PDA

View Full Version : Cubbie fans on Jenks...

DrCrawdad
10-09-2005, 09:32 AM
If it comes down to Jenks on the mound, one of the reasons the Angels let him go is that he'll let his emotions and anger overtake his common sense.

Jenks only recently learned how to use that brain. When he was in the minors he was constantly getting into trouble. Think Farnsworth and worse, and the lack of maturity was one of the reasons the Angels let him go. (In addition to the aforementioned control issues.) The other big issue was his injury history. I don't know how well his arm will hold up - if he can stay healthy he could be an impact player for years. If he reverts to previous form healthwise, he'll end up a fond memory for White Sox fans.

One Thing About The Angels
They don't have a whole lot of patience when it comes to malcontents and misfits...With Jenks, once his results in the minors started to reflect his talent, the Angels expected him to put down the beer, keep his temper in check, and play ball. It didn't happen. He got hurt, listened to no one, and had his ego maimed when the Angels exposed him to waivers. It took something like that to wake him up....

Of course Cubbie fans were the loudest of the critics on the Sox signing of AJ too.

mccoydp
10-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Jenks should look to Prior and Woods as models on how to remain injury free.

beckett21
10-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Tip #1 on how to lead a happy life:

Completely ignore everything that Cub fans say. Forget they even exist. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Tip #1 on how to lead a happy life:

Completely ignore everything that Cub fans say. Forget they even exist. :cool:

Beckett,

It's hard to freeze out your family.I let it go in one ear and
out the other.Just call it the green eyed monster,jealousy.
Personally,I hope Dempster turns into Lachoke Hawkins
next year,but that's me.:angry: :angry:

The Critic
10-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Whenever I've heard Bobby talk to reporters, he sounds like his head's on straight. He talks about keeping things simple, worrying only about what's in front of him now, things like that.
Maybe the waiver release did shake him up a bit and show him how quickly things can end. I think Hermanson mentoring him has been really beneficial for Jenks AND for the Sox.
I'm really happy with Bobby so far, and I just hope he continues what he's done lately.

RKMeibalane
10-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Remember, Cubs fans are the same group of people who worshipped a steroid-using, wife-beating assclown for thirteen seasons. When it comes to players with questionable pasts, they have absolutely no room to talk.

beckett21
10-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Beckett,

It's hard to freeze out your family.I let it go in one ear and
out the other.Just call it the green eyed monster,jealousy.
Personally,I hope Dempster turns into Lachoke Hawkins
next year,but that's me.:angry: :angry:

I understand that problem.

My father and his side of the family are all Cub fans (with the exception of the Uncle who's a Twins fan!). My grandmother grew up in Bridgeport, and her brothers were all Sox fans--but I hardly ever saw them, so I rarely if ever had any support. My grandmother was a Cubs fan, mostly because of my grandfather and her kids. I was constantly being razzed growing up, from '77 to today. It made my resolve and love for the Sox grow that much stronger. :D:

At least with family (in my case anyway) it has always been a good-natured rivalry.

As for the rest of them...who cares?!? I pity them actually. Look what they have to cheer for. You'd be jealous too. :cool:

DumpJerry
10-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Jenks has acknowledged making poor choices in the past. That shows he has matured and those days are behind him. He's now married with kid(s) and knows this is his best chance ever in his life.

Cub fans......well, there really isn't much to say about them. They are bored since there are no baseball games for them to go to this week. Or next week. Or the week after that, now that I think about it..................:D:

Chisox003
10-09-2005, 02:45 PM
If it comes down to Jenks on the mound, one of the reasons the Angels let him go is that he'll let his emotions and anger overtake his common sense.
This coming from a team that depends on Carlos Zambrano trotting out there every 5th day?

I refuse to read further past that first sentence...

Pure stupidity :rolleyes:

daveeym
10-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Jenks has acknowledged making poor choices in the past. That shows he has matured and those days are behind him. He's now married with kid(s) and knows this is his best chance ever in his life.

