start.

antitwins13
10-13-2005, 01:17 AM
I think he's a downgrade from their last manager which isn't saying much.

MeteorsSox4367
10-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I like the hiring of Tracy. He was pretty solid with LA and I hope he does well with the Pirates. After all, my dream World Series is the Sox and Pirates. PNC is just a beautiful ballpark and the Pirates do have a good group of young players. However, they have to stop letting all the talent go. Once you have a good core group of players, keep 'em instead of trading all the time.

rmusacch
10-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I think he's a downgrade from their last manager which isn't saying much.

I was hoping that Pete Mackanin would get a shot as the full time manager. He is a Chicago boy and a good friend of my dad's best friend.