PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite promotion?

LongLiveFisk
10-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Can't remember if this was recently discussed or not..sorry if it was...

My favorite promotion was the Carlton Fisk growth chart (lifesize poster) given away back in August, 1990. I ended up getting 2 of them, which I still have today.

When I was a little kid, I loved helmet day. Wish I still had those.

ajtokarz
10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I loved Fisk Growth Chart Day......I also loved picture day.
Getting in one of the two lines and seeing who you'd land. I was rather young at the time, but I do remember one of my favorite ones was my picture with me and Karkovice. I was beyond upset since it wasn't Fisk, since growing up my idols were Fisk and Kittle. But Karko was really cool about it, and was not at all a pompous fool about having to stand there with a bunch of kids for a half hour (I think) before the game.

Much better promos back in the day.......

Also, my first game was Ron Kittle Bat Day.......Man do i miss the old ballpark....

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Hawk and DJ bobble head doll day. I still have mine sitting on my desk.

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I always liked bat day. My favorite is Fuji Film Photo Day, taking pics of the guys as they walked around the warning track. Almost everybody was easy to talk to, especially Sandy Alomar, Paul Konerko :o:, and Rocky Biddle.

The only two jerks I ever met there: Royce Clayton and Jose Conseco.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
The only two jerks I ever met there: Royce Clayton and Jose Conseco.

I can't believe that.

Domeshot17
10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
This will sound dumb, but my favorite is Half Way to St Pattys Day, even though they dont give out the green hats. My Birthday is March 17, and only once did I ever get to see a Sox game live on my bday ( dad flew me to see them when I was a kid, missed 3 days of school!) So it gives me a chance to feel like im at a game on my birthday, which is awesome.

mike squires
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
I enjoyed any bobblehead day. I hate to see them start to do away with this promotion. I agree, promotions used to be better back in the day.

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I can't believe that.

Yeah, big surprise.

I just remembered this, my wife and I were on two different commercials for that day over the years. I used to get calls all the time, "Dude, you were on a Sox commercial, how cool!"

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 10:41 PM
When I was younger, the coolest was getting a bat, and it was a decent sized one (obviously not major league, but I was expecting those little toy ones from the gift shop)

These days, I love any money saving one (half price, college discount, $1 hotdog, etc) :redneck

Brian26
10-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah, big surprise.

I just remembered this, my wife and I were on two different commercials for that day over the years. I used to get calls all the time, "Dude, you were on a Sox commercial, how cool!"

I actually though Canseco did well for us in his half-year here, but Clayton was a disaster. Did he have his shoes on for the photo?

MUsoxfan
10-09-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna love that World Series promotion they'll have

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:51 PM
I actually though Canseco did well for us in his half-year here, but Clayton was a disaster. Did he have his shoes on for the photo?

I think that was the same year as the Big Shoe Debacle. Had I known it was coming......

I'll try and find the pic of Canseco and scan it. Too funny, posing like he's a stud.

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I remember a "Mexico Day" promotion during the pajama-tops-and-shorts era of Bill Veeck. I wasn't there, but I watched the game on channel 44 as a kid, and it was briefly delayed at the start because one of the infielders (my guess is Orta, but it's just a guess cuz I was a little kid at the time and I don't really remember who it was for sure) was wearing his sombreo on the field. The ump made him take it off and put his regulation hat on before he'd allow the Sox to throw the first pitch. Priceless Veeck-inspired shenanigans!

Garland_IS_God
10-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Can't remember if this was recently discussed or not..sorry if it was...

My favorite promotion was the Carlton Fisk growth chart (lifesize poster) given away back in August, 1990. I ended up getting 2 of them, which I still have today.

When I was a little kid, I loved helmet day. Wish I still had those.

I have about 5 of those and a ton of Bo Jackson ones too. The best giveaways is a toss up between the baseball bats and the baseball cards with the black Donruss card holder books from the early 90's.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm gonna love that World Series promotion they'll have

I was gonna say...

How about that "Extra games in October" promotion they are currently running?

Garland_IS_God
10-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Its funny that this thread was just created because I was cleaning out my closet a few days ago and found a ton of Sox giveaways from when my dad worked security at Comiskey. I have a huge collection of pins, baseball cards, helmets, gloves, calling cards, posters...etc; everything imaginable. I never realized there was so much stuff. It brings back a lot of great memories from being a kid.

lumpyspun
10-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Great thread:

I agree that photo day was always my favorite as a kid. In fact, the photo day I attended almost 20 years ago will definely help me out here in the next few weeks...When someone says, "oh you must have jumped on the White Sox bandwagon" All i have to do is whip out my old crusty photo of Harold and Carlton from photo day back in the summer of '88.

