PDA

View Full Version : Da Coach wearing a Sox jersey

Iguana775
10-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Ditka is wearing an 89 jersey with Ditka on the back on ESPN's NFL countdown. how freaking sweet is that?

LET'S GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Ditka is wearing an 89 jersey with Ditka on the back on ESPN's NFL countdown. how freaking sweet is that?

Ha, I was just creating a thread like this but figured I'd check first to see if someone beat me to it. It's cool to see Da Coach showing off some Sox gear.

:iron
"Hey Berman, see this buddy? That's your IQ - zero!"

sas1974
10-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Is that the same coach that "sang" the 7th-inning stretch on the Northside? Twice if I recall correctly. Welcome aboard the bandwagon, Mike.:rolleyes:

SouthSideSlayer
10-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone saw Da Coach (Ditka) wearing a Sox jersey on ESPN. It was nice seeing someone pulling for our Sox. Thanks Coach.
GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!

Clembasbal
10-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Ok, so I just turned it on to take a look. And Berman is comparing the Red Sox to the Patriots and saying that their no running game is just like the Sawx no pitching. And Papi is like Brady.

Sorry, I turned it off.

Kogs35
10-09-2005, 11:11 AM
ditka :bandance:

peeonwrigley
10-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Also of note was an exchange with Ditka ribbing Berman for not eating at his restaurant while in Chicago last week.

It appears, however, that Berman hit up every other restaurant in the Chicagoland area.

FoulTerritory
10-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Is that the same coach that "sang" the 7th-inning stretch on the Northside? Twice if I recall correctly. Welcome aboard the bandwagon, Mike.:rolleyes:

I cut a little slack to Chicago implants. If you weren't born and raised in the Chicago area, then swinging both ways is a bit more acceptable.

I feel the same about Eddie Vedder. He was born in Chicago, but grew up on the West Coast, and ended up liking both teams as representative of his birth home.

Growing up here simply provides the context for the cubs vs. sox rivalry that other Chicago sports fans can't comprehend, so I cut them slack.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Well, well, well... the celebrity bandwagon is rolling ahead full steam now. They've ALWAYS been Sox Fans... just ask 'em.

:cool:

"What can I tell you? The Cubune asked me to sing at the Urinal and I did. Twice. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed it. I live and die with the South Side. They're Grabowskis! GO SOX!"

Mots09
10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Berman also said during game 3 that maybe the Chowds from Yakkkkkkkeeeeeee Way were tired from all the effort they put fourth the last few years..

Berman is a jagoff

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 11:26 AM

Who cares if Ditka sang the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley a few times? It's not like he's saying that he has always been a Sox fan. Ditka's trying to give a little support to a Chicago team that is playing very well right now.

sas1974
10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Who cares if Ditka sang the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley a few times? It's not like he's saying that he has always been a Sox fan. Ditka's trying to give a little support to a Chicago team that is playing very well right now.

I'm glad he's representing Chicago, especially in the face of Berman. I was was just welcoming him aboard the bandwagon. The more the merrier. Every beer, jersey, ticket and churro they buy will help fund next year's effort and help keep my season ticket price in check.

RKMeibalane
10-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Why does this even matter? We know who the real Sox fans are. I don't care if Ditka or anyone else decides to jump on the bandwagon. They'll be gone as soon as the first signs of trouble arise next season.

whitesoxwin
10-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Da Coach is a Flub Fan...

Parrothead
10-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, well, well... the celebrity bandwagon is rolling ahead full steam now. They've ALWAYS been Sox Fans... just ask 'em.

"What can I tell you? The Cubune asked me to sing at the Urinal and I did. Twice. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed it. I live and die with the South Side. They're Grabowskis! GO SOX!"

Agreed.... and LOL :rolling:

flo-B-flo
10-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Did Ditka wear schl-- wear when they were in the playoffs in '03?

CLR01
10-09-2005, 02:00 PM
What a bum.

**** off Coach.

Chips
10-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Jennie Finch and the Bandits did **** for the Sox and sang at the Urinal, Vince Vaughn was a Sox game and sang for the flubs, and so did a bunch of other people. Who cares? Ditka is great.

Erik The Red
10-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Also of note was an exchange with Ditka ribbing Berman for not eating at his restaurant while in Chicago last week.

It appears, however, that Berman hit up every other restaurant in the Chicagoland area.
:rolling:

POTW candidate!

TomBradley72
10-09-2005, 04:13 PM
What a bum.

**** off Coach.

My sentiments exactly. The guy has been a Cubbie fan all the way...kissing the ass of the Tribune company....while the real "Grabowski's" in Chicago follow the White Sox.

SweetnesSox
10-09-2005, 04:25 PM

Well let's remember that he's just a Chicago Coach. I imagine he just roots for chicago in general. If I recall, he's thrown out first pitches at at least a couple sox games.

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Well let's remember that he's just a Chicago Coach. I imagine he just roots for chicago in general. If I recall, he's thrown out first pitches at at least a couple sox games.

On top of that, it was a Ditka #89 Sox jersey. I seriously doubt Ditka had the jersey made himself. It was probably a jersey the Sox made for him for when he threw out the first pitch.

slavko
10-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Mike Ditka is a Cub fan and a self-promoting phony. In fact, he's worse than a Cub fan, he's an anti-Sox fan. One of those times he sang the 7th inning stretch, I believe it was in 2003, Chip and Steve were setting him up with "Isn't it great to have pennant races on both sides of town" and Mike came back with something along the lines of "This is the only one that matters. Everything that counts is on the north side, this is a north side town." Chip and Steve fell silent for a moment because it wasn't what they expected from Mike.

In fact, he may have done the stretch more than twice. His greatest, of course, was the time got there late after a death ride through traffic from the golf course and a run up the stairs to the booth where Steve was about to start singing the song and the fans were booing in disappointment at not seeing Da Roach. A gasping and panting Ditka got through the song in about 8 seconds, barely avoiding a heart attack. Go back to The Urinal, Mike, I don't want you.

The Dude
10-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Anyone have a picture of him wearing the jersey??

MUsoxfan
10-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Mike Ditka is a Cub fan and a self-promoting phony. In fact, he's worse than a Cub fan, he's an anti-Sox fan.

Must explain the Sox jersey on National TV. The guy with the gun pointed at Ditka's head must have been invisible. Some of you guys need to relax

Brian26
10-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I just purchased some Ditka pork chops at Jewel tonight. I feel like a traitor. :redface:

PaulDrake
10-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Da Coach is a Flub Fan... He has said that more than once.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I just purchased some Ditka pork chops at Jewel tonight. I feel like a traitor. :redface:

"Don't feel like a traitor, Brian. I spit in yours."

:wink:

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Must explain the Sox jersey on National TV. The guy with the gun pointed at Ditka's head must have been invisible. Some of you guys need to relax

:rolling:

RetireWoodys28
10-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Da Coach is a Flub Fan...
Did da coach not play his entire Bears career in Wrigley Field? Think about it people, to folks like Mike Ditka, WE'RE ALL CARDINALS FANS!!!

Welcome aboard, to Da Coach (and all other superstars)!

harwar
10-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Not only did "iron Mike' sing at a couple of cub games,after one he sat and talked to the announcers and he said on the air "This had always been a cub town,this has always been a northside town."
I was horrified and shocked beyond belief when said that as your not going to find a bigger Bear fan.
After that i just said **** you coach.
As far as i'm concerned Buddy Ryan won that super bowl.

Steelrod
10-10-2005, 08:12 AM
If this keeps up, it's only a matter of time until John joins his sister as the original WHITE SOX fan.

lukesappling
10-10-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm more than happy to welcome everyone aboard the White Sox bandwagon, even Ditka. Lets enjoy the hype while it lasts.

asindc
10-10-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm more than happy to welcome everyone aboard the White Sox bandwagon, even Ditka. Lets enjoy the hype while it lasts.

Since I don't live in Chicago, I don't get caught up in the anti-Cubs thing. Whether or not Ditka is a Cubs fan is irrelevant to me, since having him wear the Sox jersey on that show only increases the Sox profile that much more.

Increased profile, increased interest, increased merchandise sales, increased revenue to sign players, etc. You see where I'm going with this? Trust me on this, no one, I mean NO ONE outside of Chicagoland knows whether or not Ditka is a Cubs fan, Sox fan, or fan of both, and they certainly don't care.

With that said, I like the show of support from Ditka, since it is certainly something he chose to do. No need to have him take a blood oath of loyalty, IMO. Having Ditka wear the jersey is a good thing.

Sxy Mofo
10-10-2005, 11:19 AM
People have been trashing berman. What did he say that was so bad? I must've missed all the bad parts as a result of cheering that covered up the announcer. That, and giving play by play to my brother through the last couple of innings because he couldn't watch the game.

