PDA

View Full Version : **official** let's find out who we're playing tues gamethread

JohnBasedowYoda
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
aight game on yanks vs angels

JohnBasedowYoda
10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
crap sorry didn't see this was already a thread.

i bow my head in shame

santo=dorf
10-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Jaret Wright is chillin' in Chicago in case the Yanks win tonight.

Go Yanks! I want to face Wright in game 1. :yup:

whtsx1959
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Colon is out!

robertks61
Colon out of the game. Big break for the Yanks...

SoxSpeed22
Colon just left the game in the 2nd. Ervin Santana is in.

elrod
Colon is leaving the game in the second game with serious back pain. Sounds like he might be done for the season. Ervin "Johan" Santana coming in.

cbone
This has huge implications.

whtsx1959
10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Ervin is the one who shut us down the first game we played against them this year.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Colon is leaving the game in the second game with serious back pain. Sounds like he might be done for the season. Ervin "Johan" Santana coming in.

This is what I've been talking about all week! Go Angels!!! Games 1 and 2 would be taken by Paul Byrd and Jarod Washburn. John Lackey would probably have Game 3, and Game 4 ???????? Their pitching would be totally ****ed up if they are able to pull this out and the Angels are ripe for the picking.

Let's go Halos!!!

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Ervin was going to be the Game One pitcher. Now he isn't. He won't be available until Game Four now (unless Colon is OK).

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
This is what I've been talking about all week! Go Angels!!! Games 1 and 2 would be taken by Paul Byrd and Jarod Washburn. John Lackey would probably have Game 3, and Game 4 ???????? Their pitching would be totally ****ed up if they are able to pull this out and the Angels are ripe for the picking.

Let's go Halos!!!

I'm starting to back the Angels now. But this won't affect the Angel lineup that crushes our starters.

Kogs35
10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/932683008 (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062857/K=krispy+kreme/v=2/SID=e/l=II/R=185/SS=p/OID=d8b4528100db1ffa/SIG=1eqs4itvs/EXP=1129078019/*http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dkrispy%2Bkreme%26ei%3DUTF-8%26imgsz%3Dall%26fr%3Dslv1-fp%26b%3D181&h=240&w=320&imgcurl=cheezbro.tripod.com%2Fkrispy_kreme.gif&imgurl=cheezbro.tripod.com%2Fkrispy_kreme.gif&size=206.3kB&name=krispy_kreme.gif&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcheezbro.tripod.com%2F&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcheezbro.tripod.com%2F&p=krispy+kreme&type=gif&no=185&tt=11,746&ei=UTF-8)
"bartolo bartolo bartolo did i tell u too many dounuts was bad for u?"

Dick Allen
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
His excessive poundage couldn't have helped the situation any.

brewcrew/chisox
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Is it me or does anyone else think Santana is getting squeezed right now

JRIG
10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm starting to back the Angels now. But this won't affect the Angel lineup that crushes our starters.

And Bengie Molina re-injured his elbow last night on Posada's "slide"? This just keeps getting better.

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Santana is getting squeezed. But he's missing outright too.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Is it me or does anyone else think Santana is getting squeezed right now

I've noticed in every postseason game I've seen this year, the strike zones are smaller than a tea cup.

The_Floridian
10-10-2005, 08:54 PM
This would be kind of storybook if Santana could pull it off. You know, 22 year old rookie, had to come in for the ailing starter to face the feared New York Yankees, blah blah blah.

I think we're facing the Yankees though. Even without the pitching situation, the Angels just look totally flat.

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Paul Byrd getting loose in the pen too! I hope the Angels pummel Mussina so we can get Small and Johnson out there too.

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Why is all this so difficult to figure out. 1st and 3rd with one out you bring the corners in and play the middle infielders at DP depth. Now that Jeter has two strikes, you play the corners at even depth.

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Inflamed right shoulder for Colon. Not his back after all. I didn't know he had shoulder problems.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Paul Byrd getting loose in the pen too! I hope the Angels pummel Mussina so we can get Small and Johnson out there too.

Don't forget now, Mussina's got a bum elbow himself. He's been getting crushed regularly in the last month of the season. So even if the Yanks push across another run here, the game is far from over.

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
2-0 on long sac fly to right.

elrod
10-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Don't forget now, Mussina's got a bum elbow himself. He's been getting crushed regularly in the last month of the season. So even if the Yanks push across another run here, the game is far from over.

Apparently the long rest in LA has helped his elbow calm down. That's the Yankees are saying.

FJA
10-10-2005, 09:00 PM

Exactly ... and Mussina's been just sitting there for a while. I have a feeling this game is about to get real ugly, real fast, with lots of pitches thrown by lots of pitchers.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Apparently the long rest in LA has helped his elbow calm down. That's the Yankees are saying.

Yeah, even though getting shut down for three weeks in September didn't do the trick, three days in Anaheim somehow is a magical elixur. Gotta think that's a cover to convince the Angels everything is OK. I just can't believe all the sudden everything's fine.

