PDA

View Full Version : Boring NLDS games

elrod
10-09-2005, 01:49 AM
I usually enjoy National League baseball a lot but I've noticed that not a single NLDS game so far has had any real late-inning drama. The closest being San Diego's attempt to come back from an 8-0 deficit in Game One, when they had the go-ahead run at the plate with two outs in the 9th. I don't think it's the whole National League style of play as much as the lack of competition between the teams. But still, it's been a real disappointment so far. All of the games have been blowouts. The NYY-LAA series hasn't been amazing either, but at least the games have been close to the very end.

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Games 2 and 3 of the Sox series have been the best of the postseason. The Houston/Atlanta pitching matchups looked great on paper, but resulted with one team winning by a landslide. I guess some of the NYY/LAA have been close, but I haven't paid AS much attention to that series, to be honest. I've been to emotionally spent from the Sox games that have proceeded them, and I've had reason to go somewhere else and celebrate!

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Padres just got swept 3-0 by the Cardinals. Final score 7-4 Cards (Padres brought the tying run to the plate to no avail). St. Louis advances (was there ever a doubt?).

SOXintheBURGH
10-09-2005, 02:21 AM
It's been my view for some time, and; I think I'm not alone here (*cough* *cough* *long drag* *wheeeeeze* HANGAR18*)- the National League is just flat out inferior.

Sox of White
10-09-2005, 02:32 AM
Saint Louis' celebration after they swept was very weak. It looked like they just won a regular game but for some reason someone gave them champagne so they decided to squirt it. It was very unenthusiastic. Maybe it was just because they figured they won before it started but you would still think they would be more excited than what they looked like.

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Saint Louis' celebration after they swept was very weak. It looked like they just won a regular game but for some reason someone gave them champagne so they decided to squirt it. It was very unenthusiastic. Maybe it was just because they figured they won before it started but you would still think they would be more excited than what they looked like.

Listened to the game on ESPN radio here at work... you could definitely tell just by listening that they downplayed any post-game celebrating.

SOXintheBURGH
10-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Listened to the game on ESPN radio here at work... you could definitely tell just by listening that they downplayed any post-game celebrating.

Maybe when you win the NL Pennant the year prior and post the best record all year sweeping a barely .500 team would seem rather lame.

JimEdmonds15
10-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Maybe when you win the NL Pennant the year prior and post the best record all year sweeping a barely .500 team would seem rather lame.

That's correct.. They just wanna know who's next in their path..

SOX ADDICT '73
10-09-2005, 03:35 AM
By comparison to yesterday's jubilant White Sox celebration, the reaction by St. Louis seemed really lame:

The players on the field looked as excited as a funeral procession.
The handful of Cardinals fans who made the trip out to San Diego looked incredibly bored as well.
Even the champagne-spraying looked really weak - I saw about four guys in opposite corners of the clubhouse just pouring bubbly on the carpet and smiling.
Give me Buehrle hosing down Ozzie right in the middle of an interview...give me El Duque partying it up with the fans in the stands, stogie in one hand, bottle in the other...give me a grinning Cliff Politte spraying champagne over a scrum of players and coaches on the floor of the clubhouse.

Maybe last season's success has spoiled St. Louis. Atlanta fans, after 15 straight division championships, can hardly be bothered to show up for an NLDS game anymore. I don't know about you guys, but I was just as excited about the 1998 Bulls as I was the 1991 team. I can't imagine ever feeling boredom over the success of the teams I root for, or those teams showing complacency after a post-season victory (whether it's expected by the entire world or not). Then again, living in Chicago has conditioned me to take nothing for granted.

elrod
10-09-2005, 03:50 AM
I don't blame the Cards for taking the celebration lightly. There was no tension in that series whatsoever. If anything, it was relief that the Padres didn't pull a massive upset. But that was obvious after Game One.

The real disappointment is the Astros-Braves series. Just no real excitement there at all. If Atlanta wins tomorrow, and they should with Hudson against Backe, then I suspect Game Five will have more drama.

Banix12
10-09-2005, 04:02 AM
I don't think it's so suprising that it's been so boring.

