PDA

View Full Version : Question About the 1991 Uniform

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
I own an authentic Rawlings 1991 White Sox black alternate game jersey. I was a kid just out of college and barely working at the time, so I couldn't afford the extra $$$ to have it customized. Now I want to get the custom work done, but I am a bit fuzzy on a few of the details and I would appreciate anyone's help.

If you'll recall, the '91 black alternate jersey was quite similar to the current model, but without the grey and white piping on the sleeves. I am 90% certain that the number appears on both the back and the front of the jersey, but what I can't recall for sure is whether or not the player's name was on the back. I seem to remember the name not being added to the back of the black alternate until a year or two later, but I can't say for certain.

Also, did the numbers have grey trim, or were they solid white in '91? I am wanting to say it was grey trim, but again I can't recall for sure. And was the Sox diamond patch on the left sleeve? Pretty sure it wasn't, but I don't want to leave it off if my memory is failing me here.

Finally, does anyone know where I can locate the New Comiskey Innaugural patch from that year? I have been checking eBay for months, with no luck. Here it is:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/comiskey91.jpg
Obviously, I should have spent a little less money on beer that year and just had the jersey customized when I bought it. Oh well! Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light here.

GO SOX!

Brian26
10-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Great questions.

The diamond sock logo was NOT on the sleeve. Only the inaugural Comiskey patch was on the sleeve.

The backs of the jerseys DID have the player names.

All of the numbers and letters were white with a border of silver. There was not an extra black border in between like there is now...it was just white with silver trim outline.

For the patch, keep an eye on Ebay or check with Grandstand. It might be tough to find.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Check these pics out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Leaf-Chicago-White-Sox-Team-Set-22-Cards-Ventura_W0QQitemZ8706326291QQcategoryZ55935QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Grandstand does have the Inaugaural Year Patch.

And YES, the jersey looked horrid without the gray and white stripes on the sleeves, and with just the white numbers with gray trim. Our numbers now
have the gray and blk trim on the numbers and looks Awesome

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks much! The pictures are especially helpful. One of the things one has to get used to as a Sox fan is, when you Google something like "white sox uniform history" you get a LOT of Red Sox info, but not much that is relevant to the original question! I've read WSI's uniform history (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104), but it doesn't get very specific about subtle differences within the same era.

It truly is a beautiful jersey, and with the pinstripe home pants it's probably my favorite uniform in franchise history, right up there with the '67 road blue*. The extra white and the sleeve trim on the current version throws off the simple beauty of it, for me.

*RELATED TOPIC: I would love to get my hands on a '67 road jersey (replica-- because I still spend way too much on beer to afford the real deal) #28, baby! It was the year I was born, Wood's first year here, pennant chase, and a sweet looking jersey to boot. All I ever see around that's even close is the '68 Aparicio. :?: ~sigh~

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Grandstand does have the Inaugaural Year Patch.

Do they? I was there just a couple weeks ago, and the guy I talked to said they didn't have it and they haven't had it in quite some time. If this is true, I am there tomorrow. Thanks for the info!!!

bahn1225
10-09-2005, 07:50 PM
And YES, the jersey looked horrid without the gray and white stripes on the sleeves, and with just the white numbers with gray trim. Our numbers now
have the gray and blk trim on the numbers and looks Awesome

Your knowledge of all things SOX is far greater than mine.
You are correct about the patch, the name and numbers.
However I have this jersey hanging in my closet
and it does have a gray stripe then a white stripe on the sleeves.

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 07:58 PM
However I have this jersey hanging in my closet
and it does have a gray stripe then a white stripe on the sleeves.
Then I don't think your jersey is from '91. Check the pics in Brian's post. Grey and white stripes on the sleeves were not added until after the '91 season.

bahn1225
10-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Well then did the sleeves and numbers and letters all change the same year?

I can't remember what year I purchased the jersey at Grandstand
(it's hell getting old) but it was definitely the early 90's.

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 08:20 PM

I can't remember what year I purchased the jersey at Grandstand
(it's hell getting old) but it was definitely the early 90's.I got mine in July of 1991, at (of all places) not Grandstand or even the ballpark, but the Sears Tower souvenir shop(!). It's the real deal, authentic Rawlings, size 42. It was cheapest there, if you can believe that! I was working in Southern Indiana back then, and only got to 5 games that season. But five tives I stared at that damn inaugural patch, and FIVE TIMES I said, "Nah, I'll buy it next time." I haven't seen it for sale since, though I've heard it's been on eBay in the past... I just so happen to be a crappy eBayer. If what Hangar says about Grandstand is true, I'll be quite thrilled. :D:

ajtokarz
10-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Great questions.

The diamond sock logo was NOT on the sleeve. Only the inaugural Comiskey patch was on the sleeve.

You might want to check this one out.......I think the Diamond Patch Was on the sleeve.....

http://www.dugout-memories.com/whitesox.html

...Just adding my two cents, check at the bottom of the page.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
You might want to check this one out.......I think the Diamond Patch Was on the sleeve.....

http://www.dugout-memories.com/whitesox.html

...Just adding my two cents, check at the bottom of the page.

And it is incorrect. It's a mistake by Mitchell and Ness.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:40 PM

No, they changed gradually over time, which makes it confusing.

1991: black jersey with no sleeve piping, no diamond sock, inaugural comiskey patch, letters and numbers with only silver trim.

1992: white/grey piping is added to the sleeves, inaugural comiskey patch taken off, still no diamond sock on sleeve, trim is still silver.