Banix12
10-10-2005, 09:04 PM

I know Jaret Wright is here in Chicago in case the yanks win but man who have the Angels got if Byrd goes out there? They will have used 4 of their starters in 2 days and Washburn is still sick.

This game has got a huge smile on my face right now. Now come back and tie em' Angels! I want that record for longest postseason game broken tonight!

Gavin
If Bubba Crosby plays tomorrow I might have to boo him...
LOUDLY.

Jjav829
Tough situation for the Angels right now. They want to be in decent shape for a possible ALCS game 1 tomorrow night, but they have to do whatever they can to win tonight first. I would think Washburn will probably be the best man out of their bullpen. If he has recovered enough from his throat infection, he'd start tomorrow night. They need Santana to give them 2 innings without blowing this thing up. Working backwards, they could use K-Rod for the 9th and Shields could probably give them two innings, the 7th and 8th. That leaves the middle three innings open for them to mix and match Donnelly, Escobar and Byrd if needed. Of course if Santana settles down and gets out then they are in much better shape. Of course if this game goes to extra innings then they are in a whole lot of trouble. Assuming they win in 9 inning, I'd guess their rotation would set up with Washburn going in game 1, Byrd in game 2, Lackey in game 3 and Santana in game 4. That could change if Colon suddenly gets healthy.

As for the Yankees, unless Mussina really implodes he will likely go 5 innings. Rivera makes every game 8 innings so they would only need to fill three innings. They could probably combine Gordon and Rivera to get the last 9 outs. If Mussina gets lit up then Torre is looking at Wang or RJ pitching in relief. I didn't hear about Wright starting game 1, but if that's true then their rotation would probably set up with Wright in game 1, RJ in game 2, Chacon in game 3 and Mussina in game 4.

Jjav829
10-10-2005, 09:07 PM
2-1 game as Anderson goes deep. Molina singles on the next pitch and the Angels are coming back.

JRIG
And here come the Angels, as predicted. Mussina's about to get crushed....I believe.

The_Floridian
Exactly ... and Mussina's been just sitting there for a while. I have a feeling this game is about to get real ugly, real fast, with lots of pitches thrown by lots of pitchers.

Here's to psychics! :gulp:

itsnotrequired
10-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Listening to Buck and McCarver is like listening to a heavenly choir when compared to the ESPN wonks calling the Sox series.

elrod
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
I doubt Torre would start Jaret Wright tomorrow. It's got to be Chien-Ming Wang. Wright has been AWFUL this year. Wang has been pretty good. Another good option would be Aaron Small.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
And here come the Angels, as predicted. Mussina's about to get crushed....I believe.

As I was saying....

3-2 Halos!!

Let's Go Angels, Let's Go!!

elrod
10-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Ugly collision between Sheffield and Crosby in CF and the ball gets down for a triple. 3-2 Angels. Sheffield is limping.

elrod
10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I'd love to see a fistfight break out in the dugout between Shef and Crosby. Just think of the NYPost headline.

cheeses_h_rice
10-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I was hoping the Yanks would win, just so the White Sox would have a chance of doing what PHG suggested -- ending Cleveland, Boston and NYC's seasons in the same year -- but witnessing the Angels having to claw through so many injuries, it might be an easier road, relatively speaking, through Anaheim.

3-2 Halos.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I was hoping the Yanks would win, just so the White Sox would have a chance of doing what PHG suggested -- ending Cleveland, Boston and NYC's seasons in the same year -- but witnessing the Angels having to claw through so many injuries, it might be an easier road, relatively speaking, through Anaheim.

3-2 Halos.

With my elation over the Angels possibly moving on here with a victory, I feel I must clarify. By no means do I believe Anaheim will be a cakewalk. Both these teams are difficult opponents. But with the state of the Angels pitching staff, and the injury to Bengie Molina, I just think it would be in the Sox' best interest to face a banged-up Angels squad.

FJA
10-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I doubt Torre would start Jaret Wright tomorrow. It's got to be Chien-Ming Wang. Wright has been AWFUL this year. Wang has been pretty good. Another good option would be Aaron Small.

I agree ... I think Wright is in Chicago for a Yankee worst-case scenario, meaning, the Yankees have to use Mussina (obviously), Johnson, Small and Wang in an extra inning scenario. If Torre can somehow win a nine-inning game with Mussina, Gordon and Rivera, watch him not even put Wright on the ALCS roster.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 09:24 PM
witnessing the Angels having to claw through so many injuries, it might be an easier road, relatively speaking, through Anaheim.

3-2 Halos.I would rather win cleanly and without any excuses. Because everyone here knows the media won't think twice about using those excuses. Let's beat the best team tonight.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2005, 09:25 PM

3-2 Halos.

Don't worry, cheeses. Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt from the umpires like the New York Yankees in an elimination game, especially in the late innings.

Jeter will stand there in the box letting pitch after pitch sail by, practically daring the umpire to call any of them a strike. "You can't call that a strike. I'm Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees! You don't know what you're talking about!!!"

Pretty soon the strike zone is the size of a teacup and another miraculous Yankee victory is assured.
:cool:

Bum
10-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, now we've got a couple of banged up Yankees out in right center...

