PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: ALCS to move to Wednesday if the Yankees win?

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 08:15 PM
There is a rumor going around that the ALCS might be moved to Wednesday if the Yankees win tonight because of all of the travel that the winner of the series would have to do and the NLCS would start Tuesday because of both series being finished. I heard this on the national ESPN feed of the Yankee-Angel game on ESPN Radio and Dan Schulman made it clear that it was an unsubstantiated rumor that was going around. I would not put it past the MLB, but it would be a total screw-job of the White Sox if this were to occur. The White Sox should not be penalized with extra rest (and at this point, it is a penalty) because the Angels and Yankees couldn't settle their score in 4 games or less. They should have to suffer the consequences of not taking care of business.

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 08:21 PM
I agree. I have tickets to game two and that would screw up my plans. I'm pissed!

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2005, 08:26 PM
There is a rumor going around that the ALCS might be moved to Wednesday if the Yankees win tonight because of all of the travel that the winner of the series would have to do and the NLCS would start Tuesday because of both series being finished.

Awwww, poor NY babies... like a wise man once said, "if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!!!"

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I completely disagree with this, especially since the Sox were forced to play so many consecutive games in a row down the stretch.

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 08:35 PM
It would be BS if it happened, nobody was guaranteed rest, but the White Sox earned it with their sweep and ending their series when they did. It's the Yankees/Angels problem if it takes them 5 to settle this and it would be a damn shame if MLB giftwraps them a day off. No one cried for the White Sox when the Angels wouldn't schedule that one day game midweek when the Sox had to travel to another time zone for the following night or when our lone off day of Labor Day was spoiled by rain.

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2005, 08:38 PM
May be a moot point anyway... Halos just scored two in the 6th.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Has anyone spreading this rumor bothered to note what an ugly precedent this would set for MLB to GIVE a playoff team a day of rest? How many other teams want extra days? And why would the Sox not be pissed about being told to cool their jets for yet another day?

Have any of these dumbass rumormongers addressed ANY of these questions?

Didn't think so.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Has anyone spreading this rumor bothered to note what an ugly precedent this would set for MLB to GIVE a playoff team a day of rest? How many other teams want extra days? And why would the Sox not be pissed about being told to cool their jets for yet another day?

Didn't think so.

No. They are just spewing what is being implied by Uncle Bud's office. Unfortunately, Uncle Bud also does not consider these types of things, which is why I would not be surprised in the least if it actually happens. He truly is a piece of **** commissioner.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:47 PM
No. They are just spewing what is being implied by Uncle Bud's office. Unfortunately, Uncle Bud also does not consider these types of things, which is why I would not be surprised in the least if it actually happens. He truly is a piece of **** commissioner.

The fact that the Yankees are basically GIVEN the night games during the playoffs without a debate makes this seem like it might not be out of the question. It sets a very bad precedent, however.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
The fact that the Yankees are basically GIVEN the night games during the playoffs without a debate makes this seem like it might not be out of the question. It sets a very bad precedent, however.

Of course it does and any reasonable person sees the precedent it would set. I do not view Uncle Bud as a reasonable person, though.

FJA
10-09-2005, 09:49 PM
There is a rumor going around that the ALCS might be moved to Wednesday if the Yankees win tonight because of all of the travel that the winner of the series would have to do and the NLCS would start Tuesday because of both series being finished. I heard this on the national ESPN feed of the Yankee-Angel game on ESPN Radio and Dan Schulman made it clear that it was an unsubstantiated rumor that was going around. I would not put it past the MLB, but it would be a total screw-job of the White Sox if this were to occur. The White Sox should not be penalized with extra rest (and at this point, it is a penalty) because the Angels and Yankees couldn't settle their score in 4 games or less. They should have to suffer the consequences of not taking care of business.

The only team that really benefits is the winner of NYY/LAA, so Bud will have a lot of explaining to do. Remember, by playing 18 innings today, the Astros basically played 5 games and are having a day of rest taken away from them. They have the best argument against it, I think. I don't think it would matter for the Cards one way or the other. As for us, I don't think I've heard anyone suggest the extra day is a good thing for us.

If it happens, you better believe Steinbrenner's been on the phone since yesterday trying to make it happen.

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Does the MLB always do the reasonable thing? Apparently not as this is no longer just a rumor.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Does the MLB always do the reasonable thing? Apparently not as this is no longer just a rumor.

