PDA

View Full Version : Steve Dahl Commentary in Tribune

3rdgensoxfan
10-09-2005, 10:42 AM
For those of you who are not boycotting the Tribune, I highly recommend reading this Steve Dahl article. It's about how baseball and the White Sox bring families together.

Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051008soxfanjournal,1,6299915.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Gox Sox!

TornLabrum
10-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Great article, and I see parallels with my own life. In my case Jeff has told me that one of the things he looks forward to is going to games together and how much doing that every summer meant to him as a kid. Even when our relationship wasn't going too smoothly when he was a teenager, all the tensions and hostility were thrown aside for a few hours sharing something we had in common.

I think Stever speaks for a lot of fathers and sons in that article. I know he spoke to me and for me.

Bucky F. Dent
10-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I listened to this guy every morning and then afternoon during our troubled youths (his and mine), and I've sinced lost touch with the Stever. It's amazing to see the transformation of the man who wrote and sang "Oh, Wally!"

"I bet I can guess what's in your black box mister!"

mike squires
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I traveled to Indiana for game 2 to watch with my Dad. had a few drinks, yelled at the ump and were both standing before Iguchi hit the homerun and enjoyed high fiving each other. the last time I recall watching a playoff game with him was in 83. The results were much different. IT definately brought us together.

ja1022
10-09-2005, 01:15 PM
It's interesting to see how Steve has matured with his audience over the years.

My son is going to be 14 later this month and I've had the pleasure of being involved with him playing baseball the last eight years. It has been fun to stay connected to both him and the game that way. We will also take in alot of games together; Babe Ruth, Legion, RailCats, Sox--doesn't matter. He was too young to remember or appreciate the 2000 season, but this year he is a real fan. Still he doesn't get it when I get worked up during these games--especially when the Sox were off their game a little bit for that stretch. He kept telling me I was going to need councilling. I'd tell him that it is the cumulative effect, the toll taken from 30 something years of being a Sox fan. I hope that several years down the road I'll be wiser and calmer and I can look at him while we're watching a game and say, "told ya".

hsnterprize
10-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Lord willing, I'll be able to leave a similar legacy with my 3 boys. My 3 and 2 year olds are VERY EXCITED about this current run, and my 10-month old is obviously too young to understand, but mom and dad are molding him into shape.

Josh and Nathan (the 3 and 2 year old boys) are often chanting, "Go Go Sox" like the days of '59. We've seen the team at Midway after they've come home from their series in Cleveland and the Boston sweep. They both had fun, and I pray there'll be more time to rejoice about OUR team.

The funny thing is my father-in-law is a native south sider, but he's a Cub fan. He really sticks out because most of his family are Sox fans. He tries to get Josh to sing, "root, root, root for the Cubbies", but Josh is saying "White Sox" instead. Couldn't make a dad any prouder.

When they get older, I want to take them to more games and try to develop a sense of "Sox Pride" within all of them. Hopefully, this will NOT be the only strong post-season run in our lifetime; but this will be the start of something very BIG that my kids will talk about with their children, and so on and so on.

Palehose13
10-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I think Stever speaks for a lot of fathers and sons in that article. I know he spoke to me and for me.

Ah-hem...fathers and daughters too! :wink:

It was a great article and there was nothing better than taking my dad to game 1 of the ALDS and see him dancing around like a little kid. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
My father lives in NJ,and to this day,he still calls me when the Sox
win an important game.The bad part: he then asks me "what happened
to your sCrUBS??".He still believes you can root for both teams,no
matter how many times I tell him he's nuts.

Great job by Steve this week.This journal (10/9) hit home
with me the most.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 06:30 PM
That was a touching and poignant piece. Makes me remember my first game with my dad. And by the way ......love ya Patrick my brother, heres to you not making that bad choice way back when, heh heh heh

LuvSox
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
It's just the four of us, my three brothers and I.

Our dad passed away many many years ago. He was a huge Sox fan.

We always talk, pretty close really. But nothing has brought us together like this season. We haven't watched a post season game together yet, but the cell phones get a work out on almost every pitch. I'm afraid to see my bill. And it's not really talking, more like screaming. "Did you see that?!?!"

All of our kids, Sox fans. We're passing it on just like our father did. He was wiser then any of us ever imagined.

This is a year to remember, a year to be closer. Enjoy it.

epgalsoxfan
10-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Ever since i was a little kid baseball has been part of my time with my dad. We either watch the games together or go to the park and watch them. I remember when the new park opened and it was always sold out and going to watch my favorite player, robin ventura. Baseball is my favorite sport, but i think part of what i love about it is getting to hang out with my dad. I guess its odd for a girl and her father to have such a relationship, but i cant help it its the thrill of the game.

Love you dad(soxruleEP):)

SOX ADDICT '73
10-10-2005, 12:55 AM
And by the way ......love ya Patrick my brother, heres to you not making that bad choice way back when, heh heh heh
To think, our very own patbooyah was nearly brainwashed into becoming a Scrubs fan! :o:

DrCrawdad
10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Great article Steve!

My father and I had little in life we could talk about without dispute (ok, I'm using hyperbole there). However, we were both on the same page when it came to the Sox. Dad was a passionate Sox fan too.

I wish Dad were around to see this years team. Strong pitching, good defense, a balanced offense and a united team, I know Dad would have loved this Sox team.

Here's to you Dad!
:gulp:

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/dad_bw.JPG

Hangar18
10-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I wish Dad were around to see this years team. Strong pitching, good defense, a balanced offense and a united team, I know Dad would have loved this Sox team.

Here's to you Dad!
:gulp:

Same here, wish my dad was still around to see this also. Heres to others
who arent with us anymore, to share in all of this, like George Burns (the wheel-chair bound fan) :gulp:

tlebar318
10-10-2005, 11:24 AM
My grandfather who was a life long Sox fan passed away on Opening Day this year at the age of 87....I wish he would have been here to see what has truly been a magical year to be a Sox fan...I hope he is watching this all unfold from a better place--nice piece by Steve Dahl....Go Sox!

miker
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
My dad didn't feel good enough to make it, but my friend brought her dad to game 1 of the ALDS and he was jumping up and down and high-fiving everyone like a little kid. She said it was the happiest she had seen him in years. :smile: