PDA

View Full Version : A large get together?

South Side
10-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I read an idea on the whitesox.com board about opening the Cell for away games and watching the games on the big screen. I personally think that's a great idea, however, I don't know how feasible it is. Is that even something that can be suggested? It received some pretty negative responses though, one saying it was Cubbie like to sit in a stadium pretending something is going on? I don't get it... what does everyone think about this? I guess the Bulls did it during their glory years?

Brian26
10-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Well, I like the sentiment behind it.

I think it may be a bit more uncomfortable to sit in the cold temperatures at the Cell to watch the scoreboard as opposed to the rather plush United Center. Most fans would probably prefer to watch the road games in the comfort of their own home or at a bar.

milrtyme28
10-09-2005, 12:22 AM
That could be fun - key up the Sox intro and all. :) It would be fun for the comradrie ( comradry?) SP

It would really be srtange to pack the cell with no team on the field but I dont see anything wrong with it - it would be fun and boost revenue too. Why not do it?!

FielderJones
10-09-2005, 12:29 AM
It would really be srtange to pack the cell with no team on the field but I dont see anything wrong with it - it would be fun and boost revenue too. Why not do it?!

I think it would be tough to charge the same amount per seat to watch a game on the Jumbotron as you would charge to watch a game live. Yet, your fixed costs would be similar. You need security to keep people off Roger's field. You need people manning the concessions. You have no idea how many would show up. I think it's a large-risk small-reward situation for JR.

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I don't see how that's Cubbie like. The Urinal doesn't even have a Jumbotron to watch the games anyway.

JimmyJoe
10-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Why not charge a nominal cover charge, like $10, to watch the game in the Bullpen Bar? It couldn't cost that much to open it up, and the bar sales would generate alot of money.
The Sox could even do something classy like donate all precedes to Sox Charities.
I think there would be tons of interest in this.
What does everyone else think?

DumpJerry
10-09-2005, 01:14 AM
MarySwiss told me the D-Backs did it when they made the WS. However, I think Arizona is warmer than Chicago this time of year. I do like the idea!

South Side
10-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Oh Brooks... are you reading this? :cool:

MarySwiss
10-09-2005, 02:45 AM
MarySwiss told me the D-Backs did it when they made the WS. However, I think Arizona is warmer than Chicago this time of year. I do like the idea!

Actually, I don't think the D'Backs opened up BOB. What they did was put a Jumbotron out on the plaza for people to watch the games who could not get tickets for whatever reason. And they did this for home and away games; there was a large crowd outside in the plaza going nuts when the team inside took Game 7 from the Yanks.

However, it definitely is warmer out here this time of year, which could be a factor although I'm not sure why people would be colder watching the Sox than the Bears.

MUsoxfan
10-09-2005, 02:53 AM
My idea would be like a $5-$7 general admission limited to the lower deck. Eliminate beer vendors and charge less across the board for food and beverage.

Also....eliminate the "Pride Crew"....and I'm not only talking about for the playoffs

DSpivack
10-09-2005, 04:15 AM
The Bulls did it for the UC....sorry Jordan's last game as a Bull at the United Center [unfortunately, they were playing in Utah at the time]. That was $10, IIRC.

DumpJerry
10-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Actually, I don't think the D'Backs opened up BOB. What they did was put a Jumbotron out on the plaza for people to watch the games who could not get tickets for whatever reason. And they did this for home and away games; there was a large crowd outside in the plaza going nuts when the team inside took Game 7 from the Yanks.
oops. I stand corrected. Still, it would be a great thing to do.

Chips
10-09-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't think it would be too comfortable to watch a game on Jumbotron from the seats. I'd rather be in a bar or at a buddy's house. However, it's not a bad idea.

Chicago
10-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I'd go... probably not to everyone.. but to 1 just for the experience. Then its back home to watch in the warmth of the plasma.

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I'd go.

Maybe we can act it out on the field. I want to be Marte!!!!!!

SweetnesSox
10-09-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd go, since I can't afford/don't have time to go to a home game, it would be fun for the atmosphere of it all.

P.S. it's spelled "camaraderie". tough one, huh? one of those that you type out, look at it, delete it, retype, delete, then type out six different ways haha.

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 11:17 PM

P.S. it's spelled "camaraderie". tough one, huh? one of those that you type out, look at it, delete it, retype, delete, then type out six different ways haha.

Or........spellcheck :D:

South Side
10-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Don't kill me...Anyone want to e-mail Brooks?

SweetnesSox
10-10-2005, 10:39 AM
uhhh... it's my first day! haha who's brooks? sure I'll e-mail him i love bothering people :redneck

ChicagoHoosier
10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Anyone thought of renting out a bar or room at a bar for WSIers to all attend? Woudl have to get 100% committment from those that RSVPed yes, but may be a fun thing to do. And much warmer than the Cell.

South Side
10-11-2005, 01:21 AM
uhhh... it's my first day! haha who's brooks? sure I'll e-mail him i love bothering people :redneck

Brooks Boyer... The Sox's Marketing Director. It's not going to happen but it would be cool.