Are you saying they have announced a swap? Because it would have to be announced tonight and almost immediately since it's almost midnight out east. It is just so unreasonable to do it which is why I think Uncle Bud will do it.

Kogs35
10-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Are you saying they have announced a swap? Because it would have to be announced tonight and almost immediately since it's almost midnight out east. It is just so unreasonable to do it which is why I think Uncle Bud will do it.

bud light should of made the game for tomorow night 6eastern 3 pacific. not 8 eastern. if they can play a cs game a4pm on the east coast they can play 6pm on the east coast tomorow

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 10:24 PM
bud light should of made the game for tomorow night 6eastern 3 pacific. not 8 eastern. if they can play a cs game a4pm on the east coast they can play 6pm on the east coast tomorow

He is as clueless as they come and will do anything Fox asks of him.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 10:24 PM

Who says it's not a rumor? ESPN Radio?

:roflmao:

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Who says it's not a rumor? ESPN Radio?

:roflmao:

I was about to tell you that I read an article about it being a possiblity. Then I realized that it was from the New York Daily News. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
I was about to tell you that I read an article about it being a possiblity. Then I realized that it was from the New York Daily News. :D:

Ahh... another credible source.

:wink:

Gavin
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
This bull**** is keeping me from studying. The plan was supposed to be fly out Tuesday, come back Wednesday morning. I have tickets to game one. ****ing *******s, they would **** this up for me.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 10:42 PM
This bull**** is keeping me from studying. The plan was supposed to be fly out Tuesday, come back Wednesday morning. I have tickets to game one. ****ing *******s, they would **** this up for me.

Just chill. There is exactly one person on this board (ilsox) who keeps fretting over it strictly because he thinks Selig is too big a clown to understand the wider implications of GIVING a ballclub a rest day in the middle of the playoffs. It isn't going to happen.

It would require an unprecedented level of stupidity by Selig -- although ilsox is coming pretty damned close to matching it with the sheer number of posts he has made about it this evening.

:cool:

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Just chill. There is exactly one person on this board (ilsox) who keeps fretting over it strictly because he thinks Selig is too big a clown to understand the wider implications of GIVING a ballclub a rest day in the middle of the playoffs. It isn't going to happen.

It would require an unprecedented level of stupidity by Selig -- although ilsox is coming pretty damned close to matching it with the sheer number of posts he has made about it this evening.

:cool:

I admit it. I'll stop now and just hope he hasn't taken his idiot pill today.

BRDSR
10-09-2005, 11:12 PM
He is as clueless as they come and will do anything Fox asks of him.

FWIW, Fox was running(or at least ran once) a ticker that advertised the start of the ALCS on Tuesday at 8 PM EST. Seems to me that Fox would be asking him to keep it scheduled as usual. I don't see much of a threat here. The rumor probably started in the Yankee clubhouse when the team just assumed that Selig would just bend over for the tired Yankee ballclub. Even he wouldn't.

ChiSoxRowand
10-10-2005, 12:02 AM
I was just at NYYfans.com(the biggest yankee site I know of) and baseballfever.com and I didn't see anything about a possible switch. I doubt this happens.

popilius
10-10-2005, 12:17 AM
I've been hearing talk of the ALCS Game 1 being moved back to Wednesday. Does anyone know the real possibility of this happening?

I for one would be very angry with this decision. . . it would hurt the Sox as much as it helps other teams. So what if the other team is exhausted? The Sox went out and swept Boston so they didn't have to worry about being in that position. If the series is pushed back, the other teams would have the advantge of resting a day, while the Sox would have the disadvantage of not playing for 5 consecutive days! Plus, this scenario has happened in the past, and they didn't get the games pushed back for them. It would also be unfair to past teams.

And, if this does happen, dare they change the game from night game to day game?!

Gavin
10-10-2005, 12:18 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=59470

chisoxmike
10-10-2005, 12:20 AM
*cue circus music*

LuvSox
10-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Oh for ****'s sake, look around before you post a new thread.

Or at least give the obligatory "I didn't see this posted yet" speech.

BainesHOF
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
People need to lighten up around here regarding what posts are in what threads pertaining to what subject in what category. This is a great site, but I've noticed that people tend to jump on each other too much for the most innocent of "mistakes." Believe it not, some people don't live on message boards. Please chill out everyone.

FJA
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Just posted:

No rest for Yankees-Angels survivor (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051009soxnext,1,7476025.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

MLB has no plans to push back the start of the ALCS from Tuesday to Wednesday.

