PDA

View Full Version : Daver interview

Cambridge
10-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I thought most of you would be interested in an interview posted this morning on redsoxnation.net. It's with some White Sox fan who goes by the name "Daver."

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18551&s=

MarySwiss
10-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Wow, Daver; good stuff! (Well, most of it; I don't agree with everything, but what fun would that be?)

YOU GO, guy!

:yup:

soxfanreggie
10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Great interview Daver! :thumbsup:

antitwins13
10-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Good interview Daver, but I love the Hawk and I don't long for the old "wimpy" days. DJ is the man.

Chisox003
10-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Very nice! :gulp:

I like this guy:
The Red Cubs crap is garbage and diminishes their site and the opinion that they are at all knowedgeable fans.
I can see where he considers the "Red Cubs crap" being garbage, because who wants to be compared to that freakshow on the Northside after all?

But to put the entire site and all its members in the same boat as a few people who call the Sawx the "Red Cubs" is stupidity.

Great interview though

LongLiveFisk
10-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Great interview, Daver....although I can honestly say that them calling their team the "Sox" really doesn't offend me much. It's typical when a team name has two words that the local fans go by the second word. "Jays" for Blue Jays, "Hawks" for Blackhawks, etc..just one of those things, I suppose.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Great interview Daver!!!

:thumbsup:

Favorite quote - "I still think the new Sox stadium should have been called Veeck Field, as a tribute of what he did for the game."

Domeshot17
10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Solid Interview, I think you did a good job of stating your opinions, but letting RSN know that we all have our own ( I.E. with Hawk, the Cubs etc.) Found it funny how a lot of their replies seem to think they are such smarter baseball fans than us lol, although cant expect too much more from a team who still thinks, despite being swept, they were the better team then us.

Clembasbal
10-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Solid interview, several good points. Like showing that most "Sox" fans really don't care about the Cubs and anything that really pertains to them. We care about our team! The White SOX, Baby!

whitesoxwilkes
10-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Great work Daver...but I really wouldn't expect anything less from you.

BridgePortNative
10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Veeck Field? Thats one of the things I dont understand. Aside from that a great interview.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Daver explains where Red Cubs comes from. That's more than I could have managed.

:redneck

Nicely handled, Dave!

:thumbsup:

Daver
10-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Veeck Field? Thats one of the things I dont understand. Aside from that a great interview.

Bill Veeck owned the White Sox twice,and was a visionary as far as baseball owners goes, it was Veeck that started the promotions to get fans into the stadium, something every team does now, it was Veeck that saw early on that revenue sharing in baseball was going to become nescasary in order for teams to compete, yet was ostracized by the rest of the owners for it. Bill Veeck did a lot of things for the game itself, the Stadiun sits on 35th and Veeck drive, Veeck Feild would have been more fitting than renaming it for a cheapskate who's utter cheapness compelled his own team to sell him out to mobsters.

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Excellent interview Daver. Thanks for the personal mention and also for the mention of the WCSF.

One correction, however, John Allyn brought Harry over in '71. Veeck didn't buy the team until '76.

Daver
10-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Excellent interview Daver. Thanks for the personal mention and also for the mention of the WCSF.

One correction, however, John Allyn brought Harry over in '71. Veeck didn't buy the team until '76.

I know, but it didn't register until after the fact, and thus too late.

And you sir, are quite welcome.

Brian26
10-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Interesting to see the take of the Carmine fans in the subsequent posts in that thread. One guy questions Tom Brunansky throwing out the ball before Game 3...I'm impressed he remembers the significance in relation to the White Sox (1990/last game of the season/phantom catch).

BridgePortNative
10-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Bill Veeck owned the White Sox twice,and was a visionary as far as baseball owners goes, it was Veeck that started the promotions to get fans into the stadium, something every team does now, it was Veeck that saw early on that revenue sharing in baseball was going to become nescasary in order for teams to compete, yet was ostracized by the rest of the owners for it. Bill Veeck did a lot of things for the game itself, the Stadiun sits on 35th and Veeck drive, Veeck Feild would have been more fitting than renaming it for a cheapskate who's utter cheapness compelled his own team to sell him out to mobsters.

Well, that explains alot... i almost forgot about the street Shields re-named to Veeck, I have a feeling they might make some kind of plaque to him in the future, it may be a while, but sooner or later it will happen, question is..... what would be the name of the stadium after the 23 year deal?

TheDarkGundam
10-10-2005, 08:29 PM
"since when have they had a copyright on the name sox?"

Hmmm...Let me think about that. What is and has almost always been our logo?

beckett21
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Nice job Daver! :cool:

Just couldn't resist getting in a dig at Ozzie, could ya? :redneck

SouthSide_HitMen
10-10-2005, 09:12 PM

Bill Veeck also was the first owner to sign an African American player (Cleveland 1948) and manager (White Sox 1878) in the American League. Bill Veeck brought us our last pennant in 1959 (well at least until this season). Bill Veeck saved the Chicago White Sox from moving to Seattle as was Bud Selig's wish in 1975.

