PDA

View Full Version : Should Sox Fans Rally around Marte

Domeshot17
10-10-2005, 12:08 AM
With Baseball being such a mental game, and it is easy to press and try to hard when you are slumping, I just have been thinking. Red Sox Fans, the Way they pick up Tony Graffanino after the error, and elevate his play, I just wonder, if we got behind marte, and really gave him an ovation when he came in, if it might relax him enough to find the electric stuff we used to love in him. Pitching slumps arent to different from a hitting slump ( I know I went through both my first year of college) You swing to hard, you try to throw to hard, timing and rhythm is off, balance isnt comfortiable, try to snap the breaking ball too hard and it breaks too soon, little things.

I am urging anyone and everyone to get behind this guy, because a team is only as strong as its weakest link. I know we have tried, and my patience is worn just as much as everyone elses here, but with all the lefties we face on either team in the ALCS, a solid and effective Damaso is going to be needed, lets him get there. One huge ovation might be just enough to loosen this guy up and get him back.

Lets do this Sox Fan, Lets Save Damaso!

John Barrett
10-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Go to oprah!!!!!!

Domeshot17
10-10-2005, 12:13 AM
lol easy, Im not trying to get too emotional or anything, but I mean, listen to Contreras talk when he got hot. He thanked the fans a lot for getting behind him, because early on when he struggled the Boos got to him. He picked it up a little, crowd got behind him, and he has been a machine. Damaso has the talent, we have seen it before, so if this helps our team keep winning, lets go for it.

putherawaywet
10-10-2005, 12:13 AM
go Marte! - we're gonna need him. Cheering him is completely solid idea.

ilsox7
10-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Without a doubt he should be cheered. The end goal is for the Sox to win. And right now, booing him if he makes an appearance will only hurt him.

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2005, 12:17 AM
I was all for this before the DS, but this guy just blows, you can cheer him all you want when he comes in, he'll walk the first guy he sees and it'll be back to the same old show again.

The ESPN crew from last series asked Ozzie why he didn't go to Marte to face Ortiz in Game 2 and he said that he didn't like using Marte at home because the fans really get on him. I'm glad that Ozzie has caught on, but hopefully with his most recent performance (mainly what he's been for a while), he will not use him in a crucial situation, anywhere!

LuvSox
10-10-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm not booing, I'm saying BOOG! :D:

CaptainBallz
10-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Cheer EVERYBODY on this friggin' team. Marte HAS done good things for this team this year and HAS helped the Sox get to where they are now.

If not for those reasons, do it because it's the classy thing to do.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-10-2005, 12:19 AM
he's had his chance time and time again this season, and failed. na na na na hey hey hey kiss marte goodbye!

The Dude
10-10-2005, 12:24 AM
I never am a fan of booing one of our players. I mean do we actually want him to come in and blow it? Cheering or saying nothing would be the best thing to do until he is off the team. If a player is a prick, he can be booed when he puts on the other uni in my opinion.

Jjav829
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Maybe, as Dave Duerson would say, we need to "literally" rally around Marte. :?:

FarWestChicago
10-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I never am a fan of booing one of our players. I mean do we actually want him to come in and blow it? Cheering or saying nothing would be the best thing to do until he is off the team. If a player is a prick, he can be booed when he puts on the other uni in my opinion.I wouldn't be surprised if there are people here who want Marte to do poorly so they can bray about how intelligent they are. :rolleyes:

I_Liked_Manuel
10-10-2005, 12:31 AM
the only way anybody should be cheering for him is if he actually gets somebody out

AnkleSox
10-10-2005, 01:12 AM
I felt TERRIBLE for marte when i saw the look on his face when he got pulled. He kind of had a terrified/about to cry look on his face. I would love to see him do well and get some fan support, but ozzie absolutely has to pull him if he doesnt get the first guy out.

