PDA

View Full Version : Turns out Jake and Elwood Blues were White Sox fans after all

Fenway
10-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Peter Gammons of all people was talking about how the White Sox had become the second team in the second city and then told this tidbit

He had hear from former Tribune writer David Israel that a key line was deleted from the final cut. It is when Jake and Elwood are pulled over and waiting for the police computer to explode.

Elwood tells Jake not to worry, the address on the license is 1060 W Addison

Jake looks puzzled and says "That's Wrigley Field"

the next line was cut

"That's the last place the cops would find us, we're Sox fans"

Why it was cut by Landis, Gammons has no clue.

He was then asked how the White Sox became less popular and he replied

Harry Caray, Eddie Einhorn, The Chicago Tribune and Ferris Bueller

Bueller he claims planted the seed with many teenagers 20 years ago that Wrigley = party.

On the Tribune he said " generally they are fair on their game coverage, but they never waste a chance to sing the praises of Wrigleyville and knock 35th St in all other parts of the paper.

He told the story of last year a women was attacket in the park next to USCF and The Trib thought it was the crime of the year. Later a fan was shot and killed after a game at Wrigley and the Trib killed the story as much as they could.

Einhorn he says set them back 20 years because of Sportsvision. Selig then banished Einhorn when he sold MLB on the Baseball Network in 1994/5 that was perhaps the worst PR blunder MLB has had in the past 20 years save the strike. ( by banishing told JR not to let him do any more TV work for the team )

Overall I think Gammons has a good feel for the Chicago situation.

SOXintheBURGH
10-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Of course they're Sox fans. Thats hilarious.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Of course they're Sox fans. Thats hilarious.

Yes of course they are I don't think you see many Flubs hats in Calumet City :smile:

The movie made it appear that they were Flubs fans and it never made sense as the movie really was tilted to the South Side. The cut line explains it.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Gammons is wrong about the TV reason. Sportsvision / OnTv Pay Channel was the Einhorn idea which hurt the White Sox. The Sox headed toward's Wirtz TV (and sadly PR) model of no promotion, no free telecasts*. Sure the diehards will pay up but you lose interest in the casual new fan and in time your product is completely forgotten outside of thousands in a city and suburbs of several million.

The baseball network didn't hurt the White Sox and help the Cubs. It hurt all 30 teams as did the strike.

* - Sidebar - Reminescent of the scene in Goodfellas when Paully & henry bought into the bar which Tommy had a big tab but wouldn't pay.

That's the way it is with a wiseguy partner. He gets his money no matter what. You got no business? **** you, pay me. You had a fire? **** you, pay me. The place got hit by lightning and World War Three started in the lounge? **** you, pay me.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 03:22 PM
As I posted he said SportsVision

Then when The Baseball Network bombed Selig told JR to make Eddie silent

Sportsvision was a brillant idea but the White Sox did it 6 years too soon. It may have worked if the city had cable and cost 10 bucks a month. The other problem was the guys 8 miles north were giving the games away on WGN

Einhorn he says set them back 20 years because of Sportsvision

Gammons is wrong about the TV reason. Sportsvision / OnTv Pay Channel was the Einhorn idea which hurt the White Sox. The Sox headed toward's Wirtz TV (and sadly PR) model of no promotion, no free telecasts*. Sure the diehards will pay up but you lose interest in the casual new fan and in time your product is completely forgotten outside of thousands in a city and suburbs of several million.

The baseball network didn't hurt the White Sox and help the Cubs. It hurt all 30 teams as did the strike.

dickallen15
10-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Its interesting that Ferris Buehler is a reason for the Cubs popularity. I saw a segment somewhere where the director or producer of that movie is a huge White Sox fan, and they would have shot the stadium scene in Comiskey Park, but the Sox were on the road when they had to shoot it.

goodsy72
10-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Of course they were fans. They wouldn't send the Nazi's to their favorite ballpark would they? Only the Urinal is that deserving.

CubKilla
10-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Universal just released the 25th Anniversary Edition of "The Blues Brothers". It's supposed to have 32 additional minutes of never-before-seen footage. I haven't seen the Anniversary Edition yet, but hopefully that ".....Sox fans" scene has been re-inserted.

The_Floridian
10-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Of course they were fans. They wouldn't send the Nazi's to their favorite ballpark would they? Only the Urinal is that deserving.

Especially Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis.

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 04:41 PM
that a key line was deleted from the final cut. It is when Jake and Elwood are pulled over and waiting for the police computer to explode.

