PDA

View Full Version : Am I evil here?

34rancher
10-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Yesterday when the Houston Astros were forced to use Roger Clemens to pinch hit with absolutely no one left in the bullpen, did anyone else think that the Braves should have drilled him and made him run the bases? Besides the irony of this guy being a career headhunter, wouldn't they still be playing today? Am I being too unethical, or do you try to win?

antitwins13
10-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Drill him.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Yesterday when the Houston Astros were forced to use Roger Clemens to pinch hit with absolutely no one left in the bullpen, did anyone else think that the Braves should have drilled him and made him run the bases? Besides the irony of this guy being a career headhunter, wouldn't they still be playing today? Am I being too unethical, or do you try to win?That would've changed nothing. Besides, the series ended with the next batter and with the way DeVine was pitching, everyone in Atlanta knew they were done when he got the ball. Now, all I have to do is wait for TaylorStSox to come after me on this thread.

34rancher
10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
That would've changed nothing. Besides, the series ended with the next batter and with the way DeVine was pitching, everyone in Atlanta knew they were done when he got the ball. Now, all I have to do is wait for TaylorStSox to come after me on this thread.
No it didn't Clemens came in to pinch hit in the bottom of the 15th inning. He pitched 3 innings. Why not drill him and make him run the bases? As old as he is, at worst it wears him out and he cannot retaliate, or else he gives you a man on. I say drill him, heck knock him out of the game.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 11:24 PM
No it didn't Clemens came in to pinch hit in the bottom of the 15th inning. He pitched 3 innings. Why not drill him and make him run the bases? As old as he is, at worst it wears him out and he cannot retaliate, or else he gives you a man on. I say drill him, heck knock him out of the game.Then what? Have your last reliever get thrown out and have to go to your beat up starters? It was a lose-lose situation.

gf2020
10-11-2005, 12:22 AM
No it didn't Clemens came in to pinch hit in the bottom of the 15th inning. He pitched 3 innings. Why not drill him and make him run the bases? As old as he is, at worst it wears him out and he cannot retaliate, or else he gives you a man on. I say drill him, heck knock him out of the game.

Doing so in his first at bat would have put the winning runner on second with no outs. That would be incredibly stupid baseball.

Chips
10-11-2005, 01:27 AM
You don't drill him.Two on, zero out, series over. They'd still be playing today if they didn't blow a 6-1 lead, give up a jack with two out in the 9th, score in the 15th? with two on and nobody out. Atlanta stopped playing like they wanted it, what else is new?

harwar
10-11-2005, 09:30 AM
What truely amazed me is that he was able to get the bunt down.I know pitcher practice the bunt a ot but there are everyday players that can't get a bunt down when you need one.

Stroker Ace
10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Give him one in the thigh. Hope that his emotions get the best of him in the top of the next inning and the Braves get a free baserunner.

bigfoot
10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
...... They'd still be playing today if they didn't blow a 6-1 lead, give up a jack with two out in the 9th, score in the 15th? with two on and nobody out. Atlanta stopped playing like they wanted it, what else is new?

Farnsworth strikes again!

SluggersAway
10-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Trying to win and being ethical are not mutually exclusive. I wouldn't say you are evil, but that action would be. Win fair and square.

chaerulez
10-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Yesterday when the Houston Astros were forced to use Roger Clemens to pinch hit with absolutely no one left in the bullpen, did anyone else think that the Braves should have drilled him and made him run the bases? Besides the irony of this guy being a career headhunter, wouldn't they still be playing today? Am I being too unethical, or do you try to win?

While I'm no fan of Clemens, how does hitting him automatically give the Braves a win if they hit him? That gives the Astros runners on first and second with no outs in that situation. If anything, they win because of it.

34rancher
10-12-2005, 10:05 AM
While I'm no fan of Clemens, how does hitting him automatically give the Braves a win if they hit him? That gives the Astros runners on first and second with no outs in that situation. If anything, they win because of it.
I understnad your comment as all the rest. In major league rules, what happens if hypothetically Clemens is unable to continue in the game and there is no one to replace him running at first? Do the Astros have to sacrifice the free base and have no one run? I know they would have to play the field with 8, but what about running?

I agree in no way would it have guarenteed them a win, but it might have forced an interesting pitching situation in the 16,17, and 18th innings. I agree with the ethical standards, but in reverse, do you think Clemens would throw at a guy? I mean this is the guy that threw a bat a guy and is one of the most notorious headhunters in American League history.

StockdaleForVeep
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Why would anyone intentionally bean clemens, his track record doesnt mean anything. Hell pedro was considered a headhunter in the al and he's been batting the past season fine in the NL