Cub fans......well, there really isn't much to say about them. They are bored since there are no baseball games for them to go to this week. Or next week. Or the week after that, now that I think about it..................:D: Exactly, all those quotes are basically accurate, people get older and change. Wife and kids will do that to ya.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-09-2005, 03:09 PM
...the lack of maturity was one of the reasons the Angels let him go.
Maturity is something that comes, for most people anyway, with time and experience, both of which Bobby has had a lot of since his earlier troubles.

Stupidity, on the other hand...well, I shouldn't have to school Cub fans about that! Anyone who would compare Jenks to Kyle Farnsworth (who, IIRC, has pulled all of his idiotic crap at the major league level), and who overlooks Carlos Zambrano's frequent mental meltdowns knows plenty about stupidity...

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah pitchers that get their emotions in the way suck. Us cub fans don't have anyone like that!

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qIZg5F42yWEJ:graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/apr05/carlos409.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/apr05/carlos409.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/apr05/316983.asp&h=566&w=600&sz=60&tbnid=qIZg5F42yWEJ:&tbnh=125&tbnw=133&hl=en&start=19&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dzambrano%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr% 3D)

Soxfanspcu11
10-09-2005, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE= I think Hermanson mentoring him has been really beneficial for Jenks AND for the Sox.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, but let's not forget about Coop. He takes this bullpen:

Jenks
Cotts
Marte
Polite
Viz
Hermanson

and turns them into the best pen in the league. Someone else said it best, "other teams castaways and rookies" have been lights out. I have absolute faith in Coop.

Jerome
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Sorry Scrubbies, we can't afford to overpay just to get saves, we'll take them no matter who they come from.

Sour grapes. The kid has had a great year, kudos to KW for discovering him. It's not like our bullpen doesn't have depth even if he does falter. I feel fine with Polite, Cotts, even Hermanson to get a save.

Randar68
10-10-2005, 10:28 AM

Jenks
Cotts
Marte
Polite
Viz
Hermanson

and turns them into the best pen in the league. Someone else said it best, "other teams castaways and rookies" have been lights out. I have absolute faith in Coop.

Guys, guys, guys...

Jenks' turnaround has almost nothing to do with Coop. This kid recently got married (tends to settle people down, no?), he also owes a lot of his success this year to the Sox player development people for putting him in the bullpen.

Also, let's not forget Rich Dotson and Razor Shines in AA, who've had far more influence on him this year than anyone else (save maybe his wife)...

SoxFan76
10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Guys, guys, guys...

Jenks' turnaround has almost nothing to do with Coop. This kid recently got married (tends to settle people down, no?), he also owes a lot of his success this year to the Sox player development people for putting him in the bullpen.

Also, let's not forget Rich Dotson and Razor Shines in AA, who've had far more influence on him this year than anyone else (save maybe his wife)...

Fair enough...but what about Cotts? Pollite? Hermanson? Talk about a complete 180 from last year. All three of those men had an ERA above 4, and Cotts was above 5.00.

Tekijawa
10-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Fair enough...but what about Cotts? Pollite? Hermanson? Talk about a complete 180 from last year. All three of those men had an ERA above 4, and Cotts was above 5.00.

Maybe Jenk's Wife is a real "team builder"!:redneck

TornLabrum
10-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Maybe Jenk's Wife is a real "team builder"!:redneck

For that job, no one can compare to Cindy Sandberg.

"With a corncob dress
And a button nose
And a fondness for Latin-os!"

The Critic
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM

Jenks
Cotts
Marte
Polite
Viz
Hermanson

No no, I hope it didn't come across like I was minimizing Coop's work with this staff or Jenks in particular. I think Coop and Ozzie have done a great job of getting everyone slotted into roles that best utilize them.

All I was saying is that Hermanson taking Bobby under his wing, rather than complaining or bucking the decision to elevate Jenks to the closer role, has made the transition easier and more comfortable. It's a testament to the team-first attitude and professionalism Dustin has shown in this situation. He is well aware that if his back was sound, he'd be the man in the 9th.