Regarding the pitchers, they might put Wright on the roster for us. Most of our pop is from the right side. They could get away with just one of Embree/Leiter.

elrod
10-10-2005, 09:34 PM
How injured is Molina? He's playing right now and doing just fine.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 09:37 PM
How injured is Molina? He's playing right now and doing just fine.

He hurt his elbow after being HBP in Game 3. And Molina says he re-injured it last night during Posada's "slide" at home. So he's still playing, nut I'll take any advantage I can get.

elrod
10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
He hurt his elbow after being HBP in Game 3. And Molina says he re-injured it last night during Posada's "slide" at home. So he's still playing, nut I'll take any advantage I can get.

I knew he hurt it, but he seems to be doing just fine.

jfinsocal
10-10-2005, 09:40 PM
This could be a four hour game even if it doesn't go into extra innings.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Trouble-a-brewin' for Mussina. 1st and 3rd, no one out and Garret Anderson comin' up.

FJA
10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Trouble-a-brewin' for Mussina. 1st and 3rd, no one out and Garret Anderson comin' up.

Johnson and Leiter warming up.

Viva Medias B's
10-10-2005, 09:45 PM
4-2 Halos. Bad throw by Bubba Crosby.

Bum
10-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Molina's got a bruised left elbow. This time of year, you play through it. I don't think that little wound is going to decide their season.

Now on the other hand, if Colon's shoulder injury is serious, that's a big blow to the Angels. You lose a #1 Cy Young type starter in the playoffs, and suddenly every one of the pitching matchups tips to the other side.

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Johnson and Leiter warming up.

That's s sight I'd love to see next series!!

Seriously, I think the Sox will be favored to win the ALCS.

cburns
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Nice play Giambi...soooo who do you guys want to face in the ALCS, Yanks or Halos?

Jjav829
10-10-2005, 09:51 PM
What the hell was Giambi thinking? :?:

5-2 Angels as the Yankees are imploding here.

Viva Medias B's
I wonder if the Boss is looking for pink slips.

The_Floridian
Nice throw Giambi. Musta thought Sid Bream was coming down the line.

Love that Yankee defense.

FJA
10-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Molina's got a bruised left elbow. This time of year, you play through it. I don't think that little wound is going to decide their season.

Now on the other hand, if Colon's shoulder injury is serious, that's a big blow to the Angels. You lose a #1 Cy Young type starter in the playoffs, and suddenly every one of the pitching matchups tips to the other side.

I still might want to face the Yankees, though, as those pitching matchups would already tip in our favor, and they'd be coming into Chicago about as decimated as we could hope.

Watching this Angels lineup, I'm a little more worried about their style of play than I am about the Yankees, who often collapse around good pitching.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Is is just me or is that all of the pitches that became Halo hits were right down the middle of the plate?

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I still might want to face the Yankees, though, as those pitching matchups would already tip in our favor, and they'd be coming into Chicago about as decimated as we could hope.

Watching this Angels lineup, I'm a little more worried about their style of play than I am about the Yankees.

Sox in 6 no matter who they play. :cool:

FJA
10-10-2005, 09:54 PM
By the way, this game is almost two hours old, and we're still in the 3rd.

itsnotrequired
10-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Is is just me or is that all of the pitches that became Halo hits were right down the middle of the plate?

:tool

"The Yankees are sacrificing themselves so the better team will face the Sox. A World Series with the Sox must be avoided at all costs!"

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 09:55 PM
And now the Big Ugly is in. Heck, I'd love to get NY tomorrow.

Chisox003
10-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Sox in 6 no matter who they play. :cool:
Ya this is almost gettin ridiculous....

I mean, both teams, let alone pitching staffs, are going to be dead after this series ... Colon for the Angels might be done, and Jaret Wright COULD be starting Game 1 tomorrow night...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, but whatever happens the rest of this game bodes well for our Sox

jfinsocal
10-10-2005, 09:58 PM
By the way, this game is almost two hours old, and we're still in the 3rd.

Let's say the game ends at 9 PM and another hour to the airport leaving at 10 PM. Three and a half hours to OHare getting in at 3:30 at the earliest. Another hour to get to the hotel at maybe 4:30 AM. And they did this last night as well.

What time is batting practice on Tuesday? The opponent is going to be exhausted.

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, but whatever happens the rest of this game bodes well for our Sox

Like lots of runs and lots of pitching changes. This could go 4 hours, even w/o extras.

Viva Medias B's
10-10-2005, 10:00 PM
If this game really drags on and/or the Yankees come back to tie the game resulting in extra innings, I wonder if Uncle Bud will delay the start of our game.

Bum
10-10-2005, 10:01 PM
That was a nice play by Matsui, but seriously, Angels fans need to get some lessons from Steve Bartman on how to go after a foul ball.

Brian26
10-10-2005, 10:04 PM
If this game really drags on and/or the Yankees come back to tie the game resulting in extra innings, I wonder if Uncle Bud will delay the start of our game.

We're playing tomorrow at 7:00pm. It's a done deal.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 10:05 PM
We're playing tomorrow at 7:00pm. It's a done deal.