MUsoxfan
10-10-2005, 01:16 AM
We have no choice but to cheer him. Simple as that

JB98
10-10-2005, 01:19 AM
I would neither cheer nor boo him when he enters the game. Once he's on the mound, I hope he does well. But with the way he's been pitching lately, beating himself with walks, I can't cheer his entrance into the game. For those posters who say booing him is counterproductive, on that point, I agree.

If he gets people out, I will cheer him.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Booing players on your own team only makes sense if you believe they are dogging it. Otherwise, what's the point? Do you really think that it's going to make Marte better? It can only make him press.

TheOldRoman
10-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are people here who want Marte to do poorly so they can bray about how intelligent they are. :rolleyes:
JR is too cheap, and I knew this would happen. As I predicted, first we get rid of Magglio and Carlos and don't replace them, now we are stuck with Marte because Kenny wasn't given an extra $30mil in payroll at the trade deadline to aquire a good lefty reliever. We made our bed, now we are lying in it:cool:

Banix12
10-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Well I don't see there being any other choice but to rally around him. Though after last friday I don't forsee Ozzie giving Sox fans an opprotunity to boo and stick to his plan to play him on the road.

Here's a weird thought... Has anybody ever wondered if Ozzie might be part of the reason Marte has struggled so mightily over the last few years? He has this repuation for being mentally fragile and Ozzie can be a forceful, abrasive guy. It just seems odd that under Manuel, who was a relatively low key guy, he was one of the best setup men in the league and under Ozzie he has been a headcase for two seasons.

bobwsx
10-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Without a doubt he should be cheered. The end goal is for the Sox to win. And right now, booing him if he makes an appearance will only hurt him.AGREE!!!!!!!!!!:Rocker:

WSoxFanForever
10-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I never boo anyone on the White Sox. No matter what I may be thinking in my own head, I know it's not a good idea to rattle one of our own.

DAllen15
10-10-2005, 07:39 AM
he's had his chance time and time again this season, and failed. na na na na hey hey hey kiss marte goodbye!

Other players on this team that I've seen numerous WSI posts this year to get rid of because they had their chances and failed:

1. Contreras
2. El Duque

Marte's got good stuff, he's just a headcase right now. With the depth of this staff, we're not that dependant on him.

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 07:51 AM
You don't boo anybody on your own team. Period. End of discussion. (Except, yes, it's all right to boo Jerry Manuel when he's announced before the All-Star Game.)

harwar
10-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I think that we've seen that Ozzie is going to do what he wants no matter how crazy it seems.
Marte actually pitched well against that first guy the other day(that hit barely made it out of the infield).
Ozzie seems to be like the brilliant captain who is a little bit insane.
No one is sure of his tactics but he gets the job done somehow.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-10-2005, 08:04 AM
He's a member of the team....support him. He's out there to get it done, and he certainly doesn't want to fail. Get behind him. If Ozzie believes in him, shouldn't the fans? Let Yankee fans boo their own players.

rdwj
10-10-2005, 08:05 AM
You have to cheer Marte. You don't have to give him a standing ovation or anything, but you should try to make him feel comfortable out there - we don't want him on the mound thinking that the world is against him.

Steelrod
10-10-2005, 08:08 AM
I think that we've seen that Ozzie is going to do what he wants no matter how crazy it seems.
Marte actually pitched well against that first guy the other day(that hit barely made it out of the infield).
Ozzie seems to be like the brilliant captain who is a little bit insane.
No one is sure of his tactics but he gets the job done somehow.

Personally I think he made a mistake putting him on the roster....HOWEVER
I have questioned many of Oz's moves, but last time I looked, He's the A.L. manager of the Year and on Tuesday he's taking our team towards everybodys final goal. Me, I'm sitting at an office typing.

IF OZZIE SAYS "HE'S THE GUY", THEN HE'S THE GUY.

Good luck to Ozzie, Marte, and the rest of the team. Bring us home a winner. I'll be cheering for ALL of you!!!