Elwood tells Jake not to worry, the address on the license is 1060 W Addison

Jake looks puzzled and says "That's Wrigley Field"

the next line was cut

Thats really too bad and a Key blunder they didnt leave that line in the movie. When Jake says "thats wrigley field" ...............and then the cop walks back to the car ..........I got nothing from the line. It was like a punchline was inserted before the joke .........

If that line had been kept intact, both SOX fans and Cub fans couldve at least been in on the joke ............It was one of those "its-a-chicago-thing" lines that couldve been quoted for years and years to come. too bad.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Especially Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis.

If i'm not mistaken isn't the bridge the Nazis were on located in Hyde Park?

Daver
10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
If i'm not mistaken isn't the bridge the Nazis were on located in Hyde Park?

No, it is way north, Evanston I think.

Thats the north branch of the Chicago River

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 05:12 PM

No, it's in Hyde Park. It's behind the Museum of Science and Industry. I have friends from High School that appeared as extras in that scene.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Just did a google search and found this site

It was Jackson Park

http://kevinforsyth.net/film/blues.htm

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Just did a google search and found this site

It was Jackson Park

http://kevinforsyth.net/film/blues.htm

Which doesn't say much. Jackson Park is huge. It extends for miles all down the southern lakefront. It includes the area behind the MSI and the lagoon that bridge goes over.

Daver
10-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Jackson Park is huge, but I thought they filmed that in Evanston for some reason.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Which doesn't say much. Jackson Park is huge. It extends for miles all down the southern lakefront. It includes the area behind the MSI and the lagoon that bridge goes over.

ahhh we have an address

http://www.theybrokemywatch.com/page_nazibridge.html

The Nazi bridge
5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
That's the best news I've ever heard. (No teal)

Fenway
10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
This description of 1060 W is about right

Home of Chicago's lovable losers, Wrigley Field is a North Side landmark and the start of your north to south Blues Brothers tour. Built in 1914, it is only two years younger than Boston's Fenway Park -- the oldest park in the majors. And it's a beauty. If you're lucky, you won't get crushed when leaving a game along with the throngs of other yuppie lemmings. When the Cubs play, the once-dumpy neighborhood comes alive and...blah, blah, blah. Let's get out of this place. I think I'm breaking out in hives. Go Sox!

http://www.theybrokemywatch.com/page_wrigley.html

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 05:44 PM
This description of 1060 W is about right

Home of Chicago's lovable losers, Wrigley Field is a North Side landmark and the start of your north to south Blues Brothers tour. Built in 1914, it is only two years younger than Boston's Fenway Park -- the oldest park in the majors. And it's a beauty. If you're lucky, you won't get shot and killed when leaving a game along with the throngs of other yuppie lemmings. When the Cubs play, the once-dumpy neighborhood comes alive and...blah, blah, blah. Let's get out of this place. I think I'm breaking out in hives. Go Sox!

http://www.theybrokemywatch.com/page_wrigley.html

Fixed that for ya.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Where's Bob's Country Bunker? I had heard it was in Kokomo, Indiana. Any truth to it?

Soxfanspcu11
10-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Where's Bob's Country Bunker? I had heard it was in Kokomo, Indiana. Any truth to it?

Yes, in the movie, Elwood clearly says as the open their set, "Were the Good Ole' Boy Blues band from Chicago, it's good to be here in Kokomo". Although I heard a rumor that that scene was filmed in Cedar Lake, :?: , who knows, it's probably not true but it could be.

And of course Jake and Elwood would be sox fans. They are south siders with a Webster's dictionary definition of "blue collar". I really don't think they would support a team/organization that looks down on people that actually have to work. The Blues Brothers being Cubs fans would go against everything they stand for in the movie.

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH man, that would've been so ****ing cool!

Viva Medias B's
10-09-2005, 10:23 PM
The Nazi bridge was in Jackson Park, but it was probably meant to be in Marquette Park. Those of you who were around during the late '70s probably recall why.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 10:25 PM
ahhh we have an address

The Nazi bridge
5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago

Yep, that's MSI, but the bridge is actually about .5 or so miles south of there and well off of LSD. I guess they just count it as the museum because it is part of that property.

That area is known as Wooded Isle. It's actually pretty cool...

DumpJerry
10-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Voodoo is right. I'm also from Hyde Park. It is one of the bridges to the Wooded Island. If you've read "Devil in White City," you will get some of its history.

