PDA

View Full Version : ESPN at it Again!

Droso5
10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
This may be a minor quibble, but ESPN and Chris Berman brought up the false "Curse of Shoeless Joe" again. "Can the White Sox be on their way to the World Series and finally break the curse of Shoeless Joe?" and during the fade away to commercial, they had the camera zoom in on a picture of good ole' Joe.
I'm sorry if this is yet again the beating of a very dead horse, but I really cannot stand it. They need to stop making us into the Cubs / Red Sox by pigeon holing our historical mediocrity/crappiness into a curse.

SOXintheBURGH
10-10-2005, 02:13 PM
This may be a minor quibble, but ESPN and Chris Berman brought up the false "Curse of Shoeless Joe" again. "Can the White Sox be on their way to the World Series and finally break the curse of Shoeless Joe?" and during the fade away to commercial, they had the camera zoom in on a picture of good ole' Joe.
I'm sorry if this is yet again the beating of a very dead horse, but I really cannot stand it. They need to stop making us into the Cubs / Red Sox by pigeon holing our historical mediocrity/crappiness into a curse.

Yeah, I caught that as I was going to bed last night. I screamed "WE ARE NOT CURSED!" and changed the channel. I loathe Berman.

lumpyspun
10-10-2005, 02:20 PM
They have to find a storyline to follow...and every game we play from here on out, the curse of shoeless joe and the black sox will only build, unfortunately.

They have to get the average person interested in these games they wouldn't otherwise care about. For some reason in baseball the various "curses" have been the way to go for the last couple of years. As much as we hate it, get used to it, b/c its only a matter of time before FOX, sports illustrated, and USA Today start running stories on it too.

Did anyone else see Jeff Brantley somewhat admit that he has been hard on the white sox this year and that they have proved him wrong? I think it was about two nights ago....

Droso5
10-10-2005, 02:28 PM
I totally understand your logic there bro'. As our beloved team is pretty much beloved by us in this city, so ESPN needs some super-neato cute storyline to drum stuff up. But, I pose the question: has there really ever truely been a 'Cure of Shoeless Joe"? I mean, there were a total of 8 Men Out, and the reason they threw the WS, was because Comiskey was paying them in cans of old reprocessed beef (an exaggeration yes, but it illustrates a point) It was not for overly selfish reasons, they were painted into a corner, at least thats my view. It just seems that only now that the beloved Red Sox have gotten crushed and they have no curse to blame it on, another one has to be made up. I mean, the Astros have come close many times but lost, so whats their curse?
The Curse of the Haunted Rocket Ship? Posh Flimshaw! Sorry if these seems like a rant, because it is, but this just mind boggles me.

Chicken Dinner
10-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Who cares.......as a cable paying Sox fan, if you don't like whats on, change the channel. I could care less what the Cubune, ESPN, Foxsports, or any other media group says. Lets keep our energy focused on what happens on the field.

Uncle_Patrick
10-10-2005, 03:46 PM
But, I pose the question: has there really ever truely been a 'Cure of Shoeless Joe"?

Of course there isn't. There's no "Curse Of Shoeless Joe" either. :cool:

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
They have to find a storyline to follow...and every game we play from here on out, the curse of shoeless joe and the black sox will only build, unfortunately.

They have to get the average person interested in these games they wouldn't otherwise care about. For some reason in baseball the various "curses" have been the way to go for the last couple of years. As much as we hate it, get used to it, b/c its only a matter of time before FOX, sports illustrated, and USA Today start running stories on it too.

Did anyone else see Jeff Brantley somewhat admit that he has been hard on the white sox this year and that they have proved him wrong? I think it was about two nights ago....

I think a good way to take care of this "curse" BS is simple. If anyone sticks a microphone in your face, tell them how ridiculous the idea of a curse is, and that the idea of curses reeks of Salem and the backwardness of New England. That should shut 'em up.

miker
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I think a good way to take care of this "curse" BS is simple. If anyone sticks a microphone in your face, tell them how ridiculous the idea of a curse is, and that the idea of curses reeks of Salem and the backwardness of New England. That should shut 'em up.
I like it!

putherawaywet
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
ESPN has turned into soap opera for men. They're focus has shifted from sport to the "compelling storylines." That's why they're always focusing on telling us every damn thing Barry Bonds does or what Red Sox and Yankees fans are saying about each other. Dan Patrick especially, is the worst.

