PDA

View Full Version : "Psycho" Lyons in the booth with Farmio?

SOX ADDICT '73
10-10-2005, 02:46 PM
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, and I know the ideal situation is for Rooney to stay put, but:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051009soxlyons,1,425736.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Any thoughts, folks? I can't for the life of me recall what Lyons sounds like on the air, though I remember at least once being angry with him for saying something stupid about the Sox while calling a Fox Saturday game. Like him or hate him, here's the worst part:
Lyons said he has a year left on his contract with Fox. A possible obstacle is that he would have to miss some Sox weekend games to work Saturday network telecasts. Lyons said that didn't appear to be a problem from his initial talks. One scenario could find Mike North taking Lyons' place in the booth when he is gone. WSCR would like to get North in the mix.
I can't stand that loud-mouthed moron! When Mikes Golic & Greenberg are too nauseating, I switch over to NPR rather than listen to North.

rdwj
10-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I always liked Steve Lyons. I think he'd be a nice addition to our broadcast team.

miker
10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
There are worse options!

Pulaski
10-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, and I know the ideal situation is for Rooney to stay put, but:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051009soxlyons,1,425736.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Any thoughts, folks? I can't for the life of me recall what Lyons sounds like on the air, though I remember at least once being angry with him for saying something stupid about the Sox while calling a Fox Saturday game. Like him or hate him, here's the worst part:

I can't stand that loud-mouthed moron! When Mikes Golic & Greenberg are too nauseating, I switch over to NPR rather than listen to North.

I ran in to Dave Wills in the Left Field bath room during Game # 1 (ALDS) and I asked he was going to interview. He said the Sox are going after an Ex-White Sox Player. The article would make sense.

harwar
10-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Steve Lyons is an excellent color guy and he likes the White Sox.I listened to him quite a bit doing the DBacks games and he always seems to not be afraid to tell it like he feels.
I saw in the same article that ol' uncle Lou Piniella is going to be in the booth with Joe Buck and Tim Mcarver during the ALCS.
That should be kind of interesting.Lets hope it doesn't turn into a circus.

JRIG
10-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Who needs actual broadcasters when you can just keep ex-White Sox players on the payroll!!

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
I would love Willsy but understand he has a contract with TB. I haven't heard Torborg brought up, however, anyone know his situation?

I think the stupidest move was giving Farmer PBP, he is horrible at it, and is already iffy when he just chimes in. Everyone knows that the reason we currently have a top notch radio team is because of Rooney

scottjanssens
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM
John Rooney used to miss all the Sunday games when he did Game of the Week on CBS Radio. Missing a few Saturday's would be nothing new.

Flight #24
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
If they're seriously considering Mike North as the fulltime guy, then the upside of this plan is two-fold. First, North once a week is way better than 5-7 times a week. Second, I have a hard time believing that after hearing him blather once a week for a full season, that they'd bring him back for a 2d season......just in time for Willsy's contract to run out, IIRC!

harwar
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I think the stupidest move was giving Farmer PBP, he is horrible at it, and is already iffy when he just chimes in. Everyone knows that the reason we currently have a top notch radio team is because of Rooney

Yea,if Rooney is going Farmer might as well go also.Rooney is the only one who can control Ed and keep him from getting lost in his own long borring stories.

Garland_IS_God
10-10-2005, 03:50 PM
John Rooney used to miss all the Sunday games when he did Game of the Week on CBS Radio. Missing a few Saturday's would be nothing new.

John Rooney used to do Fox broadcasts on Saturdays a while back. I remember him and the former Cubs announcer Josh ?? forget the guys last name, doing commentary together. Im im not mistaken, Rooney had to of missed some of the Sox games for the Fox broadcasts as well.

34 Inch Stick
10-10-2005, 03:51 PM
There are worse options!

I'm with you. This is not an immediate jump out of my seat yes option. However, thinking about it more it would be acceptable (including the North on once a week). As long as Lyons lost the psycho part (he tries much too hard to be odd, which probably means that he is not) and never talked about his premeditated dropping the pants bit I think he is fairly solid. North would be entertaining on a Saturday.

Hangar18
10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
There are worse options!

I agree ............ I like him also.

Hangar18
10-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Im also in the minority that thinks that Mike North would be a dark horse favorite, come-outta-nowhere guy and actually be entertaining in the booth.
People may not like his views ......but he'll only talk baseball. thats it.
South Side Baseball

rm0824
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
There are worse options. He's got good insight, plus he played with Ozzie.

miker
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Im also in the minority that thinks that Mike North would be a dark horse favorite, come-outta-nowhere guy and actually be entertaining in the booth. People may not like his views ......but he'll only talk baseball. thats it.
South Side Baseball
I long to see your side of the argument...please tell me what about Mike North wouldn't be loud, obnoxious and phony.

hawkjt
10-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Lyons is the best option I have heard so far. He would be great teamed with Cangy or Black Jack. Do not like Ed but will give him a chance in his new role. North-no way , Kitty is just not good either.

tebman
10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Lyons would be, obviously, a much better choice than North. The thing that makes my twitchy about Lyons is that he seemed to adopt the Fox Sports' manner of speech:
"Keeptalkingeventhoughwhatyou'resayinghasalreadybee nsaid..."

If he gets the gig, I hope he can lower his caffeine intake after he leaves Fox Sports. It's a long season to listen to non-stop talking.

Chicago
10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't mind steve lyons... If i remember correctly he was doing the cubs/sox game and during the pregame he started talking about cubs/sox fans... he said... as long as there is beer and hotdogs the cubs fans will be there... and with the white sox, these are real fans... people that actually know the sport...Sox fans have always been known to be the real fans... things along that line... but the cubs one was exact.

Better for it to be an ex Sox Player/Fan...This way hopefully he lays to rest this "curse" talk.

slavko
10-10-2005, 07:58 PM

Moron is higher than imbecile or idiot. The jury is still out on this, IMHO. Yes, he will discuss baseball with passion, but he has no clue of the subtleties of this very subtle game. He can give you "see ball, hit ball," but that's about it. I want more in a major league analyst.

Brian26
10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
North doesn't deserve to do one game a week, I'm sorry.

Ken
10-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Although North can be arrogant and obnoxious at times (ala Ed Farmer), there is no denying that he is a true diehard Sox fan! His comments are very thought provoking and interesting. Today, for example, he opened his show with the discussion that Ozzie took Marte over McCarthy because he "takes care of his own".

When I listen to his morning show, I feel like I am sitting in a neighborhood bar, talking Sox. WSCR and North is to the Sox what WGN has been to the Cubs forever. I feel like we finally have a station that we can connect with and I can't understand how any Sox fan cannot appreciate North's passion for this team.

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I hate North but I wouldn't mind him. It's not like he'd get going on issues of race or politics. He'd bring energy and listeners will be guaranteed honesty, which is something that the radio team will need with Hawk on the TV side. The thing is I question how much he knows about baseball and think there are better options

LuvSox
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
I dunno. I don't like arrogant people, and he fits the bill. Lyons reminds me of Mike Krukow in San Fran.