The Cardinals look bored.
The Padres don't belong on the same field with any of the other teams,
I think everybody is just tired of watching the Braves this time of year (even Braves fans), especially when they once again look flat in the NLDS and look like they won't advance
The Astros are probably the most exciting team in the NL Chase and even they aren't too exciting to watch. Probably because they are facing the braves.

I also think everybody just thinks they are watching a rerun of last year's playoffs. Remove the Padres, replace with Dodgers (who also got swept) and it's last year.

I also think that with the white sox in the playoffs, the NLDS is always going to look boring by comparison. So much more riding on it for us in the AL.

ATXBMX
10-09-2005, 06:26 AM
I also think everybody just thinks they are watching a rerun of last year's playoffs. Remove the Padres, replace with Dodgers (who also got swept) and it's last year.

The Dodgers didn't get swept, they won a game behind Jose Lima's (:o:) complete game shut-out.

Mohoney
10-09-2005, 07:16 AM
San Diego's starters pitched a total of 10 innings in these 3 games. There is absolutely no way to rise above that, especially considering how insanely clutch Reggie Sanders was in this series.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 09:33 AM
It's been my view for some time, and; I think I'm not alone here (*cough* *cough* *long drag* *wheeeeeze* HANGAR18*)- the National League is just flat out inferior.

I like what Dick Allen had to say on this subject. The National League is the ***** league of baseball.

Of course he was talking about the 70's era and not the National League, but can there be any doubt what his opinion is today?

:cool:

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 11:53 AM
The games have been far less interesting and, quite frankly, the level of competition is a lot lower in the NLDS IMO. San Diego almost coming back sorta qualifies as an interesting moment, but the only other real moment was when Brian McCann hit the 3 run homer off of Roger Clemens. That was pretty big, but games 1 and two of the Yanks-Angels series were by far more interesting. And even those two games pale in comparison to Games 2 and 3 of the Red Sox-White Sox series. Our past two games have been the best of the postseason by a longshot.

batmanZoSo
10-09-2005, 12:28 PM
By comparison to yesterday's jubilant White Sox celebration, the reaction by St. Louis seemed really lame:

The players on the field looked as excited as a funeral procession.
The handful of Cardinals fans who made the trip out to San Diego looked incredibly bored as well.
Even the champagne-spraying looked really weak - I saw about four guys in opposite corners of the clubhouse just pouring bubbly on the carpet and smiling.
Give me Buehrle hosing down Ozzie right in the middle of an interview...give me El Duque partying it up with the fans in the stands, stogie in one hand, bottle in the other...give me a grinning Cliff Politte spraying champagne over a scrum of players and coaches on the floor of the clubhouse.

Maybe last season's success has spoiled St. Louis. Atlanta fans, after 15 straight division championships, can hardly be bothered to show up for an NLDS game anymore. I don't know about you guys, but I was just as excited about the 1998 Bulls as I was the 1991 team. I can't imagine ever feeling boredom over the success of the teams I root for, or those teams showing complacency after a post-season victory (whether it's expected by the entire world or not). Then again, living in Chicago has conditioned me to take nothing for granted.

It's just that being in, living in or looking at San Diego is like taking Xanax.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 01:03 PM
The Cards are looking forward to a rematch of the 2004 NLCS.
And now that Sox killer Chris Carpenter is healthy,the matchups
are pretty even (at least on the pitching side).
But on offense,there are 2 questions:

1.How will the Cards get Morgan Ensberg out??
2.How will the 'Stros deal with a Cards lineup that can play
small ball AND go yard?? You don't know what to expect from
them game to game.Keep your eyes on Sox killer David Eckstein.
He's just like Podsednik.It (the offense) revolves around his ability
to get on base.And if you leave a pitch over the plate,he'll go yard.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
It's just that being in, living in or looking at San Diego is like taking Xanax.