Clarence Darrow's ashes were spread from that bridge. It is ironic that it would be used for a Nazi rally in a movie. Darrow was a founder of the ACLU, the Free Speech advocates who defended the Nazi's right to assemble and disseminate their speech.

Let's avoid a deabte about the ACLU to keep this out of the ****house. I made the above statements only to be historical observations, not political opinions.

CubKilla
10-09-2005, 10:59 PM
"Bob's Country Bunker" was a film set on Universal's back lot. The interior's for the "Palace Hotel Ballroom", which is actually the South Shore Country Club on the exteriors, was shot at Hollywood's Palladium Theatre.

Anything else ya wanna know about the Blues Brothers, just ask :cool: .

pearso66
10-09-2005, 11:11 PM
I heard that the big police chase at the end, part of it was taped in wauconda, by 12 and 176, if i'm not mistaken.

CubKilla
10-09-2005, 11:14 PM
I heard that the big police chase at the end, part of it was taped in wauconda, by 12 and 176, if i'm not mistaken.

Yeah. That's the part where all the State Police squad cars crash. All the Chicago squad cars crashed at Lake and Lasalle where the NW corner of the State of Illinois Building is now.

Listen next time you see squads crash in "The Blues Brothers". You'll always hear a cop say, "They broke my watch."

Good stuff.

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 11:22 PM
"Bob's Country Bunker" was a film set on Universal's back lot. The interior's for the "Palace Hotel Ballroom", which is actually the South Shore Country Club on the exteriors, was shot at Hollywood's Palladium Theatre.

Anything else ya wanna know about the Blues Brothers, just ask :cool: .

ok smarty pants :D: , you know the scene where they drive to see "the penguin"? They turn right and head towards the Orphanage. Where was that building? (i know the answer)

CubKilla
10-09-2005, 11:28 PM
ok smarty pants :D: , you know the scene where they drive to see "the penguin"? They turn right and head towards the Orphanage. Where was that building? (i know the answer)

It is where the old Schoenhofer (sp?) Brewery was on 18th St..... not in Calumet City like the movie states.

Viva Medias B's
10-10-2005, 07:00 AM
The building where the orphanage was is now a vacant lot, according to the website in this thread.

Where is the tunnel Jake and Elwood drove out of after the "It's 106 miles to Chicago..." line?

FRANK FORT
10-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Where and when did Gammons say this?? I'd like to know as I've been saying to family members for years that it makes no sense that the Blues Brothers would be Cub fans. I need proof for validation.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-10-2005, 08:40 AM
The Nazi bridge was in Jackson Park, but it was probably meant to be in Marquette Park. Those of you who were around during the late '70s probably recall why.

I do believe it was. I was once told that in the book version, that scene was Marquette Park. Nazi headquarters was once on 71st street across from the southeast corner of the park.
I do believe. Much younger back then.

SOXPHILE
10-10-2005, 10:49 AM
The scene where John Candy and the two state troopers he was riding with in car 55 jumped over the grass embankment and crashed into the back of the semi was filmed on Rt 53, just south of Dundee Rd. You can see the Dundee Rd bridge in the distance right as they crash.

Wsoxmike59
10-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Where is the tunnel Jake and Elwood drove out of after the "It's 106 miles to Chicago..." line?

They're on Lower Wacker Drive. I used to drive that stretch a bunch when I worked at the Tribune in High School (mailroom stuff, run the mail to the Main P.O. and I took Lower Wacker Drive many a time!)

miker
10-10-2005, 03:32 PM

What an awesome website! Thanks for sharing.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-10-2005, 06:44 PM
They're on Lower Wacker Drive. I used to drive that stretch a bunch when I worked at the Tribune in High School (mailroom stuff, run the mail to the Main P.O. and I took Lower Wacker Drive many a time!)

he's referring to the sewer-looking tunnel (the one where the star wars chick shoots at them.) they have the car in after they leave the palace hotel i believe. not the tunnel they do the chase in.

ode to veeck
10-11-2005, 06:59 AM
I was also thinking it was one of the bridges to wooded island, behind the museum.

There were a lot of scenes shot on the south side, e.g. the street dance on 43rd st, which used a ton of extras taken right off the street. I believe the Ray Charles and Aretha scenes were also shot on the southeast side in the same area.

Fenway
10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
he's referring to the sewer-looking tunnel (the one where the star wars chick shoots at them.) they have the car in after they leave the palace hotel i believe. not the tunnel they do the chase in.

http://kevinforsyth.net/film/images/tunnel.jpg
Cannon Drive south of Lincoln Park
Chicago