PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers at it again

veeter
10-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Along with the obligatory, 'it's going to be near impossible to re-sign PK because he'll have AL central suitors' article, he again writes (for the 3rd time) that the Sox should trade Garland. He says that with BMac's emergence it would appear El Duke is the odd man out of the rotation for 2006. But a "gutsy" organization would keep Orlando and trade Garland, who has a lot of value and will be a FA after 2006. Yea, Garland has a lot of value. Enough to maybe receive some good young pitching. Wait a minute, Garland is a good young pitcher. Note to JR: increase the payroll and keep everyone worth keeping. Then these a-holes will have nothing to write about.

Fredsox
10-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah, Rogers and all the other experts are pretty much putzes. How many of them said "Duque vs MacCarthy? Duh? MacCarthy you fools!" just last week. Seriously, they don't know any more about baseball than the average fan.

BeviBall!
10-09-2005, 10:16 AM
According to "expert" Kevin Kennedy, we were lucky to win game 3 because Boston would have sent it back to Chicago for game 5.

I'm done reading/listening to these wonks.

Hokiesox
10-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Has it crossed anyone else's mind that if we win the WS, we turn into the 1998 Marlins? Sell off everyone, and JR pockets the money?

I'm a little worried about it myself.

DumpJerry
10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Has it crossed anyone else's mind that if we win the WS, we turn into the 1998 Marlins? Sell off everyone, and JR pockets the money?

I'm not.

When things got hot this summer for the team, JR told KW that the sky was the limit for payroll, that shows a commitment to spend the dough to bring home a winner. Secondly, he did not follow the Marlin's model after the Bulls won their first title. He kept spending money to build up the team and kept the core together (Jordan). True, he let the team disperse after Jordan left, but those were different circumstances than the Marlin's sell-off.

Erik The Red
10-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm not.

When things got hot this summer for the team, JR told KW that the sky was the limit for payroll, that shows a commitment to spend the dough to bring home a winner. Secondly, he did not follow the Marlin's model after the Bulls won their first title. He kept spending money build up the team and kept the core together (Jordan). True, he let the team disperse after Jordan left, but those were different circumstances than the Marlin's sell-off.
Exactly. The Bulls were consistently the highest-paid team during the championship years in the 90s. JR isn't afraid to spend money if he thinks he has a genuine winner. He won't outspend Steinbrenner, but look for the payroll to increase if we win the WS.

beckett21
10-09-2005, 11:38 AM

No, I'm not worried about it at all.

Let's just put it this way: if the Sox win the WS this season, they can do anything they want as far as I am concerned. I don't expect them to win 8 in a row. I'm not greedy.

I'll settle for one at this point. :smile:

Flight #24
10-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Memo to Phil Rogers: Sox revenues have increased, and look to continue doing so. They also have savings from Frank's buyout, Shingo's contract expiring, and possibly Carl Everett. That gives plenty to resign Konerko, keep AJ & Garland, and pay for raises to the rest of the guys under contract. And if it comes down to Konerko/Garland or Everett - that's a no-brainer.

Daver
10-09-2005, 11:44 AM

Jerry Reinsdorf is guilty of many things, being stupid is not one of them. If this Sox team makes it to the World Series, win or lose the whole team will be back for the most part, to make another run next year. JR is not going to set himself up for the media frenzy that would come if he broke this team up.

shbart
10-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Agree with u Daver about Reinsdorf, but in regards to the original post about the Rogers article, I think Rogers has a valid point. Be realisitic, this team is not a dynasty and a smart GM improves his squad by trading a player of value who is succeptible to decline ie; Loiza for Contreras. I'd take a real number 3 hitter for Garland.

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 11:57 AM

There's a lot more money to be made in keeping this team together, and it's not even close. The 2001 Diamondbacks and 1997 Marlins were not on solid financial ground and could not realistically expect to keep up those payrolls. On the contrary, the 75 million that the White Sox spent this year was in line with previous payroll increases. I would expect to see a 90 million dollar payroll or so in 2006. Maybe a little higher. The Sox are probably going to keep the team together for the most part, regardless of what happens, so I might expect a lot of that money to go to contract extensions to Garland and Pauly, with maybe one upper-middle tier bat to replace Carl Everett.

Iguana775
10-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm not.

When things got hot this summer for the team, JR told KW that the sky was the limit for payroll, that shows a commitment to spend the dough to bring home a winner. Secondly, he did not follow the Marlin's model after the Bulls won their first title. He kept spending money build up the team and kept the core together (Jordan). True, he let the team disperse after Jordan left, but those were different circumstances than the Marlin's sell-off.

I agree. He proved that if you win, he spends the big bucks. And baseball is supposedly his first love. I firmly believe if the Sox do win, he will want to keep winning.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Along with the obligatory, 'it's going to be near impossible to re-sign PK because he'll have AL central suitors' article, he again writes (for the 3rd time) that the Sox should trade Garland. He says that with BMac's emergence it would appear El Duke is the odd man out of the rotation for 2006. But a "gutsy" organization would keep Orlando and trade Garland, who has a lot of value and will be a FA after 2006. Yea, Garland has a lot of value. Enough to maybe receive some good young pitching. Wait a minute, Garland is a good young pitcher. Note to JR: increase the payroll and keep everyone worth keeping. Then these a-holes will have nothing to write about.

a-holes?

*voodoo shakes head*

See you in a week, veeter...

batmanZoSo
10-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Rogers and all the other experts are pretty much putzes. How many of them said "Duque vs MacCarthy? Duh? MacCarthy you fools!" just last week. Seriously, they don't know any more about baseball than the average fan.

They don't and people tend to forget that. These writers just have a degree in journalism and happen to enjoy sports. I'm not saying we fans always know more or that none of them know their stuff--some writers are very good--but people often make too big of a deal about what a writer says. I'll definitely get ticked off when a writer pulls a punch or comes across like he has an agenda to tear down the Sox, but for the most part I don't take sports columns that seriously or without a few grains of salt.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Agree with u Daver about Reinsdorf, but in regards to the original post about the Rogers article, I think Rogers has a valid point. Be realisitic, this team is not a dynasty and a smart GM improves his squad by trading a player of value who is succeptible to decline ie; Loiza for Contreras. I'd take a real number 3 hitter for Garland.

Why do that now? You can get Delgado or Manny for less than Garland, IMO.

If the team falls apart at the trade deadline next off-season, Garland will bring a windfall in return. If the team is in contention (and they should be if they do nothing more than bring everyone back and upgrade the DH slot) then the Sox will again have one of the best (if not the best) pitching staff in baseball.

Daver
10-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Starting pitching is the most valuable commodity in MLB, Boston just proved that to the entire world, you do not give it up for a bat. Bats can be found via free agency, or by trading prospects, not by trading a proven starter.

Hitmen77
10-09-2005, 12:10 PM

The situation in Florida was very different. The Marlins were deep in debt because of overspending to "buy" a good team. The Sox are not in debt.

shbart
10-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Why do that now? You can get Delgado or Manny for less than Garland, IMO.

If the team falls apart at the trade deadline next off-season, Garland will bring a windfall in return. If the team is in contention (and they should be if they do nothing more than bring everyone back and upgrade the DH slot) then the Sox will again have one of the best (if not the best) pitching staff in baseball.

If your payroll goes up during the off season (which it will), then getting a free-agent like Delgado or Manny would seem difficult. No windfall for Garland if he's 10-10 at the deadline.
Pitching is the most important commodity, but if McCarthy pitches as well as Garland next season you lose nothing and you strengthen your team.
I think if we look at the Braves who are the template for a succesful roster, you will see that they were pro active in moving "good players" during the off seasons. The teams that try and duplicate their winning roster, rarely repeat....all I'm saying.

kevingrt
10-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Exactly. The Bulls were consistently the highest-paid team during the championship years in the 90s. JR isn't afraid to spend money if he thinks he has a genuine winner. He won't outspend Steinbrenner, but look for the payroll to increase if we win the WS.

