PDA

View Full Version : One rumor thread simply isn't big enough to contain some people's angst about Selig

BainesHOF
10-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Ssia.

SweetnesSox
10-09-2005, 10:06 PM
that's what I hear. The only other scenario I've heard is if there was a rainout today (sunday), then they would postpone Game 1 of the ALCS to wednesday. I didn't hear anything else, and as far as I know, as of now, game one will be played tuesday.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Apparently it depends on whether or not Fox wants to air any new episodes of "That 70's Show" or "Celebrity Ballroom Dancing." Since they control the world, we might be playing at 9am next Thursday.

Semi-teal here.

CaptainBallz
10-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Just heard on Am 1000 that MLB is STILL considering flip-flopping the ALCS/NLCS with a Yankees win tonight. For the record, I think that is ludicrous and totally unfair to the Sox and Houston.

Maybe NY and the Angels should consider sweeping the first round next time.

Don't do it MLB!

Dan1972
10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
ESPN radio stated that MLB will have a decision on this after tonights game. They could flip the NLCS and ALCS.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Apparently it depends on whether or not Fox wants to air any new episodes of "That 70's Show" or "Celebrity Ballroom Dancing." Since they control the world, we might be playing at 9am next Thursday.

Semi-teal here.

Can't we play the games in Japan and open at 4:00am - This way we can squeeze it in between the final scheduled infomercial and the Fox Morning News and everyone can be happy.

Semi-teal here as well.

UofCSoxFan
10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
This really would be garbage. It's not fair to the Sox who will have 5 days off if this happens...so they are actually punished for taking care of the division series early. The Astros bullpen is completely shot....not to mention Clemens pitched 3 today...you don't think they want/need the extra day off.

Yes its unfortunate that LA/NY got rained out....but if either had won one more game, this would not be an issue. They have only themselves to blame. I think the PR fallout would be so bad on this....as it appears to be a blatent attempt to help the Yankees make it to the Series (I'm not saying it IS)....that no way MLB flips the schedule.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
ESPN radio stated that MLB will have a decision on this after tonights game. They could flip the NLCS and ALCS.

Gm 1 Home Wed Oct. 12 TBD
Gm 2 Home Thu Oct. 13 8 pm
Gm 3 Away Sat Oct. 15 4 pm
Gm 4 Away Sun Oct. 16 7:30 pm
Gm 5*Away Mon Oct. 17 8 pm
Gm 6*Home Wed Oct. 19 4 pm
Gm 7*Home Thu Oct. 20 8 pm

Our new schedule if they do it.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 10:25 PM
This really would be garbage. It's not fair to the Sox who will have 5 days off if this happens...so they are actually punished for taking care of the division series early. The Astros bullpen is completely shot....not to mention Clemens pitched 3 today...you don't think they want/need the extra day off.

Yes its unfortunate that LA/NY got rained out....but if either had won one more game, this would not be an issue. They have only themselves to blame. I think the PR fallout would be so bad on this....as it appears to be a blatent attempt to help the Yankees make it to the Series (I'm not saying it IS)....that no way MLB flips the schedule.

Actually the NY favoritism is not true. Both AL series were scheduled to end by Sunday meaning 1 day off between series. The NL series were scheduled to end by Monday meaning 1 day off between series. MLB is trying to retain a 1 day off between series for each league.

The Players Union actually demanded this in agreeing to start tonights game at night (instead of at noon flip flopping with the NL) in exchange for flip flopping the league schedules if both NL series were completed by Sunday.

All three sides - Fox which pays a substantial amount of baseball's revenue, the Players Union and Bud Selig et al came to this agreement and I don't have a problem with it or see it as some kind of conspiracy against the White Sox.

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 10:27 PM
The Players Union actually demanded this in agreeing to start tonights game at night (instead of at noon flip flopping with the NL) in exchange for flip flopping the league schedules if both NL series were completed by Sunday.

All three sides - Fox which pays a substantial amount of baseball's revenue, the Players Union and Bud Selig et al came to this agreement and I don't have a problem with it or see it as some kind of conspiracy against the White Sox.

Well then what it comes down to is that FOX wanted the Yankee game at all costs and now the White Sox are going to suffer the consequences of the ratings game. What a joke.

greasywheels121
10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Actually the NY favoritism is not true. Both AL series were scheduled to end by Sunday meaning 1 day off between series. The NL series were scheduled to end by Monday meaning 1 day off between series. MLB is trying to retain a 1 day off between series for each league.

I have a problem with it. It's not fair to all the fans who bought tickets, and are already changing their schedules to work around getting to a game.

NDSox12
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
I have a problem with it. It's not fair to all the fans who bought tickets, and are already changing their schedules to work around getting to a game.

My situation is even worse... not only would I have to change my work schedule, but I would have to get new flights to and from Chicago which figures to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm sure my situation is rather unique, but obviously I'm not pleased.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Well then what it comes down to is that FOX wanted the Yankee game at all costs and now the White Sox are going to suffer the consequences of the ratings game. What a joke.

I don't see how the Sox suffer. They can pitch players on the side. It is not as if Contreras (who last pitched Oct 4) or anyone other pitcher is on normal schedule - they all have extra days off. In fact this may play to the White Sox advantage. I never heard of a team not wanting one extra day of rest.