SAVVY18
10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Any clue how to e-mail these ESPN morons? I have been looking on their site and on ABC.com for a way to e-mail them, but it doesn't list a way to contact a person individually. I also want to send a note to Buster Olney for his recent article on how Game 1 "should be pushed back". Because of "fairness".

riskier77
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
A "curse" is just used by other teams and the Media as an excuse to explain why the team hasn't won the big one. It's so stupid!

I don't care about what any other team, non-White Sox fans or Media have to say about us.

Go White Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

livewir
10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I know Jim Caple mentioned a "curse" in one of his articles and I sent him a message via his website www.jimcaple.com (http://www.jimcaple.com) and told him there was no such thing, perhaps if enough people flood him with comments he'll listen and pass it on.

LW

russ99
10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I was pretty steamed when I looked at the ESPNY game report when I got home from the bar Friday night. The first half of the article was about the Black Sox.

What a slap in the face to the team and Sox fans. First the picture on the home page of Johny Damon, then 2 paragraphs of the Black Sox before mentioning El Duque.

Screw these east-coast homers, I'm boycotting ESPN the rest of the way.

sas1974
10-10-2005, 06:06 PM
This is the type of crap ESPN thinks they need to pump out there to grab the attention of Average Joe and give him a reason to watch the White Sox. The part that makes me sick is that if they would have actually shown of few more games involving our Sox (you know...the team w/ the best record in the AL all season), people WOULD be interested in them. They play the type of baseball that can draw in the casual fan. They play close, intense games. They steal bases. They hit and run. They have fun playing the game and it shows.

But wait....I have an even better idea, let's televise every single game between the Red Sox and Yankees because that's what America wants. :rolleyes:

StockdaleForVeep
10-10-2005, 06:17 PM
"The redsox lose again in the playoffs, proving they're new curse, the "we have nothing to moan about now so we make up curses to explain why we cant win again"

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 06:20 PM
This is the type of crap ESPN thinks they need to pump out there to grab the attention of Average Joe and give him a reason to watch the White Sox. The part that makes me sick is that if they would have actually shown of few more games involving our Sox (you know...the team w/ the best record in the AL all season), people WOULD be interested in them. They play the type of baseball that can draw in the casual fan. They play close, intense games. They steal bases. They hit and run. They have fun playing the game and it shows.

But wait....I have an even better idea, let's televise every single game between the Red Sox and Yankees because that's what America wants. :rolleyes:

Only one problem with your theory. All of the ALCS games are on Fox/FX.

sas1974
10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Ahh....good point. Back to the drawing board on my conspiracy theory. Let me grab my tin foil hat and find a new angle.

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Ahh....good point. Back to the drawing board on my conspiracy theory. Let me grab my tin foil hat and find a new angle.

If yours doesn't work, I'm sure Hangar has a few spares.

chaerulez
10-10-2005, 09:18 PM
If anyone caught the 5 pm sportscenter today, they took the curse thing further, and actually had a few minute segment comparing the "curse of shoeless joe/black sox" to the Cubs and Red Sox "curses".

They even interviewed people like Ozzie and Jenks... it was really stupid.

Droso5
10-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Just great, now the ESPN media machine is rolling along making something out of absolutely nothing. No White Sox fan acknowledges it and none of the players do. Bobby Jenks? He hasnt been on the team for an entire season yet and they ask him?! Now, all of the accomplishments et al that this team as achieved will be buried under a "Curse of....." I know this is really inconsequential(spelling?) but we are not the friggin' Red Sox or Cubs fans looking for excuses to soothe their pathetic souls after another "....heartbreaking loss" This is what the White Sox will be reduced too if ESPN has its way. Breaking The Curse of Shoeless Joe, which is completely manufactured and fake, is what this team, if it goes all the way, will be remembered for. Not everything else. Man, this topic for some reason really burns me up, thank god I can vent on here.

Later.

Domeshot17
10-10-2005, 11:32 PM
My favorite part of this so called curse, is ESPN didnt even do their homework. Shoeless Joe hit something like 365 in the series and played Stellar D, he thought he could pull a fast one, get paid, and still play his butt off. I could see if you want to invent a curse, call it the curse of the blacksox, or the curse of the 8 men out, but why name a curse after the most productive player for the sox in that series?

livewir
10-10-2005, 11:51 PM
I actually got a response from Jim Caple.
I sent him a note from his web page saying there was no such thing as a "black sox" curse or a "shoeless joe" curse and that the only reason we haven't won was because we weren't good enough .