Yes, and Wednesday's Game Time is now 7pm officially, per mlb.com

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Even if Bud were to push the ALCS a day, either team would still be starting out with a spent bullpen here. Interesting move by Torre to go with the Big Unit to save it all and redeem himself. Barto is obviously hurting, wonder if we'd see him at all in the ALCS.

FJA
10-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Santana looks like he's dealing now, so it probably means Byrd tomorrow if the Angels advance.

Anyone have an update on Washburn? I heard earlier that Angels doctors think he has strep throat and he's been kept away from the team, even flying back from NY after them.

Bum
10-10-2005, 10:08 PM
If the Angels advance, and Washburn can't go, they might have put Escobar back into the rotation for game #2

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Even if Bud were to push the ALCS a day, either team would still be starting out with a spent bullpen here. Interesting move by Torre to go with the Big Unit to save it all and redeem himself. Barto is obviously hurting, wonder if we'd see him at all in the ALCS.

It's really too late to change the game date. They might push it back an hour I but that would be the most they could do. Plus I don't think this game will go into extras. I think the Yanks are done.

Brian26
10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Anyone else hate these in-game interviews with the manager? It just seems like they should save this stuff for after the game.

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 10:15 PM
There's some speculation that they might flip the NLCS and ALCS games, which would totally piss off both Ozzie and Garner.

Whoever wins tonight will have had just had a brutal schedule to get to an ALCS opener tomorrow night: game last night won by Yankees, red eye from NY last night and maybe 6 hours sleep today, playing the deciding 3 hour + game tonight, dash to the airport and fly to O'Hare to get to a hotel room by maybe 6:30-7:00 AM, get a few hours sleep before heading to the Cell by late afternoon, early evening ...whew.

FJA
10-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Would love to see Santana get into trouble here and the Halos have to start using the rest of the bullpen (though I doubt Byrd) in the 5th.

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
A Rod hit by pitch. hell, he's hitting .150 in the playoffs with 0 RBIs. Throw strikes to this guy. He only hits in a blowout. Ooops now Giambi is on. Maybe the Yanks AREN'T done

santo=dorf
10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
If the Angels advance, and Washburn can't go, they might have put Escobar back into the rotation for game #2

Good.

Historically we have owned Escobar and I'd rather face him inthe rotation than out of the bullpen.

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
that was a big pop up on Matsui there, cmon Yankees, get into their pen a little more please

The_Floridian
Would love to see Santana get into trouble here and the Halos have to start using the rest of the bullpen (though I doubt Byrd) in the 5th.

The Angels bullpen will definitely see action tonight. Just a matter of time.

Byrd is not an option for them. He is absolutely their Game 1 starter. There's no one else. But every other pitcher in the pen is a possibility.

cheeses_h_rice
There's some speculation that they might flip the NLCS and ALCS games, which would totally piss off both Ozzie and Garner.

Whoever wins tonight will have had just had a brutal schedule to get to an ALCS opener tomorrow night: game last night won by Yankees, red eye from NY last night and maybe 6 hours sleep today, playing the deciding 3 hour + game tonight, dash to the airport and fly to O'Hare to get to a hotel room by maybe 6:30-7:00 AM, get a few hours sleep before heading to the Cell by late afternoon, early evening ...whew.

Both ALCS and NLCS games 1 are tomorrow night at 7pm. It's been confirmed.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Cano ran outta the baseline. Has this ever happened?

The_Floridian
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Joe West called out Cano for being out of the baseline.

As I recall, it was Joe West who called out A-Rod on the ball slapping incident in ALCS Game 6 last year.

Do I have that right?

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Really? I thought NL began Wednesday.

Kogs35
10-10-2005, 10:24 PM

i would check that again NLCS Begins on wed night as split national game :wink:

JRIG
10-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Really? I thought NL began Wednesday.

That is correct. And both Game 2 of the ALCS and Game 1 of the NLCS are Wednesday at 7pm.

Flight #24
10-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Any update on Colon's shoulder? Sounded serious, and as Sox fans, we know that there are rarely any minor shoulder injuries. But Bartolo's a gamer and could come back to pitch the weekend.

Still, here's hoping they hold on. Suddenly that vaunted "good pitching and D like the White Sox but a better O" is looking more like "Red Sox, but with more offensive balance".

JRIG
10-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Cano ran outta the baseline. Has this ever happened?

All the time. Or did you mean in the playoffs?

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 10:27 PM
This last inning has gone way too fast for me. :mad:

Johnson is really cruising.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Any update on Colon's shoulder? Sounded serious, and as Sox fans, we know that there are rarely any minor shoulder injuries. But Bartolo's a gamer and could come back to pitch the weekend.

Still, here's hoping they hold on. Suddenly that vaunted "good pitching and D like the White Sox but a better O" is looking more like "Red Sox, but with more offensive balance".

I guess he could pitch Game 3 or 4, if somewhat healthy. But there's almost no chance we see him twice in the series now, I would imagine.

cheeses_h_rice
10-10-2005, 10:28 PM
That is correct. And both Game 2 of the ALCS and Game 1 of the NLCS are Wednesday at 7pm.