I agree with you 100% on this one. When JR thinks he can win or at least come very close to winning it all, he will put every ounce of energy and money into the team. It's when the team is on down times that he turns off, and that's why for the most part people hate him.

CHEESESOXER
10-09-2005, 12:52 PM
a-holes?

*voodoo shakes head*

See you in a week, veeter...

You're benching veeter for a week for that.
Yet, you have posted the same word.
Isn't this the same as a cop busting someone for doing what a a cop does?

I am only asking.

fquaye149
10-09-2005, 01:38 PM

I am only asking.

Phil Rogers posts here from time to time. As has been pointed out in the roadhouse recently, celebrity posters at this board are protected against verbal abuses like this. I'm pretty sure that's what the vacation is for

johnny_mostil
10-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Er, I think he got busted for the insulting personal abuse content, not for simple potty mouthery.

bigfoot
10-09-2005, 02:29 PM
You guys are being kind of tough on PR. Poor Phil, he's only a few years removed from writing about all the sporting events in Albuquerque,N.M.....the rodeo, the Balloon Fiesta, the.......AAA Dukes/Isotopes....., and now you expect him to opine in his column about the various attributes of MLB players?

Of course he's closer to the situation than 99.9% of all who post, but if he doesn't stir up the water-cooler/internet chatter about the Sox, who would bother to read the ink dropping?

Garland gone? Not if the Sox are smart. Seems JohnnyG's head has finaaly caught up with his arm. Could become another Maddux, Atlanta style. Many years, easy motion, nasty sinker.

When JerryR gets that taste of Championship Champagne, like he did with the Bulls, he won't want to spit it out, for that MeisterBrauLite. He likes the way the Trophies look on the mantle.

fusillirob1983
10-09-2005, 02:40 PM
My problem with the article is that he says Konerko could go to an AL Central team, but it seems like he thinks all but the Sox have a chance of re-signing him. That makes no sense.

He's been playing for the Sox for several years, he probably has a decent understanding of the rivalries. Does he actually want to leave the best team in the division to play for Minnesota or Detroit?

These teams aren't going to have similar resources as the Sox to sign him since they're not making any money off playoff revenues.

The next article will probably be talking about which AL West team will want to sign Konerko. He's covered the other two AL Divisions already.

flo-B-flo
10-09-2005, 02:49 PM
They don't and people tend to forget that. These writers just have a degree in journalism and happen to enjoy sports. I'm not saying we fans always know more or that none of them know their stuff--some writers are very good--but people often make too big of a deal about what a writer says. I'll definitely get ticked off when a writer pulls a punch or comes across like he has an agenda to tear down the Sox, but for the most part I don't take sports columns that seriously or without a few grains of salt. These words have truth. Why do some folk take these guys so personal? It's their opinion. Just like you have yours. Read em' and go on. I'm sure these guys are like anyone else to their friends. Nice guys but, their job is to be a provoke and entertain the readers. Getting you pissed is a good thing to them.

wdelaney72
10-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf is guilty of many things, being stupid is not one of them. If this Sox team makes it to the World Series, win or lose the whole team will be back for the most part, to make another run next year. JR is not going to set himself up for the media frenzy that would come if he broke this team up.

I agree with you 100%, but look how many goofs out there (some at this site) still think JR and Crumbs "broke up the Bulls Dynasty".

wdelaney72
10-09-2005, 03:42 PM
My problem with the article is that he says Konerko could go to an AL Central team, but it seems like he thinks all but the Sox have a chance of re-signing him. That makes no sense.

He's been playing for the Sox for several years, he probably has a decent understanding of the rivalries. Does he actually want to leave the best team in the division to play for Minnesota or Detroit?

These teams aren't going to have similar resources as the Sox to sign him since they're not making any money off playoff revenues.

The next article will probably be talking about which AL West team will want to sign Konerko. He's covered the other two AL Divisions already.

