PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice how FOX & ESPN continue to IGNORE SOX?

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Before the playoffs began, both networks began their media blitz, touting the playoffs how exciting the games are going to be. Both networks brazenly showed tons of RedSox and Yankee clips, while showing NO white sox clips.
The White Sox have now moved on, and what are we seeing in the last 2 days?
All Yankee clips. Did they get the Memo that the Chicago White SOX are ALSO in the playoffs, and have actually defeated the Red Sox?

On this same note, another ESPN moment particularly infuriated me. Just hours after Sweeping the Red Sox, ESPN talks about the game and goes to the hilites of the 5-3 SOX win over Boston. All 3 of Bostons runs were shown, pumped up and analyzed. The White Sox? Bahhhhhhhhhh. They showed Konerkos home-run .................and El Duque striking out Damon. That was it.

The common viewer wouldve that at that moment that Boston Mustve won, they just showed a bunch of Red Sox hilites and analyzed the heck out of the moves. They DIDNT EVEN SHOW THE SUICIDE SQUEEZE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Immediately afterwards, they cut to a guy live at Fenway Park, and the storyline was, "whats going to happen to the RedSox in the offseason"? lamenting the fact that a number of players are FreeAgents. They showed all the players and talked about them in depth .........The whole time im thinking .............What the hell is wrong with everyone??? THE WHITE SOX JUST WON A SERIES.........SOMETHING THEY HAVNT DONE IN 88 YEARS??!!!
Whats wrong with this picture???? As I type this ......FOX shows another of those "you cant script October". You know that one, the one theyve played all week ............that featured Yankee and Red Sox highlites? Now theyve simply added a couple of Angels hilites into the reel. Ive YET to see a WHITESOX hilite in any of their commercials. BOGUS.

SoxFan76
10-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Hangar, I know you get a lot of crap from people about the media bias, but I also noticed this. I mean it was BLATANT bias towards the east coast teams. ESPN is COMPLETELY ignoring the White Sox. Yes, the 99 win White Sox who are on their way to the ALCS and won their first post season series since 1917.

Ridiculous.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 06:17 PM
:whocares

All I know is White Sox fans don't have to worry about
Crisp Burrhead and his "backbackbackbackback" crap
anymore this year.Thank God Fox runs the ALCS + NLCS.
As bad as Joe Buck and Mr.Obvious,Tim "if you throw strikes,
you keep your infielders on their toes" McGarver (sp??) are
(YEECH!!),you've got a fighting chance to get one or two
good mentions for your ball club.Maybe.

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
and for anyone who may have Recorded the game 3 sweep, im sure your going to be furious over ESPN's 9th inning coverage. The White SOX are 1 out away from sweeping Boston, the tension in Chicagoland is Sky High ...........every bar and household is watching this tense moment ..........after all, its been 88 years since we won a post-season series. What does ESPN do? Realizing the We-love-the-red-sox-train was about to come to a halt, they inexplicably run the final out of the 2004 world series, where Mientkiwiecz catches the ball and jumps on Keith Foulke? they show the Red Sox mobbing each other ......
Again im thinking ..........What the Hell was that shown for? They couldve shown the 93 Sox clincher .....or the 1983 sox clincher ........but no ......ESPN figured UHOH, we better empty the Red Sox hilite reels NOW......were done.

What bias right?:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
and for anyone who may have Recorded the game 3 sweep, im sure your going to be furious over ESPN's 9th inning coverage. The White SOX are 1 out away from sweeping Boston, the tension in Chicagoland is Sky High ...........every bar and household is watching this tense moment ..........after all, its been 88 years since we won a post-season series. What does ESPN do? Realizing the We-love-the-red-sox-train was about to come to a halt, they inexplicably run the final out of the 2004 world series, where Mientkiwiecz catches the ball and jumps on Keith Foulke? they show the Red Sox mobbing each other ......
Again im thinking ..........What the Hell was that shown for? They couldve shown the 93 Sox clincher .....or the 1983 sox clincher ........but no ......ESPN figured UHOH, we better empty the Red Sox hilite reels NOW......were done.

C'mon,Hangar.You know and I know that White Sox fans are the ultimate
underdog.The team's not glamorous,there aren't many superstars,and
they're not the sCrUBS.It's the same thing for the Mutts.Anyone who
lives in Noo Yawk knows the Yankmees are going to get all the glory
and the press.For me,it's just a beautiful sight to see the national and
local media FORCED to say something comnplimentary towards the
Sox.It's gotta be killing the CLTV and WGN wonks inside.:D: :D:

TheOldRoman
10-09-2005, 06:34 PM

Sorry, this isn't a valid point. They showed that play because of the possible huge coincidence (which came true afterall) that Edgar Renteria would make the last out of the season for his team while getting swept in the playoffs two consecutive seasons.
While I agree that we got hosed by the media, this is not an instance. Like it or not, the reigning champion being dethroned is a bigger story than a good team winning a series.