Oops, I got my games mixed up. There was a chance that either the AL or NL game would be a 3pm start, but they confirmed both games would be at the same time...on Wednesday.

:redface:

JorgeFabregas
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Is Colon's injury a good argument for having McCarthy on the roster? Isn't it nice to have a backup plan?

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
I guess he could pitch Game 3 or 4, if somewhat healthy. But there's almost no chance we see him twice in the series now, I would imagine.

It's not looking good for Barto, he skipped the NY trip, came home to LALA land a few days ago to rest up and even after that he left after barely more than an inning tonight. I would have to rate him as questionable for a late ALCS appearance at best

Banix12
10-10-2005, 10:34 PM

And if he does play against the white sox I prescribe using the tactic the cubs used against David Wells when he was a white sox. Bunt, Bunt, Bunt until his back goes out.

chisoxfanatic
10-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Is Colon's injury a good argument for having McCarthy on the roster? Isn't it nice to have a backup plan?

Does the name Orlando Hernandez ring a bell in your mind?

Flight #24
10-10-2005, 10:41 PM

I'd be happy with Lackey x1, Santana x1, Colon x0. I'll take my chances with Washburn/Byrd x2.

Or just once each for Lackey, Santana, Wasburn, & Byrd enroute to 12 in a row heading into the WS!

Jjav829
10-10-2005, 10:46 PM
I'd be happy with Lackey x1, Santana x1, Colon x0. I'll take my chances with Washburn/Byrd x2.

Or just once each for Lackey, Santana, Wasburn, & Byrd enroute to 12 in a row heading into the WS!

Lackey will go in game 3, meaning he'd pitch a potential game 7. That's about all I know for sure. Lackey started yesterday so he could pitch Friday on normal rest. As for the rest of their rotation, I have no idea. It all depends on the health of Jarrod Washburn. If it's true that he isn't flying with the team then I can't imagine Washburn going tomorrow. If he recovers in time for Wednesday then he would go in that game. It certainly seems at this point that Byrd will start tomorrow. Game 4 would then be either Colon, if he somehow recovers in time, or Santana.

WikdChiSoxFan
10-10-2005, 10:48 PM
I turned on the game a little late, but the announcers mentioned that he had to leave the game in the second with an injured arm?

Anyone see how bad it was? Any other info?

This could be good news....but i ain't jumpin for joy yet.

cheeses_h_rice
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Jeter homers to make it 5-3.

It's very curious, this feeling I have: I'm actually rooting for the Yanks.

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Jeter homers. The lead is two. Time to go to the bullpen. :cool:

Banix12
10-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm actually quite impressed with how much the Angels have gotten out of Santana tonight. I know he has a lot of talent but in what was a tough situation he has made the most of it.

Deuce
10-10-2005, 10:55 PM

I know what you mean. My wife said the same thing last night. I don't really know who to root for, but I would love it if this game went 18 innings. Lets tie it up, Yanks!!!

Deuce

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I turned on the game a little late, but the announcers mentioned that he had to leave the game in the second with an injured arm?

Anyone see how bad it was? Any other info?

This could be good news....but i ain't jumpin for joy yet.

1.Inflammation of the shoulder. Will be examined again tomorrow.

2. God, when is the last time AROD got a clutch hit?

FJA
10-10-2005, 10:57 PM

Same here. I don't look forward to this Angels lineup or their bullpen, no matter who is starting.

Give me the Yankees, their decimated starting pitching situation, their bad bullpen, and their lineup, which seems to shut down every time it sees good pitching.

Not to mention some awful, awful Yankee defense in this game.

goofymsfan
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
1.Inflammation of the shoulder. Will be examined again tomorrow.

2. God, when is the last time AROD got a clutch hit?

I'd rather see hell freeze over before he gets another clutch hit.

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Beating the dead horse department: How big would an AROD hit have been now that Giambi has doubled?

BA: .143
RBI 0
Two very costly defensive mistakes.

gf2020
10-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I am rooting for the Yanks until they take the lead and then I'll root for the Angels.

It's so great having taken care of our business.

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Is there a way both teams could lose tonight?

I really don't care, but if I did, I would (but can't seem to) root for the Yankees because on paper, they do look the weaker team, and secondly, there's just so much history of the Sox finishing 2nd behind them most of the 60s, having 1/2 the south side hit men bought by them, and well, damn, they're just the Yankees and your're supposed to hate them, so I'd much rather have the pleasure of going through Gotham's Yankee pinstripes to get to the World Series.

On the other hand, if the Angels win, there's a reasonable chance I could figure out a way to get to LALA land for one of the Sox games, as its only 400 miles from here.

CYGarland20
10-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I want the Yanks. They look very beatable to me.

Banix12
10-10-2005, 11:12 PM
I want the Yanks. They look very beatable to me.

Unfortunately they look very beatable to the Angels right now too.

CYGarland20
10-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately they look very beatable to the Angels right now too. :(:

PeteWard
10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
With Boston out and NY just about through, we Sox fans have to prepare our stomachs for a new kind of nausea.