34 Inch Stick
10-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Booing players on your own team only makes sense if you believe they are dogging it. Otherwise, what's the point? Do you really think that it's going to make Marte better? It can only make him press.

Wasn't the suspension not more than a month ago a clear indication that Ozzie thought the guy was dogging it?

I won't boo him (not that I have a ticket to do so if I wanted to). However, I think people here are a bit nuts if they think sprinkling a little magic pixie dust of cheers is going to bring him back to 02 form.

The first game he came back from the suspension Ozzie brought him in to face two batters in a tough situation. He got both of them out. The next time he pitched at the Cell he was welcomed back to cheers. He proceeded to do his typical two walks and out act.

At this point I think it is a mistake to boo Marte. He is just doing what has become his normal routine. The person who deserves the scorn is Ozzie for thinking that the results are going to change.

Norberto7
10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
...what's the point?...

...he didn't like using Marte at home because the fans really get on him...

There you have it. The fans effectively discouraged Marte's entrance into Game 2.

Would you say that is a bad thing?

daveeym
10-10-2005, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=34 Inch Stick]Wasn't the suspension not more than a month ago a clear indication that Ozzie thought the guy was dogging it? [QUOTE]

Not for dogging it. His two dust ups were supposedly going outside of the team to outside doctors and showing up late.

Face it you have to cheer him, especially as he's brought into the game. If he blows, when he gets pulled do whatever you want.

Ozzie should make him get a Wild Thing (Vaughn style) haircut, grow a valenstasche or something, stick him in front of the media and have him give a mea culpa and say he's doing this to try anything to change it up and throw strikes. Get something fun going with him, where it'll get the media and fans to loosen up and rally around him. Then if he comes in and gets a batter out and then gets pulled it would just steam roll from there and have the fans back on his side.

Ol' No. 2
10-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Booing players on your own team only makes sense if you believe they are dogging it. Otherwise, what's the point? Do you really think that it's going to make Marte better? It can only make him press.You would think it wouldn't be necessary to point this out.:(:

asindc
10-10-2005, 10:17 AM
There you have it. The fans effectively discouraged Marte's entrance into Game 2.

Would you say that is a bad thing?

Ok, for all those who are hell-bent on booing one of our own, consider that booing not only gets to the player being booed, but also the other players, particularly his friends on the team, and the coaching staff.

Face it, there is nothing to be gained from booing your own players, particularly when things are going so well. Don't cheer if you must, but booing your own players/team does not have a positive effect, no matter how you rationalize it.

skobabe8
10-10-2005, 10:18 AM
I cant see how booing the guy when he enters an ALCS game in a tough spot is going to help anything.

34 Inch Stick
10-10-2005, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=34 Inch Stick]Wasn't the suspension not more than a month ago a clear indication that Ozzie thought the guy was dogging it? [QUOTE]

Not for dogging it. His two dust ups were supposedly going outside of the team to outside doctors and showing up late.

I thought the final straw was showing up late for a game. As I said, I agree with not booing but I also don't think the playoffs are the time to try and boost a guys confidence.

He's here, he's playing for the team I want to win, so I will do what I can to help him achieve our common goal.

TomBradley72
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
If this was the regular season...I'd boo my head off.

Seeing as we need 8 wins to get a championship....and Marte could be the difference between winning and losing....for the next few weeks I'd go heavy on the encouragement side. Only good things could come of it. I think one of the things that is really giving this team a lift...is that since they clinched in Detroit...the city has really rallied behind them..maybe for the first time at this level since 1959. (raucous crowds, positive press, the Midway welcome)...it's giving them an extra lift...right at the perfect time.

DenverSock
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Ok, for all those who are hell-bent on booing one of our own, consider that booing not only gets to the player being booed, but also the other players, particularly his friends on the team, and the coaching staff.

Face it, there is nothing to be gained from booing your own players, particularly when things are going so well. Don't cheer if you must, but booing your own players/team does not have a positive effect, no matter how you rationalize it.