In my case,Sominex.It puts me right to sleep.:D: :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
10-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Keep your eyes on Sox killer David Eckstein.
He's just like Podsednik.It (the offense) revolves around his ability
to get on base.And if you leave a pitch over the plate,he'll go yard.
No offense to Juan, but I really wanted the Sox to go out and get Eckstein this past offseason, if for no other reason than I was tired of playing AGAINST him. Even my wife, who doesn't follow baseball much, knows him as "Scrappy Little David Eckstein."

I was initially glad, as a consolation, just to get him out of the AL. Now it looks as if he and the Cards might be standing between us and a World Series Championship. Their lineup makes the vaunted Red Sox look like the KC Royals.

dcb33
10-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, this Houston/Atlanta game just got a lot more interesting now that Farnsworth gave up a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 8th.

EDIT: Two grand slams were hit in today's HOU/ATL game, the first time that has ever happened in a playoff game.

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 04:10 PM
It got even more interesting because a home run ties it.
"10-run" field is at it again.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2005, 04:16 PM
It got even more interesting because a home run ties it.
"10-run" field is at it again.That and Farnsworth sucks. :redneck

gf2020
10-09-2005, 04:20 PM
It makes it way too easy for MLB to move our game to Wednesday if the Astros win. Go Braves!

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 04:21 PM
That and Farnsworth sucks. :redneckAlso true.

JUribe1989
10-09-2005, 04:24 PM
This Astros/Braves game is one of the best NLDS games I have ever watched. 2 out HR by BRAD AUSMUS? Luke Scott misses a walkoff HR by about 6 inches.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Farnsworth = Marte! Ugh!! Maybe the Braves can still pull it off. I doubt it. But anyway... GO BRAVES!!!

JUribe1989
10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
2 out double by Berkman, wow this game is exciting.

cheeses_h_rice
10-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Well, this Houston/Atlanta game just got a lot more interesting now that Farnsworth gave up a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 8th.

EDIT: Two grand slams were hit in today's HOU/ATL game, the first time that has ever happened in baseball history.

You can take the pitcher out of the Cubs, but you can't take the Cubs out of the pitcher.

Farnsworth... :angry:

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Farnsworth = Marte! Ugh!!:gascan

JUribe1989
10-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Bagwell in to pinch hit. This game just gets better and better. I wasn't even rooting that hard for the Astros before this game.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2005, 04:29 PM
This Astros/Braves game is one of the best NLDS games I have ever watched.The Cards/Padres series had me on the edge of my seat.

Banix12
10-09-2005, 04:40 PM
The Dodgers didn't get swept, they won a game behind Jose Lima's (:o:) complete game shut-out.

Thanks for the correction, I just remember them barely being in it last season though I guess they had one good game.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Geez, the Braves are so lame!! Andruw Jones gets K'd. It looks like a perfect scoring opportunity is going to get blown.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2005, 05:14 PM
This Astros/Braves game is one of the best NLDS games I have ever watched.You really need to get out more. :redneck

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Ha, someone called for an exciting game? :smile:

At this rate Clemens will be piching in relief soon.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Eh, since this game was tied, it seems more like a funeral than anything else. The offense on both sides has pretty much laid down.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Ha, someone called for an exciting game? :smile:

At this rate Clemens will be piching in relief soon.One thing for sure, the Cards and their fans are enjoying this. Having their competition play extra innings bodes very well for them.

An extra innings Angels/Yanks game today would be welcome! :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
(Disclaimer: I know the White Sox have a long way to go before we can start talking World Series, but the only way I can prompt myself into caring about the NLDS or NLCS is by scouting potential Sox opponents.)

As Sox fans, who should we be rooting for? I doubt any of us want to face the Astros pitching staff in a World Series, but there's no way the youthful Braves could challenge the Cardinals in the same way Houston would.

IMO, if the Braves win this series, we'd see a well-rested St. Louis team in the WS; if Houston wins, we'd see a team (Astros or Cardinals, probably the latter) coming off a hard-fought 6 or 7-game series.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I really want the Braves to win here. That would have to eliminate the chance of pushing the ALCS back.

slavko
10-09-2005, 05:43 PM
The Cards division clinching celebration was subdued as well. Reason 1:They've been there recently. Reason 2: LaRussa has their eyes on the prize, as he and they should.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I think you just saw the end of the Braves' season. Pretty pathetic.

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Big pitching by Wheeler there. The Astros need to score here. Wheeler has thrown 35 pitches. I'm not sure how much he has left. If the Astros don't end this game in the 14th Clemens might have to start getting ready.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I personally like the Houston Astros better than the Braves but it will be easier getting World Series tickets in Atlanta as opposed to Houston. They still have to beat St. Louis which I think they will not be able to do (though Reyes' injury helps their opponent (and us)).

Shades of this game I remember well as a Mets fan:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10150HOU1986.htm

League Championship Series Game Played on Wednesday, October 15, 1986 (N) at Astrodome

~NY N (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TNYN21986.htm) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 - 7 11 0
HOU N (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/THOU21986.htm) 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 - 6 11 1

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Big pitching by Wheeler there. The Astros need to score here. Wheeler has thrown 35 pitches. I'm not sure how much he has left. If the Astros don't end this game in the 14th Clemens might have to start getting ready.

Geeze, the Astros go down in an even more pathetic display of "hitting." In the last hour or so, there has been about 5 minutes of excitement. Give me the AL any day.

cburns
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
It doesn't say much about the NL if the Astros are the league's second best team, or the Braves for that matter.

soxfanreggie
10-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Clemens just helped his own cause by bunting a man over. Man on 2nd with 1 out for Houston. Gosh I'd like to see a 20 inning Angels-Yanks game. Ya know, one where every reliver is used, all players are used. Lot of pitches :rolleyes:

Chips
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
And the Rocket retires the side. If only the Spanks and Angels game can go this long.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
It doesn't say much about the NL if the Astros are the league's second best team, or the Braves for that matter.

I'm not sure the Cards are that good either. They really pad wins in the NL Central

If Atlanta loses yet another division series do people start taking another look at them? Maybe they won all those division titles because the Mets, Phillies, Expos/Nats were not that good the past 15 years.

The Marlins have more to show than the Braves do

cheeses_h_rice
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Wow, them Braves hitters sure like swinging at crap way out of the zone, don't they?

:(:

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 06:25 PM
At least there is minimal excitement now, but that's mostly b/c the game is in the 16th inning. This seriously has been the least exciting 7 innings of playoff baseball. I am still pulling for the Braves so that we open Tuesday and not Wednesday.

chisoxmike
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
This game will never end.

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 06:29 PM
This game will never end.Houston has 9 hits in 17 innings and Atlanta has left 16 men on base. St. Louis has gotta be lovin' this.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Top of the 17th.McAnn grounds out on the 1st pitch.
This is now the longest playoff game in NLDS history.
It even tops the 16 inning game that the Mets won
in Houston in 1986.Who says this is boring??
Brian Jordan just turned a single into a double.
Stay tuned.

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Now Atlanta's 1-15 with runners in scoring position.

gf2020
10-09-2005, 06:38 PM
I am so torn here. I love Roger Clemens. However, if he gets the win, it makes it incredibly likely that the ALCS and NLCS are switched if Yanks win tonight.

There is no other Astros pitchers available to take the loss other than Oswalt and Clemens will have to go a few more inninngs before they consider doing that.

Chips
10-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I keep hoping the Braves will pull it out.

Chips
10-09-2005, 06:41 PM
I am so torn here. I love Roger Clemens. However, if he gets the win, it makes it incredibly likely that the ALCS and NLCS are switched if Yanks win tonight.

There is no other Astros pitchers available to take the loss other than Oswalt and Clemens will have to go a few more inninngs before they consider doing that.

Not to mention Oswalt just pitched yesterday.

ATXBMX
10-09-2005, 06:41 PM
:rooney

"So what's your scorecard look like?"

Chips
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
18 innings, I think I'll bet on St. Louis in game 1

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Game 5 is about to go into extra innings.:redneck

Chips
10-09-2005, 06:50 PM
This game reminds me of some overtime hockey playoffs I watched a few seasons back. I love long overtime games and I love long baseball games except that 16 inning disaster against the Twinks.

cburns
10-09-2005, 06:52 PM
These are the type of games that make you happy to have a good bullpen.