"We have 24 hours [between games], which is all we need," a highly placed MLB source said Sunday. "Clubs travel and play the next day all season. That's what makes baseball the sport that it is. We're accustomed to playing daily games, often in different time zones. Why should this be any different?"

Because they faced a 2,800-mile flight after winning on Sunday to force a Game 5 at Angels Stadium, the Yankees' front office had objected to MLB scheduling Sunday's game at 7:55 p.m. Eastern.

The source said the final decision on scheduling would not be made until Monday but did not see any circumstances beyond another rainout that would cause the ALCS to be delayed.

Gavin
10-10-2005, 12:30 AM
**** YEAH!

Section 548 here I come!

:supernana::supernana::supernana:

LuvSox
10-10-2005, 12:33 AM
People need to lighten up around here regarding what posts are in what threads pertaining to what subject in what category. This is a great site, but I've noticed that people tend to jump on each other too much for the most innocent of "mistakes." Believe it not, some people don't live on message boards. Please chill out everyone.

It doesn't take an Einstein to look around for about thirty seconds before starting a new thread. Just etiquette.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2005, 12:33 AM
People need to lighten up around here regarding what posts are in what threads pertaining to what subject in what category. This is a great site, but I've noticed that people tend to jump on each other too much for the most innocent of "mistakes." Believe it not, some people don't live on message boards. Please chill out everyone.You are wrong. This was like the fifteenth thread about the same goddamned thing and some of the staff have better things to do than clean up after lazy people. Of course, you don't have to clean up the mess so you don't care. :rolleyes:

BainesHOF
10-10-2005, 01:20 AM
My point is being proven. Relax, it's all good.

Gavin
10-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Excellent article on the dynamics of changing the ALCS dates here:

So, whenever the series is played, someone is sure to be upset. "You'd like to see a day off after (Games 3 and 4),'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said, "but we'd like to see a lot of things.''

And heck, this is baseball. They're athletes, they're young (well, maybe not Ruben Sierra (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3841)) and they're used to playing every day. As Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5275) said of the flight to California: "I'm really going to enjoy it. I'm going to see the trainer and see that he gives me something good to put me to sleep.''

Besides, both Game 5 starters, Bartolo Colon (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5763) and Mussina, were already in California to get plenty of rest. The Angels sent Colon back home Saturday even though they knew Jarrod Washburn (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5995) might not be able to make his scheduled Game 4 start due to a high fever, partly because they felt his aching back could use an extra day of rest. Mussina never even made the trip to New York, instead staying there after the first two games of the series. He's been in California so long the Yankees don't have to worry about him being tired. On the other hand, he's been there so long they may have to worry about him being called for jury duty.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=2186217

IowaSox1971
10-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Besides fairness to the White Sox, one thing Bud Selig needs to take into consideration is the weather. Assuming the weather forecast for Tuesday is OK, it would make absolutely no sense to avoid playing a game that night. The deeper you go into October, the more chance there is of a cold, rainy (or even snowy) front moving in. So, it's a good idea to play games when they're scheduled, instead of postponing them just because a few spoiled players might be tired.

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 07:54 AM
My point is being proven. Relax, it's all good.:hawk

"HE GAWN!"

MJL_Sox_Fan
10-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Did anyone else see the rumor on ESPN.com that MLB was considering a flip-flop of the ALCS and NCLS game 1s so that Yankees/Angels would have a days rest? link below:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=2186217

How is this fair?

Sox PA
10-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Finally, a rainy forecast is a good thing. According to weather.com, there is a 30% chance of rain on Wednesday and Thursday in Chicago at USCF (zip 60616). I don't see how MLB can risk pushing back Tuesday's game.

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=60616&from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

Wsoxmike59
10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep10.html

AL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
Los Angeles or New York
vs. White Sox
Game 1: Tuesday, Los Angeles-New York winner at SOX, 7:20 p.m.
Game 2: Wednesday, Los Angeles-New York winner at SOX, 7:20 p.m.
Game 3: Friday, SOX at Los Angeles-New York winner, 7:10 p.m.
Game 4: Saturday, SOX at Los Angeles-New York winner, 7:15 p.m.
Game 5: Sunday, SOX at Los Angeles-New York winner, 3:35 p.m.*
Game 6: Tuesday, Oct. 18, Los Angeles-New York winner at SOX, 7:20 p.m.*
Game 7: Wednesday, Oct. 19, Los Angeles-New York winner at SOX, 7:20 p.m.*
*if necessary