Are you happy there are no east coast teams in the Final 4? Sure, so am I. But Fox and ESPN will need a new angle (because the game itself is not good enough, you see). So prepare yourself for any or all of the following:

1) The curse of Shoeless Joe.

2) All Clemens, all the time. Ack!

3) The cerebral Tony LaRussa.

But also get ready to watch the Sox kick more butt. :bandance:

Banix12
10-10-2005, 11:18 PM
With Boston out and NY just about through, we Sox fans have to prepare our stomachs for a new kind of nausea.

Are you happy there are no east coast teams in the Final 4? Sure, so am I. But Fox and ESPN will need a new angle (because the game itself is not good enough, you see). So prepare yourself for any or all of the following:

1) The curse of Shoeless Joe.

2) All Clemens, all the time. Ack!

3) The cerebral Tony LaRussa.

But also get ready to watch the Sox kick more butt. :bandance:

I'm already all prepared for the curse of shoeless joe. I would also suspect a bunch of the national league games being made the primetime games on days when both NL and AL play, whereas if it were the Yankees no way the games are not in Primetime.

The irritating thing is going to be when the sox and angels winning will be called flukes since "the yankees and red sox were obviously better teams"

TDog
10-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I got off work earlier than usual tonight and wanted to listen to the game on the radio, but the station that carries night baseball postseason games has some stupid football game on.

jfinsocal
10-10-2005, 11:25 PM
I got off work earlier than usual tonight and wanted to listen to the game on the radio, but the station that carries night baseball postseason games has some stupid football game on.

You gotta get XM, you have a choice of the ESPN feed or the Angels feed.

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm already all prepared for the curse of shoeless joe. I would also suspect a bunch of the national league games being made the primetime games on days when both NL and AL play, whereas if it were the Yankees no way the games are not in Primetime.

The irritating thing is going to be when the sox and angels winning will be called flukes since "the yankees and red sox were obviously better teams"

LA and Chicago are the #2 and #3 markets respectively. They get prime time over Houston and St. Louis. BTW, the schedule is already out.

Tuesday: ALCS 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday: ALCS/NLCS 7:00 p.m. (split feed)
Thursday: NLCS 7:00 p.m.
Friday: ALCS 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: NLCS 3:00 p.m., ALCS 6:30 p.m.
Sunday: NLCS 3:00 p.m., ALCS 6:30 p.m.
Monday: NLCS 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday: ALCS 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday: NLCS 3:00 p.m., ALCS 7:00 p.m.
Thursday: NLCS 7:00 p.m.

TDog
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
You gotta get XM, you have a choice of the ESPN feed or the Angels feed.

There is no way I'm paying for radio.

soxwon
10-10-2005, 11:36 PM
so
tues its Contreras-Byrd
wed Buehrle-Washburn
fri- Garland-Lackey
sat Garcia-Colon

Jjav829
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
9th inning...here we go. 3 outs and we play the Angels.

Jeter leads it off with a single. Can Arod be clutch?

Banix12
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
so who is taking odds on an AROD clutch hit.

Kogs35
10-10-2005, 11:38 PM

nop

elrod
so
tues its Contreras-Byrd
wed Buehrle-Washburn
fri- Garland-Lackey
sat Garcia-Colon

Are you sure Washburn will be ready on Wednesday? Sounds like his throat infection is bad. And I bet Santana would go in Game Four and not Colon.

Jjav829
so who is taking odds on an AROD clutch hit.

Are double plays clutch? :redneck

He is going to get roasted in New York for his performance in the ALDS.

elrod
10-10-2005, 11:39 PM
ARod shows why he is overpaid. Lots of big numbers, but no clutch hits. Compare him to Jeter or Williams and you'll see why he'll never win over New York.

TDog
10-10-2005, 11:39 PM

Apparently not.

FJA
10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
so
tues its Contreras-Byrd
wed Buehrle-Washburn
fri- Garland-Lackey
sat Garcia-Colon

If the Halos hold on, who knows. You probably have Byrd and Lackey right, but Colon is iffy at best. As for Washburn, he's apparently being kept away from the team right now, so who knows when he goes.

shaunburnette
10-10-2005, 11:41 PM
keep the pitch count up k-rod!

Banix12
Are you sure Washburn will be ready on Wednesday? Sounds like his throat infection is bad. And I bet Santana would go in Game Four and not Colon.

Yeah, he was so bad today he didn't fly on the team flight for fear of being contagious. At best Washburn pitches game 3 as I think he is staying in LA to limit his travel.

Byrd game 1
Lackey game 2
Colon/Washburn/Santana game 3 (whichever of the first two is healthy or if neither, Santana)

elrod
I'm not overly impressed with K-Rod, by the way. A lot of hangers. He's been tagged quite a bit lately, actually. Of course he could show his 2002 self again next round.

nodiggity59
10-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Sheff can be clutch at times......

elrod
10-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah, he was so bad today he didn't fly on the team flight for fear of being contagious. At best Washburn pitches game 3 as I think he is staying in LA to limit his travel.

Byrd game 1
Lackey game 2
Colon/Washburn/Santana game 3 (whichever of the first two is healthy or if neither, Santana)

Lackey on three days rest again? That won't be easy.

CYGarland20

Byrd game 1
Lackey game 2
Colon/Washburn/Santana game 3 (whichever of the first two is healthy or if neither, Santana)Lackey on 2 days rest? I highly doubt it.

elrod
I find myself rooting for the Angels here, for some reason. And I'm getting nervous.

elrod
10-10-2005, 11:44 PM
One strike away. Donnie Moore, RIP...

Flight #24
10-10-2005, 11:44 PM

Byrd game 1
Lackey game 2

I highly highly doubt Lackey pitches Wednesday-Sunday-Wednesday. That's just begging for an injury to a key guy for them long-term. If Washburn isn't going to be available, they'll have to find someone to add to the roster.

As I type this, the Spankees threatening to make this interesting....We could get that extra inning game!

house215
10-10-2005, 11:45 PM
lets hope this game goes into extra innings...

goofymsfan
I find myself rooting for the Angels here, for some reason. And I'm getting nervous.

you aren't the only one.

Kogs35
its over :(

elrod
10-10-2005, 11:46 PM
WOW! What an ending. Great play by Erstad at 1B. Goodbye Yankees and your $205 million payroll.

BRING ON THE ANGELS!!!

cburns
Erstad play reminds me of Konerko's.

Flight #24
Man, we'd better win tomorrow. Can you imagine the shot of adrenaline the Halos get from winning Gm1 under such dire circumstances?

FJA
Do these Yankees remind anyone else of corpseball circa 2003?

Banix12
10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I highly highly doubt Lackey pitches Wednesday-Sunday-Wednesday. That's just begging for an injury to a key guy for them long-term. If Washburn isn't going to be available, they'll have to find someone to add to the roster.

As I type this, the Spankees threatening to make this interesting....We could get that extra inning game!

Do you see them having any other choice than going to Lackey? The only guys they can add to the roster are Esteban Yan and Jason Christenson, both relievers. I don't think they have a Brandon McCarthy sitting around because they just used theirs tonight in Santana.

Right now they only have 3 healthy starters, Byrd, Lackey and Santana. Escobar might be able to start at some point but he's not stretched out. I just don't see washburn or colon being ready for game 2.

FJA
10-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Do you see them having any other choice than going to Lackey? The only guys they can add to the roster are Esteban Yan and Jason Christenson, both relievers. I don't think they have a Brandon McCarthy sitting around because they just used theirs tonight in Santana.

Right now they only have 3 healthy starters, Byrd, Lackey and Santana. Escobar might be able to start at some point but he's not stretched out. I just don't see washburn or colon being ready for game 2.

McCarver inferred that Yan and Christenson might be added to the roster to compensate for the Washburn issue.

TDog
10-10-2005, 11:50 PM
So do the ALDS losers, the co-champions of the AL East, play a consolation round for fans who can't get enough of this storied baseball rivalry? ESPN would be there.

ChiSoxGirl
10-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, I'm angry. :angry: Though I hope I'm wrong, this frightens me immensely. :cower:

dcb33
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Are double plays clutch? :redneck

:payrod
"I don't care about the money anymore. I just want to win."

koch44
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, I'm angry. :angry: Though I hope I'm wrong, this frightens me immensely. :cower:

I'm not scared. Before that fluke sweep in September, we split the games in Edison Field, and then we beat them 2-3 at the Cell.

GO SOX!!

The_Floridian
10-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Bring on the Angels!

I think if, at the beginning of the season someone had told us the Sox would be in the ALCS against a team as beat up and exhausted as the Angels are going to be, we'd have all taken it.

So I'll take it now. Let's go Sox!!!

TDog
10-10-2005, 11:53 PM

Fenway is scarier than the former Disney baseball theme park. The White Sox survived.

Banix12
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
I hope they get nice and drunk during the celebration

mike squires
10-10-2005, 11:56 PM
I had a difficult time "cheering" for either team. I'm not sure who I wanted to face...With Colone out, Molina banged up, a guy coming in to pitch looooong relief...you would like to think I'd say the Angles but I'm not so sure...

SOX ADDICT '73
10-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Yes...that's it, Angels...drink lots and lots of champagne...party it up...stay out until the wee hours...scream and yell and celebrate...you deserve it...that's right, open a few more bottles...no no, don't let any spill on the carpet...it tastes so wonderful...enjoy your victory...drink...drink...

dcb33
10-11-2005, 12:00 AM
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/tex/photo/ph_coach_mugshot_showalter.jpg
"Mwahahahahahahahahaha! How do you like them apples? Better luck next year, New York!"

whitesoxfan
10-11-2005, 12:02 AM
well im kinda glad the Angels won, mainly because I loooooooooove seeing the Yankees get out early in the postseason. Not seeing Colon until Game 4 though is a very nice feeling. The 1st two games in this series are going to set everything up and I feel really good about the first 2 games.

SoxSpeed22
10-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Paul Byrd will get the ball for game 1.
Either Escobar or Washburn may get it for game 2.
Lackey will have game 3.
Santana will get game 4.
This only happens if Colon's injuries are too serious.

Banix12
10-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Looking at the Angels season stats they had three other guys not on the roster (I think) who made spot starts this season, Kevin Gregg, Chris Bootcheck, and Joe Saunders. None of which look to be realistic options to make a spot start in the playoffs. I'll be really interested to see who they announce as the game 2 starter. Cause right now it looks like pray Washburn makes a quick recovery or Lackey.

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 12:11 AM

They have the choice to go with a far inferior player, or to try a "bullpen start" using 2-3 middle relievers. Both options would almost certainly be preferable to putting a young, core player at a serious risk of injury. This isn't a starter coming in to pitch 1-2 innings on 2-3 days rest, this is seriously overtaxing a starter on extremely short rest. Lackey threw 98 pitches on Wednesday. He came back on short rest to throw 78 on Sunday. Now, on unheard of short rest, they'd have him throw another 70-90? No chance. The only way Lackey starts is if they give him a pitch count of say 30. And I'd bet Scoscia would rather have him rested an go on Friday than risk injury for 30 pitches.

Banix12
10-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Paul Byrd will get the ball for game 1.
Either Escobar or Washburn may get it for game 2.
Lackey will have game 3.
Santana will get game 4.
This only happens if Colon's injuries are too serious.

Do you think Escobar is really an option? He's already pitched a couple games in a row, he's not stretched out to start, and would be going on one day rest

Banix12
10-11-2005, 12:17 AM
They have the choice to go with a far inferior player, or to try a "bullpen start" using 2-3 middle relievers. Both options would almost certainly be preferable to putting a young, core player at a serious risk of injury. This isn't a starter coming in to pitch 1-2 innings on 2-3 days rest, this is seriously overtaxing a starter on extremely short rest. Lackey threw 98 pitches on Wednesday. He came back on short rest to throw 78 on Sunday. Now, on unheard of short rest, they'd have him throw another 70-90? No chance. The only way Lackey starts is if they give him a pitch count of say 30. And I'd bet Scoscia would rather have him rested an go on Friday than risk injury for 30 pitches.

What I'm saying is that unless Washburn somehow makes a quick recovery by tomorrow night, Lackey is their most rested starter, even though he would be on short rest. They might try a bullpen day and maybe go 2 innings a pitcher for 8 innings but these are the playoffs and sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

If he goes I don't think he goes past five innings, but i'm just saying if they are going with a starter he might be the only available option for game 2

shoota II
10-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Let's go Halos!!!

I still would rather play the Yankees, but an Angels team playing without Bartolo, a sick Washburn, a John Lackey that just pitched yesterday, and a Santana who just pitched tonight doesn't appear as challenging.

I know their hitters will still show up and the Sox will still have to travel across two time zones for game 3, but it's much better than facing an Angels team that didn't have to play a game 5 and had a day of rest before facing the Sox with a rested Bartolo and Santana.

P.S. I just bought fireworks tonight that I will blow off after each Sox victory for the rest of the season.

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 12:27 AM
What I'm saying is that unless Washburn somehow makes a quick recovery by tomorrow night, Lackey is their most rested starter, even though he would be on short rest. They might try a bullpen day and maybe go 2 innings a pitcher for 8 innings but these are the playoffs and sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

If he goes I don't think he goes past five innings, but i'm just saying if they are going with a starter he might be the only available option for game 2

And what I'm saying is that I think they're far far more likely to go with a bullpen start, or even take a chance on starting a Kevin Gregg or something, or even starting Washburn running a fever than on abusing Lackey like that.

Flight #24
10-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I still would rather play the Yankees, but an Angels team playing without Bartolo, a sick Washburn, a John Lackey that just pitched yesterday, and a Santana who just pitched tonight doesn't appear as challenging.

I know their hitters will still show up and the Sox will still have to travel across two time zones for game 3, but it's much better than facing an Angels team that didn't have to play a game 5 and had a day of rest before facing the Sox with a rested Bartolo and Santana.

By the way - it is entirely possible for the team to rally around this adversity. The Sox better not walk in thinking the Angels are going to roll over - Figgins, Anderson, Vlady, & co can put runs up.

shoota II
10-11-2005, 12:30 AM
By the way - it is entirely possible for the team to rally around this adversity. The Sox better not walk in thinking the Angels are going to roll over - Figgins, Anderson, Vlady, & co can put runs up.

Very true. Hopefully the Sox will attack them as agressively as Kirstie Alley on a plate of pasta.

ChiSoxRowand
10-11-2005, 12:31 AM
It will be interesting to see how serious Colon's injury is. We will probably be facing Paul Byrd on 3 days rest tomorrow, maybe Washburn. Escobar is not really an option, he's not stretched out. He has also pitched over an inning 3 out of the last 4 days, so we may not have to see him tomorrow. BTW, does anyone think Torre has managed his last game in New York?

Frankfan4life
10-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Well, that was a nice few days rest. Now, where did I put that Maalox?

JoeyCora28
10-11-2005, 11:25 AM

:b&b

Huh, Huh, Huh, he said Small and Wang!!