PDA

View Full Version : A few White Sox numbers from 2005

Cambridge
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
These numbers are per statistician Chuck Waseleski:

The White Sox had the best record in MLB within their own division: 52-22. Outside of the AL Central they were 47-41.

Of the four AL playoff teams, the White Sox had the third best record against teams with winning records:39-33 (Boston was 1st, LA 2nd, NY 4th).

The White Sox went 12-14 against the other postseason qualifiers during the regular season.

The White Sox had the best record in MLB in one-run games: 35-19.

The White Sox won 20 games in their last AB.

The White Sox were 11-9 in extra inning games. Only the Twins played more extra inning games.

The White Sox had 38 come-from-behind wins, which was 15th in MLB.

The White Sox went 61-21 in games where their starting pitcher went at least 7 innings.

elrod
10-11-2005, 08:25 AM
The only stat the bothers me is average with runners in scoring position:

White Sox: .259
Angels: .296

One consolation, though, is that OPPOSING team's average with runners in scoring position favors the White Sox.

White Sox (opposing hitters with RISP): .222
Angels (opposing hitters with RISP): .251

While the Angels' offense has the best averge in MLB with RISP, the White Sox have the best average-against in MLB with RISP. In fact, the Sox's opposing avg W/RISP is 11 points lower than the second best Astros. The Angels' average W/RISP is 5 points better than the Red Sox. If the White Sox's ability to shut down a strong opponent with RISP in the ALDS is an indicator, we may be able to neutralize the Angels in clutch situations. Maybe.

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 09:04 AM

The White Sox had the best record in MLB within their own division: 52-22. Outside of the AL Central they were 47-41.

Of the four AL playoff teams, the White Sox had the third best record against teams with winning records:39-33 (Boston was 1st, LA 2nd, NY 4th).

The White Sox went 12-14 against the other postseason qualifiers during the regular season.

The White Sox were 11-9 in extra inning games. Only the Twins played more extra inning games.

The White Sox went 61-21 in games where their starting pitcher went at least 7 innings.

Hmmm.....all very interesting, but more relevant, IMO is this stat:

3-0 in the postseason, won 8 in a row.

Brian26
10-11-2005, 09:16 AM

A very Fenway-esque post, Cambridge. I figured you guys might lay low after we swept you, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

batmanZoSo
10-11-2005, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Cambridge]

QUOTE]

For a team with a lot of heart, we didn't have too many of those because we always seemed to be in the lead, especially early in the year.

havelj
10-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Does anyone have a link to 2005 records of each team by month?

Cambridge
10-11-2005, 12:17 PM
A very Fenway-esque post, Cambridge. I figured you guys might lay low after we swept you, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Are you insuating that the posting of statistical snapshots of the White Sox season isn't appropriate on this site? You may not find them interesting, but I would think a lot of fans would.

Wait, let me guess. I'm not a White Sox fan, so I must somehow be trolling. Give me a break.

Brian26
10-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Wait, let me guess. I'm not a White Sox fan, so I must somehow be trolling. Give me a break.

Never said you were trolling. Just said that it was a Fenway-esque post.

Perfect example of this was when Fenway posted last week (before the ALDS began), "Have fun trying to win your first home playoff game in 46 years!"

mccoydp
10-11-2005, 12:44 PM

:DJ:

"Uh Oh!"

Ol' No. 2
10-11-2005, 12:54 PM

The White Sox went 61-21 in games where their starting pitcher went at least 7 innings.You can throw all that out the window. The White Sox had a losing record against the Red Sox this season. It means absolutely nothing.

C-Dawg
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
On an unrelated note, the Red Sox are leading the majors in the Not-Living-Up-To-Expectations category.

Stroker Ace
10-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Only stat I care about- W

Cambridge
10-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Several of the stats listed above help explain why the White Sox won 99 games and are in ALCS. If some fans don't care to understand why their team is where it is...that's their prerogative. Others prefer knowing more than the final score of last night's game, which is why they look at the numbers. I think there's even a chance the Sox GM and his staff pay attention to them....

Iwritecode
10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Several of the stats listed above help explain why the White Sox won 99 games and are in ALCS. If some fans don't care to understand why their team is where it is...that's their prerogative. Others prefer knowing more than the final score of last night's game, which is why they look at the numbers. I think there's even a chance the Sox GM and his staff pay attention to them....

If the games could be decided by who had the better stats then they would never have to set foot on the field.

Stats are nice to know but once the players step on the field you can pretty much throw them out the window. Whatever happens will happen. It doesn't matter if same senario occured 99 other times...

Ol' No. 2
10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Several of the stats listed above help explain why the White Sox won 99 games and are in ALCS. If some fans don't care to understand why their team is where it is...that's their prerogative. Others prefer knowing more than the final score of last night's game, which is why they look at the numbers. I think there's even a chance the Sox GM and his staff pay attention to them....You're talking to people who watched all 162 games. WE ALREADY KNOW why they won 99 games and are in the ALCS. They have one of the best pitching staffs in the major leagues, play solid defense and are able to score runs, if not in large quantities, at least consistently enough to win ballgames. The statistics you quoted are A RESULT of what we already knew.

Brian26
10-11-2005, 02:08 PM
You're talking to people who watched all 162 games. WE ALREADY KNOW why they won 99 games and are in the ALCS. They have one of the best pitching staffs in the major leagues, play solid defense and are able to score runs, if not in large quantities, at least consistently enough to win ballgames. The statistics you quoted are A RESULT of what we already knew.

Take it easy on him, Two.

Theo Cambridge is trying to "make sense of it all" for us plebian White Sox fans.

Cambridge
10-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Theo Cambridge is trying to "make sense of it all" for us plebian White Sox fans.

You said it. I, meanwhile, have said no such thing.

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Does anyone have a link to 2005 records of each team by month?

Sure go here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/expanded.jsp

Use the drop down window on the upper right to select the time period you want.

scottjanssens
10-11-2005, 02:42 PM
If the games could be decided by who had the better stats then they would never have to set foot on the field.

Then where would the stats come from?

scottjanssens
10-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I think there's even a chance the Sox GM and his staff pay attention to them....

I have it on high authority the Sox scouts are big on EqA. I'm just wondering how well they calculate park factors in Latin America.