PDA

View Full Version : hope Ray doesn't see this

Vsahajpal
12-10-2001, 12:07 PM
http://www.strikethree.com/prosten.shtml

The White Sox drafted Tim Hummel nine picks after the Cubs drafted Hill in 2000, and have to be happy with him as well. He also handled AA pitching at age 22, though didn't show proficiency in one area like Hill did. He's solid across the board, but has good gap power. He hit 33 doubles to go with his seven home runs and should be a 15-20 HR guy in the majors.

Hummel knows what he's doing at the plate and has good enough tools to play second base and could back up at shortstop. If he continues to develop, he'll be a valuable hitter and could force Ray Durham out of Chicago by 2003.

:ray

"15-20 HR? I'll reach that by the all-star break!"

But Ray, Tim is 6'2 205 and looks like Jeff Kent...not Clark Kent

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 12:13 PM
I hope "Fire Hydrant" Durham does see that. It would be nice to see him actually try to get to a ground ball once in a while.

Hey, it's tough to snag grounders when you are thinking about the dinger you're going to hit in your next at bat!

:hitless

Don't listen to that guy, Ray. If you don't get to them, you can't miss them. And then people will think you are a great fielder!

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 04:56 PM
I agree Ray needs an attitude adj at the plate, but there isn;t a better 2b outside of Roberto, so why why why do you all have to dis Ray Ray when
the Sox have so many more dis-able characters?

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
I agree Ray needs an attitude adj at the plate, but there isn;t a better 2b outside of Roberto, so why why why do you all have to dis Ray Ray when
the Sox have so many more dis-able characters? All who deserve to be dissed get dissed. Ray has all the talent in the world. But, he has less range on ground balls than Boone or Counsell. How can that be? Perhaps because scrambling for grounders isn't as glamorous as hitting home runs? Maybe he wants to keep his error count down. I don't know. But, he needs to try harder. Period.

RedPinStripes
12-10-2001, 05:14 PM
Ray Ray = good trade bait to me. Bring it tim!

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
All who deserve to be dissed get dissed. Perhaps because scrambling for grounders isn't as glamorous as hitting home runs? Maybe he wants to keep his error count down. I don't know. But, he needs to try harder. Period.

Hey, its not like he's making 10 mil a year!

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 05:58 PM

Hey, its not like he's making 10 mil a year! He's a highly paid professional athelete. There is no excuse for dogging it on ground balls.

RedPinStripes
12-10-2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
He's a highly paid professional athelete. There is no excuse for dogging it on ground balls.

Or the long fly outs as a leadoff man.

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 06:18 PM
Just a little humor there, Far West, I just don't
think Sox can get a better 2b for '02. Hummel sounds good from what i've read but i went to several sox spring training games in '01 and I
don't think hummel was even on st squad, i'd rather see him a bit at end of year before handing
him the job/unless of course sox are not planning on contending in '02-- besides I see a big year from ray-ray, hopefully he learned in '01 crybabying doesn't improve his game.

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 06:21 PM
think Sox can get a better 2b for '02.But they could have a much better second baseman for 2002. They just have to find a doctor that can treat Ray for cranialsphincteritis. :smile:

Daver
12-10-2001, 06:21 PM
the Sox have so many more dis-able characters?

The fact that Ray has a habit of having the same mobility as a Buddy Lee doll at 2B on occasion makes him very dis-able.

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by daver

The fact that Ray has a habit of having the same mobility as a Buddy Lee doll at 2B on occasion makes him very dis-able. "Ray wants to be like Buddy Lee..."

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 06:37 PM
And now you're talkin smack about Buddy Lee? You guys are unbelievable.

RedPinStripes
12-10-2001, 06:57 PM
AKA: "Wille Mays Hays"

Daver
12-10-2001, 06:59 PM
And now you're talkin smack about Buddy Lee? You guys are unbelievable.

You should see what I have said about Royce Clayton in the past.

Buddy Lee is tame compared to that.

Ask anyone here.

Jerry_Manuel
12-10-2001, 07:14 PM
think Sox can get a better 2b for '02. Hummel sounds good from what i've read but i went to several sox spring training games in '01 and I
don't think hummel was even on st squad

Not that it matters but I recall Hummel playing in the 2001 spring training games.

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 07:29 PM
You may be right, JM, I just don't recall him there/besides, i'm not saying sox should absolutely not trade him(durham) or anyone for that matter
, but if hummel falls through what other options
do the sox have at 2nd/Sox fans should remember from history the nadir that positions like 2b and 3b can become

Daver
12-10-2001, 07:45 PM
You may be right, JM, I just don't recall him there/besides, i'm not saying sox should absolutely not trade him(durham) or anyone for that matter
, but if hummel falls through what other options
do the sox have at 2nd/Sox fans should remember from history the nadir that positions like 2b and 3b can become

Is that a reference to the Steve Sax era?

:chunks