"And here's jenks windup, and the pitch... hit back up the middle... off jenk's glove and iguchi's over, he's got it and YES! WOOOOOO! YEEEEAAAA! Yes! Yes! Yes! YEEEEAAAA!!"

skottyj242
10-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Ditka was on "Mike and Mike" this morning and they asked him what he thought and he said that Chicago has always been a North side town with the Cubs and the Bears but he also said that the Sox could do something really special in the next couple of weeks, so take that for whatever it's worth. Greenberg then called Ozzie the Venezualean Ditka.

I wonder how long before Saturday Night Live does a Da Sox skit.

kitekrazy
10-10-2005, 12:11 PM

Agreed. Let's not be arrogant. Every winning team has bandwagon fans. The Yankees probably have the most.

I think this was Ditkas way of rubbing it in to a network known for East Coast bias.

If the major media denies the existence of the Sox success by all means let the bandwagon fans be part of it.

C-Dawg
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
In fact, he may have done the stretch more than twice.

He's done it three times if I counted correctly. 1998 (the 8-second masterpiece), 2004 at a Cub-Sox game, and 2005 in a duet, with Will Farrell I believe, Cubs vs. Phillies.

Its possible there's more than just those three. I wonder if he's been to the Cell that many times since 1998?

Railsplitter
10-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Being from Western Pa., shouldn't Ditka be a Pirates fan?

MUsoxfan
10-10-2005, 01:12 PM
He's done it three times if I counted correctly. 1998 (the 8-second masterpiece), 2004 at a Cub-Sox game, and 2005 in a duet, with Will Farrell I believe, Cubs vs. Phillies.

Its possible there's more than just those three. I wonder if he's been to the Cell that many times since 1998?

So what? Who cares if he did the 7th inning stretch 100 times? He's not even "from" Chicago. He's from Pittsburgh. I'm sure he favors the Cubs, but does it really matter? He's wearing a Sox jersey on TV. He's promoting the WHITE SOX and the City of Chicago. Unbelievable. Everybody gets on the case of people like this when they don't support the Sox, but when they do support the Sox somehow it's not good enough for whatever reason. Are the only people that are supposed to come out and support the Sox the members of this board and Mayor Daley? I don't understand

Scotty347
10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
So what? Who cares if he did the 7th inning stretch 100 times? He's not even "from" Chicago. He's from Pittsburgh. I'm sure he favors the Cubs, but does it really matter? He's wearing a Sox jersey on TV. He's promoting the WHITE SOX and the City of Chicago. Unbelievable. Everybody gets on the case of people like this when they don't support the Sox, but when they do support the Sox somehow it's not good enough for whatever reason. Are the only people that are supposed to come out and support the Sox the members of this board and Mayor Daley? I don't understand

Amen. Maybe people are afraid the Sox will become too popular and they won't be able to complain anymore.

The Sox winning is what will make this team more popular nationally, and attract bandwagon fans. This isn't a bad thing.

slavko
10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Ditka was on "Mike and Mike" this morning and they asked him what he thought and he said that Chicago has always been a North side town with the Cubs and the Bears but he also said that the Sox could do something really special in the next couple of weeks, so take that for whatever it's worth. Greenberg then called Ozzie the Venezualean Ditka.

I wonder how long before Saturday Night Live does a Da Sox skit.

So he's still spreading this "North Side" poo. Haven't the Bears been playing in Soldier Field for about 40 years? Isn't Soldier Field at about 16th Street? Isn't that south of Madison St? Or is he referring to the Lake Forest Bears?

CJLove23
10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
The only thing worse than a fairweather fan is a public bandwagon jumper!!

JorgeFabregas
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure what a "north side town" would be. In fact, i think it would be half a town.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Being from Western Pa., shouldn't Ditka be a Pirates fan?

There are no Pirates fans. There are simply Steelers fans who watch baseball when killing time for football season to start. Same deal in Cleveland with Browns fans.

I'm not sure Mike Ditka could tell you how many innings constitute a regulation game. And if it were still tied, he would probably call it sudden death.

Daver
10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
There are no Pirates fans. There are simply Steelers fans who watch baseball when killing time for football season to start. Same deal in Cleveland with Browns fans.

I'm not sure Mike Ditka could tell you how many innings constitute a regulation game. And if it were still tied, he would probably call it sudden death.

And then he would send Gary Fencik out to closeline the pitcher.

:redneck