C-Dawg
10-09-2005, 06:52 PM
During the Pregame show before the Houston-Atlanta game, Fox actually ran a film that best could be described as an obituary to the Red Sox Championship. They showed a big map, with the voice-over describing the St. Louis-to-Boston-to-all-of-New-England-to-all-of-Red-Sox-Nation celebration, and showing happy groups of fans all over the country ogling over the trophy...etc..etc. Finally, sadly, telling us how the dream has ended and they concluded it with a pic of the trophy with the date Oct. 7, 2005 listed as the day it "died". So sad!!

TornLabrum
10-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Personally I don't have any problem with the mediots ignoring us. In my column this week, I'll be ignoring the mediots and will be writing about the glorious series we concluded Friday evening. The Sox are doing what they've done all year: flying under the radar and wreaking havoc with the opposition. Let's keep it that way for about 8 more games.

I can't wait to see all the stories about Phil Garner or Tony LaRussa in another week or so.

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 07:06 PM
....... Like it or not, the reigning champion being dethroned is a bigger story than a good team winning a series.

Reminds me of 2003, when the Marlins were coming back on the Blue Corporation, and the Cubbies losing was a bigger story than the Marlins winning. Heck, the networks didnt even have cameras set up in MIAMI area bars.....
you know, just in case the Fish pulled one out.

Chips
10-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Let them ignore us, we have been doing just fine all season long playing under the radar. Let's just keep it up.

TheOldRoman
10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Reminds me of 2003, when the Marlins were coming back on the Blue Corporation, and the Cubbies losing was a bigger story than the Marlins winning. Heck, the networks didnt even have cameras set up in MIAMI area bars.....
you know, just in case the Fish pulled one out.
The Cubs losing was a MUCH bigger story than the Marlins winning, just like us blowing a 15 game lead would have been a bigger story than us clinching the division on September 10. The Cubs were leading 3 games to 1. After they lost game 5, they were leading 3 games to 2, going back home, with their two "aces" pitching for them. It was a huge embarrassing failure by the Cubs, the likes of which hadn't been seen in quite some time. Nobody said the Marlins weren't a great team (well, except for maybe the Chicago media), but the bigger story was how a team with it's three best pitchers going in consecutive games pulled off one of the most epic chokes in history.

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 07:20 PM
The Cubs losing was a MUCH bigger story than the Marlins winning, just like us blowing a 15 game lead would have been a bigger story than us clinching the division on September 10. The Cubs were leading 3 games to 1. After they lost game 5, they were leading 3 games to 2, going back home, with their two "aces" pitching for them. It was a huge embarrassing failure by the Cubs, the likes of which hadn't been seen in quite some time. Nobody said the Marlins weren't a great team (well, except for maybe the Chicago media), but the bigger story was how a team with it's three best pitchers going in consecutive games pulled off one of the most epic chokes in history.

NO. thats now how it went down.............The Media all throughout the Playoffs, thru their constant propoganda, sold us on the fact that the Cubs were the UNDERDOGS?? And that that alone was the reason for the extra coverage the Cubs got? Sorry, the Marlins were the true underdogs .......and the little guy won out.

Daver
10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Hangar, it's time to change the tinfoil.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Hangar, it's time to change the tinfoil.No lie. I think his tinfoil has tinfoil now. :o:

Soxfanspcu11
10-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Every time Fox updates it's baseball "coverage", they show the bracket with the remaining teams and who has moved on. Every time they show it, the Sox bracket is in the upper right-hand corner, and EVERY time they write "1917" next to the Sox and then precede to explain that the White Sox have not won a world series since then. Yes of course this is the truth, but is it necessary to show it REPEATEDLY? I'm serious, EVERY SINGLE TIME they have written that in there, give it a rest already!

stosh
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't really care if Fox or Espn ignores us, I think the more we win the rest of the country will jump on board. Most people like the underdog and I can see alot of fans looking at us like an "America's Team". I mean really, what's not to like about these guys? Not a jerk in the bunch, they play fundamental ball most of the time and they play like a true team.

TheOldRoman
10-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Every time Fox updates it's baseball "coverage", they show the bracket with the remaining teams and who has moved on. Every time they show it, the Sox bracket is in the upper right-hand corner, and EVERY time they write "1917" next to the Sox and then precede to explain that the White Sox have not won a world series since then. Yes of course this is the truth, but is it necessary to show it REPEATEDLY? I'm serious, EVERY SINGLE TIME they have written that in there, give it a rest already!
Well, learn to live with it, because throughout the next two series, you will get a lot of that. Fox believes that the White Sox are not a big enough draw by themselves, and they are partially true.
To boost interest and ratings, they will mention "1917" thousands of times, invent a curse (whether it be the curse of Shoeless Joe, the Black Sox, Charles Comiskey, or Comiskey Park), talk about our past failures and misery, compare us to the Red Sox, and finally, compare us to the Cubs. They will try to make a national story of our past futility to make us "loveable losers" in order to boost ratings. <insert puking tag here>

Stroker Ace
10-09-2005, 08:33 PM
And to nit-pick even more, I've only seen the Sox "I live for this" ad on TV twice. TWICE!

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2005, 11:42 PM
FOX and ESPN ignoring the Sox? I never noticed.