PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for the new Bill Simmons column....

MM2112
10-11-2005, 08:58 AM
I like his writing, but his Boston edge is too much for a national column. $100 says he writes about the Celtics or Bruins and doesnt mention the sweep

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 09:00 AM
"And the biggest news in the Sports world this week was Tom Brady coming out as a true leader, in the Belicheck mold, and leading his team to victory - proving yet again that you just can't keep the Pats down. Now go buy my new book while I begin writing about my last trip to Vegas."

ma-gaga
10-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I like his writing, but his Boston edge is too much for a national column. $100 says he writes about the Celtics or Bruins and doesnt mention the sweep

Nah.. He'll bitch about how "the best team doesn't always win", or some crap like that.

Actually, like any good fan, he's harder on HIS team than neutral parties.

Max Power
10-11-2005, 01:17 PM
"And the biggest news in the Sports world this week was Tom Brady coming out as a true leader, in the Belicheck mold, and leading his team to victory - proving yet again that you just can't keep the Pats down. Now go buy my new book while I begin writing about my last trip to Vegas."

Hilarious.

I'm also waiting for the new Simmons column. I'm sure he'll justify the sweep by saying the Red Sox weren't that good and he saw this coming a mile away (despite picking the Red Sox in 4 games).

I use to like Simmons, but now he's made me hate every Boston team (except the Patriots).

1951Campbell
10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Hmmm, late Tuesday afternoon, still waiting, Bill....

spiffie
10-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, Bill finally emerged, and to his credit, he doesn't disparage the White Sox in the slighest...from his column

Even though the series ended four days ago, I wanted to discuss the Sox. Not the Red Sox ... the White Sox.

It wasn't just the sweep that impressed me, or all the different players who stepped up at various times. The way Chicago dismantled Boston was almost Belichickian. Did they screw up a single time in three games? Was there a play that wasn't made? How many times did someone come through when they needed it? I just loved the way they played baseball, even if they were constantly reminding me of the staggering inadequacies of my own team.

Fenway
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I've never seen anything like this. Globe, Herald, WEEI there is NO sour grapes whatsoever. Everybody agrees Boston was beaten by a better team.

Dan Mega
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Bill Simmons was a writer before ESPN covering his beloved Boston sports, and he was offered a job by ESPN and they told him he could keep writing the way he does. Why wouldn't he stick with his teams? I would.

I think he is one of the best ESPN writers, as he will give credit where credit is due most of the time. His comments on how Chicago "dismantled Boston impressively" only proves that.

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I've never seen anything like this. Globe, Herald, WEEI there is NO sour grapes whatsoever. Everybody agrees Boston was beaten by a better team.

When you get swept, outpitched, outhit, outfielded.....that tends to happen.

Fenway
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
When you get swept, outpitched, outhit, outfielded.....that tends to happen.

trust me in past sweeps we blamed this, that, whatever

Iwritecode
10-11-2005, 03:06 PM
trust me in past sweeps we blamed this, that, whatever

Had the Red Sox not won the WS last year you would have heard the same thing.

TommyJohn
10-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Had the Red Sox not won the WS last year you would have heard the same thing.

Had the Red Sox not won the series last year Tony Graffanino would've had
to hightail it out to the hinterlands with Buckner and Bartman.

On the other hand, Shaughnessy would've made a killing doing a Curse book
reissue with a new chapter "Curse of the Graffabino". Doris Kearns Goodwin
would've gotten some airtime describing how poetic and majestic the pain
feels. Ben Affleck would've whined, Dennis Leary would've acted like a
complete ******* as usual, and more than one "sports psycho" would've
gone on ESPN and acted like Graff committed the Crime of the Century and
should be driven into exile along with his family.

mrfourni
10-13-2005, 09:37 AM

Have you ever read the tribune or the sun times after the white sox lose a game?