I cant see how booing the guy when he enters an ALCS game in a tough spot is going to help anything..

Add in the fact that at any one time any one player may turn in a stellar performance. Also it may hearten opponents.

Harry Chappas
10-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Boo him? No way. However, I think the decision to keep him over McCarthy simply because he is a lefty is a puzzling one. It's especially odd since he struggles more with lefties.

ChicagoHoosier
10-10-2005, 11:38 AM
After everything this team has done, and even Marte has contributed at times this year, there shouldn't be a single boo. It would accomplish nothing.

I can't think of a single reason not to cheer my friggin head off whenever any pitcher comes into the game or a critical situation during the game.

kitekrazy
10-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Go to oprah!!!!!!

Exactly. There is a reason why they call it professional baseball. These guys get paid some nice change for what they do. Part of that involves not allowing the fans to be your personal shrink.

I'll cheer if the Sox get rid of him.

The regular season is over. The playoffs allow a small margin of error so catering to a player's feelings has no place if your a manager.

antitwins13
10-10-2005, 12:08 PM
let's do it

elrod
10-10-2005, 12:35 PM
I won't be at any of the ALCS games so I won't have a choice in the matter. But if I were there and Ozzie brought in Marte to pitch to Giambi with runners on 1st and 2nd and 1 out in the 8th inning where we are ahead 4-2, I wouldn't boo him. I'd probably groan a bit when I first saw him coming out of the pen, but then I'd start yelling, "Let's get him Damaso!" or something. Not a "cheer" or a "boo", just a shout of encouragement. However, if he started walking Giambi or got hit by him, then I'd start booing. Marte is a professional. His job is to get out lefties. He's obviously succeeded against the Yankees and Angels in the past (1.17 career ERA against the Angels and 2.00 ERA against the Yankees), and his velocity is about where it's been before. If he fails to get out Giambi in a clutch situation, or Garret Anderson for that matter, than I would boo the heck out of him. I don't boo valiant efforts in defeat. I wouldn't boo him if Giambi hit a ball that was a foot outside for a home run. There's nothing you can do there. But if Marte left a slider over the heart of the plate then he deserves to be booed.

miker
10-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Definitely not booing, but I'll probably begin praying that Marte doesn't throw gasoline on the fire.

If he's successful, I will cheer like nobody has cheered before!

C'mon Damaso, we need you and your left arm RIGHT NOW!

harwar
10-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Booing any White sox player at this point seems ludicrous to me.
If you feel that you have to boo the guy,at least wait and see how he does before doing so.
I feel that Marte can handle one left-handed batter in the right situation.I don't think Ozzie should let him face 2 or 3 guys in a row.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Other players on this team that I've seen numerous WSI posts this year to get rid of because they had their chances and failed:

1. Contreras
2. El Duque

Marte's got good stuff, he's just a headcase right now. With the depth of this staff, we're not that dependant on him.

those 2 guys actually showed at some point in the season the ability to get people out

kevin57
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I will not boo Marte...or any other Sox.

That doesn't mean I won't grab a scotch when I see him running in from the pen.

wassagstdu
10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Yankee fans booed Randy Johnson when he came out. Red Sox fans cheered Tony Grafanino when he was introduced Friday. Who's got the most class?

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 08:54 PM

1. Contreras
2. El Duque

Exactly

sas1974
10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
I have NEVER booed a player on the Sox. That seems like such a NY thing to do to me. I highly doubt that I'll be giving Ozzie or Marte a standing O if Damaso is announced, but I certainly won't be booing.

SoxFan64
10-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Here's a weird thought... Has anybody ever wondered if Ozzie might be part of the reason Marte has struggled so mightily over the last few years? He has this repuation for being mentally fragile and Ozzie can be a forceful, abrasive guy. It just seems odd that under Manuel, who was a relatively low key guy, he was one of the best setup men in the league and under Ozzie he has been a headcase for two seasons.