The ALDS schedules were set up based on the minimum 1 off day between series. I have no problem keeping the day off for each team, I don't think the White Sox care one way or the other, I doubt you hear a peep of criticism from anyone in the White Sox organization about it and all MLB is doing is agreeing to the day off between series for everyone and making their major partner, FOX, happy as well.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 10:41 PM

I agree - the only inconvience is to the fans but baseball has done this all year every year by moving games for Fox Saturday or ESPN Sunday. MLB doesn't give a rats ass about the common fan - the game is sold out and ratings will be the same. I think Bud Selig can be summed up best from a line in Wall Street "Not only would you sell your mother but you would send her COD."

I was addressing this in purely a White Sox perspective - does this help, hurt or not affect the White Sox. I would vote for either not effect or help.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't see how the Sox suffer. They can pitch players on the side. It is not as if Contreras (who last pitched Oct 4) or anyone other pitcher is on normal schedule - they all have extra days off. In fact this may play to the White Sox advantage. I never heard of a team not wanting one extra day of rest.

The ALDS schedules were set up based on the minimum 1 off day between series. I have no problem keeping the day off for each team, I don't think the White Sox care one way or the other, I doubt you hear a peep of criticism from anyone in the White Sox organization about it and all MLB is doing is agreeing to the day off between series for everyone and making their major partner, FOX, happy as well.

It would be unfair to the Sox, the Cardinals, the Astros, and fans who have tickets to the games. It would be completely unreasonable and utterly disgusting to switch the schedules. MLB chose to **** their own bed by pre-setting the playoff schedule and now one of their teams will have to pay for it.

The Sox are on fire. I guarantee if you asked them they would have wanted to start the ALCS tomorrow is possible. Having your pitchers get 7+ days of rest is not good. It's obvious how this would negatively impact the Astros. The Cardinals would probably have the least to gripe about amongst the three teams. And then you have the fans. Sure, let's do something else to alientate the MLB fan base. How about we announce 30 hours ahead of the start of Game 1 of the ALCS that it is now delayed a full day. And now Game 2 is on a completely different day. Oh, same for the NLCS, you guys are switched, too. It would be utter bull**** and the only reason I think it is possible is b/c of the ******* in charge of MLB.

greasywheels121
10-09-2005, 10:43 PM
My situation is even worse... not only would I have to change my work schedule, but I would have to get new flights to and from Chicago which figures to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm sure my situation is rather unique, but obviously I'm not pleased.

I believe it. I'm going to have to figure out something with a couple of classes, if they did switch it. Because, no matter what day the game is, I'll be there. However, a time change would really be a HUGE inconvienence.

The Dude
10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
This would be horrible! I have a ticket for game 2 and I already had an employee work for me on wednesday and cant ask him to take it back. I will be forced to drastic measures if game 2 is moved to thurs:angry::angry::angry:

DickAllen72
10-09-2005, 10:53 PM
It would probably be as bad if not worse for the Sox' hitters to have four days off between games. But yes, it would also be bad for the pitchers, especially Garland.

Play the darn game when it was scheduled, unless tomorrow's game is a rain out. It's the fairest option.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 10:54 PM
It would be unfair to the Sox, the Cardinals, the Astros, and fans who have tickets to the games. It would be completely unreasonable and utterly disgusting to switch the schedules. MLB chose to **** their own bed by pre-setting the playoff schedule and now one of their teams will have to pay for it.

The Sox are on fire. I guarantee if you asked them they would have wanted to start the ALCS tomorrow is possible. Having your pitchers get 7+ days of rest is not good. It's obvious how this would negatively impact the Astros. The Cardinals would probably have the least to gripe about amongst the three teams. And then you have the fans. Sure, let's do something else to alientate the MLB fan base. How about we announce 30 hours ahead of the start of Game 1 of the ALCS that it is now delayed a full day. And now Game 2 is on a completely different day. Oh, same for the NLCS, you guys are switched, too. It would be utter bull**** and the only reason I think it is possible is b/c of the ******* in charge of MLB.

I don't agree but you are entitled to your opinion. MLB is comprised of those teams who are supposedly screwed by getting hundreds of millions from FOX and ESPN. As far as the fans I addressed that earlier - they do not give a rats behind about the fans. The games are sold out, the TV ratings will be the same and as far as MLB and all 30 teams are concerned revenue is the same.

FOX and ESPN have changed game times all season on late notice - moving night games to noon on Saturday and afternoon games to Sunday evening. I personally (and other friends who go to out of town games) have had to change flights / hotels / etc. due to this. MLB doesn't care and never will - whether it be Bud, Fay, Peter, Bartlett or anyone else.

I hate Bud more than anyone but all MLB cares about is revenue and in this instance no commissioner would do any different.

Gavin
10-09-2005, 11:24 PM
in case this happens!

Ok, anybody who's coming in from out of town for game 2, I have 2 (my bro and sis live in chicago) or 4 Game 1 tickets I would trade you for 2 or 4 game 2 tickets. I just can't miss my wednesday night class but my thursday night class is a joke. The only real problem is my girlfriend who has to buy at least a one way ticket. My mom works for AA so I'm real flexible. My gf can get a cheap one way via my mom and would have to buy a return trip. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there before you change plans.