ChiSoxGirl
10-10-2005, 12:05 AM
I always liked Fuji Film Photo Day. The first time I went to it was in 2002, and the feeling I had walking through the center field tunnel and onto the warning track was one I'll never, ever forget; I had chills. Seeing the majesty that is Comiskey Park from that vantage point, and seeing how high that outfield wall really is (and how high Rowand really has to jump) was one of the greatest things ever!

StillMissOzzie
10-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Its funny that this thread was just created because I was cleaning out my closet a few days ago and found a ton of Sox giveaways from when my dad worked security at Comiskey. I have a huge collection of pins, baseball cards, helmets, gloves, calling cards, posters...etc; everything imaginable. I never realized there was so much stuff. It brings back a lot of great memories from being a kid.

I have always liked the baseball cards, the bobbleheads, and the pins.

My favorite will be World Series replica rings to everyone on Opening Day 2006.

SMO
:gulp:

Garland_IS_God, if you wanna get rid of some of that stuff, give me a PM!

Steelrod
10-10-2005, 09:23 AM
No question about it!

4/1/2006 World Series Ring Day. Heres hoping!

LongLiveFisk
10-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Great thread:

I agree that photo day was always my favorite as a kid. In fact, the photo day I attended almost 20 years ago will definely help me out here in the next few weeks...When someone says, "oh you must have jumped on the White Sox bandwagon" All i have to do is whip out my old crusty photo of Harold and Carlton from photo day back in the summer of '88.

LOL..Fisk photo day, 1988...my friend and I walked all over the ballpark collecting those from people who just discarded them into the seats. I ended up with about 40 by the end of the night and I still have them! :tongue:

34 Inch Stick
10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
As a kid I liked Circus Day. They would march the different animals around the warning track before the game. I also liked Little League Day in which they exchanged the animals for kids in their little league uniforms.

DaleJRFan
10-10-2005, 11:34 AM
What about Core of the Core day?!?!?!

Hangar18
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Bobblehead days I love. Dont know Why we didnt have one this year.
There are so many players that deserve their own bobblehead. Ozzie, BlackJack McDowell, Bo Jackson, Tad Iguchi, Aaron Rowand, Buehrle,
Garland, Jenks now ..............

SoxFan78
10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
It was one of the Cub/Sox games a couple of years ago. The giveaway was a 1983 Sox Uniform bottle coozie. I still use it every time I tailgate and it looks great!

skottyj242
10-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Although it's not my favorite of all time I absolutely had a blast at Mullett night this season. A buddy and myself each had wigs, he wore jean overalls and no t-shirt, I wore camo pants and a trucker sleveless jacket with no t-shirt. We looked like complete idiots and got rip roaring drunk but man did we have a great time. I also love wearing my jumpsuit for Elvis Day.

The Critic
10-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I agree with the money-savers being my current faves :D: , but as a kid I really liked the batting helmet, rain slicker, seat cushion and player jersey t-shirt days. I still have a tiny little Bill Melton jersey t-shirt ( pinstripes on the front only, lol ) and an old seat cushion ( YAGO and baseball, now THAT's class! :redneck ), both of which I cherish.

LongLiveFisk
10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Bobblehead days I love. Dont know Why we didnt have one this year.
There are so many players that deserve their own bobblehead. Ozzie, BlackJack McDowell, Bo Jackson, Tad Iguchi, Aaron Rowand, Buehrle,
Garland, Jenks now ..............

If the rest are anything like the Fisk bobblehead giveaway, what a nightmare! I remember the super long lines that probably formed over 3 or 4 hrs just for this thing. I ended up not even getting one, which pissed me off as you can understand from my name. :smile:

TheArmyOfNeems
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
i still have white sox gloves from the last 80's i got as a child

Madvora
10-10-2005, 05:18 PM
- I got a baseball glove as a kid
- Baseball cards in 1987
- The Fisk growth chart, my brother got a Baines one once.
- Chicago American Giants hat
- 1959 Sox hat
- Rally towels at Game 1 of ALDS (they worked)

I always liked the Sox calendar the best.

JackParkman
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
What the ... ? No votes for Disco Demolition?

soxfanreggie
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I had a lady offer me $20-$25 for my Fisk bobblehead, but I wouldn't part with it. She had a trashbag full of them already, and I know she didn't have that many kids/nieces/nephews. It is sitting in it's box next to my Rollie Fingers bobblehead from my first trip to Miller Park. I hope the Sox come up with some great promotions, but my all time favorite would be a ring day :cool: . I would definitely have to pick one of those up.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-10-2005, 07:29 PM
i miss the bobbleheads and wish they'd bring them back.

is anyone dissapointed with the rally towels they handed out for the 1st alds game? they were pretty lame. nothing on there at all about the division series.

whtsx1959
10-10-2005, 08:49 PM
You have to love the original Throwback Day in 1990.
They did everything right, from what I've seen.
Nowadays they just do Throwback Jerseys.:(:

I'd love to see a Throwforward Day.

