PDA

View Full Version : First the Poor, then the Crooked!

elrod
10-11-2005, 09:03 AM
We all saw this coming. On the eve of the White Sox's first ALCS since 1993 and best chance to get to the World Series in decades, the Chicago Tribune comes out with its "Black Sox Curse" article. Oh, how the Tribune company execs revel in the crooked futility of their South Side Stepchildren who don't even understand that they, like their lovable neighbors to the North, are cursed. Yes, a week after the bizarre and contradictory hit piece on the nettlesome unneighborly Sox in the blighted South Side, we get The Great Reminder that the White Sox threw a World Series, and won't "get beyond this curse" until they win another one. Yes, Tribune, you've done it again. You've shown what an embarrassment you are as a "home town" newspaper. I could see this article appearing in the Orange County Register as a pep piece for the local good guys. But why would the Trib run this schlock now? Oh yeah, they WANT us to fail. Screw them.

Hangar18
10-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Yup. They know what theyre doing. Notice how you didnt see a SIMILAR article before the Cubs/Marlins NLCS games, detailing how the Cubs are widely believed to have thrown a series also the year before ..........

TDog
10-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Even if there were a curse attached to the White Sox coming around this October, I have a feeling AJ would kick it in the groin.

voodoochile
10-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Even if there were a curse attached to the White Sox coming around this October, I have a feeling AJ would kick it in the groin.

Hey AJ, how's it feel to be cursed?

mdep524
10-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey AJ, how's it feel to be cursed? AJ: "Like this!"
Interviewer::cower: :thud:

AJ: :rolling:

maurice
10-11-2005, 03:11 PM
On the day that the Sox open the series to determine who will represent the AL in the World Series, the very 1st article in the news section of the Trib is about the 1919 Black Sox and possible "curses." The fact that this article was widely predicted does not lessen the utter stupidity and bias evidenced by this and other "history lesson" articles.

Ol' No. 2
10-11-2005, 03:25 PM
On the day that the Sox open the series to determine who will represent the AL in the World Series, the very 1st article in the news section of the Trib is about the 1919 Black Sox and possible "curses." The fact that this article was widely predicted does not lessen the utter stupidity and bias evidenced by this and other "history lesson" articles.This isn't bias as much as sheer stupidity. Curses are for losers. Ozzie said it best. The reason the Sox haven't won a World Series isn't because of a curse. It's because they had a lot of horse**** teams.

TheDarkGundam
10-11-2005, 03:54 PM
You know, i'm starting to think this "Tribune" everyone is talking about might be a little (dare I say) biased against the White Sox. But that wouldn't make any sense, it's not like they own a rival team and could make more money by making us look bad, right?

Paxson93
10-11-2005, 03:56 PM
The article itself is just kind of more a run down of the history of the Black Sox. It does not suggest a curse exists. I was actually repulsed by the headline and immediately emailed the author, who claimed to come from generations of Sox fans & said she doesn't believe in curses either. She unfortunately did not get to write her headline.

Whether you believe in curses or not "Reverse the Curse" is a very original and clever saying...

Doobie148
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
My brother sent an email to the person that wrote the article. Here's what he said:

"Melissa........Your article today was a good history lesson and I enjoyed readint it. However, with all do respect, we Sox fans don't believe in curses. Never have, never will. Please leave that for the other team, you know, the one that feels losing is "loveable."

Sox fans' sentiments can best be summed up this quote from our leader, Ozzie (from today's USA Today):

"It's no curse. It's horse—— teams."

It is, he says, the same for the Cubs and Red Sox. "A bunch of horse—— teams and they were blaming somebody," he says.

THAT'S the truth. Horse---- teams. This 2005 Sox team is not a horse--- team."

This is the response he got:

"I'm a longtime Sox fan as well and I don't write the headlines, copyeditors do. That's not how the story was assinged to me and that's not how I wrote it."

Didn't surprise me one bit.

maurice
10-11-2005, 04:09 PM
The author may very well be a wonderful Sox fan and the innocent victim of a bait-and-switch. My complaint (as usual) is directed at the Cubune editors who thought it would be a great idea to run a headline blaring the nonsensical claim that the Sox have a "curse" that needs to be overcome, along with a story on the 1919 Black Sox, as the very 1st item on page 1 of the news section on a day when the unbiased news is decidedly pro-Sox.

Further proof that the Trib's large anti-Sox cadre is not limited to the sports editors.

SOXPHILE
10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
The author may very well be a wonderful Sox fan and the innocent victim of a bait-and-switch. My complaint (as usual) is directed at the Cubune editors who thought it would be a great idea to run a headline blaring the nonsensical claim that the Sox have a "curse" that needs to be overcome, along with a story on the 1919 Black Sox, as the very 1st item on page 1 of the news section on a day when the unbiased news is decidedly pro-Sox.

Further proof that the Trib's large anti-Sox cadre is not limited to the sports editors.

The People call Dan McGrath to the stand. Dan McGrath, COME ON DOWN !

TommyJohn
10-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I remember in 1983 and 1993, the past Sox team that was most talked and
written about was the 1959 Go-Go Sox, which makes sense as they were
the last White Sox pennant winner, as well as the last Chicago pennant
winner. We are hearing barely a thing about them, it's all 1919. Gee, wonder
why.

And poor obsessive little Jay is obsessing over the fact that some Sox fans obsess about the media?