I don't think that's a weird thought. I think that is a large part of the reason. Right or wrong Marte is wired differently than Ozzie and it affects his pitching.

Now is Ozzie going to change to help Marte -- doubt it.

Is Marte going to grow a thicker skin -- doubt it.

So don't boo the guy but I will probably close my eyes when he pitches. :duck:

ewokpelts
10-10-2005, 11:49 PM
With Baseball being such a mental game, and it is easy to press and try to hard when you are slumping, I just have been thinking. Red Sox Fans, the Way they pick up Tony Graffanino after the error, and elevate his play, I just wonder, if we got behind marte, and really gave him an ovation when he came in, if it might relax him enough to find the electric stuff we used to love in him. Pitching slumps arent to different from a hitting slump ( I know I went through both my first year of college) You swing to hard, you try to throw to hard, timing and rhythm is off, balance isnt comfortiable, try to snap the breaking ball too hard and it breaks too soon, little things.

I am urging anyone and everyone to get behind this guy, because a team is only as strong as its weakest link. I know we have tried, and my patience is worn just as much as everyone elses here, but with all the lefties we face on either team in the ALCS, a solid and effective Damaso is going to be needed, lets him get there. One huge ovation might be just enough to loosen this guy up and get him back.

Lets do this Sox Fan, Lets Save Damaso!
no

tstrike2000
10-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Of course I want to cheer for him. However, Don Cooper said today that Marte has confidence is his fastball but no confidence in his breaking pitches. That's obviously been evident for a while now. If he's a one pitch pitcher, I don't understand how having him on the roster is an advantage, lefty or not. I don't care if he learned to pitch using his wanker, if he can't get guys out then do we really want to play Russian Roulette in the ALCS? Guys can work this stuff out in the minors, but we don't have that option! It's your best guys right now, not tomorrow.

brewcrew/chisox
10-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Player B/T
Darin Erstad L/L
Chone Figgins S/R
Maicer Izturis S/R
Adam Kennedy L/R
Casey Kotchman L/L
Garret Anderson L/L
Jeff DaVanon S/R
Steve Finley L/L

That's quite a few lefties and switch hitters. Cotts can't pitch to them all. Marte is going to have to see some action; hell he could see a lot of action. I say we back the guy because he is going to be key going late into games. However, I too will be reaching for the :gulp: when I see him.

gehrtsox7
10-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Lets do it, we need to get behind all of our players thick and thin, Contreras is a perfect example of what confidence can do. Look at Shingo last year.

Chips
10-11-2005, 01:19 AM
I have never booed any Sox player and it seems like such a juvenile thing to do. I won't go bonkers if Martes gets introduced on account of his not so good pitching, but I won't boo him. Not that it will matter because I won't we at the games.

goodsy72
10-11-2005, 01:25 AM
I have to watch myself were Damaso is concerned. I got a two week vacation for saying some not so flattering things about him in a game thread. That should pretty much sum up my feelings on his 2005 pitching performance. But I have to say I got this weird feeling he's going to do something very clutch this round or the next. I know what your saying. He man take some Pepto it's just the bratwurst. But mark my words.:rolleyes:

AnkleSox
10-11-2005, 01:46 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/101sd2.htm

While the White Sox celebrated their three-game sweep over the Boston Red Sox in the American League Division Series on Friday, manager Ozzie Guillen saw something distressing out of the corner of his eye.

Most of the team was living it up, but left-handed reliever Damaso Marte was sitting in the visitor's clubhouse with his head down.

Marte had given up a hit and walked two batters in the sixth inning of Friday's game to load the bases with no outs. And even though Orlando Hernandez got out of the inning unscathed and saved the White Sox en route to their 5-3 win, Marte took the failure hard.

This really makes me feel bad for damaso... and while I don't think that he should be used in a critical situation, and should be pulled if he doesn't get his first batter out, I don't think there is any way the guy should be booed. I think he really honestly wants to help the team and just needs a little external motivation, unfortunately.