1993: diamond sock logo added to sleeve, black trim is added between white numbers/letters and silver trim.

So, they essentially changed the jersey three times in three years. I was a little pissed about the '93 change, because I purchased the black jersey in '92 (so I have the sleeve piping, but no diamond sock logo or black trim). The '93 jersey has been the same ever since.

I just did a quick check of my baseball cards to verify all of this too, so I think it's correct.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:42 PM
No, they changed gradually over time, which makes it confusing.

1991: black jersey with no sleeve piping, no diamond sock, inaugural comiskey patch, letters and numbers with only silver trim.

1992: white/grey piping is added to the sleeves, inaugural comiskey patch taken off, still no diamond sock on sleeve, trim is still silver.

1993: diamond sock logo added to sleeve, black trim is added between white numbers/letters and silver trim.

So, they essentially changed the jersey three times in three years. I was a little pissed about the '93 change, because I purchased the black jersey in '92 (so I have the sleeve piping, but no diamond sock logo or black trim). The '93 jersey has been the same ever since.

I just did a quick check of my baseball cards to verify all of this too, so I think it's correct.

One other very small change to the jersey, just to correct myself:

The buttons on the jersey used to be clear (which makes them almost appear white in old photos). These buttons are now black. This change happened sometime around '96 or '97. I'll have to do a little research on this to verify it....

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Check these pics out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Leaf-Chicago-White-Sox-Team-Set-22-Cards-Ventura_W0QQitemZ8706326291QQcategoryZ55935QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

This card seems to be the best proof of the Mitchell and Ness error:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/1991u.jpg
The Inaugural patch is on the right sleeve, and the left sleeve is blank. Note the absence of grey and white stripes on sleeves. I still love that original Black Sunday look!

Also, the buttons on my '91 jersey are white, not clear. Did they go clear after '91, then go black?

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Also, the buttons on my '91 jersey are white, not clear. Did they go clear after '91, then go black?

Hmm...I'm looking at my '92 jersey right now. The buttons are definitely not solid white. They are more opaque or clear, so I'm going to say they went clear in '92.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
I've narrowed down the switch from clear buttons to black buttons to either 2000 or 2001. I have some baseball cards from '99 where the clear buttons are definitely present, and I have some cards from 2001 that definitely have black buttons.

It appears that the buttons in 2000 were black, but I'm not 100% sure.

ajtokarz
10-09-2005, 10:23 PM
And it is incorrect. It's a mistake by Mitchell and Ness.

I stand corrected, my apologies Brian. Thanks for the info though!

Brian26
10-10-2005, 09:07 AM
I stand corrected, my apologies Brian. Thanks for the info though!

No need to apologize. Mitchell and Ness should apologize. They seem to make a lot of small mistakes. They have a throwback Fisk jersey on that site too, but it's labeled "1980"- and we all know Fisk didn't come to the Sox until '81. And the '72 batting practice jersey they sell never actually existed back then, so that's somewhat of a mistake too.

RetireWoodys28
10-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Mitchell and Ness should apologize. They seem to make a lot of small mistakes.
I'm wondering now if the patch on the right sleeve of that '91 Jackson jersey is even an Inaugural patch, or if they just threw on one of the subsequent variants that the Sox have since replaced the original with.

By the way, I just got off the phone with Grandstand and they say they definitely do not carry the Inaugural patch. All of the Comiskey Park sleeve patches look quite similar, but it has evolved slightly over the years and there are season-to-season variations. The '91 patch is the only variant which includes the phrase "Inaugural Year," and it has "19" and "91" on either corner.

Unregistered
10-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Do they? I was there just a couple weeks ago, and the guy I talked to said they didn't have it and they haven't had it in quite some time. If this is true, I am there tomorrow. Thanks for the info!!!Yeah, I was there yesterday - they have a few in the glass cases in front of the jerseys/hats. Make a left when you walk in and it's in the corner by what little ALC Division Champs stuff they have left. In the case right next to the unused 1982 "phantom" playoff tickets...

I own that patch as well and I'm almost positive it was the same one. It's such a madhouse over there that they might have just overlooked it or something.

RetireWoodys28
10-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I was there yesterday - they have a few in the glass cases in front of the jerseys/hats.

OK, so I went down to Grandstand today over lunch and checked out the patch you mentioned. This is the patch they have for sale in the glass case:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/comiskey05.jpg
Unfortunately, this is NOT the Inaugural year patch, though it looks very similar. Here is the patch I am tryng to locate:
They are pretty similar, but the Inaugural patch is the one I need, and finding it has not proven to be a very easy task.

chisoxfan64
10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Just saw this a few minutes ago.http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-White-Sox-91-Inaugural-Season-Game-Jersey-Patch_W0QQitemZ8707114464QQcategoryZ86829QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Unregistered
10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
OK, so I went down to Grandstand today over lunch and checked out the patch you mentioned. This is the patch they have for sale in the glass case:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/comiskey05.jpg
Unfortunately, this is NOT the Inaugural year patch, though it looks very similar. Here is the patch I am tryng to locate:

They are pretty similar, but the Inaugural patch is the one I need, and finding it has not proven to be a very easy task.
Ah, I see. Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase... :redface:

bahn1225
10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Brian26,

You certainly know your uniform trivia!
Thanks for clearing it up.

Now Then:
What about the small diamond patches the SOX have had on the uniform?
I believe one was to honor the passing of JR's secretary
and another was for Ron Schueler's late wife.

Have the SOX ever done this (honor a person) since then?

And were the patches silver or white?