PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe nobody's posted this yet

ChiSoxRowand
10-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Giambi wins comeback player of the year. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051006&content_id=1240230&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) What ESPN wants, ESPN gets.

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 01:26 AM
What else is new? Admitted cheater winning comeback player of the year. We're gonna have to congratulate him for that if the Yanks make the ALCS.

LuvSox
10-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Remember the love Chris Berman used to have for him? The Home Run Derby contest should have been held at a Red Roof Inn for Christ's sake.

TheOldRoman
10-10-2005, 01:32 AM
http://img.slate.msn.com/media/1/2057072/122980/2098058/040809_RickJames.jpg
"HGH is a hell of a drug!"

StockdaleForVeep
10-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Who would you rather vote for as comeback? If frank stayed the rest of the season and continued what he was doing then maybe him, but the numbers dont lie and giambi had a great comeback

FarWestChicago
10-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Who would you rather vote for as comeback? If frank stayed the rest of the season and continued what he was doing then maybe him, but the numbers dont lie and giambi had a great comebackDid they ever give this award to any of the cokeheads after they came back? Maybe there is a predecent for giving it to people coming back from self induced drug damage, even if it was to gain unfair advantage.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Who would you rather vote for as comeback? If frank stayed the rest of the season and continued what he was doing then maybe him, but the numbers dont lie and giambi had a great comebackConsidering that Giambi got where he was by cheating, even though it was legal at the time. Wickman would've had my vote. (Not like that's gonna be a popular opinion around here)

wdelaney72
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Who would you rather vote for as comeback? If frank stayed the rest of the season and continued what he was doing then maybe him, but the numbers dont lie and giambi had a great comeback

I don't care, anyone else. He shouldn't be given any consideration.

house215
10-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Who cares? Its hardly a real award anyways.

PennStater98r
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I've never been a big fan of giving comeback player of the year to a guy that was injured the previous season for a significant stint. We know what players are capable of, and should give CPY to someone that had a drop off on performance due to reasons other than injury.

Here's a few thoughts on comeback player of the year:

Dye
Wickman
Gibbons
El Duque

Any others?

antitwins13
10-10-2005, 01:16 PM
http://img.slate.msn.com/media/1/2057072/122980/2098058/040809_RickJames.jpg
"HGH is a hell of a drug!"

Whatever happend to Thomas winning the MVP award after Giambi admitted to using steroids?

kjhanson
10-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Without a doubt the award should have gone to Mark Ellis. He missed all of 2004 with a shoulder injury. After hitting .277 in the first half and still recovering, he hit .358 in the second half and ended up .316 13 52 while only committing 6 errors from second base.

D. TODD
10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Who would you rather vote for as comeback? If frank stayed the rest of the season and continued what he was doing then maybe him, but the numbers dont lie and giambi had a great comeback I agree! He may not be a favorite of mine, but his numbers clearly make him the award winner.

TheOldRoman
10-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Whatever happend to Thomas winning the MVP award after Giambi admitted to using steroids?
Baseball is far too spineless to take away the MVP and give it to the deserving person. After all, we don't know whether or not he was taking steroids in 2000. What is another one, oh yeah: How can you quantify exactly how much steroids helped Giambi? You can't throw his season out.
The truth is, Frank should have won the MVP fair and square, back in November of 2000. He had a better season than Giambi, on a better team than Giambi's. Media tools like Dan Patrick hyped up Giambi a ridiculous amount during 2000, and ultimately it was that hype that won the MVP for him, not his numbers. It is a shame because it costed Frank tens of millions of dollars (diminishing skills clause), and the media looks at Giambi like a "hero" that "persevered through hardship. :angry::angry::angry:

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Considering that Giambi got where he was by cheating, even though it was legal at the time. I wish people would stop saying it was "legal." It may not have been against baseball's rules, but it was a federal felony.

CubKilla
10-10-2005, 03:33 PM
I've never been a big fan of giving comeback player of the year to a guy that was injured the previous season for a significant stint. We know what players are capable of, and should give CPY to someone that had a drop off on performance due to reasons other than injury.

Dye
Wickman
Gibbons
El Duque

Any others?

What about Richie Sexson?

ChiSoxRowand
10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
It should have gone to either Sexson, Ellis, or Wickman. It should also be noted that Griffey won the NL award (it mentions him in the article too). Good to see him have a good year again, even though he was hurt at the end.

Rooney4Prez56
10-10-2005, 08:14 PM
It's not baseball's fault he won. It's those idiots who bow down and pray daily to ESPN, who wouldnt stop advocating him.

goofymsfan
10-10-2005, 10:47 PM

Dye
Wickman
Gibbons
El Duque

Any others?

Richie Sexson is another good choice. He was up there in HR, RBI's, and such after a year of injury. Anyone would have been a better choice for Comeback player than an admitted cheater. What kind of signal does that send kids....it's okay to cheat even if your caught, just own up to it and you'll still be rewarded.:mad:

mike squires
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
ESPN didn't get EVERYTHING they wanted...here come the Angels...:smile:

chaerulez
10-11-2005, 03:32 AM
What's to say he isn't back on HGH?

It's been widely publicized that certain HGH's are only detectable through a blood test and that MLB does not do any blood testing. I'm suppose to believe his resurgance from a .195 average and a few HRs from the first two months and then he hits .300 and gets 30 HRs the rest of the way was just a slump? The thing is, no one should give this guy the benefit of the doubt that he's not cheating again. There's no reason to believe he isn't.

mccoydp
10-11-2005, 10:38 AM
According to everyone's favorite poster, White Sox Josh, he makes the claim on SoxTalk that there isn't another good choice besides Giambi. He said that Giambi's learned his lesson, and is teaching kids that steroids are bad news.

Thanks for the PSA, Josh.