Banix12
10-11-2005, 02:00 AM
I agree with the sentiment that sox fans shouldn't boo him however it's difficult for me to beleive that saying it on this site will have little effect on whatever is going to happen at the game. There are a lot of fans who look at this site but not that many. And i'm sure a majority of us won't be at the games.

Whatever happens is going to happen and any control we personally have on it is minor. I hope the fans do get behind him though when he comes in the game. Though I still think Ozzie sticks to his road plan.

hawkjt
10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
cannot happen tonite or thru out the series. It is all I read in the papers and hear on the radio that he will be booed when he is introduced tonite and when he comes out of the bullpen.

All the media types see sox fans as complete classless neadrethals that will not be similar to Red Sox fans cheering for TonyG on last Friday. I bridle at that stereotyping of grudge-holding Sox fans that refuse to let it go even when their are championships at stake.

I will be severly disapointed if I hear him booed in intros or coming out of the bullpen tonite or tommorrow nite. We are better baseball fans than that.

russ99
10-11-2005, 12:04 PM
cannot happen tonite or thru out the series. It is all I read in the papers and hear on the radio that he will be booed when he is introduced tonite and when he comes out of the bullpen.

All the media types see sox fans as complete classless neadrethals that will not be similar to Red Sox fans cheering for TonyG on last Friday. I bridle at that stereotyping of grudge-holding Sox fans that refuse to let it go even when their are championships at stake.

I will be severly disapointed if I hear him booed in intros or coming out of the bullpen tonite or tommorrow nite. We are better baseball fans than that.

I will be cheering for him tonight, just not as loud as the rest of the Sox. If Marte has another performance like Friday night, the boos will flow like cheap watered-down Miller beer.

Chicken Dinner
I just hope he can give us something to cheer about.

ChicagoHoosier
I second that whole-heartedly! What good does booing do at this point anyway? Think he'll pitch better if he hears the crowd booing him before the game? How about we all rally behind EVERYONE on our team and push them to do their best? This is the ALCS!

Beauty35thStreet
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Cheer for everybody, especially Damaso.

eriqjaffe
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
I hope the only chance anybody has to boo him is during pre-game introductions, as I don't want him anywhere near the mound during a game.

Law11
10-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I will be cheering for Damaso just like all the rest. Take a cue from Boston, Tony G got the loudest cheers after his error.

Not saying that will happen but like the other posts have said, what good can come from Booing the guy now. Its not like hes trying to walk guys.

To come home and have 40k booing you cant be a good mindset for anyone.

SoxFan78
10-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Orignally I was going to boo him, but after reading all of the posts on this subject, I agree with you. Booing him would probably do more harm then good.

But I will not be cheering for him, i will just be quiet. He has no place on this team, especially in the ALCS. I hope we never see him on the mound and if we do, we better be up or down by more then six runs.

If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.

hold2dibber
10-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Orignally I was going to boo him, but after reading all of the posts on this subject, I agree with you. Booing him would probably do more harm then good.

But I will not be cheering for him, i will just be quiet. He has no place on this team, especially in the ALCS. I hope we never see him on the mound and if we do, we better be up or down by more then six runs.

If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.

You still should cheer him. He didn't decide to put himself on the roster - that was Ozzie's call. And if what you're concerned about is the White Sox winning, the more confidence Damaso has in himself the better. Cheering him may help his confidence grow.

jenn2080
10-11-2005, 12:27 PM
I dont like the guy at all he has done a thing. however....if ozzie has faith in him we should too. i have no interest in jumping up and down for him when he comes up but i wont be booing him. he is on the team so we should cheer for him as well as the rest. God i do hate him though. i wanted to die when they put him in on Friday night. UGH! But GO WHITE SOX!