His response.

"
I can respect that attitude.

Go Sox
"

LW

SoxFan64
10-11-2005, 12:03 AM
My friend and fellow Sox fan wrote this as part of a blog for his newspaper the Washington Times. He wrote prior to the Firday's clincher against the BoSox.

Here is the link:

http://blogs.washingtontimes.com/insiderpolitics/?p=349

you need to register.

But to save time here is the blog copied and pasted for all to read. Yup, there is no damn curse. Share this blog with others. Maybe they will listen to another journalist. But then maybe there are no journalists covering the ALCS for ESPN.

To the moderators, I got Greg's approval to post this message here. If it not ok to post let me know and I will take it down.

The Boston whiners

As a lifelong Chicago White Sox fan, I have always been puzzled by the attitude of Boston baseball fans. You know: the woe-is-us, curse-of-the-Bambino, we’ve-suffered-so-much attitude. Actually, Red Sox partisans had absolutely no reason to complain, even before last year’s world championship.

They had Ted Williams, arguably the greatest player who ever lived, and made it to the Series in 1946. They had Carl Yastrzemski and captured the American League championship in 1967, perhaps the greatest pennant race in history, when four teams were within one game of each other going into the final weekend of the season. The Red Sox won on the final day. The team performed valiantly in the World Series that year, losing in seven games to the St. Louis Cardinals.

And then in 1975, led by such stars as Carlton Fisk, Fred Lynn and Jim Rice, the Red Sox took the stage in an epic struggle with the Cincinnati Reds, known then as the Big Red Machine. Many rate that seven-game World Series as the most dramatic ever. But Boston fans seem to remember only that they lost.

Of course, there was that heart breaking loss to the New York Mets in the 1986 World Series —
another seven-game affair. But still, the team made it to the big show.

My White Sox were one of the three pennant contenders that ended up sitting home watching the Red Sox in the 1967 World Series. It never occurred to me that I should feel sorry for the Red Sox because they failed to win it.

In fact, the White Sox haven’t played in a World Series since 1959, which they lost in six games to the Los Angeles Dodgers (and before that, 1917).

This year, my White Sox have the Red Sox on the ropes in a divisional series. But if the Red Sox mount a come-back, or if the White Sox come up short in the League Championship Series or the World Series, you won’t hear any whining from me and my compatriots in Chicago.
Boston seems to have that market cornered.

— Greg Pierce, “Inside Politics” columnist

SweetnesSox
10-11-2005, 12:06 AM
I totally understand your logic there bro'. As our beloved team is pretty much beloved by us in this city, so ESPN needs some super-neato cute storyline to drum stuff up. But, I pose the question: has there really ever truely been a 'Cure of Shoeless Joe"? I mean, there were a total of 8 Men Out, and the reason they threw the WS, was because Comiskey was paying them in cans of old reprocessed beef (an exaggeration yes, but it illustrates a point) It was not for overly selfish reasons, they were painted into a corner, at least thats my view. It just seems that only now that the beloved Red Sox have gotten crushed and they have no curse to blame it on, another one has to be made up. I mean, the Astros have come close many times but lost, so whats their curse?
The Curse of the Haunted Rocket Ship? Posh Flimshaw! Sorry if these seems like a rant, because it is, but this just mind boggles me.

I'm not sure, but I always heard that was Comiskey paid them was right around the average of what players were paid then. plus we all know Shoeless Joe wasn't a part of it. CHECK THE STATS!

SweetnesSox
10-11-2005, 12:09 AM
My favorite part of this so called curse, is ESPN didnt even do their homework. Shoeless Joe hit something like 365 in the series and played Stellar D, he thought he could pull a fast one, get paid, and still play his butt off. I could see if you want to invent a curse, call it the curse of the blacksox, or the curse of the 8 men out, but why name a curse after the most productive player for the sox in that series?
sorry didnt read this before I posted! but yeah he hit in the upper .300s at least, didn't make an error on the field, and hit the only home run of the series if my memory is correct. Good stats bud.