Garland_IS_God
10-10-2005, 10:40 PM
You have to love the original Throwback Day in 1990.
They did everything right, from what I've seen.
Nowadays they just do Throwback Jerseys.:(:

I'd love to see a Throwforward Day.

Didn't they have a futures game a few years back maybe 1996-97? I could've swore I seen the Pittsburg Pirates wearing these very strange "futuristic" jerseys along with the Seattle Mariners on ESPN years back. I dont think they were playing each other because it was before Interleague was brought back. Anybody else remember this? I tried searching for pictures of the jerseys but no luck.

I want Mags back
10-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Didn't they have a futures game a few years back maybe 1996-97? I could've swore I seen the Pittsburg Pirates wearing these very strange "futuristic" jerseys along with the Seattle Mariners on ESPN years back. I dont think they were playing each other because it was before Interleague was brought back. Anybody else remember this? I tried searching for pictures of the jerseys but no luck.

I remember those. The names went verticle on the right side of the back of it. It was so ugly.

I luv Bat DAy. I remember going to a game when I was 5 or so and i got one, and it was just really neat to get a bat. Bobbleheads are cool. I still have my '64 hat from Turn back the Clock night in '94. Hat days are always cool.

RadioheadRocks
10-14-2005, 03:31 AM
One promotion I remember that was a bit unusual was back in 1986, there was White Sox Musical Headband Day (!!!). They were like those terrycloth headbands made popular by punky QB Jim McMahon and they had a musical chip installed that would play "Na-Na-Hey-Hey" when activated. I still have mine put away somewhere. I also remember they were sponsored by Kitty Litter (of all things!!!).

RadioheadRocks
10-14-2005, 03:48 AM

I just did a pretty extensive Google search and found that this was a 1999 promotion by Century 21 Realty called "Turn Ahead The Clock". I found quite a few articles regarding this event, however NO pictures anywhere!!! (gee I wonder why???)

VenturaSoxFan23
10-14-2005, 11:12 AM
My first Sox game was a kids' rain slicker day in 1980. It would have come in handy if we sat in the open space, because with the Sox losing to Milwaukee 11-1, I can imagine a lot of beer getting thrown from the upper deck.

Seat cushion day was cool; we went to so many of them. My brother and I would just take the seat cushions and beat the heck out of each other until the plastic fell off. Wish we saved at least one.

The best thing about the first Turn Back The Clock Day was that they shut the scoreboards off and installed a manual scoreboard. No PA announcing, except for the guys walking around with megaphones letting you know of any change in the line-up.

dirty_k
10-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Now I'm too old for them so calander days and hat days are great for me.
I never made it for a bobble head day (other than Hawk and Wimpy's - not so sure they count) but bought a give-away Ordonez one for like $70 on eBay. Who would have thought a give-away could be worth so much. Oh, I did get a Sosa Cub once - walked in Wrigley with friend, got bobble-head and walked out.
Extra games in October are the best!

Regarding turn ahead the clock night. I drank a lot that Friday night but I do remember being surprised with a silver (slightly relective) give-away hat (Century 21 logo on back) and that the uniforms (white with navy blue?) were rather tacky. Can't really recall what else they did.

Law11
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I always liked the helmets. I have my red Dick Allen style helmet to this day.

Law11
10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
My first Sox game was a kids' rain slicker day in 1980. It would have come in handy if we sat in the open space, because with the Sox losing to Milwaukee 11-1, I can imagine a lot of beer getting thrown from the upper deck.

Seat cushion day was cool; we went to so many of them. My brother and I would just take the seat cushions and beat the heck out of each other until the plastic fell off. Wish we saved at least one.

The best thing about the first Turn Back The Clock Day was that they shut the scoreboards off and installed a manual scoreboard. No PA announcing, except for the guys walking around with megaphones letting you know of any change in the line-up.

I think I went to the last seat cushion day.. The sox blew the game and they turned into frisbees.. Hence no more Cushion days..

VenturaSoxFan23
10-14-2005, 12:07 PM
The ones we had (white with blue lettering) sported the Sox batting logo on the front and it said in big letters "Sit On It!" on the back. Anybody recall what this was an ad for? I'll say it was about 1980 or '81.

ElevenUp
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
I still wear my "Chicago American Giants Negro League" hat all the time. I've got a big melon and it's one of the only baseball caps that I've owned that actually fits.

IronFisk
10-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Since I'm a cheap Polack, it has to be Turn Back the Clock Day. I think in 1995, tickets were like $1.50 each.

However, STILL waiting for DIME BEER NIGHT.