PDA

View Full Version : Three Days Off....

CaptainBallz
10-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Just a thought that popped into my head. With the Sox having three days off before the ALCS, do you think that having that much downtime is more beneficial in terms of resting players and preparation or more detrimental in terms of slowing down a team that's on a roll (I'm thinking of the bats especially).

Also, if anybody knows, is Ozzie doing anything out of the ordinary to help keep these guys cool, but warmed up as they wait for the next series?

SOXPHILE
10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
They worked out on Sunday, and some of the pitchers threw to live hitting. I heard from Bruce Levineline that Garland threw something like 70 pitches, since it's been so long since he last pitched.

Crede_Fan
10-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Ozzie, himself, took BP against BMac. After BMac struck Oz out, all the guys yelled HE GONE!!!! I saw that on one of the news shows.

So he seems like he's keeping it loose, like it has been all year long.

boiler up
10-10-2005, 12:39 PM
no one can say till they play. some teams thrive on rest, some teams need to be out on the field every minute of the season.

getonbckthr
10-10-2005, 01:27 PM
currently we are on an 8 gm winning streak. usually i would go with the thought we gotta lose somewhere. but with the 3 days off it pretty much negates that feeling.

Chicken Dinner
10-10-2005, 02:25 PM
At least Ozzie won't say that Dye or Pods needs a rest and start Timo.

chisoxfanatic
10-10-2005, 05:32 PM
At least Ozzie won't say that Dye or Pods needs a rest and start Timo.

I don't think Ozzie would EVER start Timo...This isn't the regular season here.

soxfanreggie
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Our guys are getting what is like an All-Star break. Now, normally, I would think that would be bad, but seeing the other teams having to play and travel while we can stay at home and scout them better, I like our chances.

clean
10-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Our guys are getting what is like an All-Star break. Now, normally, I would think that would be bad, but seeing the other teams having to play and travel while we can stay at home and scout them better, I like our chances.

Im pretty sure the all-star break didn't hurt us. we came out flying in the second half...then we choked.:redneck

batmanZoSo
10-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Three days off, so I take it the series starts Tuesday as originally planned?

The Dude
10-10-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't think Ozzie would EVER start Timo...This isn't the regular season here.

Shhh...dont even give Ozzie the idea!:tongue:

mantis1212
10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
After 3 days off for the All-Star break, I seem to recall the Sox pulled off a four-game sweep in Cleveland.

Let's do another 4 straight!

SOX ADDICT '73
10-10-2005, 07:55 PM
...or more detrimental in terms of slowing down a team that's on a roll (I'm thinking of the bats especially).
I had thought of this too, but looking back at the 8-game winning streak, it's not as if the offense has been lighting it up. It started with 8 runs against Detroit, and was highlighted by the two touchdowns (and extra points) against Boston, but other than that it's been mostly 3, 4, or 5 run outputs. That's obviously been enough, as Sox pitching has been stellar. But make no mistake, their bats have been more opportunistic than hot.

I'm glad the pitching staff has had the chance to rest, but I'm interested to see how Garland performs with so much time off. I like the move to pitch him 3rd: with all the maturing he's done this year, I still would worry about his psyche in Game 1 of the ALCS. With Contreras and Buehrle going first, we've got a good chance of being up 2-0, or at least split, before Jon takes the mound.

credefan24
10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I think Ozzie's keeping these guys loose, calm, and focused. The three days off can only be good for us.

schmitty9800
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Only guy I'm worried about is Garland. His first start in almost two weeks, against a hostile NY crowd? (could be Anaheim of course, but I'm more scared about Yankee Stadium)