No AL Central team could afford Paulie. If the Sox win the World Series, he'll be back, otherwise he'll be wearing a Red Sox or Angels uniform next year.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2005, 04:11 PM
O M G

You'd think no one here has read Phil Rogers before. This is vintage stirring up ****. Those of you with puppies may get some value out of it, but for the rest of us, it's a waste of good paper and ink.

TomBradley72
10-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Isn't this a topic Rogers should right about after the season is over? Of all the possible storylines about the 25 guys on the roster, the overall organization, the rebirth of the fan base, the upcoming ALCS...this is the best topic he could come up with?

Right up there with: Should We Sign Palmeiro? Did You Hear What Ozzie Said? "Somber Streak" and "Rolling Towards Danger".

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 05:23 PM

Oh Yeah? I wouldnt be so sure about that. This team has had approximately 3 world-series-windows-of-opportunities to jump thru and we didnt. Ive long said, seeing how we've pared off the "highest" paid players, Konerko was going to be the next to go, and that does worry me. Its been pointed out that there are no other Comparable 1stBaseman out there, and Yankees and RedSox are going to fall down running to get to Konerko. We cant afford to lose Paulie, especially now. Gload at 1st? That reminds me of putting Snopek at 3B when Ventura was sent packing. If the SOX wanted Konerko, they wouldve been Smart and locked him down before/during the season, when he was cheaper. Seeing how hes carried us down the stretch, the SOX gambled as usual, and may now have to pay him Extra, knowing the Bosox and Yanks are going to fight for him. Dumb Move ............shouldve just locked him down cheap like they did with Garcia

I said it before the season, were watching the last year of Konerko. For better or worse. That said, id LOVE him to be ALCS MVP, you'd hear all the contract/no contract stories pumped up

SweetnesSox
10-09-2005, 05:28 PM

JR said he'd trade all six of his Bulls championships for one white sox one. I'd think he'd want to build a franchise. plus with our raised attendance figures next year we'll have more money to spend on players.
NOT WORRIED.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 05:30 PM

I am only asking.

I have not typed that word in that manner. If he had typed it out fully and let the language filters do the work, it would have been okay. I don't have a problem with seven stars in a row. But, it is clearly stated and has repeatedly been enforced - DON'T try to circumvent the language filters, period.

In the future, please send me a private message. I prefer NOT to talk about board management decisions in public.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Er, I think he got busted for the insulting personal abuse content, not for simple potty mouthery.

No, it was for language.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 06:08 PM
O M G

You'd think no one here has read Phil Rogers before. This is vintage stirring up ****. Those of you with puppies may get some value out of it, but for the rest of us, it's a waste of good paper and ink.

Agreed.The Cub-Une has never been known for covering both teams 50/50.They're angry the sCrUBS aren't playing now.I don't buy their
"SOX-tober" angles for a minute.Let 'em suffer in silence.God knows
how many Sox fans did the same 2 years ago at this time.At least
until Steve Bartman intervened.:D: :D: :D:

fusillirob1983
10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Agreed.The Cub-Une has never been known for covering both teams 50/50.They're angry the sCrUBS aren't playing now.I don't buy their
"SOX-tober" angles for a minute.Let 'em suffer in silence.God knows
how many Sox fans did the same 2 years ago at this time.At least
until Steve Bartman intervened.:D: :D: :D:

Of course they're upset. I would be surprised that there's no "Konerko wants to play for the Cubs articles", except first base is the only position at which the Cubs can't upgrade.

longshot7
10-09-2005, 07:49 PM
If they win the Series this year, they can trade every player as far as I'm concerned. They will have a blank check from me for as long as they want.

Don't worry about next year. Worry about next week. Actually, don't worry. Just enjoy.

slavko
10-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Of course they're upset. I would be surprised that there's no "Konerko wants to play for the Cubs articles", except first base is the only position at which the Cubs can't upgrade.

It's more fun when they tamper with their own players (Todd Walker would be a nice fit for the White Sox) than when they try to tamper with ours.