A_ROW33
10-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I just find booing one of our own players completely counter productive, particularly apon enrty into a game. Should he walk two batters again, then so be it if you want to boo, but booing a player before he's even thrown a pitch is flat stupid; judge him on today's performance. (although I hope he will not havea performance today)

pssondacubs
10-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Comparing fan reaction to Dumaso and Tony G. is a ridiculous argument. Tony G. is part of the reason Boston even made the playoffs. He was batting over .300 most of the season if my memory serves me right. He also only had a few errors. Compare those stats to a pitcher that has done almost nothing for the Sox this year. And at one point was told to stay home because he was dogging it. If he is booed, it's because he earned it. Who the hell cares what the rest of baseball thinks.
This would have been a fantastic learning experience for Brandon McCarthy. He is hands down the better pitcher. He should be there instead of Marte.

The Racehorse
10-11-2005, 12:35 PM
If I had my way, this thread would blow-up in a hurry regarding the merits of NOT booing your players, especially in our ballpark. :?:

If this post gives pause to anyone who would otherwise contemplate booing Marte, then good. :cool: If not, then fine. :mad:

GO SOX! :supernana:

Soxfanspcu11
10-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Its not like hes trying to walk guys.

I have serious reservations about that! :tongue:

PorkChopExpress
10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I never understood booing for your own team's players. It is certainly counterproductive, but unfortunately, I see it happening tonight. It was not all that long ago when fans at the Cell were booing Frank Thomas in his down year. Ridiculous.

hawkjt
10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
And of course Burls got booed a ton his one down start a few years ago.

Domeshot17
10-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I guess the reason I started this thread was anyone who played baseball through and beyond high school knows how confidence and mentality are a big part of the game ( and I know plenty who did not play know the same). When the question arose to trade Marte or not, plenty of the people bashing him now pleaded for the sox to keep him and his once devastating stuff. If the crowd gets behind him, its going to put a lot of that confidence into him, and then he puts that confidence back into his breaking ball.

And for anyone who thinks Marte won't be used too much in this series, check out how many left handed bats the Angels run out there and look at these splits

Chone Figgins, 290 hitter, hit 244 against lhp, 313 righties
Erstad, LEft handed 273 hitter, hit 232 against lefties 291 righties
Cabrera hit 242 against lefties 265 righties
Rivera 252 against lefties, 284 righties

Now Some LEFTY batters hit lefties harder, Anderson hit 330 against lefties and 264 righties, Finley 202 righties 271 lefties,The Molinas & some held consistent, Vlad 312 lefties 319 righties, Kennedy 302 righties 296 lefties.

But Figgins, Erstard Cabrera Rivera, that will be 4 of their regular hitters who hit far less versus LHP. Figgins and Cabrera hit back to back, and Erstad and Rivera hit 1 spot apart usually, so Marte very well might be called on to face 2 of these 4 guys, and we need him to get them out.

DickAllen72
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Without a doubt he should be cheered. The end goal is for the Sox to win. And right now, booing him if he makes an appearance will only hurt him.

Amen!

Anyone booing a White Sox player upon making an appearance in this series is NOT a White Sox Fan. Such spectators should stay home and let White Sox fans have their tickets so that they can cheer the Sox on to victory. You can curse at your TV at home.

Procol Harum
10-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't want to make Marte press even more by booing the guy when he lines up or comes out to pitch. Not to mention he's our guy--there should be enough love to go around among the Sox and their fans to slip Marte a little grace.

That said, I hope Ozzie keeps him well away from the playing field. Matter of fact, if the fans can literally rally around Marte--I mean around the guy's physical body and keep him out of the ballpark--that might be the very best thing that could happen....

jabrch
10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Like Vultures around roadkill...

I really wish Brandon was on the roster instead of Damaso - and I hope Damaso makes me eat my words.

SOXSINCE'70
10-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Pitch a few shutout innings and all will be forgiven.
At least I won't run for cover every time Marte
comes into the game.:cower: :cower:

hawkjt
10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
So Damaso get booed at the intro or not? Hope not -it just reflects badly on the sox fans.