There would be no Chicago White Sox today without Bill Veeck. I became a fan in 1975 and as a kid followed daily the work Bill Veeck and his partners were doing to Save Our Sox (SOS) and for the rest of my life their will never be a better owner nor a better team than the team he owned - The Chicago White Sox!!!

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 09:35 PM
great interview Daver, and special thanks to Cambridge for conducting and posting it on the Red Sox site

chisoxmike
10-10-2005, 09:54 PM
I thought most of you would be interested in an interview posted this morning on redsoxnation.net. It's with some White Sox fan who goes by the name "Daver."

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18551&s=

Very nice Daver. :thumbsup:

TaylorStSox
10-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Great interview Daver. You speak for alot of us who don't give a **** about the Cubs or teams outside of our division. Well done!

Nellie_Fox
10-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Bill Veeck brought us our last pennant in 1959 (well at least until this season). That team was already in place by the time Veeck bought the club. He had little or nothing to do with the makeup of the '59 club, and his trades of young talent trying to win again hurt the Sox considerably.
Bill Veeck saved the Chicago White Sox from moving to Seattle as was Bud Selig's wish in 1975.Maybe, but he also explored moving the team to Denver.

Veeck only owned the Sox because the Cubs weren't available. I am one of those fans Daver pointed out who couldn't forgive Veeck for never coming back to Comiskey to support the Sox after he sold the team, but spent the rest of his life in the bleachers at Wrigley.

Huisj
10-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Interestingly, the last reply on the interview thread on that site asks why sox fans insist that the white sox are the sox rather than the red sox. The poster reasons that both teams have been the sox for as long as he can remember, just like the Jays are the Jays, and the Rays are the Rays. Unfortunately, it looks like the thread is closed, so no one can provide a nice answer to that question (which he asks in an arrogant way).

Hmm, in 1901, there was the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Americans.
In 1902, there was the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Somersets.
In 1903-06, there was the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Pilgrims.
Finally, in 1907, there were two different Sox.

I say (in a sophisticated but frustrated caveman voice borrowed from a Geico ad:
"Yeah, next time to a little research."

SouthSide_HitMen
10-11-2005, 12:43 AM
I am one of those fans Daver pointed out who couldn't forgive Veeck for never coming back to Comiskey to support the Sox after he sold the team, but spent the rest of his life in the bleachers at Wrigley.

I know and we don't have to rehash this again - we already discussed this elsewhere on the site.

The "Sunshine Boys", who really shouldn't have been our owners in the first place, treated Veeck like a piece of ****. Bill Veeck last few years on Earth was only welcomed in one ballpark in Chicago and unfortunately it wasn't Comiskey Park.

The truth of the matter is most of White Sox and even non baseball fans loved Bill Veeck during his life and after his death whereas many White Sox fans will always hate the sunshine boys for the many things they did to diminish White Sox baseball and baseball in general. What once was a 50 / 50 town turned a huge cub town and JR / EE have a major role in this loss of fan base.

Nellie_Fox
10-11-2005, 01:08 AM
I know and we don't have to rehash this again - we already discussed this elsewhere on the site.So then you rehash it again, defending him.

I'm sorry, all I remember is Veeck getting his feelings hurt because Reinsdorf and Einhorn said they would be able to run a first-class organization, a reference to Veeck's lack of money. I don't remember them treating him badly or making him unwelcome. He chose to be offended and stay away.

The Racehorse
10-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Interestingly, the last reply on the interview thread on that site asks why sox fans insist that the white sox are the sox rather than the red sox. The poster reasons that both teams have been the sox for as long as he can remember, just like the Jays are the Jays, and the Rays are the Rays. Unfortunately, it looks like the thread is closed, so no one can provide a nice answer to that question (which he asks in an arrogant way).

Hmm, in 1901, there was the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Americans.
In 1902, there was the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Somersets.
In 1903-06, there was the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Pilgrims.
Finally, in 1907, there were two different Sox.

Exactly. :yup:

To piggyback on your thought, I remember PHG once breaking down, in terms of the exact number of years, the Red Sox uniform having "Boston" spelled out and "B" on their caps [thus identifying with the city], while we've almost always had "Sox" on our uniforms and/or caps [thus the identifying with 'the Sox']. I don't remember the exact number of times... I think it was four or five times we didn't have 'Sox' on the uni's, while Boston only had 'Sox' spelled out four or five times.

As for that Red Socker from RSN wondering why some of us bristle at the 'Sox' reference being directed to the Boston team, I'll only speak for myself...

... not being from Chicago, I'll admit to being used to saying 'White Sox' and 'Red Sox'. While growing up in Iowa, I remember Harry Caray exclaiming "Sox Win!" or saying "the Sox" when the game was on the old channel 44, but I never considered it the prevailing reference because I hardly ever heard it used like that as a young kid. While I now understand why both teams are referred to as 'the Sox' in their local markets, the 'Sox' moniker never seeped into my consciousness until the advent of big-time cable tv and the internet. So, when national media types use 'the Sox' reference for solely the team from Boston, while referrring to Chicago's Sox as the ChiSox [for example], thats just silly. And to take it one step farther, when ESPN announcers say things like "A.J. ruined the Sox in game one", that's just pathetic.

I say (in a sophisticated but frustrated caveman voice borrowed from a Geico ad):
"Yeah, next time do a little research."

You forgot the chortle... "Yeah, next time do a little research. *chortle*" :D:

--------------------------------------

Daver, great job on the interview, especially your answer regarding the Cubs. :cool: Also, too bad you couldn't have answered the Steve Bartman question in teal... like, who the hell is Steve Bartman? :redneck

SouthSide_HitMen
10-11-2005, 11:36 AM
So then you rehash it again, defending him.

I'm sorry, all I remember is Veeck getting his feelings hurt because Reinsdorf and Einhorn said they would be able to run a first-class organization, a reference to Veeck's lack of money. I don't remember them treating him badly or making him unwelcome. He chose to be offended and stay away.

Actually I didn't rehash our old argument I addressed your new round of Veeck bashing. Give it a rest. Veeck was class and JR / EE two letters short.

Nellie_Fox
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Actually I didn't rehash our old argument I addressed your new round of Veeck bashing. Give it a rest. Veeck was class and JR / EE two letters short.I wasn't Veeck bashing. I've just never understood why Veeck is sanctified and Reinsdorf vilified. Veeck was not without his faults, Reinsdorf not without his good points. It seems that people only remember the good things about Veeck, and either conveniently forget or never knew the bad.

I should "give it a rest" because you've decided what the acceptable script on Veeck is, and deviation from it is not tolerated?

Johnny Mostil
10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
So then you rehash it again, defending him.

I vaguely, and perhaps incorrectly, remember that Veeck quit going to Cub games when the Trib eliminated same-day sale of bleacher tickets, and that he did take in a Sox game or two at the old ball park before he died. Does anyone else recall this, or is my memory of twenty years ago just bad?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I wasn't Veeck bashing. I've just never understood why Veeck is sanctified and Reinsdorf vilified. Veeck was not without his faults, Reinsdorf not without his good points. It seems that people only remember the good things about Veeck, and either conveniently forget or never knew the bad.

I should "give it a rest" because you've decided what the acceptable script on Veeck is, and deviation from it is not tolerated?

Well I am going to agree to disagree and leave it at that. To say Bill Veeck "maybe" saved the White Sox in 1975 is rewriting history plain and simple. Veeck's offer was the last and only offer to keep the club in Chicago. MLB wanted the team in Seattle. Anyone alive during that era remembers the same facts.

Bill Veeck's team signed / traded for a majority of our starting staff in 1983 (Hoyt, Dotson, Burns) and Harold Baines a key member on our pitching rich "Winning Ugly" squad so maybe this is something you can give him credit for.

Veeck wasn't a saint and JR is not Mr. Potter. I like the direction the White Sox have taken the past few years. JR hired Kenny Williams and I think he is the best GM he hired. The jury is out on Ozzie if we have a bad season (could get ugly) but he has done a great job with the staff and keeping players fresh. Ozzie learned under Bobby Cox and Jack McKeon and it appears many lessons were learned.

JR has made some mistakes (mainly public relations which even he will admit). I do think he truly wants the club to win and not only for monetary reasons (which is the sole reason for the Tribune) and we have had some good years and bad years under his reign. This club is our best chance to win the World Series since the 1983 squad (didn't think the same thing during 1993 or 2000) and I have thought so since June.

I think we both can agree on wishing the White Sox success for years to come.

Take care and peace.

South Side Hitmen - Another fine Bill Veeck Production :tongue:

maurice
10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
The lady doth protest too much. The honest and knowledgeable Boston fans concede that the Red Sox Fan / Cub Fan comparison is pretty accurate in recent years.

oldcomiskey
10-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Bill Veeck also was the first owner to sign an African American player (Cleveland 1948) and manager (White Sox 1878) in the American League. Bill Veeck brought us our last pennant in 1959 (well at least until this season). Bill Veeck saved the Chicago White Sox from moving to Seattle as was Bud Selig's wish in 1975.

There would be no Chicago White Sox today without Bill Veeck. I became a fan in 1975 and as a kid followed daily the work Bill Veeck and his partners were doing to Save Our Sox (SOS) and for the rest of my life their will never be a better owner nor a better team than the team he owned - The Chicago White Sox!!!

actually, Frank Robinson was the ALs first black manager with Cleveland, Doby was the first who wasnt a player-manager

SouthSide_HitMen
10-12-2005, 12:38 AM
actually, Frank Robinson was the ALs first black manager with Cleveland, Doby was the first who wasnt a player-manager

You know what Old Comiskey - You are right and that is why I love this board - you learn something new everyday.

I do remember Larry Doby taking over for Bob Lemon who went to New York to replace Billy Martin and win their second World Series in a row - making him the third manager in my lifetime (Chuck Tanner and Tony LaRussa the others) to leave the White Sox and win the World Series.