Kogs35
10-09-2005, 06:56 PM
on to the bottom of the 18th

gf2020
10-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Can you imagine if Clemens could hit a walkoff here?

cburns
10-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Can you imagine if Clemens could hit a walkoff here?

I was thinking that 3 innings ago.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
****. Hello Game 1 of the ALCS on Wednesday if the Yankees win tonight. I ****ing hate Bud Selig.

Dibbs
10-09-2005, 07:01 PM
****. Hello Game 1 of the ALCS on Wednesday if the Yankees win tonight. I ****ing hate Bud Selig.

Is this a fact?

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Hello Game 1 of the ALCS on Wednesday if the Yankees win tonight.Explain.

chisoxmike
10-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Wow.

What do the Braves have to do to win a postseason series?

gf2020
10-09-2005, 07:04 PM
There are rumors that Selig has agreed to switch the openers of the NLCS and ALCS if the Yankees win tonight due to the massive travel involved.

If the Braves had won, the Atlanta/Houston series would also have a game five and given the extra inninngs, it would have been unlikely for Selig to make them play Tuesday.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Is this a fact?

Not a fact, yet. But rampant speculation. And there was word that part of the agreement for playing Game 4 tonight, instead of this afternoon, was that if it went to 5 games and it was possible to move back the ALCS, they would. I really, really hope it does not happen. But it is definitely something I can see that idiot Selig doing. There is a thread or two about it in the Sox Clubhouse.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Wow.

Get a better team.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Roger Clemens wins his 13th postseason win and makes up for his terrible Game 2 start. I love extra inning / NHL overtime Playoff games!!!

I am not worried about the extra day off either. The White Sox are poised and ready to beat whoever, whenever and some extra tickets may become available with the change in dates.

I still wouldn't mind Anaheim closing it out tonight though their change of starter (on short rest) may prove to be costly.

Madvora
10-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Geeze, I can't imagine what it feels like to be a Braves fan. I can see why nobody goes to games in the first round.

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow, Clemens deserves a lot of credit for that pitching performance. It was nice to see him deflect the praise onto Burke. I'd say this game came down to stamina. The Braves starters all had eight plate appearances with the exception of LaRoche who was removed for Franco. Meanwhile the Astros had only Biggio, Ensberg, Lane and Ausmus in for the entire game. I think Burke being a little bit fresher and having a little more energy behind his swing was the difference.

SOXintheBURGH
10-09-2005, 07:28 PM
This game reminds me of some overtime hockey playoffs I watched a few seasons back. I love long overtime games and I love long baseball games except that 16 inning disaster against the Twinks.

Oh god.. my senior year of high school. Flyers vs. Penguins went til 2:52 am. God that was brutal.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2005, 07:31 PM
I love Roger Clemens.:?:

:puking:

elrod
10-09-2005, 07:57 PM
So much for boring NLDS games...:redface:

Chips
10-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh god.. my senior year of high school. Flyers vs. Penguins went til 2:52 am. God that was brutal.

That was the game I was thinking of, that and an Anaheim/Dallas or Anaheim/Detroit game. It's great to watch.

gf2020
10-09-2005, 08:06 PM
If I am Phil Gardner and they tell me that the NLCS is starting Tuesday after I just managed an 18 inninng game under the assumption that it's starting Wednesday, I would be furious.

LongLiveFisk
10-09-2005, 08:48 PM
So much for boring NLDS games...:redface:

Hell, today's game took the cake. 18 innings....zzzzzzzzzzz......

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 08:49 PM
If I am Phil Gardner and they tell me that the NLCS is starting Tuesday after I just managed an 18 inninng game under the assumption that it's starting Wednesday, I would be furious.

Exactly! MLB **** their own bed by pre-setting all of the playoff games for TV. Teams should just have to deal with it.

StillMissOzzie
10-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Wow.

Get a better bullpen, starting with dumping ex-ScRub Kyle Farnsworth.

SMO
:gulp: